HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

#17 Jets at Sabres Tue Feb 19 7:00PM ET TV: MSG-B Radio: WGR-AM

Old
02-19-2013, 12:51 PM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foligno and Barnes View Post
Was thinking the same thing, if we aren't going to use him against the Jets, then what is the point of keeping him up?
He's saving Grigs for the non-conference games against teams with whom we're not competing for a playoff spot. Patience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
Is that actually a bad thing?
It's a confusing thing, certainly. Stafford was their best forward in two of the previous four games (both Boston home games), and he chooses now to come out and publicly rip him? Even after his slow start to the season, during which time he was trying to encourage him and treat him with kid gloves?

Stafford probably thought he was turning the corner after the second Boston game (3 pts in previous 3 games, +3), and then one game later he finds himself on the 4th line and being publicly ripped by his head coach. I think he'd have every right to be wondering why now.

(BTW, Ruff's public criticism was one of the things he was taken to task for by the players during the exit meetings. Recall when many of them were pissed off after he publicly lambasted Regehr and others after the Philly loss that eliminated them. Supposedly, Ruff was working on those things and accepting the players' input, and, according to Darcy, "reinventing" himself.)

The guy is done here. He isn't pushing the right buttons anymore. This is the first organization that's going to attempt to fire (most of) the players rather than firing the coach after everyone knew things had gone stale.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 12:58 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

vCash: 500
Realization: Ruff's not benching Stafford and Leo for recent play, he's benching them for sucking when he stuck to his guns and let them play out of their slumps in their cushy roles. Now, he assumes the team as a unit is playing well enough to handle playing 10 minutes with Kaleta on a scoring line so down and out they go.

Edit- ****, running with that thought further, Ruff still gets to keep his image of being a no ******** hard-ass because both guys have been net negatives on the year and you're only annoyed at the timing of the move if you've watched like every game this season. Seriously, the only thing Ruff is competent at at this point is image control, PR and keeping his job.

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 01:01 PM
BowieSabresFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcs View Post
If you don't like varying opinions being stated often, then the internet may not be the right place for you - let alone a sports forum based solely on sharing opinions.
You miss the point. I (and probably others)have no problem with varying opinions. Everyone has the right to say what they wish, as long as it is in a respectful manner, and most everything I have seen is respectful.

The problem is when so many threads are filled with the same complaints, over and over again. To me, it makes the board hard to read, and participate in.

BowieSabresFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 01:02 PM
Royisgone

Quote:
Originally Posted by S319R11S16 View Post
Buddy of mine said that Grigorenkos parents flew in to watch a few games and they were actually Sunday and Tonight.
No big deal. It's not like it's a long flight from Khabarovsk.

Royisgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 01:03 PM
BowieSabresFan

Now, as for the thread...

Sabres win this one 3-2, since I do not see the Sabres giving up less than two goals with the current state of the defense.

Hrmm..

Sabres: Vanek, Pominville, and some random "not first-liner."

Other team: Don't care.

BowieSabresFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 01:06 PM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator
Away, PM another mod

vCash: 666
Note: OP Additions - A/V

2.19 Lindy Ruff speaks with the media following Buffalo's morning skate. <4:02>

2.19 Claude Noel speaks with the media following Winnipeg's morning skate. <3:20>

Clitsome in, Redmond out per Noel's presser.

Woodhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 01:08 PM
Royisgone

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirby11 View Post
We obviously need hecht's great defensive ability on our 3rd line. oh, wait, hecht sucks defensively this year and is pretty much a black hole on offense...but let's keep playing him anyway!
Fire R & R (sadly, i think the only way lindy gets canned is if darcy gets the axe too)
What are you talking about with the black hole on offense?

Have you not seen his backhand from around the face off dot?

That thing is dynamite.

Old
02-19-2013, 01:18 PM
Royisgone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodhouse View Post
Wow, listen to Ruff's comments here on Leopold.

Talk about throwing a guy under the bus publicly.

Well Darcy, maybe your preference for hoping people change before you change people is not such a great idea...

Ruff is in full-bore damage control mode and desperately using every trick in his book to retain his job. We've seen this multiple times now in a young season.

Old
02-19-2013, 01:20 PM
Zip15

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirby11 View Post
We obviously need hecht's great defensive ability on our 3rd line. oh, wait, hecht sucks defensively this year and is pretty much a black hole on offense...but let's keep playing him anyway!
Fire R & R (sadly, i think the only way lindy gets canned is if darcy gets the axe too)
Oh wait, no he doesn't: only Ott has a lower GA on/60 at 5-on-5 than Hecht of our top-9 forwards. Keep reaching.

Old
02-19-2013, 01:24 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
He's saving Grigs for the non-conference games against teams with whom we're not competing for a playoff spot. Patience.

It's a confusing thing, certainly. Stafford was their best forward in two of the previous four games (both Boston home games), and he chooses now to come out and publicly rip him? Even after his slow start to the season, during which time he was trying to encourage him and treat him with kid gloves?

Stafford probably thought he was turning the corner after the second Boston game (3 pts in previous 3 games, +3), and then one game later he finds himself on the 4th line and being publicly ripped by his head coach. I think he'd have every right to be wondering why now.

(BTW, Ruff's public criticism was one of the things he was taken to task for by the players during the exit meetings. Recall when many of them were pissed off after he publicly lambasted Regehr and others after the Philly loss that eliminated them. Supposedly, Ruff was working on those things and accepting the players' input, and, according to Darcy, "reinventing" himself.)

The guy is done here. He isn't pushing the right buttons anymore. This is the first organization that's going to attempt to fire (most of) the players rather than firing the coach after everyone knew things had gone stale.
This was the argument some of us were making a few years ago... it's much harder and takes much longer to turn over a roster for a coach. And if you are wrong... you may be jeopardizing more than the present.

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 01:26 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by S319R11S16 View Post
Lindy Ruff mentality: "Kaleta worked hard last game, played pretty well so he's going to get rewarded."

Patrick Kaleta- The answer to needing a top 6 forward.

If its me, I put Grigorenko on the 2nd line, toss ennis and Foligno on his wings for a game.

Give it a shot, why not?
Why not? Because he isn't NHL ready and he certainly isn't ready to handle top 6 duties.

We all think the team sucks and won't make the playoffs. But no coach is going to think that and give up at this point of the season.

Grigs does nothing to help us win now. Why posters believe otherwise is beyond me.

He should be in juniors

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 01:27 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royisgone View Post
Wow, listen to Ruff's comments here on Leopold.

Talk about throwing a guy under the bus publicly.
But I thought leaving Leopold in the lineup was supposed to stabilize the defense?

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 01:29 PM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Just listened to his comments and I think saying he's throwing players under the bus is pretty damn strong for what he said.

Rob Paxon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 01:30 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar View Post
But I thought leaving Leopold in the lineup was supposed to stabilize the defense?
Yes and now that its stabilized he can come out.

Old
02-19-2013, 01:31 PM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator
Away, PM another mod

vCash: 666
Quote:
Just listened to his comments and I think saying he's throwing players under the bus is pretty damn strong for what he said.
This is what Ruff said for those that can't listen:
Quote:
Ruff on the decision to scratch Leopold:
“I’ve talked to Jordan recently, probably three or four games ago, about improved play. I thought we got a couple of pretty strong games. But in the last game, I expect more out of him, out of a veteran defenseman. He’s gonna have to work hard to get back in now.”
Quote:
Ruff on the decision to move Stafford off the second line:
“There’s an inside part to his game that is getting a little better. When he’s going well, you notice his skating. You notice the one-on-one battles; winning the majority of the one-on-one battles. When it isn’t going well, we’re not winning those battles.

“I didn’t think he was quite up to speed with his skating again the other night, and he lost some battles that I thought were key battles inside the game. It’s something that we’ve talked about. He needs to take a little bit more ownership on some of those battles to make a better play that turns into something better for us.”

Woodhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 01:31 PM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Why not? Because he isn't NHL ready and he certainly isn't ready to handle top 6 duties.

We all think the team sucks and won't make the playoffs. But no coach is going to think that and give up at this point of the season.

Grigs does nothing to help us win now. Why posters believe otherwise is beyond me.

He should be in juniors
But he's not, he's here. If he's here he damn well better play or the Sabres are just wasting his time and their roster spot.

HockeyH3aven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 01:39 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyH3aven View Post
But he's not, he's here. If he's here he damn well better play or the Sabres are just wasting his time and their roster spot.
Because he is here does not mean he should automatically play. The hype/hysteria over him has been asinine all season long.

Every roster has 23 spots and they obviously can't all play every night.

I said he should be in juniors because that what I want to see for him. But Regier/Ruff want him up and practicing/playing in the NHL.

Old
02-19-2013, 01:44 PM
Zip15

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyH3aven View Post
The team is trying to win now. You may think that's silly, and this likely is not a playoff team, but they're trying to make the playoffs. Right now, unfortunately, Grigs isn't helping them in that regard.

Old
02-19-2013, 01:44 PM
CrazyPsycho

Scott has no business being in this game over Grigs.

CrazyPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 01:48 PM
Deevo

Quote:
The team is trying to win now. You may think that's silly, and this likely is not a playoff team, but they're trying to make the playoffs. Right now, unfortunately, Grigs isn't helping them in that regard.
And John Scott is?

Deevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 01:49 PM
Sabreality

Quote:
but is Scott? I havent really complained with how Grigs has been used, he's going to get scratched, I just think tonite is a poor choice. Jets arent a dirty club and dont really employ any goons, not too mention their issues on D & the wider open style they play. Wouldve been a nice night to get Grigorenko some ice time.

Sabreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 01:51 PM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyPsycho View Post
Scott has no business being in this game over Grigs.
Yea this is sort of my feeling. Grigs should be getting SOME games where Scott sits. He's a better 4th liner than Scott. I think tonight [was] a good opportunity for that.

Rob Paxon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 01:56 PM
Have My Baby Pierre

I love John Scott..but there is no reason to dress a player that you only feel safe giving 3-4 minutes per night in the new NHL unless we are going up against a team like Boston. Absolutely none. It's just a waste these days. I think it's a bit absurd that he has dressed for every game except 1 so far.

Have My Baby Pierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 01:56 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Yea this is sort of my feeling. Grigs should be getting SOME games where Scott sits. He's a better 4th liner than Scott. I think tonight [was] a good opportunity for that.
No he isn't.

Grigs doesn't hit, doesn't win many puck battles, nor does he engage physically and obviously he wont fight. Why on earth would he be a good 4th liner?

I think posters want him to play so badly because they keep clinging to the fantasy/hope that one of these games its all suddenly going to click for him. Then he will go on a tear and wee will be amazed by what he does.

Old
02-19-2013, 01:58 PM
Squantosawuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by DespoticNewt View Post
Race for the bottom, gents. Our collective optimism is pretty low right now for both of our teams. Our team sucks, and your team sucks. Let's just hope that neither team embarrasses itself.
This can be accomplished in one of two ways:

Either nobody scores.....or everybody scores

Take your pick!

Squantosawuss is offline   Reply With Quote