HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)

How far do the Toronto Maple Leafs Go?

View Poll Results: How far do the Leafs Go?
Miss Playoffs 189 45.54%
First Round Defeat 138 33.25%
Second Round Defeat 42 10.12%
Third Round Defeat 5 1.20%
Finals Defeat 5 1.20%
Stanley Cup Champs 36 8.67%
Voters: 415. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-19-2013, 04:14 AM
Horseradish

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYjetsTOleafs View Post
saying we miss the playoffs really speaks for those who don't watch the games.
Right. That makes sense. Believing that a team that has missed the playoffs for close to a decade will miss the playoffs doesn't make sense cuz "you're not watching the games".

But making the playoffs is a likelihood because the same team has played well through 15 games.

Makes perfect sense. Nobody's saying "Leafs'll finish last"...there are just more teams who are better than them. Pittsburgh, NJ, Boston, NYR, Tampa, and Philly are all clearly better teams in my mind. I'd take Carolina, Montreal, and Buffalo (if they ever click for any significant stretch) over them as well. And I'm also predicting a 9th or 10th place finish in the East. It would be foolish to predict anything higher than 7th in the East, so why is 9th/10th/11th so far-fetched?

Horseradish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 09:02 AM
Atomos2
TheGrimLeafProspects

Quote:
Originally Posted by beauchamp View Post
It doesn't matter. You can cut and paste what appears in your browser.
Thanks, but if I put it in the quotes, it'll just be a whole bunch of quotes with no context. Here's the link

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...rielly&page=38

LD Morgan Rielly - Moose Jaw Warriors, WHL (2012 Draft)
Post #950 is where sharks9 basically hijacks the thread (exaggerating a bit) and makes it mostly about Rielly vs Galchenyuk and that Leaf fans homerism is making Rielly better than he is. (Although I am aware there is an initial post that starts him off on this rant.)

I don't mean to vere off topic here, I just didn't know if anyone would be interested.

Atomos2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 09:16 AM
Proust

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post
you don't know what our identity is? it's pretty clear we are a tough physical team that works hard and NEVER turns a fight down
I'm pretty sure you explained their identity below.

Quote:
some of you need to watch games and realize this team is no longer soft. Now that they have a good coach ghey are on the rise.

Proust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 09:19 AM
PensBandwagonerNo272
the march

vCash: 450
They'll miss the playoffs.

Yes they're in contention to make it now. They are ALWAYS "in contention" to start the season.

Then once other teams get it together and the pressure's on, the Leafs fall off.

It happens every year. It'll happen again.

The solution to all the Leafs problems: Give up the dream, start rebuilding from the net out.

Not trading for Luongo when they had the chance is just another embarrassing mistake by Toronto's management.

PensBandwagonerNo272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 09:22 AM
sharks9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomos2 View Post
Thanks, but if I put it in the quotes, it'll just be a whole bunch of quotes with no context. Here's the link

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...rielly&page=38

LD Morgan Rielly - Moose Jaw Warriors, WHL (2012 Draft)
Post #950 is where sharks9 basically hijacks the thread (exaggerating a bit) and makes it mostly about Rielly vs Galchenyuk and that Leaf fans homerism is making Rielly better than he is. (Although I am aware there is an initial post that starts him off on this rant.)

I don't mean to vere off topic here, I just didn't know if anyone would be interested.
Lol what did I say that was wrong? One poster said Rielly was more consistent than Galchenyuk, clearly the stats showed he had been inconsistent offensively.

sharks9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 09:25 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
Must be exciting for Leafs fans. I can't even imagine what it would be like to see the team you follow not play a playoff game for almost a decade. I think that streak ends this season but of course I wouldn't mind seeing a collapse and them missing out on the final day.

Tuggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 09:47 AM
Spazmatic Dan
The Circle of Leaf

Why is it that every single Leaf thread quickly devolves into a major ***** fest? Is it not possible to talk about the Leafs without picking fights? Sorry for the rant but I came into the thread to read the opinions of other fanbases as to the Leafs' chances and all I get is Leafs vs. Habs and Rielly vs. Galchenyuk. I'm surprised it hasn't turned into another freakin' Kessel trade debate. Its ridiculous.

In all honesty if they keep up this play I think they make it. I don't think they'll go deep or anything but I think a 6-8 finish is reaslitic. However, falling off the cliff last year has shattered any confidence I had in the team (which isn't much) so my pessimistic side says miss.

I'll go with optimism today and say first round exit. Would finally show some good progress for the team...something to latch hope on to.

Spazmatic Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 09:48 AM
Atomos2
TheGrimLeafProspects

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharks9 View Post
Lol what did I say that was wrong? One poster said Rielly was more consistent than Galchenyuk, clearly the stats showed he had been inconsistent offensively.
The types of comments can be perceived based on the type of reaction it causes from other posters. The fact that a habs fan who knew nothing about Rielly except that he just became a leaf prospect, comes into the Rielly prospects board just to argue that Rielly isn't as good as his own prospect based on one look at the stats sheet online, despite not even knowing how to spell his name, is what made me lose respect for you in terms of bias and objectivity. I don't want to get into this again cuz it'll just piss me off even more.

My apologies to the other posters that would like to concentrate on the Leafs and their future success/lack of future success.

Atomos2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 09:49 AM
KeziaTML

vCash: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spasmatic Dan View Post
Why is it that every single Leaf thread quickly devolves into a major ***** fest? Is it not possible to talk about the Leafs without picking fights? Sorry for the rant but I came into the thread to read the opinions of other fanbases as to the Leafs' chances and all I get is Leafs vs. Habs and Rielly vs. Galchenyuk. I'm surprised it hasn't turned into another freakin' Kessel trade debate. Its ridiculous.
The main reason why I'm viewing and posting less on these forums.

I'd like to make the playoffs first and then go from there. Anything can happen once you get to the dance, but we need to get the invite first.

KeziaTML is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 09:56 AM
Indy on the Road
From the ground up

I would love to see a 4-5 matchup with the Habs and the Leafs. That would be fun to watch both on TV and here. You would have to start paying mods to go anywhere near the fallout zone.

With the makeup of the East, it's entirely possible too.

As for the poll question, they'll make the playoffs at least, finally.

Indy on the Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 10:19 AM
The Saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeziaTML View Post
The main reason why I'm viewing and posting less on these forums.

I'd like to make the playoffs first and then go from there. Anything can happen once you get to the dance, but we need to get the invite first.
I used to be easily agitated from 2002-2006 as a result of the constant bickering and general attacks the Leafs and their fans would get on the main boards here at HF. I was posting under a different username then.

However, I think my attitude has changed. Posters such as sharks9 come and go and their attitudes and vitriol directed towards the Leafs and their fans reflect more upon themselves than anything else.

The Saurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 11:50 AM
bdawg1989*

And here we go again... for the 10th year in a row.

Leafs early in the season ALWAYS do well. Everytime it's the same thing.

Leafs fans claiming that they will make the playoffs, yadda yadda. And every single year for the past 9 years... N O T H I N G.

Excuse us, if we doubt your team... but you Leafs fans always start dreaming early on in the season and spam the forum with Leafs threads... to only have your team fail.

I actually wish you guys make the playoffs, because 10 years is just too long lol, that and the fact that maybe the main board won't be flooded by Leafs threads. Still voted no. Goalies need more experience.

bdawg1989* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 12:05 PM
iPunch
Leafs Fan

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdawg1989 View Post

Leafs fans claiming that they will make the playoffs, yadda yadda. And every single year for the past 9 years... N O T H I N G.

Excuse us, if we doubt your team... but you Leafs fans always start dreaming early on in the season and spam the forum with Leafs threads... to only have your team fail.

I actually wish you guys make the playoffs, because 10 years is just too long lol, that and the fact that maybe the main board won't be flooded by Leafs threads. Still voted no. Goalies need more experience.
Reminds me of Habs fans finishing 27th and thinking the storm is over. I'm not so sure.

Last edited by iPunch: 02-19-2013 at 12:10 PM.
iPunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 12:13 PM
bdawg1989*

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPunch View Post
Reminds me of Habs fans finishing 27th and thinking the storm is over. I'm not so sure.
Dunno why you're mentionning the Habs as this poll is about the Leafs. If you wanna find out what people think of the Habs chances at making the playoffs, go make a poll bro.

bdawg1989* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 12:32 PM
InjuredChoker

I think they'll miss but wouldn't surprise at all if they make it.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 12:43 PM
The Saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdawg1989 View Post

The Leafs did well early in the season one year: last year. If you're going to argue something, know the facts. Unless, of course, you're young enough that one year ago feels like a decade.

The Saurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 12:52 PM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
Really? cause I haven't seen us turn down one this year
I was at the Bruins - leafs game @ ACC. Phaneuf turned down Lucic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven25 View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xz54yhWvWu0
Nah

First round exit if they get in. They'll be in the dogfight for 8th
Thanks for proving my point. Horton (who doesn't even wear a visor takes off his helmet) Phaneuf who does wear a visor refuses to take off his helmet/visor.

Phaneuf is a coward.

Neely2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 12:58 PM
Lebowski

The Leafs always have those hot streaks that give hope to their fans, only to let them down shortly after the start to see the light at the end of the tunnel. They are on one of these hot streaks now. I just don't think they can sustain that kind of success for a long time. Not sold on their goalies, nor on their defense.

I can see 4 or 5 teams that are currently below them in the standings that could eventually pass them. However, this short season and the points they've been able to put in bank early on might be what saves them by the end of the season. Regardless, I could see them get past round one if they face the SE top seed. Not likely if they have to face the Bruins or Pittsburgh, though.

Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 01:00 PM
Kirk Mclean
The best there is...

Can't vote, but definitely miss the playoffs. Swept by the #1 seed in the first round if they manage to squeeze in.

Kirk Mclean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 02:04 PM
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensBandwagonerNo272 View Post
They'll miss the playoffs.

Yes they're in contention to make it now. They are ALWAYS "in contention" to start the season.

Then once other teams get it together and the pressure's on, the Leafs fall off.

It happens every year. It'll happen again.

The solution to all the Leafs problems: Give up the dream, start rebuilding from the net out.

Not trading for Luongo when they had the chance is just another embarrassing mistake by Toronto's management.
I can't tell if you're a troll or just ignorant.

Leafs have never been good starters outside of last season. They usually play poorly the first half then pick it up in the last half when the pressure's off.

And I think the only embarrassing thing is you thinking not trading for Luongo was a mistake. They wanted Kadri and Bozak as well as a pick or possibly Gardiner. No way in hell we give that up and Kadri and Bozak have been two of our biggest contributors thus far. Mortgaging the future would be reminiscent of what the Leafs have been doing for oh, the last few decades now? Besides, our goaltending has been strong this season. Both our goalies are playing really well and have .920+ sv%'s and the team's defense is also vastly improved.

LeafOfBread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 02:06 PM
Kershaw

IMO they have a good chance to win it all. Rookie goalies are hard to read, see Ward and Roy.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 02:06 PM
Affinity

Swept in the first round if they do make it.

Affinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 02:08 PM
Hanta Yo
Bag it up

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saurus View Post
The Leafs did well early in the season one year: last year. If you're going to argue something, know the facts. Unless, of course, you're young enough that one year ago feels like a decade.
You would think with such conviction, they would actually know what they're talking about.

Hanta Yo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 02:11 PM
M Gaz
Gogo Yubari

Lose in the first round in 4 or 5 games.

M Gaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 02:15 PM
Man Bear Pig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
I was at the Bruins - leafs game @ ACC. Phaneuf turned down Lucic.

Thanks for proving my point. Horton (who doesn't even wear a visor takes off his helmet) Phaneuf who does wear a visor refuses to take off his helmet/visor.

Phaneuf is a coward.
I wonder if Milan will turn down Orr? Dion picks and chooses his battles, just like the Bruins. Reality check.

Man Bear Pig is offline   Reply With Quote