HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Subban's play since coming back

Closed Thread

Old
02-19-2013, 10:52 AM

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fufonzo View Post
Honestly, I find it so impressive how good he is at protecting the puck when he's carrying it around the net and out of the zone.

The first few times, I've had to hold my breath because it's a fairly high risk play but he's never got caught with it yet.

As others have mentionned, he's also made some real nice breakout passes. The one of Prust's goal this game and the one that Moen or Armstrong scored in the Tampa (?) game are two great examples that led to goals for which he didn't get an assist.

He's been playing really well. He's not without fault but he's been the cause of a lot more good than bad.
His ability to beat 1 or 2 men on the forecheck is such a weapon...he's so strong, it's near impossible to take him off the puck

The only thing I wish he did more was use his wrist shot alot more, especially when he's rushing the puck up the ice. He makes opposing dmen back up so much, he should take advantage of the respect he's given.

Old
02-19-2013, 10:58 AM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Nobody has ever said PK was God, not sure why you have to act Like a 5 year old.

You can look at a few instances in a game for every player out There and say they made mistakes.
Yesterday, Markov fumbled the puck at the blue line during the PP, an unforced error, it caused an offside.
Another time he pinched up in his zone to go after a guy. That opponent made a pass down low, Markov didn't hustle back and let his man go to the front of the net. Luckily, Emelin stopped the attempted pass.

Those are actual mistakes. PK dangling in his zone isn't one. It's risky, but unless he got stopped, it's not a mistake. Doesn't mean he was mistake free, he made some, like every other player. But he still had a solid game.
Sure, that's why you're all ready to jump on someone for the simple fact s/he said P.K. made a mistake, get over yourselves. And that includes you and your I know it all B.S. You're no smarter than most here, au contraire.

See, that's where the problem is... dangling in his own zone, inches away from the net isnt a mistake to you, that's what you believe... well, thing is, he did end up giving away the puck to the opponent. Wich should be a mistake by your logic (unless he got stopped as you said, well HE DID)... So was it a mistake or was it not Einstein ?

Old
02-19-2013, 11:06 AM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
His ability to beat 1 or 2 men on the forecheck is such a weapon...he's so strong, it's near impossible to take him off the puck

The only thing I wish he did more was use his wrist shot alot more, especially when he's rushing the puck up the ice. He makes opposing dmen back up so much, he should take advantage of the respect he's given.
and yet, he always end up in the top left corner taking a shot from a bad angle or have a weak pass attempt. While him rushing the puck works fine as he manages t do it pretty much every time he wants to, it ends up in "nothing" 99.9% of the time...

Old
02-19-2013, 11:07 AM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Novak Djokovic can make dozens of unforced errors in a game.
watched the game yesterday from AU ?

Old
02-19-2013, 11:09 AM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingbobert View Post
exactly, you have to take risks sometimes. Karlsson makes alot of highrisk plays, and he has gotten himself and the team burned alot of times, but has burned other teams significantly more
70+ pts...

Old
02-19-2013, 11:18 AM
Kingbobert
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
and yet, he always end up in the top left corner taking a shot from a bad angle or have a weak pass attempt. While him rushing the puck works fine as he manages t do it pretty much every time he wants to, it ends up in "nothing" 99.9% of the time...
and thats his fault?
are you kidding me?

what do you want him to do cause to the blue line, and pull a jamie madrox and multiply himself?
Players have to get open and in a position to either cover him entering the zone and accept a pass while moving
we have way too many guys sitting there waiting for pass or admiring pks moves and then he's left alone or ahead of the forwards.

Old
02-19-2013, 11:19 AM
Kingbobert
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
70+ pts...
takes high risks...

which according to you is a bad thing

Old
02-19-2013, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Agreed...but that's not entirely his fault. Half of the time he's doing that, his teamates are just standing there watching him, it would help if they moved and got into position as well.

The thing is, and this is something lost on alot of PK's detractors, is that he's still VERY young. Really, in terms of development, this should probably be his rookie year in the NHL.

He's still got a ton to learn but the good thing is he's progressed exponentially since he was drafted, I have no doubt he'll eventually learn how to maximise his talent and learn that sometimes 'less is more'

It's a process...and it's still very early in this process

Old
02-19-2013, 11:30 AM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
and thats his fault?
are you kidding me?

what do you want him to do cause to the blue line, and pull a jamie madrox and multiply himself?
Players have to get open and in a position to either cover him entering the zone and accept a pass while moving
we have way too many guys sitting there waiting for pass or admiring pks moves and then he's left alone or ahead of the forwards.
huh... HE IS the one doing it...

what are the fowwards supposed to do when the guy rushes from behin his own net... put him offside ?

Old
02-19-2013, 11:31 AM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
Agreed...but that's not entirely his fault. Half of the time he's doing that, his teamates are just standing there watching him, it would help if they moved and got into position as well.

The thing is, and this is something lost on alot of PK's detractors, is that he's still VERY young. Really, in terms of development, this should probably be his rookie year in the NHL.

He's still got a ton to learn but the good thing is he's progressed exponentially since he was drafted, I have no doubt he'll eventually learn how to maximise his talent and learn that sometimes 'less is more'

It's a process...and it's still very early in this process
what are they supposed to do, they're at the red line, "ready", unless they put him offside they have no other option but to wait for him...

come on now...

Old
02-19-2013, 11:36 AM

Quote:
what are they supposed to do, they're at the red line, "ready", unless they put him offside they have no other option but to wait for him...

come on now...
I said half of the time...alot of times PK's rushes are ill advised. He needs to know how to pick and choose his moments more judiciously.

However, some of the times, his rushes are well calculated where he enters the zone with speed, but once he enters the zone...the forwards just stay stationnary and watch him.

Old
02-19-2013, 11:37 AM
habfan1968

vCash: 50
If PK is rushing the puck and has a green light and 99.9% of the time it ends up with him deep left and no where to go and turns into a nothing play, should some one else do something about it? Here we have a good skating , stick handling offensive defense man rushing the puck. (inside forwards head" mmmm PK rushing he will go deep, the score is 1- 0 for them, offensive chance, mmmm I 'll go to the bench, whew safe from scrutiny!) 99.9% of the time, you should be screaming for his team mates to get a clue!

Old
02-19-2013, 11:39 AM
habfan1968

vCash: 50
Quote:

come on now...
They should be timing their entry better then, so , they can keep up to the play.

Old
02-19-2013, 11:52 AM
Kingbobert
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
huh... HE IS the one doing it...

what are the fowwards supposed to do when the guy rushes from behin his own net... put him offside ?
seriously do you only watch habs hockey and only to scrutinize the players?

nobody criticizes karlsson for rushing the puck like he does, nobody criticized green, nobody criticized the coffeys and the leetches and the chelioses the niedermeyer because guess what, the rest of the team kept up with them

you see subban move, you start moving and match his speed
the worst part about all of this is that subban usually gives his team mates enough time to get moving yet half the time they're there as dead weight.

most the times players are standing at the blue line.
you have to rush with subban same as they do when a trio rushes in zone only this time subban actually gives you the chance to get in the zone and setup without worrying about carrying the puck in.

Old
02-19-2013, 11:52 AM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan1968 View Post
They should be timing their entry better then, so , they can keep up to the play.
really... lol

Old
02-19-2013, 11:56 AM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
seriously do you only watch habs hockey and only to scrutinize the players?

nobody criticizes karlsson for rushing the puck like he does, nobody criticized green, nobody criticized the coffeys and the leetches and the chelioses the niedermeyer because guess what, the rest of the team kept up with them

you see subban move, you start moving and match his speed
the worst part about all of this is that subban usually gives his team mates enough time to get moving yet half the time they're there as dead weight.

most the times players are standing at the blue line.
you have to rush with subban same as they do when a trio rushes in zone only this time subban actually gives you the chance to get in the zone and setup without worrying about carrying the puck in.
you know most of the guys you named manages 70+ points seasons right ?

Old
02-19-2013, 12:00 PM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
takes high risks...

which according to you is a bad thing
70+ points...

Old
02-19-2013, 12:03 PM
Kingbobert
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
you know most of the guys you named manages 70+ seasons right ?
you know that these guys would not have gotten 70pts if they played the way you want subban to play right?

you know these guys got 70pts because the forwards were able to follow them instead of sitting around like our players do when pk is rushing right?

you're clearly of the "my opinion is fact" mindframe...good luck with that. Logic is not important or relevant to you.

i rest easy knowing that everytime pk rushes the puck it irks you, and he does that alot so enjoy

Old
02-19-2013, 12:03 PM
fufonzo

Send a message via ICQ to fufonzo Send a message via MSN to fufonzo
Quote:
Sure, that's why you're all ready to jump on someone for the simple fact s/he said P.K. made a mistake, get over yourselves. And that includes you and your I know it all B.S. You're no smarter than most here, au contraire.

See, that's where the problem is... dangling in his own zone, inches away from the net isnt a mistake to you, that's what you believe... well, thing is, he did end up giving away the puck to the opponent. Wich should be a mistake by your logic (unless he got stopped as you said, well HE DID)... So was it a mistake or was it not Einstein ?
It's this mentally that I find has plagued the Habs for way too long.

There's no way a guy like Karlsson develops like he has on the Habs. People would have been complaining about his high-risk plays and the turnovers he's caused and he'd have been relegated 3rd-pairing duty and PP situations or sent back down to Hamilton to learn the 2-way game.

PK has a special talent. He'll take some risks but rarely ever gets caught. I can't think of one play where he put us in a vulnerable situation while rushing the puck this year. Not to say he hasn't made mistakes, but they've had minimal impact and he has been the cause of many chances for.

Also people are complaining about his getting the puck in deep and not creating much off the rush, but honestly, I'd rather him do that and keep possession of the puck in the offensive zone than have him slap it in every time and turning it over to their D.

Subban has been our best D since coming back and there really is no reason to complain about his play at this point.

Old
02-19-2013, 12:07 PM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
you know that these guys would not have gotten 70pts if they played the way you want subban to play right?

you know these guys got 70pts because the forwards were able to follow them instead of sitting around like our players do when pk is rushing right?

you're clearly of the "my opinion is fact" mindframe...good luck with that. Logic is not important or relevant to you.

i rest easy knowing that everytime pk rushes the puck it irks you, and he does that alot so enjoy
You mean, the more conservative Subban who was at a PPG pace ? really ? Yeah I get why it would be such a bad thing for him to drop his JR moves...

considering you're the one who compared P.K. to Norris winners, Hall of Famers and D men who managed 100+ pts seasons, I'd refrain from commenting on other people's logic if I were you.

Old
02-19-2013, 12:11 PM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fufonzo View Post
It's this mentally that I find has plagued the Habs for way too long.

There's no way a guy like Karlsson develops like he has on the Habs. People would have been complaining about his high-risk plays and the turnovers he's caused and he'd have been relegated 3rd-pairing duty and PP situations or sent back down to Hamilton to learn the 2-way game.

PK has a special talent. He'll take some risks but rarely ever gets caught. I can't think of one play where he put us in a vulnerable situation while rushing the puck this year. Not to say he hasn't made mistakes, but they've had minimal impact and he has been the cause of many chances for.

Also people are complaining about his getting the puck in deep and not creating much off the rush, but honestly, I'd rather him do that and keep possession of the puck in the offensive zone than have him slap it in every time and turning it over to their D.

Subban has been our best D since coming back
and there really is no reason to complain about his play at this point.
was great the first few games, may not have been flashy enough to your liking - obviously - but he got the job done and was at a PPG pace... now he's back to his Jr stuff and the way he was playing his very first year with us...

Old
02-19-2013, 12:15 PM
Kingbobert
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
You mean, the more conservative Subban who was at a PPG pace ? really ? Yeah I get why it would be such a bad thing for him to drop his JR moves...

considering you're the one who compared P.K. to Norris winners, Hall of Famers and D men who managed 100+ pts seasons, I'd refrain from commenting on other people's logic if I were you.
i never compared pk to those players

I said that noone criticized those defensemen when they were rushing the puck.
Can you make the distinction between bringing up other defensemen as an example of defensemen that rushed the puck and actually comparing the players to subban?

i love how thats what you draw from my argument and not the fact that
a) these players were not criticized and
b) these players had the supporting staff that made their rushes beneficial to the team

but no, in your mind i compared the players...completely missing my point.

its like arguing with a kid as to why he cant have ice cream for dinner

Old
02-19-2013, 12:26 PM
jwolf

Quote:
was great the first few games, may not have been flashy enough to your liking - obviously - but he got the job done and was at a PPG pace... now he's back to his Jr stuff and the way he was playing his very first year with us...
Really? I find it hard to believe that anyone could have a problem with PK's last few games. His "jr stuff" is what sets him apart from the rest. It's a big part of what makes him a special player. Along with everything else he's done to help the team win. The fact that Karlson parlayed his offensive flair into a 70-point season means what exactly in this conversation? That PK is not good enough to rush the puck and Karlson is?

Old
02-19-2013, 12:31 PM
groovejuice

Considering the dearth of goals recently, MT should work on plays in practice that allow Subban to carry the puck in to the ozone.

As a matter of fact, I'd like to see Subban play a wing on the PP. He's better on the boards than most of the forwards, can open up space with his skating, is a fine passer and has an excellent wrister and snap shot. Plus he's tough to move from the net.

Maybe with Diaz and Markov on the point and Pleks and Bourque.

Old
02-19-2013, 12:33 PM
muzion

Quote:
He was actually trying to find that balance yesterday. Sometimes he overdid it and killed the play, sometimes he got it just right. In no way is he doing the same things he did in previous years. To ask PK to play a conservative style when he has the ability to do so much more is ridiculous, I'm glad you're not the coach.

Closed Thread