HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Legwand. Plz describe.

Old
07-12-2006, 12:11 PM
znk

vCash: 500
Legwand. Plz describe.

Some discussions about Legwand in the Habs forum. I need to make a better opinion of this guy. Could you please give me a good description of him from your perspective. What kind of player is he? What role is he best in? How does he fit on a team? etc...
Thank you.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 12:25 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
Some discussions about Legwand in the Habs forum. I need to make a better opinion of this guy. Could you please give me a good description of him from your perspective. What kind of player is he? What role is he best in? How does he fit on a team? etc...
Thank you.

The answer will be different, depending on who you talk to.

Ranging from "True hockey god" to "OMG LETZ TRADE HIM HE IZ TEH SUK"

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 01:04 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
I agree with NMK that the opinion is going to be very different depending on the poster. Legwand has been considered a disappointment by some here in Nashville due to his draft year hype as a franchise center who would put up big offensive numbers. Well, he has not lived up to those expectations and some here cannot get past that to see that he is a very valuable two-way center that will thrive in a second-line role.

Legwand has very good speed that is deceptive due to his long stride. As a matter of fact, many do not give him credit and believe he is "coasting" because of his long-stride. Offensively, Legwand is not going to put up huge numbers, but will generate a lot of chances for his wingers due to his ability to carry the puck and strength cycling in the corners. Legwand is an above-average passer, but lacks finishing ability.

Defensively, Legwand is very responsible in his own end and uses his speed to his advantage on the backcheck. I believe that he would excel in a shutdown role, but is better suited to serving as a second-line center where his two-way attributes can be best used in both ends of the rink.

Don't take this as a "Legwand is gold" review, he does have his shortcomings (primarily his lack of tangible offensive numbers), but Legwand is more valuable for the things he does that don't show up on the scoresheet.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 01:19 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
I agree with NMK that the opinion is going to be very different depending on the poster. Legwand has been considered a disappointment by some here in Nashville due to his draft year hype as a franchise center who would put up big offensive numbers. Well, he has not lived up to those expectations and some here cannot get past that to see that he is a very valuable two-way center that will thrive in a second-line role.

Legwand has very good speed that is deceptive due to his long stride. As a matter of fact, many do not give him credit and believe he is "coasting" because of his long-stride. Offensively, Legwand is not going to put up huge numbers, but will generate a lot of chances for his wingers due to his ability to carry the puck and strength cycling in the corners. Legwand is an above-average passer, but lacks finishing ability.

Defensively, Legwand is very responsible in his own end and uses his speed to his advantage on the backcheck. I believe that he would excel in a shutdown role, but is better suited to serving as a second-line center where his two-way attributes can be best used in both ends of the rink.

Don't take this as a "Legwand is gold" review, he does have his shortcomings (primarily his lack of tangible offensive numbers), but Legwand is more valuable for the things he does that don't show up on the scoresheet.
I second every bit of this...

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 01:30 PM
Stars-Preds

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post

couldn't say it better myself and my user name is legwand.

Stars-Preds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 01:31 PM
handtrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
I second every bit of this...

yep.

handtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 01:59 PM
Basher
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to Basher Send a message via MSN to Basher Send a message via Skype™ to Basher
Also in agreement. My beef with Legwand is somewhat unfair, in that he is not a #1 center, even though we used him as one. I'd say his finishing ability is below average for NHL'ers. That is something however, that is "form" related - meaning if he worked at it and maintained a level of it I think he could score 30 a year. But him not scoring in a role as our #1 really made me dislike his play, and value overall. I'm interested to see him as a true #2 center this year, and who knows, if the knee holds up then we might see a career year with less expectations and still more experience as each year goes by.

Basher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 02:26 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

SLake hit it spot on, but the telling thing that some like to argue...

We win a lot more games with Legwand in lineup. Like, A LOT more. Some say it's because of, some say it's not..but that's the facts.

I look forward to seeing what Legwand can do in a situation where he's not counted on to be THE GUY, especially playing with Sullivan\Walker\Hartnell\Erat

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 02:40 PM
znk

Thx guys. There's been some rumours about the habs having interest in Legwand. I dont know the validity but the rumour resurfaced 2 times in the last couple of weeks.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 02:51 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids View Post
SLake hit it spot on, but the telling thing that some like to argue...

We win a lot more games with Legwand in lineup. Like, A LOT more. Some say it's because of, some say it's not..but that's the facts.

I look forward to seeing what Legwand can do in a situation where he's not counted on to be THE GUY, especially playing with Sullivan\Walker\Hartnell\Erat
NMK, I did forget to put that in my review. It is the truth and it's also very evident that when Legwand is not in the lineup we have difficulty generating much offense because we cannot carry the puck through the neutral zone, nor can we be effective in a dump-and-chase situation either due to our lack of size at wing.

I would love to see Legwand resigned to a long-term deal, but I really think this will be the last in a Predator uniform. The real question is do we trade him to bolster our chances this season or play him as our second-line center and see what he can do this season and then take our chances with him as a UFA next season?

A real quandry, I believe that Scott Gomez would be a great fit in Nashville, but he is going to want to have the opportunity to play as a first-line center which he won't get here with Arnott in town. Also Gomez will want first-line center money, which we simply can not give him to play in a second-line role.

Old
07-12-2006, 03:13 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

I don't see us trading Legwand, we just got stability in our group of centers, dumping Legwand without getting a similar (center)player in return would not make good sense.

I do not think we trade him for a winger, period.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 05:19 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
I don't see us trading Legwand, we just got stability in our group of centers, dumping Legwand without getting a similar (center)player in return would not make good sense.

I do not think we trade him for a winger, period.
No, exactly. I don't see us trading Legwand right now due to a couple of reasons, but primarily due to the fact that we would need a center of similiar value in return (which isn't going to come cheap). Trading Legwand for a winger would be a very bad move because of our glut of top-six wingers already on the roster and the fact that it would leave us without a #2 center.

Thinking about Montreal as a trading partner, I just don't see what they can offer that would benefit us as much as keeping Legwand. The only center for the Habs that seems to be bandied about in trade offers coming out of Canada is Mike Ribiero and he simply doesn't fit any needs we have in Nashville. Trading Souray to us for Legwand again is a poor move for our team because it leaves us with a whole at center while adding a veteran blueliner to our young, yet talented defense corps. Montreal IMO is not a good trading partner for Nashville with any trade involving Legwand.