HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Raphael Diaz Appreciation Thread

Old
02-19-2013, 07:38 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 1100
Quote:
Originally Posted by HankyZetts View Post
???

Are you disagreeing or actually confused?

I'm saying that he could have some serious value around the league. If we are in the market for something, he could be a big piece.
Guys like Diaz never get full value. No one trading him based on the fact the return wouldn't be impressive. Too short a sample and no hype right now. There's other D to be moved in kaberle & weber. We do need to sign a gritty top 4 D next year though or acquire one sooner.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 07:48 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HankyZetts View Post
This guy is killing it out there. Such a smart and skilled player. Always making the right plays from my vantage point!

Could be some serious trade bait..
I don't see why we would trade him...at least not this year....or next year, he and Emelin are both signed to very reasonable deals considering their top 4 ice time. Combined they are giving us 40 minutes a game and at a 3.225 mil COMBINED cap hit.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 08:15 AM
jacklours

So I went to the game yesterday against Carolina. I hadn't been to the bell center in something like 7-8 years.

I was impressed with Diaz, you don't see his play on TV at all. He plays so smart all over the ice. He never puts himself in a bad situation. The complete opposite to PK.

There was a few times where I thought Diaz could make some solid bodychecks and intimidate the opposition, but he's not all that big and he also played these plays so well they had no where to go, so if I was his coach I couldn't really tell him to play different because it was played so well.

He always goes for the good simpler play. There is a difference between good simple and just simple. Dumping the puck on the board is simple, yet not often the best play. He always looks for an open man and yet manages to give himself room to find that man and all his passes are crisp on the tape.

It's no wonder Budaj didn't get more than 20 shots, with the D we have, the puck is dumped in and it goes back out with a nice clean pass that allows our forward to have control of the puck instead of chasing it.

Anyways, very impressed with Diaz, he isn't a top pairing d-man, but as a coach i'd feel very safe with him on the ice.

jacklours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 08:26 AM
Uber Coca

I think the new rules has been benefict for smaller defensemen. Not being able to hit a player seconds after he passed the puck gives more time for a breakout pass. Anyway, I didn't like Diaz last year but he's been steady this year. Good for him and the team.

Uber Coca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 08:33 AM
FuzzyWuzzy
I'm still alive

Love Diaz but he was really atrocious on the PP last night, especially during that 2nd period when Therrien pulled him from the first wave in favor of Subban. It kinda marked me because one minute i was all like "OMG DIAZ Y U NO KEEP THE PUCK IN THE OFFENSIVE ZONE" and the next minute, Therrien was benching him.

FuzzyWuzzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 08:38 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Future is Now

Awards:
I think it's safe to say we're getting more out of him than we ever would have thought possible. Just about everybody (myself included) had him pegged for Hamilton. Pretty impressive for him to be where he is now.

I wonder who scouted/discovered him? Hats off big time to whoever it was.

hototogisu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 08:46 AM
torero

The Habs lost many Dmens historically !

is this a replay ?

torero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 09:21 AM
HiggsBozon
i.e. GFORCE

I have nothing against Diaz, he's playing a solid defensive game out there and is really smart for his size. That being said, offensively, his numbers are more impressive than what they should be, in huge part because of Markov's epic start in this season.

He definitely is the best d-man of his pair so far, but I'd still like to see more from him offensively. Too often he loses the puck for no reason in the offensive zone.

HiggsBozon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 09:38 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyWuzzy View Post
Love Diaz but he was really atrocious on the PP last night, especially during that 2nd period when Therrien pulled him from the first wave in favor of Subban. It kinda marked me because one minute i was all like "OMG DIAZ Y U NO KEEP THE PUCK IN THE OFFENSIVE ZONE" and the next minute, Therrien was benching him.
I think taht was more related to Markov and Diaz not shooting in good spots. Both have a tendency to look for too perfect a play and pass up shots. PK doesn't hesitate to rip it, that's what the PP needs right now, get pucks and bodies to the net.

Old
02-19-2013, 09:42 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
I think it's safe to say we're getting more out of him than we ever would have thought possible. Just about everybody (myself included) had him pegged for Hamilton. Pretty impressive for him to be where he is now.

I wonder who scouted/discovered him? Hats off big time to whoever it was.
Gauthier really liked him at the WC's.

Old
02-19-2013, 09:53 AM
Kjell Dahlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacklours View Post
So I went to the game yesterday against Carolina. I hadn't been to the bell center in something like 7-8 years.

I was impressed with Diaz, you don't see his play on TV at all. He plays so smart all over the ice. He never puts himself in a bad situation. The complete opposite to PK.

There was a few times where I thought Diaz could make some solid bodychecks and intimidate the opposition, but he's not all that big and he also played these plays so well they had no where to go, so if I was his coach I couldn't really tell him to play different because it was played so well.

He always goes for the good simpler play. There is a difference between good simple and just simple. Dumping the puck on the board is simple, yet not often the best play. He always looks for an open man and yet manages to give himself room to find that man and all his passes are crisp on the tape.

It's no wonder Budaj didn't get more than 20 shots, with the D we have, the puck is dumped in and it goes back out with a nice clean pass that allows our forward to have control of the puck instead of chasing it.

Anyways, very impressed with Diaz, he isn't a top pairing d-man, but as a coach i'd feel very safe with him on the ice.
I like that (especially the bolded parts); it’s a good summary of Diaz’s play. Btw, I think the same thing can be said of Saint-Denis but that’s another topic!

---------------------

We are 2-4-1 vs our divisional rivals and we played a large chunk of our games at home. There is room for improvement and one pressing need is a bigger and tougher D squad. I like our depth and mix of players upfront and Price... is Price; so no blatant problem there. Giving more ice-time to Subban (a tougher D than Diaz), at the expanse of Diaz (2-3 minutes per game), would be a step in the right direction imo.

Keep in mind: I do consider Diaz as a keeper and I agree with all the positive comments in here. I just think that a top 4 that includes Markov, Gorges and Diaz seriously lacks toughness and size.

Kjell Dahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 10:08 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Future is Now

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjell Dahlin View Post
Keep in mind: I do consider Diaz as a keeper and I agree with all the positive comments in here. I just think that a top 4 that includes Markov, Gorges and Diaz seriously lacks toughness and size.
If you go around the league, most of the top teams aren't built all that differently.

Chicago:
Keith, Seabrook, Oduya, Hjalmarsson

Anaheim:
Beauchemin, Souray, Fowler, Lydman

Pittsburgh:
Martin, Letang, Orpik, Niskanen

New Jersey:
Greene, Salvador, Zidlicky, Fayne

Boston:
Chara, Seidenberg, Boychuk, Hamilton

Vancouver:
Edler, Hamhuis, Bieksa, Garrison

St. Louis:
Pietrangelo, Shattenkirk, Jackman, Cole

Generally speaking you're looking at 3 puck movers and 1 defensive defenseman (of course there is some overlap, as in players who can move the puck and play a rugged style). Not worlds apart from our top 4 with Markov and Diaz as the pure puckmovers, Subban as the hybrid and Gorges as the defensive defenseman.

Old
02-19-2013, 10:26 AM
Kjell Dahlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
If you go around the league, most of the top teams aren't built all that differently.

Chicago:
Keith, Seabrook, Oduya, Hjalmarsson

Anaheim:
Beauchemin, Souray, Fowler, Lydman

Pittsburgh:
Martin, Letang, Orpik, Niskanen

New Jersey:
Greene, Salvador, Zidlicky, Fayne

Boston:
Chara, Seidenberg, Boychuk, Hamilton

Vancouver:
Edler, Hamhuis, Bieksa, Garrison

St. Louis:
Pietrangelo, Shattenkirk, Jackman, Cole

Generally speaking you're looking at 3 puck movers and 1 defensive defenseman (of course there is some overlap, as in players who can move the puck and play a rugged style). Not worlds apart from our top 4 with Markov and Diaz as the pure puckmovers, Subban as the hybrid and Gorges as the defensive defenseman.
Good point but I still think that, especially in the NE, our Canadiens will need to add size and toughness to their top 4 if they want to reach the Contender status. Maybe a short terms solution would be to give more ice-time to Subban and Emelin (and less to Diaz) vs the tougher teams?

Our record really sucks vs our divisional rivals. It is a very small sample though so maybe you are right: the status quo may be acceptable.

PS maybe I am wrong but most of the guys you listed are big players no?

Kjell Dahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 10:43 AM

The biggest gain in Diaz's game compared to last year is defensively...he's not getting pushed around this year.

He's actually be very, very effective downlow...especially along the boards.

Probably one of the Habs more pleasant surprises this year

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 10:50 AM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Good point but I still think that, especially in the NE, our Canadiens will need to add size and toughness to their top 4 if they want to reach the Contender status. Maybe a short terms solution would be to give more ice-time to Subban and Emelin (and less to Diaz) vs the tougher teams?

Our record really sucks vs our divisional rivals. It is a very small sample though so maybe you are right: the status quo may be acceptable.

Great points.

And kudos to the poster giving Therrien credit for his system. Night and day vs Martin.

Regarding Gauthier, a blind chicken will eventually find a kernel of corn. No way would Gauthier have signed Prust. Glad he is gone.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 10:54 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Great points.

And kudos to the poster giving Therrien credit for his system. Night and day vs Martin.

Regarding Gauthier, a blind chicken will eventually find a kernel of corn. No way would Gauthier have signed Prust. Glad he is gone.
Gauthier was the GM that brought in or re-signed most of the regulars.

Markov Price(over Halak) Diaz Emelin Pacioretty(sent him back to develop unlike Gainey) Cole DD Bourque Plekanec(before UFA)

Old
02-19-2013, 11:06 AM
Hawkguy
Hockey's Back!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post

Markov Price(over Halak) Diaz Emelin Pacioretty(sent him back to develop unlike Gainey) Cole DD Bourque Plekanec(before UFA)
Last season gets blown out of proportion because of 1) injuries and 2) the Randy's.

Gauthier wasn't that bad as far as his moves went. I heard behind the scenes he wasn't very approachable though and that's a huge benefit with Bergevin.

Hawkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 11:09 AM
HiggsBozon
i.e. GFORCE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post

Do you actually think sending Pacioretty back had anything to do with the GM? It's a coaching decision, no matter how you look at it. Plus, one could argue Patches actually asked for it himself by saying he'd rather play top-6 in Hamilton rather than playing on the 4th line in Montreal.

He re-signed Markov but still put all of his faith on him, before he ended up missing almost a whole calendar year.

Emelin was not drafted by Gauthier and he had very little to do in the fact that Emelin felt like it was the right time for him to move to the NHL.

Desharnais had absolutely nothing to do with Gauthier. He re-signed a RFA, like any GMs would have done.

Old
02-19-2013, 11:18 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Future is Now

Awards:
Quote:

Not substantially so, and size has very little to do with toughness in any case. You could argue that Gorges plays a more rugged game than some of the big players I listed.

Anyway I'm not trying to make the case that we're a tough team, but I'm just saying in general, our "smurfness" is blown out of proportion when you look at the other teams' TOI leaders.

Also I don't disagree with you that maybe we should add some toughness to our top 4, but it's not easy to find a tough/rugged player who also has all the attributes you want in a top 4 defenseman. Teams usually hang on to those kind of guys, making them expensive to trade for. Maybe we'll have one of our own soon in Tinordi, if all goes well.

Old
02-19-2013, 11:27 AM
bib
#believe

This thread brought to you by:

Gotta hand it to him, he's stepped up his game.

bib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 12:38 PM
FuzzyWuzzy
I'm still alive

^HawkeyeCB is Benoit Brunet?! :O

FuzzyWuzzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 01:14 PM
bib
#believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyWuzzy View Post
^HawkeyeCB is Benoit Brunet?! :O
No, but last night on RDS Brunet put forth a very nice and well rounded analysis on Diaz's strong defensive play.

Seems like people noticed.

bib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 01:19 PM
HiggsBozon
i.e. GFORCE

Quote:
Originally Posted by bib View Post
No, but last night on RDS Brunet put forth a very nice and well rounded analysis on Diaz's strong defensive play.

Seems like people noticed.
On a completely unrelated topic; what is it with you and Gordon Bombay? Just keep wondering each time I see you avy.

Old
02-19-2013, 01:23 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 1100
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFORCE View Post
On a completely unrelated topic; what is it with you and Gordon Bombay? Just keep wondering each time I see you avy.
Giving props to the Sheen(estevez) brother who can't get a job despite being normal. That's my guess.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 01:44 PM
Frankenheimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB View Post
Why would you trade a guy who is young and improving every game when we aren't very strong at defense?
I agree with you, but we're not strong on D? We're looking pretty damn good at the moment and improving. Are win streak is directly tied to our defensive play.

Frankenheimer is offline   Reply With Quote