HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Woywitka VS Lynch

Closed Thread

Old
12-18-2003, 01:26 PM
Oilers1*

vCash: 500
Woywitka VS Lynch

This is an argument I used to have with a Philly-fan friend of mine, that I never really bothered to look into but, obviously, its become a little more pertinent.

Its always been my contention, through just looking at the stats, that Doug Lynch is as good a prospect as Woywitka, although Woywitka is far higher-profile.

Consider:

Woywitka is 6'2, 200 and Lynch is 6'3, 210, so Lynch should get an edge there. Pretty much the same age, with Woywitka being a few months younger.

They played three years together on the same team:

Woywitka- 211 games- 25 goals- 63 assists- 88 points- 262 PIMs
Lynch- 208 games- 42 goals- 69 assists- 111 points- 440 PIMs

Then Lynch moved onto Spokane for one season:

Woywitka- 57 games- 16 goals- 36 assists- 52 points- 65 PIMs
Lynch- 55 games- 13 goals- 17 assists- 30 points- 156 PIMs

And now in the AHL:

Woywitka- 29 games- 0 goals- 6 assists- 6 points- 51 PIMs
Lynch- 25 games- 4 goals- 10 assists- 14 points- 27 PIMs

Looking strictly at the stats, Lynch seems to have outproduced Woywitka when they were teammates in Red Deer (although I believe Woywitka was named the WHL's best defenseman once? So he must have been doing something right), and in the pros. Yet, most sources consider Woywitka to be a top-notch defensive prospect while Lynch is second-tier.

Should there be a concern that we acquired a prospect who got overhyped because he's the first-round draft pick of a big-market Eastern team? Or is Lynch just underrated? Or, perhaps, is there aspects to their games that aren't shown in statistics (and if so, what)?

Also, is anyone concerned with the HUGE increase in penalty minutes for Woywitka in his first pro season versuses what he generally put up as a junior? I haven't seen the Phantoms play, but that kind of suggests to me that he might be having trouble with the speed of the pro game and has been taking more interference penalties.

Old
12-18-2003, 02:36 PM
oilerdynasty

One thing you have to consider with Lynch is that he often played as a forward on the PP. So, you can factor that in for what it's worth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laraque27
This is an argument I used to have with a Philly-fan friend of mine, that I never really bothered to look into but, obviously, its become a little more pertinent.

Its always been my contention, through just looking at the stats, that Doug Lynch is as good a prospect as Woywitka, although Woywitka is far higher-profile.

Consider:

Woywitka is 6'2, 200 and Lynch is 6'3, 210, so Lynch should get an edge there. Pretty much the same age, with Woywitka being a few months younger.

And now in the AHL:

Looking strictly at the stats, Lynch seems to have outproduced Woywitka when they were teammates in Red Deer (although I believe Woywitka was named the WHL's best defenseman once? So he must have been doing something right), and in the pros. Yet, most sources consider Woywitka to be a top-notch defensive prospect while Lynch is second-tier.

Should there be a concern that we acquired a prospect who got overhyped because he's the first-round draft pick of a big-market Eastern team? Or is Lynch just underrated? Or, perhaps, is there aspects to their games that aren't shown in statistics (and if so, what)?

Also, is anyone concerned with the HUGE increase in penalty minutes for Woywitka in his first pro season versuses what he generally put up as a junior? I haven't seen the Phantoms play, but that kind of suggests to me that he might be having trouble with the speed of the pro game and has been taking more interference penalties.

Old
12-18-2003, 02:48 PM
elphy101

[QUOTE=Laraque27]

And now in the AHL:

QUOTE]

Points don't necessarily tell the whole story. Going by points, Andy Delmore or Tom Poti are way better than Eric Brewer. Wowitka was always matched up against the top players on the opposition. Lynch also used to be a forward so he has more scoring ability which has always been true. Lynch is more like a big Steve Staois. Wowitka was compared to Brewer by Red Deer GM Brent Sutter. Big, mobile, but not the greatest offensively.

Closed Thread