HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Habs have offered Sykora a two year deal

Old
07-12-2006, 01:53 PM
Marksman

vCash: 500
Sykora would propably improve our scoring a little ... but somehow I have a problems with understanding the need for another forward.

Especially scoring line wingers ... theres Kovalev Ryder Higgins and Zednik, plus Perezhogin and Kostitsin waiting their turn. Even with one traded and injured we have enough depth already. Is this really neccesary, worth tying up valuable cap space and risk losing defenceman to free agency next summer?

Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 01:54 PM
znk

I would really like sign Sykora and trade Zednik for a good pick or decent prospect.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 01:55 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman2 View Post
Sykora would propably improve our scoring a little ... but somehow I have a problems with understanding the need for another forward.

Especially scoring line wingers ... theres Kovalev Ryder Higgins and Zednik, plus Perezhogin and Kostitsin waiting their turn. Even with one traded and injured we have enough depth already. Is this really neccesary, worth tying up valuable cap space and risk losing defenceman to free agency next summer?
I see no problem with getting an asset without having to give up any assets. Especialy if it gives you the opportunity to trade some other player(s) for some more assets.

Old
07-12-2006, 01:55 PM
Maithz

vCash:
I think Ryder could fit as our 2nd line LW , a right handed LW is hard to find in the league ... plus I think he could score more in the opposite position

Old
07-12-2006, 01:57 PM
wholeshow*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTimer View Post
You said: "He can play with Either Kovy/Ribs or Koivu/Higgins, giving these guys another "weapon"

Kovy is a RW... as is Ryder who was the RW on the Higgins-Koivu line.

Zednik and Sykora is pretty much a wash when you throw the contract issue into the mix. Zednik is only under contract for 1 more year at a reasonable price while Sykora is looking for a 2-3 year deal worth a fair amount more than what Zednik is making.
you cry when bg doesn't sign anyone, you cry when there's a rumor of getting an upgrade over zednik (just compare the career stats, genius). can you please stop whining? dear god, what's your problem? on your period?

wholeshow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 01:59 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunjeebakala View Post
you cry when bg doesn't sign anyone, you cry when there's a rumor of getting an upgrade over zednik (just compare the career stats, genius). can you please stop whining? dear god, what's your problem? on your period?
I think it's intentional because all he does is whine. I think he's trying to piss people off. Anyway most of what he says makes no sense...like using the qualifier "panic move" when talking about Gainey. LOL Gainey panic?

Old
07-12-2006, 02:05 PM
kostitsyn fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le depisteur View Post
I agree... but we must trade Zednik. Does anyone want him? A combo with Aebischer to Detroye... I'm dreaming...

Higgins - Koivu - Ryder
Ribeiro - Lang - Kovalev
Perezhogin - Plecanek - Sykora
Bégin - Bonk - Murray

Bye Bye Big Bad Pylon Brounzes!!!
forget about sykora and put kostitsyn!
ribeiro would be useless at wings since he's close to useless at center ( we have to pair him with some guys who are fast and gritty to ^^compense^^ the fact that he skate like a peewee and he's gritty as lady bing! You have to choose between sykora an ribeiro...

kostitsyn fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 02:10 PM
wholeshow*

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
I think it's intentional because all he does is whine. I think he's trying to piss people off. Anyway most of what he says makes no sense...like using the qualifier "panic move" when talking about Gainey. LOL Gainey panic?
lol, no kidding. if there's one guy on the planet that doesn't panic, it's gainey. he's a robot, shows zero emotion. he could inherit a billion dollars and he'd still have that gloomy face throughout the situation.

so yah, sykora if he can be had for cheap would be a good upgrade over zednik. i believe he had 16 goals in 40 games for the rags last year, he sucked in the playoffs...but so did everyone for the rags.

Old
07-12-2006, 02:13 PM
couris

zednik is going out of montreal if sykora is going in. bob said that a new kid will play next season, maybe kost or lats

couris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 02:18 PM
wholeshow*

Quote:
Originally Posted by couris View Post
zednik is going out of montreal if sykora is going in. bob said that a new kid will play next season, maybe kost or lats
i wonder what the habs are planning to do with zednik. he's not a bad player, just seems unmotivated. i would love to see a zednik for lang trade (perhaps we add a few pieces to make the trade more attractive, but im not sure what the wings want for lang).
a line of sykora-lang-kovalev wouldn't be that bad.

Old
07-12-2006, 02:20 PM
Marksman

Quote:
I see no problem with getting an asset without having to give up any assets. Especialy if it gives you the opportunity to trade some other player(s) for some more assets.
Salary cap space is an asset these days too. I suppose if managing a real NHL team was like a computer game it could work like that, but in real world its too risky. What if you get stuck with the players you wanted to trade? I'm sure guys like Zednik and Bonk had gone long time ago if there were willing takers for them.

Old
07-12-2006, 02:21 PM
Maithz

vCash:
Sykora will not fit in MTL why !? because he is soft as Ribeiro ... he is gonna be bash during 2 years ...

Old
07-12-2006, 02:27 PM
znk

Quote:
Salary cap space is an asset these days too. I suppose if managing a real NHL team was like a computer game it could work like that, but in real world its too risky. What if you get stuck with the players you wanted to trade? I'm sure guys like Zednik and Bonk had gone long time ago if there were willing takers for them.
Zed for a 2nd round pick? why not? And dont compare Zednik with Bonk.

Habs with zed < Habs with Sykora + 2nd round pick.

Old
07-12-2006, 02:31 PM
BigTimer*

Quote:

Keep dreaming pal.

BigTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 02:42 PM
wholeshow*

Quote:
Keep dreaming pal.
seriously, what is your problem?
first you said that zednik is better than sykora because he's cheaper and does the same thing. now you're saying that zednik can't even get a 2nd rounder?

Old
07-12-2006, 02:44 PM
BigTimer*

Quote:
seriously, what is your problem?
first you said that zednik is better than sykora because he's cheaper and does the same thing. now you're saying that zednik can't even get a 2nd rounder?
I think the problem is with you purposely misinterpreting people so that you can fill your days with online bickering.

Old
07-12-2006, 02:45 PM
Marksman

Quote:

Because until the free agent season ends teams can sign players in Zedniks caliber or better themselves, mainly. Even more important parts of a team like goaltenders fetch only 2nd rounders ... it would be amazing if winger like Zednik got that much.

What if we paid Sykora 4 million and he ended up with 50 points again? Is the pick really worth it?

Old
07-12-2006, 02:48 PM
wholeshow*

Quote:
I think the problem is with you purposely misinterpreting people so that you can fill your days with online bickering.
you don't back up your statements, you come in with your ridiculous holier than thou attitude..and constantly insult the intelligence of other posters. once again, you deflected attention away from the point of the thread. i challenged you to explain why zednik isn't worth a 2nd rounder when you believe that zednik is a better option than sykora. once again you have failed at defending your opinion.

now run along

Old
07-12-2006, 02:51 PM
JV

Sykora? Blech.

Has nobody learned the lessons of Buffalo, Carolina and the Oilers? Carolina added grit to complement youth and speed. Buffalo and Edmonton were loaded up front with youth and speed and very, very few guys who won't pay the price. Zed doesn't know how to do it. And Bulis can't finish enough and doesn't play with enough desire. The team is going to be more cohesive and competitive without those guys, and people are clamouring to see Gainey add Sykora? I'd rather wait and see and then, if necessary, add a guy in November or December.

JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 02:52 PM
wholeshow*

Quote:
Because until the free agent season ends teams can sign players in Zedniks caliber or better themselves, mainly. Even more important parts of a team like goaltenders fetch only 2nd rounders ... it would be amazing if winger like Zednik got that much.

What if we paid Sykora 4 million and he ended up with 50 points again? Is the pick really worth it?
how many 30 goal scorers are left in the ufa market that aren't over the age of 35?

Old
07-12-2006, 02:54 PM
BigTimer*

Quote:
you don't back up your statements, you come in with your ridiculous holier than thou attitude..and constantly insult the intelligence of other posters. once again, you deflected attention away from the point of the thread. i challenged you to explain why zednik isn't worth a 2nd rounder when you believe that zednik is a better option than sykora. once again you have failed at defending your opinion.

now run along
Because it's common sense and if you can't figure that out on your own then why should I waste my time elaborating on a concept/s that you aren't able to pick up on. Your just avoiding the obvious to get a little skirmish going... Impressive.

Old
07-12-2006, 02:55 PM
wholeshow*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JV View Post
Sykora? Blech.

Has nobody learned the lessons of Buffalo, Carolina and the Oilers? Carolina added grit to complement youth and speed. Buffalo and Edmonton were loaded up front with youth and speed and very, very few guys who won't pay the price. Zed doesn't know how to do it. And Bulis can't finish enough and doesn't play with enough desire. The team is going to be more cohesive and competitive without those guys, and people are clamouring to see Gainey add Sykora? I'd rather wait and see and then, if necessary, add a guy in November or December.
carolina added stillman and whitney last offseason, they're not exactly the definitions of 'grit'...
commodore is a 6th d-man (something we don't need).
the oilers paid 4 million dollars for peca, and their fans were crying all season about his contract.
sabres didn't really add anyone from last offseason. but they lost grier and mckee this season, who are two prime examples of grit.
so what are you talking about teams adding grit?

Old
07-12-2006, 02:58 PM
wholeshow*

Quote:
Because it's common sense and if you can't figure that out on your own then why should I waste my time elaborating on a concept/s that you aren't able to pick up on. Your just avoiding the obvious to get a little skirmish going... Impressive.
if its so obvious you shouldn't have no problems in explaining yourself.
but you can't because you'd rather just make snide remarks towards every poster on hf as opposed to making a point and backing it up with an explanation.
what's impressive is that you have over 900 posts and none of them required any substance.

Old
07-12-2006, 03:01 PM
JV

Quote:
carolina added stillman and whitney last offseason, they're not exactly the definitions of 'grit'...
commodore is a 6th d-man (something we don't need).
the oilers paid 4 million dollars for peca, and their fans were crying all season about his contract.
sabres didn't really add anyone from last offseason. but they lost grier and mckee this season, who are two prime examples of grit.
so what are you talking about teams adding grit?
Weight, Recchi, Grier, Peca, etc.

Peca had a rough regular season but you know as well as I do that he was a huge part of the Oil ending up a period away from the cup.

When you have guys like Koivu, Kovalev, Zednik and Ribeiro up front, you don't need Sykora. You need players who will get it done in the third period in May, not the first period until April....

Think about it...

JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 03:04 PM
BigTimer*

Quote:
if its so obvious you shouldn't have no problems in explaining yourself.
but you can't because you'd rather just make snide remarks towards every poster on hf as opposed to making a point and backing it up with an explanation.
what's impressive is that you have over 900 posts and none of them required any substance.
Its been beaten to death for months. Either go on the Trade Rumour board and post a thread about Zednik's worth or cycle through the 250 threads on the exact same matter. Zednik could probably get us a 4th rounder. Maybe a 3rd if some team was desperate or if we're willing to throw in a late pick or a conditional one.