HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2012-13 Season Thread (Part 8)

Closed Thread

Old
02-18-2013, 11:31 PM
OHLTG

vCash: 500
Haha, I know why Ty dressed. It's all good. Hopefully he gets in before the London game next week.

I forgot about the Graham goal. He's a shifty little guy and I like that. Just too bad the goal came with very little fanfare.

Old
02-19-2013, 12:36 AM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Percyma View Post
There is no rule or understanding that a team cannot host the Memorial Cup if they miss the play-offs the season before. I believe you are referring to an article where Boughner was quoted as saying that you canít host the cup if you miss the play-offs the season before.
There is no official rule, but unofficially they will be toast if they miss the playoffs. The CHL worries about host cities getting embarrassed with this format - that's why Boughner likely said what he did. I don't recall a team that has won the bid to host after missing the playoffs. I would be surprised if you could find a team that wasn't at least .500 (maybe even .600) the season before hosting the cup anytime recently.

Old
02-19-2013, 07:08 AM
SimonKnightsman

There may not be an official rule in Mem Cup bid with team making playoffs but it could also knock your list real quick with committee . Site, check....city/hotels/tics sold, check....quality team....not....and no first rounder in CHL draft. WR got greedy with his statement 2 years back cornering himself with his stance on Ellis, Kass.....11 pieces and something along the lines of Hunters deal with Mason. Who said about going back to the ATM again has it right. Build for 17 slowly wud be smartest move.

Old
02-19-2013, 07:19 AM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonKnightsman View Post
There may not be an official rule in Mem Cup bid with team making playoffs but it could also knock your list real quick with committee . Site, check....city/hotels/tics sold, check....quality team....not....and no first rounder in CHL draft. WR got greedy with his statement 2 years back cornering himself with his stance on Ellis, Kass.....11 pieces and something along the lines of Hunters deal with Mason. Who said about going back to the ATM again has it right. Build for 17 slowly wud be smartest move.
I would agree on everything u said except 1st rd draft pick and not having one,while it is important for dealing purposes,it should be noted that the Spits drafted Cam Fowler in the in the draft prior to their 1st mem cup,he did not show,was not moved, and the Spits won their 1st ever cup
The fact they they have 2 relatively high 1st rd picks in the Euro draft probably negates
the 1st rder from a talent perspective anyways,usually 17 or 18 year old Euros are more
ready to make an impact then 16 year old 1st rder
Just have to make the picks count

Old
02-19-2013, 07:56 AM
Spitsfan67*

They Need to absolutly strike gold with this high top 10 import pick and pick a player that they know is willing to come to north america, they need a player like Loktionov or Khokhlachev who can come in at 16/17 and put up 50+ points and will be an impact player right away. With the Second import id say either a good goalie that has tons of potential or another forward who can produce and again they HAVE to make sure they will come over, they cant afford a import to refuse to play here, And the Scouts and Rychel better be going hard scouting for the perfect second round pick, i mean you can still hit the jackpot in the Second round(Henrique ,Cundari,Ellis,Blacker,Watson,) All those guys are playing in the NHL or AHL and were all impact players here, if we can get a player like one of the five i mentioned id say were good without the first.

About the game to me the only bright spot was Dekort i thought he played solid and from what i was reading in the Star Dekort will see the net alot more in these last 11 games and thats great because Pavelka isnt coming back next year, Ho-Sang played a bit better but still tryed to go through the whole team and got stripped a couple times, and thats why he is on a line with Clark and Studnicka...if he does get by everyone and he has a good chance he should shoot the puck but instead right at the last second he tries to pass it off?. Khokhlachev looks like he packed it in and is just waiting for the season to end so he can go up to the AHL for the rest of the season. 0 for 8 on the PP is just unacceptable especially when you have not one but two 5 on 3's and one reason is because they are playing Clark on the Power Play.

This last month it should kind of be a try out for next season, see who battles hard and look for the kids that mail it in, put kids in some situations that they usually dont see and see how they perform, Im just so happy right now that there is no NHL Lockout because atleast will have something to watch.

Old
02-19-2013, 09:36 AM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitsfan67 View Post
They Need to absolutly strike gold with this high top 10 import pick and pick a player that they know is willing to come to north america, they need a player like Loktionov or Khokhlachev who can come in at 16/17 and put up 50+ points and will be an impact player right away. With the Second import id say either a good goalie that has tons of potential or another forward who can produce and again they HAVE to make sure they will come over, they cant afford a import to refuse to play here, And the Scouts and Rychel better be going hard scouting for the perfect second round pick, i mean you can still hit the jackpot in the Second round(Henrique ,Cundari,Ellis,Blacker,Watson,) All those guys are playing in the NHL or AHL and were all impact players here, if we can get a player like one of the five i mentioned id say were good without the first.

About the game to me the only bright spot was Dekort i thought he played solid and from what i was reading in the Star Dekort will see the net alot more in these last 11 games and thats great because Pavelka isnt coming back next year, Ho-Sang played a bit better but still tryed to go through the whole team and got stripped a couple times, and thats why he is on a line with Clark and Studnicka...if he does get by everyone and he has a good chance he should shoot the puck but instead right at the last second he tries to pass it off?. Khokhlachev looks like he packed it in and is just waiting for the season to end so he can go up to the AHL for the rest of the season. 0 for 8 on the PP is just unacceptable especially when you have not one but two 5 on 3's and one reason is because they are playing Clark on the Power Play.

This last month it should kind of be a try out for next season, see who battles hard and look for the kids that mail it in, put kids in some situations that they usually dont see and see how they perform, Im just so happy right now that there is no NHL Lockout because atleast will have something to watch.
Spitsfan67

Solid post agree with everything written,like I mentioned prior DeKort and Kuchmey
should be given the lions share of work the rest of the way,everybody else put on notice for those able to come back next year,the next 11 games are an audition
A couple of euros who have caught me eye are Gregoryi Dikushkin who is playing in Green Bay USHL and Nathan Walker who also is playing in the USHL,an Australian born
Czech trained player I think its Omaha,both are forwards 1 is a 95 born,the other the Aussie a 94 born,have decent numbers,the Russian has 10 and 10 in 4o games,while Walker has 13 pts in 13 pts for his team,it is the 2nd year in North America for Dikushkin,the 1st for Walker,both would be acclimated already,would play here 2 years,and unless u could 1 euro mi to play 3 years here,take 1 of these guys
In my view both would play in Windsor"s top 6-8 right away

Old
02-19-2013, 09:48 AM
SimonKnightsman

11 Legend....lol, come on now. The Fowler thing was cooked the day he failed to show in Kitch. The draw was Ellis, Hall, Henrique ect...ect . It's extremely hard to repeat building teams just ask the Hunter boys. 3 years back they decided no more short cuts and really tore it apart ....the fruits of this build will finally peek next year. I suspect too many fans and management in Windsor will unload a ton of pressure on this next import and that first kid picked in rnd 2 will be expected to thrive. London wanted and took O Mac last spring with their 2nd rnd 2 selection....he still is in B cuz of depth. The Hunters finally learned shortcuts don't only just fail they also drop you further down the well.

There is so many hopes next year in Windsor on players not even drafted yet. And by the way.....this draft is a good one but very top heavy.....2 rnds. Nothing like the 94 , 95 drafts.

Old
02-19-2013, 09:54 AM
Ottomatic

When 80% of teams make the play-offs, not making the play-offs should be a disqualifier. Especially when we're 11 points out of the last spot int he play-offs. Sorry Warren, you build a garbage team - you screwed up by not trading Ellis and Kassian, and will cost yourselves the hosting gig and millions. But hey, your son will get first round money - that was your ultimate goal both this year and your reason for buying minority ownership in the first place right?

Old
02-19-2013, 10:01 AM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
11 Legend....lol, come on now. The Fowler thing was cooked the day he failed to show in Kitch. The draw was Ellis, Hall, Henrique ect...ect . It's extremely hard to repeat building teams just ask the Hunter boys. 3 years back they decided no more short cuts and really tore it apart ....the fruits of this build will finally peek next year. I suspect too many fans and management in Windsor will unload a ton of pressure on this next import and that first kid picked in rnd 2 will be expected to thrive. London wanted and took O Mac last spring with their 2nd rnd 2 selection....he still is in B cuz of depth. The Hunters finally learned shortcuts don't only just fail they also drop you further down the well.

There is so many hopes next year in Windsor on players not even drafted yet. And by the way.....this draft is a good one but very top heavy.....2 rnds. Nothing like the 94 , 95 drafts.
Whether the Fowler thing was cooked or not ,that was not my point,it was that Windsor won a mem cup without using and dealing a 1st rder to win
unlike the 2nd year when Brassard was dealt to Belleville to get Grubauer and Cantin

Old
02-19-2013, 10:15 AM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:

This stuff about Fowler is ridiculous if you recall the Rangers had to put him back in the draft to get a draft pick back to enable them to complete the Scott Tregunna deal. Fowler was only put back into the draft a few weeks before the OHL Draft in 08. You're being disingenuous with what you're saying but being a London fan I expect that kind of garbage from you. Yes the Hunter's learned the hard way it's paid off with 1 OHL title I am amazed London doesn't win more titles you must be frustrated with a duo as smart as the Hunter's can't win more championships.

Old
02-19-2013, 10:28 AM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
This stuff about Fowler is ridiculous if you recall the Rangers had to put him back in the draft to get a draft pick back to enable them to complete the Scott Tregunna deal. Fowler was only put back into the draft a few weeks before the OHL Draft in 08. You're being disingenuous with what you're saying but being a London fan I expect that kind of garbage from you. Yes the Hunter's learned the hard way it's paid off with 1 OHL title I am amazed London doesn't win more titles you must be frustrated with a duo as smart as the Hunter's can't win more championships.
I agree re the Fowler situation, as for the Knights 1 mem cup in 12 is not sterling,nice
but does not top 2 in 7 thats for sure
Did the Spits under estimate this year yep,but not as disappointing as the Knights
losing to Windsor in 5 because they did not go out and get a goalie
Talk about under estimating ouch,Tavares trade became a waste

Old
02-19-2013, 10:28 AM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy kanuck View Post
There is no official rule, but unofficially they will be toast if they miss the playoffs. The CHL worries about host cities getting embarrassed with this format - that's why Boughner likely said what he did. I don't recall a team that has won the bid to host after missing the playoffs. I would be surprised if you could find a team that wasn't at least .500 (maybe even .600) the season before hosting the cup anytime recently.
Rimouski Oceanic in 07/08 won the bid to host the 09 Memorial Cup with a 33-37 record good for 13th overall in the league. Last year Saskatoon won the bid and only had a winning% of .57 and people were concerned about the Blades at that time. Now they have won 12 in a row and everybody has shutup. So 2 out of the last 4 hosts have either had an under .500 record or never reached this .600%.

Old
02-19-2013, 10:53 AM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post

5. I love when people around me talk about how the season is done. Last I looked, it's February 18. Sure, we've got a mountain to climb, but I'll be damned if I'm giving up. I've seen strange stuff happen in this league. My regular season ends with the home-and-home with Plymouth in March. If someone else wants to give up and say "we're done", the WFCU doors are down the concourse. Go enjoy the weird weather while I'm watching hockey.
This is just plain silly 11 points back with 11 games to play and over half of those 11 are against Plymouth and London. Heck even just talk about the 4 against Plymouth. Windsor hasn't been that competitive with Plymouth all year they would probably have to win at least 3 if not all 4. You can talk about strange things happening but it means nothing because Windsor needs to win almost all their games while Saginaw goes into the tank, that means Windsor needs help from other teams. Some people are emotionally spent from going through 57 games of poor hockey and they want to disconnect. Just because you're season ends in March doesn't mean others aren't entitled to pull the plug on the season. I am convinced all this rah rah sis boom bah is just a shtick on your part. When the time came last week to bet on the Spits making the playoffs you never came up with one. I doubt I could get you to bet on this either. When the Spits were 9 back I was willing to even give you 4 points. At this rate I would have to give you 7, this team has lost 5 in a row they have checked out look towards 13/14.

Old
02-19-2013, 11:57 AM
OHLTG

A shtick on my part? Seriously? You know, some of us actually care about this team and aren't ready to give up in February. Sure, we've got a mountain to climb, but I'd rather watch them climb it than sit at the bottom and go "ah screw it, too much effort. When do the Tigers start?" Though, I'm pretty sure you were there, Rayzor, back in September.

As for our bet - you were so hung up over the last one we never got a chance to make a bet for this. If you wanted to collect on the last one, you know where to find me. My apologies if the ONE time you actually come to collect, in five months, I was at work, where I couldn't pay up That said, I'm willing to bet on this one......if you are.

I don't know that the team has mailed it in, either. They were giving it their all out there last night and were very close in shots. They just couldn't solve Paterson. The Rychel penalty late in the third probably killed any momentum or confidence they had to tie it up, though.

Old
02-19-2013, 12:22 PM
KnightSpit

Playoffs, Team Perfromance and Next Year ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by etr102 View Post
Even if the playoffs are still mathematically possible, you don't get in there losing to teams like Ottawa and Kingston! If you can't beat Ottawa and Kingston then you don't stand a chance playing real teams like Plymouth and London.

I think our chances are over, but would be very happy if this team were to prove me wrong.

As OHLTG said, sweeping Saginaw could breath life into our chances.
Etr102
Well said and you are so right about not beating Ottawa and Kingston, even if the SPITS do make the palyoffs, how long does anyone think they would really last and my quesiton to you and all on this board is, for next year do you blow it up and start from scratch or what. if they finnish 3rd from the bottom of the entire OHL no where to go but up ???

Old
02-19-2013, 12:24 PM
KnightSpit

Razor
I say blow it up next year and start from scratch, just too many passengers on the team, what have you got to lose. Better to not make the playoffs and get your ass kicked in the process and work on things for next year

Old
02-19-2013, 12:44 PM
OHLTG

Who said London would beat us in seven games? We've done well against them so far this year. Who's to say we can't beat 'em?

Old
02-19-2013, 01:05 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Who said London would beat us in seven games? We've done well against them so far this year. Who's to say we can't beat 'em?
OHLTG

I know u are kidding,with Seiloff and Koekoek out there would no chance Windsor
wins in 7 vs London,to put in perspective,because of Windsor"s age on the backend
all 8 guys are 18 and under including Brown,take off Harrinton,Ferry,Sefton,and Hughes
from London"s D,leaving them Maata,Zadorov,Mermis,Liberati,Centorame and Delorenzo to get to the 18 and under,now take off Maata and Zadorov,their equivalent to Seiloff and Koekoek,and see if they win against a healthy Windsor squad
While I think Ebert,Murphy,Bateman and Sanvido are better then the remaining 4 London D- Mermis,Liberati,Centomame,and Delorenzo,I think u get my point,no chance if London had to face the same as Windsor

Old
02-19-2013, 01:47 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
A shtick on my part? Seriously? You know, some of us actually care about this team and aren't ready to give up in February. Sure, we've got a mountain to climb, but I'd rather watch them climb it than sit at the bottom and go "ah screw it, too much effort. When do the Tigers start?" Though, I'm pretty sure you were there, Rayzor, back in September.

As for our bet - you were so hung up over the last one we never got a chance to make a bet for this. If you wanted to collect on the last one, you know where to find me. My apologies if the ONE time you actually come to collect, in five months, I was at work, where I couldn't pay up That said, I'm willing to bet on this one......if you are.

I don't know that the team has mailed it in, either. They were giving it their all out there last night and were very close in shots. They just couldn't solve Paterson. The Rychel penalty late in the third probably killed any momentum or confidence they had to tie it up, though.
I take no pride in being right that this team would struggle. I think a good portion of fans thought they would be up against it when Koko went home and Rychel struck out in the import draft. Their poor road record, their poor goal differential, the lack of solid 19/20 year olds, the lack of preparation and poor discipline this all goes into the equation of why this team struggled.

It's a wise move that you didn't pay up because after this weekend it was a back breaker. I care how the team does but it's not worth any type of real investment at this point. I still think making the playoffs last year gave this organization a false sense of achievement hence why you saw very little movement from them in the offseason. They actually thought they had something but they really didn't have much.

Last night the game was summed up in the 1st minute when they gave up a breakaway to Locke and a few seconds later Ross put the Spirit up 1-0. This was just another time when the team gave up a goal in the 1st minute of a period which shows a lack of preparation.

Old
02-19-2013, 01:48 PM
aresknights

Delete

Last edited by aresknights: 02-19-2013 at 01:59 PM.
Old
02-19-2013, 01:56 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightSpit View Post
Razor
I say blow it up next year and start from scratch, just too many passengers on the team, what have you got to lose. Better to not make the playoffs and get your ass kicked in the process and work on things for next year
Not until you find out if you get the Memorial Cup or not. If they got to host it would be nice from the perspective of having a chance to win another one but I think this organization truly needs a reboot. There is more value in moving the likes of Sieloff, Vail, Rychel, Koekkoek and the list goes on as compared to trying to make some run.

Old
02-19-2013, 02:02 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by aresknights View Post
So if you take 6 of the Knights top seven D away....?

One difference you fail to mention would be the Spits young D have had all year to develop at the O level, Centorame and Dilorenzo havent, and Id still take the Knights in a head to head against this years Spits group. Just move Wely and Platzer back to D
I was making a point of a young def where all 8 are 18 and younger on Windsor:s backend,take out the 2 best,transposed it to London to make a pt further
Spits are 1-0 against London with all their changes this year,with Koeokkoek out
and the Knights with nobody missing during the 5-2 loss at London recently,what makes u think u could beat a full rostered Spit team with 6 of your D out and u employing 2 forwards on the backend,you can even have Fuller and Leroux back instead of Centarame and Delorenzo
Knights would get smoked
Too bad it wont happen lol

Old
02-19-2013, 02:47 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
I was making a point of a young def where all 8 are 18 and younger on Windsor:s backend,take out the 2 best,transposed it to London to make a pt further
Spits are 1-0 against London with all their changes this year,with Koeokkoek out
and the Knights with nobody missing during the 5-2 loss at London recently,what makes u think u could beat a full rostered Spit team with 6 of your D out and u employing 2 forwards on the backend,you can even have Fuller and Leroux back instead of Centarame and Delorenzo
Knights would get smoked
Too bad it wont happen lol
This is where London fans get crazy about all their great players. They still have that stud Jacob Jammes not even dressed I heard other teams were drooling over the possibility of getting him but Hunter wanted to hold on to him because he's a future 100 point guy starting next year.

Old
02-19-2013, 03:09 PM
aresknights

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
This is where London fans get crazy about all their great players. They still have that stud Jacob Jammes not even dressed I heard other teams were drooling over the possibility of getting him but Hunter wanted to hold on to him because he's a future 100 point guy starting next year.
Didn't hear that from me. And no ones getting crazy bout their great players. Fact is they are good enough for back to back reg season titles. And that's it at this point. Well save crazy for those who think by being a year older this spits squad will compete for league title next year.

HL ur scenario is irrelevant that's why I deleted my post.
Yes Windsor has a young D, you runWith the horses you have, not what ifs you took older players off teams wed be ok. I'm still not overly impressed with their returning players. Save for 5 or6
of them I doubt any would even make next years Knights squad.

Old
02-19-2013, 03:11 PM
aresknights

I was one saying move Jammes as early as the off season. Having said that he'd definitely be good enough to play F with this years Spits

Closed Thread