HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

12-13' Prospects Thread Version XV: Rielly Wins WHL Eastern Conf. Dman of the Year

Closed Thread

Old
02-18-2013, 05:19 PM
crump
~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~

vCash: 274
It's been so long since this team has had anything close to another golden age, maybe one decade our prospects will produce a few franchise players to help right the ship and keep us as contenders for years to come. I see players like Leivo, Biggs and wonder if they will be our Perry and lucic or just another set of players that fail to make the grade. Still patient, but not so foolish to think they are slam dunks.

Old
02-18-2013, 05:49 PM
pooleboy
#buildthrewthedraft

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Skating is supposed to be one of his strengths.

Yes, we all know the coach is to blame for Rielly getting torched on the GWG in the bronze medal game.

He fell flat after all the pre-tournament hype. He is doing well in the WHL though, playing on the smaller ice against other WHL clubs. It will be nice to see him playing against better players in the AHL.
spott put Murphy with Rielly. he knew he was going to get flamed having murphy on the team and he put him with the best offensive D on the team. justify that for me please, i can see why Rielly didn't skate the puck up, always had to be back when the other team were on 2-1's when murphy caughed the puck up/made a bad read/ just playing awful.

Old
02-18-2013, 05:51 PM
pooleboy
#buildthrewthedraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by crump View Post
It's been so long since this team has had anything close to another golden age, maybe one decade our prospects will produce a few franchise players to help right the ship and keep us as contenders for years to come. I see players like Leivo, Biggs and wonder if they will be our Perry and lucic or just another set of players that fail to make the grade. Still patient, but not so foolish to think they are slam dunks.
imo the only prospect we have that u could put in the slam dunk discussion is Rielly, Biggs i can see him becoming a good 3rd line winger but we say that about every prospect that is like biggs. Every prospect but Rielly is a project at this point in time (Percy, Finn, Biggs, Ashton, Colborne) but Gardiner was a project at one time.

Old
02-18-2013, 05:51 PM
Rielly4

I thought Rielly did everything he needed to at the juniors, he wasnt trying to do it himself and he was sharing the puck well but didnt seem to see much ice. If you watch him play in Moose Jaw he literally owns the ice.

Old
02-18-2013, 05:55 PM
pooleboy
#buildthrewthedraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rielly4 View Post
I thought Rielly did everything he needed to at the juniors, he wasnt trying to do it himself and he was sharing the puck well but didnt seem to see much ice. If you watch him play in Moose Jaw he literally owns the ice.
when i watch Rielly in MJ he is by far the best player when he touches the ice. in the WJC he wasn't he didn't skate, didn't anticipate anything. Even when he was playing in the Can-Russia challenge he was dominant, and u could tell was the best player for the WHL. its halarious how many people thinks rielly sucks cause of what he did at the wjc, and i will argue that Spott was the worst coach for TC ever, not only did they have the most NHLers, they have the most talent out of any other team in that tourny and they didn't even get a medal.

Old
02-18-2013, 05:57 PM
johnny_rudeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rielly4 View Post
Really? What´s the point in that? It is not as if he can take it with him once he moves.

Old
02-18-2013, 05:58 PM
pooleboy
#buildthrewthedraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliolemieux View Post
Man that coach pissed me off so much. He sat Rielly during the intra squad games because he said Rielly had a secure spot. Then he basically benches him in hte tourney. He plays him decently for half of one game and the Kid gets a goal and an assist, then it's back to the bench.

Made no sense at all.

Spott was terrible. THe way Rielly has handled everything has been amazing.
i agree, and i think Rielly is going to be special, kid has a solid head on his shoulders, back that up with unreal skating ability and hands and your going to have a very good player for years and years

Old
02-18-2013, 06:03 PM
pooleboy
#buildthrewthedraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
Biggs is massive, but he's not the greatest skater. The OHL is a quick league, and if Biggs had both size and skating ability he would be dominant IMO.

I think he'll be a Ryan Malone type of player in the NHL. Malone took a while to develop into an offensive player, and is now a nice compliment to a line with fast, skilled players.
biggs is fast, ive heard he has been working hard on his skating. ive heard his acceleration isn't the greatest but his overall speed is good

Old
02-18-2013, 06:24 PM
johnny_rudeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooleboy View Post
biggs is fast, ive heard he has been working hard on his skating. ive heard his acceleration isn't the greatest but his overall speed is good
That´s sounds great. Speed is the name of our game

Looked up Biggs fights from this season, being a powerforward and all. And he seem to have taken the right kind of fights.

5 fights and 3 of those where standing up for foul play on his teammates (Jenner two times), and 1 one fight after he crushed a guy with an open ice hit and then one fight right from the draw. He handled him self pretty good imo and going by when he fought he seem rather disciplined.

http://www.hockeyfights.com/players/...htcard/reg2013

LeafsTV follow Biggs and Percy this season. Two episodes are up on YT.

Old
02-18-2013, 06:27 PM
Leafs at Knight
Fire Burn the Ice

If Percy reaches his potential , his jersey will be mine .

Old
02-18-2013, 11:23 PM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

What's up with McKegg?

Old
02-18-2013, 11:27 PM
Interactif

Biggs and Percy are going to be key players for the Leafs, and that is not all. I expect Leivo to perhaps be the best of the 3, maybe the best player in the 11 draft crop. But there is a lot of quality we have thanks to Morrison and staff with this group.

Old
02-18-2013, 11:31 PM
FlareKnight

vCash: 50
I just like that there are plenty of prospects to feel positive about. Of course usually you can feel positive about some of your prospects, it's just a question of who works out.

Leivo is a nice surprise in how he's developing and really do like how the future looks pretty darn good on defence.

Old
02-19-2013, 09:09 AM
TheLeastOfTheBunch

vCash: 50
Got his 9 game point streak snapped back in January, but Dominic Toninato is currently on a 5 game point streak. Has more goals, points in less games than what Tony Cameranesi put up in his post draft season.

Old
02-19-2013, 10:00 AM
Funk Volume
Independent Living

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf View Post
What's up with McKegg?
Was at the Marlies game Saturday, and he seemed timid. Played very simple, effective but not a lot of offense in that particular game. Seemed like a different player than what I saw in the OHL finals last year, which is very understandable.

He wasnt overmatched in the AHL though, which is a good sign.

Old
02-19-2013, 11:21 AM
snizzbone
Give me the puck ;-)

Rielly wins OHL player of the week, 4 goals 1 assist in 3 games.

Old
02-19-2013, 11:36 AM
Didact
Nonis lost his mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowzie View Post
Rielly wins OHL player of the week, 4 goals 1 assist in 3 games.
isn't he in the WHL?

Old
02-19-2013, 11:43 AM
Hawaiinleaf

Thats how good he is!!

Old
02-19-2013, 11:53 AM
Sundinisagod
Weed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Biggs and Percy are going to be key players for the Leafs, and that is not all. I expect Leivo to perhaps be the best of the 3, maybe the best player in the 11 draft crop. But there is a lot of quality we have thanks to Morrison and staff with this group.

I get a Sylvain Lefebvre vibe about Percy's game...

Old
02-19-2013, 11:56 AM
Tony Clifton Leaf
A Mouthful

vCash: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeastOfTheBunch View Post
Got his 9 game point streak snapped back in January, but Dominic Toninato is currently on a 5 game point streak. Has more goals, points in less games than what Tony Cameranesi put up in his post draft season.
They're going to be teammates at U. of Minnesota Duluth next year, hopefully they can develop some chemistry. It would be nice to see these two low-risk high-reward fifth round picks make the jump together to the Marlies in the 2014/2015 season.

Old
02-19-2013, 12:07 PM
Christ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Didact View Post
isn't he in the WHL?
He is just that good

Old
02-19-2013, 12:22 PM
Dark Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
Yeah he skates alright, for a big man. You compared him to Kulemin, but Kulemin's skating is light years ahead of Biggs'.

Skating is one of the most important elements of a successful NHL player, so he'll definitely need to improve before making the step to pro. Like ULF said, his skaing will determine if he'll be a top or bottom 6 player. Luckily Barb Underhill is one of the best skating coaches in the business, so he has a great chance to imorove this aspect of his game.
We are seeing a pretty significant improvement in Colton Orr's skating this year, hard to imagine Biggs not getting better in this environment.

Old
02-19-2013, 12:30 PM
Dark Passenger

I wouldnt read too much into numbers of some players in junior or in the AHL. Look at Kadri as a good example. Folk were concerned about his production earlier this year, but his main focus was to work on his weaknesses and develop into a better all round player. He's putting up better numbers in the NHL, than he was in the A.

Old
02-19-2013, 12:44 PM
leafsrule123

Why was Rielly not traded from Moose Jaw to a contender, its highly unlikey he will be going back to Junior next year. I can see him making the Leafs, just odd why Moose jaw couldn't see this and trade him to get something in return. Just imagine the points Rielly would have with good players infront of him

Old
02-19-2013, 12:56 PM
Quik
Agent 0091

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafsrule123 View Post
Why was Rielly not traded from Moose Jaw to a contender, its highly unlikey he will be going back to Junior next year. I can see him making the Leafs, just odd why Moose jaw couldn't see this and trade him to get something in return. Just imagine the points Rielly would have with good players infront of him
He was with Team Canada and then there was NHL camp, so nobody knew if he'd be going back this year even. If the CHL moved back the deadlines he would have been moved, but as it stood nobody who had a legitimate enough shot at making the NHL rosters got traded.

Closed Thread