Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

Jets @ Sabres - Tues Feb 19 - 6 PM CT (7 ET / 1 CET) - "Lecture Series"

Closed Thread

Old
02-19-2013, 08:35 AM
Crazed Fan

vCash: 500
Jets need to snap this losing streak tonight. 6-3 Jets.
Hainsey gets a goal tonight. Its happening.
PP also gets one.

Old
02-19-2013, 08:37 AM
Nothing Is New

Like the Jets in this one. Buffalo has some heated, big name rivalries and may be looking past the Jets - which will be fatal mistake.
Also the story of the coaches in this game is interesting. Both teams are on the brink of falling into the also-ran half of the playoff race - out of contention in reality. There are grass root rumblings about both coaches. Not inconceivable that a loss here for either team could even trigger a fire sale and seal the fate of the losing coach.

Old
02-19-2013, 08:43 AM
Huffer

vCash: 50
Need a win in a big way to start this road trip.

Old
02-19-2013, 08:44 AM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator
Away, PM another mod

vCash: 666
What's the deal with Winnipeg's PK? Small sample size .. juggling and/or bad personnel .. run into a buzz saw of a PP .. combo platter?

I ask because Buffalo's PP has been abysmal this month at a 2-for-34 clip. We struggle with zone entries and have been only so-so with our in-zone offense of late, as there has been a real lack of movement in our units, keeping the puck to the outside in the few times we do gain the zone. Also, our go-to entry is similar to this diagrammed drop and carry, where our puck carrier is frequently dispossessed in the NZ or it's defended well enough that we're forced to retrieve a dump-in that more often than not is iced quickly.

In sum, I want to know if you think Winnipeg's PK will be a remedy for Buffalo's PP woes .. or if you've seen enough improvement lately that you think you can defend that type of zone entry and Vanek's net front presence when we're in-zone?

Old
02-19-2013, 08:45 AM
cbcwpg

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothing Is New View Post
Like the Jets in this one. Buffalo has some heated, big name rivalries and may be looking past the Jets - which will be fatal mistake.
Also the story of the coaches in this game is interesting. Both teams are on the brink of falling into the also-ran half of the playoff race - out of contention in reality. There are grass root rumblings about both coaches. Not inconceivable that a loss here for either team could even trigger a fire sale and seal the fate of the losing coach.
Lindsay Ruff has been with Buffalo since 1997. Sabres are more than happy with him. He's not going anywhere.

Noel has a gimme thru at least the next season, so he's not going anywhere.

As far as the game, Jets win as long as they can keep Buffalo from scoring 3 goals.

Old
02-19-2013, 08:50 AM
cbcwpg

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodhouse View Post
What's the deal with Winnipeg's PK?
It's BAD, as in B - A - D.

And you can see it in the players. As soon as they take a penalty, the player who gets called skates to the penalty box with his head down in shame because he knows he just cost the Jets a goal against. Seriously, how can you win a game where you absolutely know 1 out of every 3 penalties is going to result with the puck in your net.

Old
02-19-2013, 08:51 AM
DespoticNewt

vCash: 234
Quote:
What's the deal with Winnipeg's PK? Small sample size .. juggling and/or bad personnel .. run into a buzz saw of a PP .. combo platter?

I ask because Buffalo's PP has been abysmal this month at a 2-for-34 clip. We struggle with zone entries and have been only so-so with our in-zone offense of late, as there has been a real lack of movement in our units, keeping the puck to the outside in the few times we do gain the zone. Also, our go-to entry is similar to this diagrammed drop and carry, where our puck carrier is frequently dispossessed in the NZ or it's defended well enough that we're forced to retrieve a dump-in that more often than not is iced quickly.

In sum, I want to know if you think Winnipeg's PK will be a remedy for Buffalo's PP woes .. or if you've seen enough improvement lately that you think you can defend that type of zone entry and Vanek's net front presence when we're in-zone?
Our PK is slightly less anemic than our PP. Our PP consists of getting the puck to the point and shooting. Clog up the neutral zone and you won't have a problem.

Old
02-19-2013, 09:18 AM
seanbarrett

i will be at this game tonight and the last jets game i attended in buffalo was when johnny "laserbeam" oduya won it for us in ot last january , so hoping to see another big win!

Old
02-19-2013, 09:30 AM
Sweech
COYS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DespoticNewt View Post
Our PK is slightly less anemic than our PP. Our PP consists of getting the puck to the point and shooting. Clog up the neutral zone and you won't have a problem.
I'd actually say our PP consists of dumping the puck in. Fighting along the boards for awhile and then chasing the puck back into our own zone.

Rinse, repeat.

Old
02-19-2013, 09:31 AM
Tdoe42

Quote:
What's the deal with Winnipeg's PK?
It has been a bit better of late but we are a team that is finding ways to lose just Dumb penalty's at the worst times... I think the team needs a Old Miller pep talk!!

Old
02-19-2013, 09:54 AM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator
Away, PM another mod

vCash: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by darksociety View Post
Lines/pairings subject to change.

Space reserved for game day updates.
Lines from Buffalo's morning skate:

26 Thomas Vanek ("A") - 19 Cody Hodgson - 29 Jason Pominville ("C")
82 Marcus Foligno - 63 Tyler Ennis - 36 Patrick Kaleta
9 Steve Ott - 55 Jochen Hecht - 42 Nathan Gerbe
32 John Scott - 8 Cody McCormick - 21 Drew Stafford ("A")
(25 Mikhail Grigorenko)

24 Robyn Regehr - 57 Tyler Myers
10 Christian Ehrhoff - 52 Alexander Sulzer
33 TJ Brennan - 6 Mike Weber
(3 Jordan Leopold - 44 Andrej Sekera*LBI*)

30 Ryan Miller
1 Jhonas Enroth

Old
mzappa
Jets fans in space

High scoring one tonight, no defence on either end.

Jets 8-7 in OT.

Old
Nothing Is New

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcwpg View Post
Lindsay Ruff has been with Buffalo since 1997. Sabres are more than happy with him. He's not going anywhere.

As far as the game, Jets win as long as they can keep Buffalo from scoring 3 goals.
Not so sure about, Ruff. You may be right, but the a new owner may opt for a different style hockey. If I were in Buffalo , I think I would be tired of Buffalo style hockey.

Old
02-19-2013, 09:57 AM
mzappa
Jets fans in space

Buffalo-style hockey should have won the Cup if it wasnt for the infamous non-skate in the crease-call......NO GOAL HULL!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothing Is New View Post
Not so sure about, Ruff. You may be right, but the a new owner may opt for a different style hockey. If I were in Buffalo , I think I would be tired of Buffalo style hockey.

Old
02-19-2013, 09:59 AM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGinYYZ View Post
Excellent job, darksociety!

Looking forward to another hard working game - GAA has to change at some point, given the SA given up, and puck luck eventually has to change as well. Might as well be tonight, against another team that's struggling in a similar manner to the Jets.

Go Go!
agreed.

we play this game like we did the last three and we win, unless miller stands on his head.

I still don't understand the panic, the last three games we have played really good, they've just been against really good teams

We play like we did the last three games we'll win. I just hope they don't get away from it thinking it's not working. Underdogs are underdogs for a reason, you can't upset everytime.

If we lose this game then i'll start to get concerned. But with the way we played the last three, there is no reason for us to lose.

Old
02-19-2013, 10:15 AM
mzappa
Jets fans in space

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bre...191781241.html

i love the WFP article reader comments, they deserve a massive ""

however this 5-game roadtrip is huge; anything but a ~ 3-2 record or better, and we'll be too far back to make up the playoff gap with all the 3 point games within the conference (qualitative estimate, need ~22 more wins now?).

Old
02-19-2013, 10:15 AM
GrandChelems

vCash: 2209
"ALL right boys, if you go out there and out work your opposition, it does not matter if you have less talent you will still w ... oh wait, this is the NHL where if you need talent to win."

Old
02-19-2013, 10:57 AM
Channelcat

vCash: 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcwpg View Post

Ruffs been on the hot seat for a couple of years now, as for Noel I really can't see him lasting to the end of next season. One thing for sure, Ruff will be in high demand........Noel, not so much.

Old
02-19-2013, 11:05 AM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

Quote:

Our PK was missing our best PK D man until the last two games Bogosian which hurt but our #1 issue has been Pavs save % which has been in the .700's during the PK........just brutal!! If Pavs continues his torrid PK save % pace we should be able to fix your PP issues (here to help)

Our PP has been uglier that on PK IMHO......probably the worst in the league if it wasn't for our crazy shooting % that has artificially bloated our stats.

5v5 we are actually a decent hockey team with sub standard goaltending.

Old
02-19-2013, 11:06 AM
RonJon

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanbarrett View Post
i will be at this game tonight and the last jets game i attended in buffalo was when johnny "laserbeam" oduya won it for us in ot last january , so hoping to see another big win!

Sigh, I miss "LaserBeam"

Old
02-19-2013, 11:11 AM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 264
Thanks to a combination of Louis Riel Day, nagging headache and rotten weather, I had a chance to rewatch a bunch of Jets games on GameCentre and not feel it was a total waste of time.

There's lots to like with this team at even strength. It might not get reflected in the stats and (more importantly) on the scoreboard, but more often than not, they seem to be doing the right things at 5 v 5. One guy who stood out to me on repeated viewings was Olli Jokinen. Say what you will about his lack of offensive production, but he's an insanely smart and hard-working player without the puck.

The biggest problem on the PP, aside from the fact it takes far too long to get the puck up ice, is that the Jets are really lacking players who can make penalty killers miss when they leave their box. They absolutely need guys who can keep opposing PKers honest, because teams are basically just playing aggressively as though it were even strength. EDIT: Wow, that sounds eerily similar to the Buffalo PP woes that Woodhouse just described.

Aside from some weak play in front of goal, the Jets penalty kill isn't nearly as bad as the numbers would indicate. Pavelec has to do a better job of tracking these shots from 30 feet and further. Many times he's been in position and just allows the shot to go through him.

Anyway, those are my thoughts. My biggest concern is that once the PP gets going and Pavelec starts playing decent, some other damned problem will start cropping up.

Old
02-19-2013, 11:15 AM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
Our PK was missing our best PK D man until the last two games Bogosian which hurt but our #1 issue has been Pavs save % which has been in the .700's during the PK........just brutal!! If Pavs continues his torrid PK save % pace we should be able to fix your PP issues (here to help)

Our PP has been uglier that on PK IMHO......probably the worst in the league if it wasn't for our crazy shooting % that has artificially bloated our stats.

Woop woop
PS21 knows what's going on.

Old
02-19-2013, 11:17 AM
Yukon Joe

vCash: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post

Yeah - 5v5 we're looking pretty good, getting quality chances.

But our special teams in general are atrocious. Which coach is in charge of special teams anyways?

Old
02-19-2013, 11:22 AM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
Woop woop
PS21 knows what's going on.
very good stats guys who follow the Jets that lay it all out for us

Old
02-19-2013, 11:31 AM
DespoticNewt

vCash: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Joe View Post
Yeah - 5v5 we're looking pretty good, getting quality chances.

But our special teams in general are atrocious. Which coach is in charge of special teams anyways?
One newly acquired Perry Pearn and I believe Pascal Vincent.

Closed Thread