HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Alex Galchenyuk Thread 10.0 - NHL'er! Edition

Closed Thread

Old
02-19-2013, 02:06 AM
habtastic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovejuice View Post
He's been outstanding on the back check and was harder on the puck and the man. 4 pm! He's also getting some good wristers on goal, but this ain't junior, and he needs to get more in the slot. NHL goalies will easily stop the unscreened wide shots most of the time.
Unfortunately, I think he'll only be able to do that using toe drags and other moves until his musculature catches up with his frame. That or just being smart/HIM being set up by linemates rather than the other way. He's doing a great job with what he's got, but I doubt you disagree. I also want to see him rip one from the slot!

Old
02-19-2013, 02:25 AM
Nicko999

vCash: 50
This guy is unreal... don't forget he missed a full year of development so it is almost as if he is 17.

Give him time and he'll be a regular PPG player.

Old
02-19-2013, 08:15 AM
Patccmoi

In the last 2 very tight games we had (last night and vs Florida) it's his high level puck skills that managed to break it open. We don't have a single other player in the team that will actually try to do these dangles when facing opposing D-men, and it's the kind of play that buys time, draws opposing players to him and lets other players get opened for a pass. In the last 2-3 years we had a really hard time facing solid defensive systems or a hot goalie because we didn't have any high end skill player like that that could force something to happen, and now it's a HUGE asset to have him.

When he learns to position himself for a shot (cause he clearly has one hell of a shot), and how to play on the PP in the NHL, he's going to be a serious offensive threat in the league. He's really impressing me a whole lot up to now, I never expected him to be this good this year, and he just seems to be improving steadily as the season progresses even though opposing teams are starting to pay attention to him more and more.

Old
02-19-2013, 08:35 AM
Andrighetto Fabolous
Ghetto

He should get some more time on the powerplay, Cole and Gionta have been garbage on the powerplay and his shot, stickhandling and vision is needed up front on the PP.

Pacioretty - Desharnais - Galchenyuk would be perfect..

Old
02-19-2013, 08:39 AM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyman View Post
I thought this was probably one his best games of the season. Seems to be finally adjusting to the speed and style of the game now. I wouldn't be surprised if he lights it up soon, they way he was playing tonight was reminiscent of his play in Sarnia. I've seen most of the games this year, while racking up a nice bill with OHL stream lol. He's getting that confidence back with the puck again and needs to continue shooting. This kid's ability to adapt astounds me, and we're just beginning to see what he'll be able to do with the puck.
I have also seen about 80% of his games in Sarnia this year, and I agree he is getting there. Right now he is still making baby steps in the NHL but you can see he is getting really better each game, way more so than any regular 18-19 yr old rookie should be able to do. Having said that he is a far cry from playing the way he did towards the end of his stint before he got sent off to the WJC, where he was flat out controlling the pace of the game and being a dominant force. If he can get to playing like that in the NHL this year at all, that would be a marvel. And I'm not saying he should be dominating games and getting 5 ppg each night but just playing with the poise and confidence like he did then.

Old
02-19-2013, 08:47 AM
strutsboa

Don't know where do find the stats, but I think that Galchenyuk should be leading the league in primary assist at even strenght (all his 8 assists has been that).

Only Vanek, Crosby, St Louis, Voracek (10 even strenght assists each) and Zetterberg, Kunitz, Duchene, S Koivu, Kadri (9 even strenght assists each) has a possibility of beating Galchenyuk and I think it's highly unlikely that anyone of those has 9 primary assists or more.

If Galchenyuk had a couple of goals extra and a few points on the power play, he would have had unreal numbers.

Great start, feels exciting!

Old
02-19-2013, 09:46 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
MVP

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by strutsboa View Post
Don't know where do find the stats, but I think that Galchenyuk should be leading the league in primary assist at even strenght (all his 8 assists has been that).

Only Vanek, Crosby, St Louis, Voracek (10 even strenght assists each) and Zetterberg, Kunitz, Duchene, S Koivu, Kadri (9 even strenght assists each) has a possibility of beating Galchenyuk and I think it's highly unlikely that anyone of those has 9 primary assists or more.

If Galchenyuk had a couple of goals extra and a few points on the power play, he would have had unreal numbers.

I don't think the NHL keeps that stat.

Old
02-19-2013, 10:03 AM
FuzzyWuzzy
I'm still alive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
I don't think the NHL keeps that stat.
The NHL keeps all the stats, especially the ones that are easy to trace like 1st vs 2nd assists. They just dont publish all the stats they keep. An hockey analyst would probly be able to call up the NHL stats bureau and ask for the numbers.

Old
02-19-2013, 04:38 PM
zzoo

At this pace, on a 82-games schedule, Galchenyuk will have 48 points (5 goals, 43 assists). How do you find his performance ?

I remember that Thornton and Lecavalier had horrible first season, right ?

Last edited by zzoo: 02-19-2013 at 04:50 PM.
Old
02-19-2013, 04:42 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzoo View Post
At this pace, on a 82-games schedule, Galchenyuk will have 48 points (5 goals, 43 assists). How do you find his performance ?

I remember that Thornton and Lecavalier had horrible first season too, right ?
In what world is Galchenyuk having a horrible first season?

Old
02-19-2013, 05:15 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
In what world is Galchenyuk having a horrible first season?
Zzoo is...something else.

Old
02-19-2013, 05:19 PM
DenverHabsFan

Gally has the most unusual style I've seen. He does everything so fast you have to watch the replay to figure out what he was trying to do. The goal by Prust was a good example. His passes come at 100 mph so he needs wingers who are very alert. I don't think it's going to work out with Cole. I'd like to see him play with Bourque at some point. Bourque can handle the crash the net and score type of plays.

Old
02-19-2013, 05:29 PM
JAVO16

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzoo View Post

I remember that Thornton and Lecavalier had horrible first season, right ?
43 assists is damn near elite in terms of assist number. 5 goals is nothing to write home about but I expect his goalscoring to catch up.

Old
02-19-2013, 05:51 PM
jedimyrmidon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAVO16 View Post
43 assists is damn near elite in terms of assist number. 5 goals is nothing to write home about but I expect his goalscoring to catch up.
Sort of like in Sarnia where his goal totals were lower at the beginning of the season and then he just 'decided' to start scoring them himself until he was tied with the lead at 27G before leaving for the WJCs.

I think if Therrien wanted him on the PP, he could have more goals by now. Anyways, as long as he keeps working and maintaining his shot, he'll eventually start scoring.

Old
02-19-2013, 06:00 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimyrmidon View Post
Sort of like in Sarnia where his goal totals were lower at the beginning of the season and then he just 'decided' to start scoring them himself until he was tied with the lead at 27G before leaving for the WJCs.

I think if Therrien wanted him on the PP, he could have more goals by now. Anyways, as long as he keeps working and maintaining his shot, he'll eventually start scoring.
My thoughts exactly. At the beginning of the season in Sarnia, the only goals he was scoring were off rebounds. Then he started scoring them in all sorts of different ways.

The main problem is that his team-mates, for whatever reason, are unable to get him the puck cleanly in good scoring position. If he gets a shot on net it's because he carried the puck to the place from which he shot it.

Old
02-19-2013, 06:12 PM
Habaddict

There will come a point, whether this year or next, when he becomes
comfortable with his ability to make plays. Then he'll start to do a lot
more himself. And likely find ways to use that impressive shot.

I imagine the coach will recognize this and use him a lot more. Although
the PP is the one area I'd like to see him play more now. I think he can
already contribute. And there he can get comfortable with more room to
operate.

Old
02-19-2013, 06:58 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Galchenyuk watch....thanks to Guillaume Lefrançois from Radio-Canada....

Quote:
Avec 9 pts, Alex Galchenyuk grimpe au 3906e rang de l'histoire de la #LNH, égal avec Timothy Coulis et Pierre Sévigny
https://twitter.com/GLefrancoisRC/st...15121485819904

Pretty sure that this way....we could make that thread the thread that can last the longest on any board....

Old
02-19-2013, 08:51 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by strutsboa View Post

3rd in the league in number of 1ry assists, behind Kadri and Crosby. 1st in the league per unit time, just ahead of Nazim Kadri.

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/rati...0&sortdir=DESC

He and Gallagher are on a bit of an unsustainable run in offense, no way they keep going at the rate they did. But its an encouraging begining for the rookies.

Old
02-19-2013, 09:05 PM
That Habs Fan
CH fan in TO

his goal tonight, and what he did to set it up.

wow, just wow

Old
02-19-2013, 09:39 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
MVP

vCash: 567
In 3 of our last 4 games, he's set-up the GWG or scored it.

Clutchness.

What a gem. Last year was so worth it.

Old
02-19-2013, 09:43 PM
Habsfan18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
In 3 of our last 4 games, he's set-up the GWG or scored it.

Clutchness.

What a gem. Last year was so worth it.
You got that right. Suffered for a short period, but look at the special talent we acquired 3rd overall. Worth it in my books. We will be better off now and in the future for it.

02-19-2013, 09:44 PM
GalHabsGal

Rookie stats

1 Cory Conacher TBL C 14 5 8 13 +1
2 Vladimir Tarasenko STL R 15 6 6 12 -1
3 Alex Galchenyuk MTL C 16 2 8 10 +9

Old
02-19-2013, 09:44 PM
kassian
Emelin's face plate

So lucky for this team to have Galchenyuk. This guy's got major talent and cajones. Haven't been this excited about a prospect for a while.

Old
02-19-2013, 09:45 PM
LaurentHabs
Wat.

Chuckie GWG, He gets the 4 digit wager Prust put for the game

Old
02-19-2013, 09:46 PM
pine*

Thank god we tanked it last year.

Closed Thread