HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Question regarding three way trades

Old
02-18-2013, 11:48 PM
mibs

vCash: 500
Question regarding three way trades

Hi all,

I'm just curious on how three team trades done. Logically I would assume the all three teams would be aware of all parties involved in a trade, therefore team A would send a player to team B, and then team B would send that player to team C.

Now what really intrigues me is what if Team A sends a player to Team B, but without knowing that Team B would later send that player to team C.

For example, say Montreal were to trade Carey Price to any team except in the East and certainly not in their Division. Toronto would be interested in Price, but Montreal refuses to trade Price to them. Toronto would contact a Team in the West, say Vancouver, to acquire Price, then trade him to them, all the while not showing any intentions to trade him to Toronto.

To sum up, Montreal trades Price to Vancouver who they think they won't face that often, but indirectly gives their division rival Toronto a starting goaltender.

Surely future trade talks between Montreal and Vancouver would be limited and strained. I would like to know if any similar incident have happened in the past or even bizarre three team trades.

Thanks in advance!

mibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 12:13 AM
MessierII

The 3 teams have to sign off on the deal. They know all players and parties involved before the trade is finalised.

MessierII is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 12:16 AM
Canada4Gold

That doesn't mean the above example couldn't happen though, it just wouldn't be a 3 way trade. Montreal/Vancouver would have a 2 way trade and immediately after Toronto and Vancouver would have another 2 way trade.

Canada4Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 12:20 AM
mibs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessierII View Post
The 3 teams have to sign off on the deal. They know all players and parties involved before the trade is finalised.
But what the trade is broken down to two separate trades, meaning Team A trades to to B with no involvement with team C, then Team B trades to team C with no involvement with Team A. Once a player is acquired from a trade, isn't he the sole property of his new team, meaning his new team can do whatever they please with him?

Old
02-19-2013, 12:22 AM
Canada4Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mibs View Post
But what the trade is broken down to two separate trades, meaning Team A trades to to B with no involvement with team C, then Team B trades to team C with no involvement with Team A. Once a player is acquired from a trade, isn't he the sole property of his new team, meaning his new team can do whatever they please with him?
yes but that's not a 3 way trade, like I said above that's 2 seperate 2 team trades

Canada4Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 12:22 AM
MessierII

Quote:
What your describing isn't a 3 way trade then. It's 2 seperate 2 way trades.

MessierII is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 12:25 AM
Kane One
HFB Partner

vCash: 1691
In a three-team trade, each team knows who the other two teams are and all of the players involved.

In your scenario, it would be two separate trades involving two teams each time, like the above posters said.

02-19-2013, 12:28 AM
mibs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessierII View Post
What your describing isn't a 3 way trade then. It's 2 seperate 2 way trades.
Yes you are both correct. Then i guess my question would be has there been any cases where GMs were upset at other Gms for immediately flipping the traded player to their rivals?

Old
02-19-2013, 12:36 AM
Prairie Habs

Quote:
Yes you are both correct. Then i guess my question would be has there been any cases where GMs were upset at other Gms for immediately flipping the traded player to their rivals?
It happened last year with Quincey, don't know how the GMs felt about it though.

Prairie Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 12:46 AM
mibs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Habs View Post
It happened last year with Quincey, don't know how the GMs felt about it though.
Really? I always though it was a mutual three team trade. Thanks for the example.

Old
02-19-2013, 01:32 AM
TennisBalls

Anyone know of some "famous" - if you will, 3 way trades..?

TennisBalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 07:10 AM
ES

Oilers refused to trade Kurri to Kings (he wanted to go there playing again with Gretzky), in the end traded him to Flyers who then traded him to Kings.

To PHI: Kurri, Dave Brown, Corey Foster
To EDM: Scott Mellanby, Craig Berube, Craig Fisher

To LA: Kurri, Jeff Chychrun
To PHI: Steve Duchesne, Steve Kasper, 4th rounder

Also Claude Lemieux being traded from Devils to Islanders for Steve Thomas, then Islanders traded him to Avalanche for Wendel Clark.

ES is online now   Reply With Quote