HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Habs have offered Sykora a two year deal

Old
07-12-2006, 12:51 PM
viasyncro

vCash: 500
The Habs have offered Sykora a two year deal

According to The Code

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Sykora's agent called the Rangers last night. Sykora is willing to take a pay cut to come back to the Rangers, but the Rangers don't have any interest in him at this time. The Habs have expressed the most interested. They have offered him a two year deal. The Canucks also made a phone call to Sykora's camp telling him that they would be interested in his services if they do not re-sign Carter. Also, the Kings have made an called to Sykora's camp and have also contacted Lindros.

No idea how valid it may be, but would he be a good addition for us?

viasyncro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 12:53 PM
JMMR

Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
For two years it would not be bad depending on the amount!

I would rather Gainey just stand pat instead of adding Sykora though!

JMMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 12:54 PM
GoHabsGO252006

Hoping that Code is as accurate as Eklund

GoHabsGO252006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 12:56 PM
zx81

Sykora is the type of player we don't need and he's also the kind of player who prefers to stay in the States. I doubt the guy wants to play in Canada.

Stay there Petr.

zx81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 12:57 PM
BigTimer*

Panic move.

BigTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 12:57 PM
zx81

Sykora is the type of player we don't need and he's also the kind of player who prefers to stay in the States. I doubt the guy wants to play for a canadian team.

Stay there Petr.

zx81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 12:58 PM
deandebean

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTimer View Post
Panic move.
Are you surprised?

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 12:58 PM
wholeshow*

Quote:
Panic move.
useless post.

wholeshow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 12:59 PM
Subban Fan

Signing Sykora is ok considering he's a huge improvement over Zednik..I'd prefer Samsonov!

Subban Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 01:06 PM
wholeshow*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komi#1 View Post
Signing Sykora is ok considering he's a huge improvement over Zednik..I'd prefer Samsonov!
samsonov would probably cost about 2 million more than sykora on the open market, yet sykora has proven that he's the better scorer. if the habs go after sykora, i say a one year contract between 2.5-3 million or 4 million over 2 years. if we sign sykora, zednik is obviously gone.

wholeshow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 01:11 PM
viasyncro

Concerning Samsonov....

Here is what The Code had to say earlier in the report.

Samsonov's camp spoke with the Wings last night and told them he will let them know by this week. His camp also spoke with the Oilers. If the Oilers can match the offers from the Hawks and Red Wings, he will re-sign with the club. Sources that I've spoke to say that the Oilers aren't going to give Samsonov a three year contract for 11.5 million. Samsonov also has offers from the Leafs and Sharks.

So it doesn't look, according to him, that Montreal has an offer on the table for him.

viasyncro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 01:14 PM
BigTimer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
Are you surprised?
How could anyone be? Getting the shaft from a handful of UFA's and signing a has-been is probably what the Habs have been most consistent in doing the past 10 years.

Old
07-12-2006, 01:15 PM
Le depisteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komi#1 View Post
I agree... but we must trade Zednik. Does anyone want him? A combo with Aebischer to Detroye... I'm dreaming...

Higgins - Koivu - Ryder
Ribeiro - Lang - Kovalev
Perezhogin - Plecanek - Sykora
Bégin - Bonk - Murray

Bye Bye Big Bad Pylon Brounzes!!!

Le depisteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 01:16 PM
zurg999

Quote:
Panic move.

Yeah,. Bob has been scouring HFBoards, is quite concerned, and figures he'd better do something fast.

zurg999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 01:16 PM
Raider917

vCash: 179
Why arent the threads about rumours from The Code deleted like the eklund threads are? are they right most of the time?

Raider917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 01:22 PM
Sshrags

Quote:
Panic move.
I don't think it's a panic move. He's a skilled guy, who is a 20-30 goal scorer (which we need) and he drives the net. He can play with Either Kovy/Ribs or Koivu/Higgins, giving these guys another "weapon" (using the term loosely since he hasn't been one since 2000/2001), but gives the guys on the team another offensive player to help out.

Most importantly, it frees up another asset to trade with Zednik and Abeischer being easier to package, and bring in a true need (whatever Gainey decides that is)
Also, knowing that Sykora replaces Zednik, means that Gainey doesn't have to make a PANIC MOVE, and throw in a rookie to play, when he might not be ready.

Sshrags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 01:30 PM
BigTimer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stlaurentman View Post
I don't think it's a panic move. He's a skilled guy, who is a 20-30 goal scorer (which we need) and he drives the net. He can play with Either Kovy/Ribs or Koivu/Higgins, giving these guys another "weapon" (using the term loosely since he hasn't been one since 2000/2001), but gives the guys on the team another offensive player to help out.

Most importantly, it frees up another asset to trade with Zednik and Abeischer being easier to package, and bring in a true need (whatever Gainey decides that is)
Also, knowing that Sykora replaces Zednik, means that Gainey doesn't have to make a PANIC MOVE, and throw in a rookie to play, when he might not be ready.
You forgot Ryder on our lines. Sykora is a RW which we have plenty of and is a left handed shot... which we have too many of. He's a defensive liability who not only doesn't play physical but disappears when the game starts getting chippy. He's also as inconsistent as they come in the NHL so tell me... do you want another half-assed fix like Sykora or something that's actually worth spending energy pursuing.

Old
07-12-2006, 01:33 PM
Netro

BG does not panic. If he indeed made an offer, then he must like Sykora.

Depending on the term and dollars, this may be a good move. Sykora turns 30 this fall, and is 6-0, 190 lbs. He won a Stanley Cup

Here is what the forecaster says about him:
ASSETS: Has improved in the NHL since moving to right wing, where he can use his speed to blow past defenders and release his deceptive shot from anywhere.
FLAWS: Gets rattled in physical contests. Still needs work in his own zone and must play a more consistent offensive game.
CAREER POTENTIAL: First line winger.

Career Stats: (GP, G, A, Pts, +/-)
2005-06 Total Ana/NYR 74 23 28 51 +6
2003-04 Anaheim 81 23 29 52 -9
2002-03 Anaheim 82 34 25 59 -7
2001-02 New Jersey 73 21 27 48 +12
2000-01 New Jersey 73 35 46 81 +36
1999-00 New Jersey 79 25 43 68 +24
1998-99 New Jersey 80 29 43 72 +16
1997-98 New Jersey 58 16 20 36 E
1996-97 New Jersey 19 1 2 3 -8
1995-96 New Jersey 63 18 24 42 +7

Netro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 01:38 PM
Pascal

We need grit and leadership, not another softie european. It has been the problem of the habs for the past 10 yrs, i don't know why they keep making the same mistakes.

True the new NHL rewards skill but it doesn't mean we should field a team of noodles. It just doesn't win championships.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 01:41 PM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Panic move.
I don't believe it. The interview with Gainey I saw this morning on RDS he did not look in panic mode and sounded more like a guy willing to stand pat and make a trade rather then take someone via UFA.

beowulf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 01:42 PM
Sshrags

Quote:
You forgot Ryder on our lines. Sykora is a RW which we have plenty of and is a left handed shot... which we have too many of. He's a defensive liability who not only doesn't play physical but disappears when the game starts getting chippy. He's also as inconsistent as they come in the NHL so tell me... do you want another half-assed fix like Sykora or something that's actually worth spending energy pursuing.

I didn't forget Ryder, he's also a RW, isn't he? So I figured whatever Line Sykora could play on, Ryder would be on the other one.

As for the Zednik over Sykora debate ---- Both are RW, Left shot, and play when they want , However, SYKORA is much more creative offensively and has more potential, passes the puck, and doesn't have one move (one handed skate around the net - lose the puck) ---- I'd rather have SYKORA.

And what's to say that if SYKORA comes in, that Gainey won't be spending time pursuing a worthwhile deal??? It's a logical move to bring in a potential scorer, and allow him to free up a guy that may need a change. With Sykora in, replacing ZEDNIK, it doesn't pressure Gainey into making a move that may force him to take a lesser player to put in that spot. It allows him to focus on more important positions that he may want to beef up/fix.

Sshrags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 01:42 PM
AH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
We need grit and leadership, not another softie european. It has been the problem of the habs for the past 10 yrs, i don't know why they keep making the same mistakes.

True the new NHL rewards skill but it doesn't mean we should field a team of noodles. It just doesn't win championships.

Carolina had a team full of noodles.

AH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 01:46 PM
e-e

Quote:
Originally Posted by viasyncro View Post
According to The Code

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Sykora's agent called the Rangers last night. Sykora is willing to take a pay cut to come back to the Rangers, but the Rangers don't have any interest in him at this time. The Habs have expressed the most interested. They have offered him a two year deal. The Canucks also made a phone call to Sykora's camp telling him that they would be interested in his services if they do not re-sign Carter. Also, the Kings have made an called to Sykora's camp and have also contacted Lindros.

No idea how valid it may be, but would he be a good addition for us?
i hope he didn't

e-e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 01:48 PM
sXe
Yuuuuuup!

Something BG never did in his life is panic. If you think he has any pressure to make a move you are deluding yourselves. Watch the interview he made last night and how he answered the Sykora question.
No offer was made, I am 100% certain.

sXe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 01:50 PM
BigTimer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stlaurentman View Post
I didn't forget Ryder, he's also a RW, isn't he? So I figured whatever Line Sykora could play on, Ryder would be on the other one.

As for the Zednik over Sykora debate ---- Both are RW, Left shot, and play when they want , However, SYKORA is much more creative offensively and has more potential, passes the puck, and doesn't have one move (one handed skate around the net - lose the puck) ---- I'd rather have SYKORA.

And what's to say that if SYKORA comes in, that Gainey won't be spending time pursuing a worthwhile deal??? It's a logical move to bring in a potential scorer, and allow him to free up a guy that may need a change. With Sykora in, replacing ZEDNIK, it doesn't pressure Gainey into making a move that may force him to take a lesser player to put in that spot. It allows him to focus on more important positions that he may want to beef up/fix.
You said: "He can play with Either Kovy/Ribs or Koivu/Higgins, giving these guys another "weapon"

Kovy is a RW... as is Ryder who was the RW on the Higgins-Koivu line.

Zednik and Sykora is pretty much a wash when you throw the contract issue into the mix. Zednik is only under contract for 1 more year at a reasonable price while Sykora is looking for a 2-3 year deal worth a fair amount more than what Zednik is making.