HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Alexander Steen.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-16-2013, 02:31 PM
  #26
STLBLUES44
MILLER TIME
 
STLBLUES44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 1,375
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlzner View Post
Hi Blues fans... was wondering if it would be a good idea to pick up Steen in fantasy? He's currently the best free agent available... was thinking about dropping Grabner for him.
Grabner has 5G 2A in 13 games, while Steen has 4G and 11A in 14 games... does it look like he will keep this play up?
absolutely do it. he's playing with talented players and getting PP time not to mention his Plus minus will be alot better than grabners from here on out. Scratch out our five game skid which makes some of our players look worse then they are. Steeners a steal in most leagues now.

STLBLUES44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 07:25 PM
  #27
Daley Tarasenkshow
#hateonbackes
 
Daley Tarasenkshow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: St. Louis MO
Country: United States
Posts: 3,757
vCash: 500
Steen is easily my favorite player...such a workhorse.

Daley Tarasenkshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 10:34 PM
  #28
Regina Pat
Who Cares?
 
Regina Pat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: The ODR
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,219
vCash: 500
I cry everytime I read his name. I hope every Blues fan knows how lucky they are.

Regina Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 03:39 AM
  #29
MattyMo35
Moderator
Schwartz Be With You
 
MattyMo35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: St. Louis, MO
Country: United States
Posts: 7,772
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by K9 View Post
I cry everytime I read his name. I hope every Blues fan knows how lucky they are.
Sadly, not every Blues fan does. I'm fairly certain everyone on this board understands how great of a player he is, but I'd bet most casual fans don't think much of him. He doesn't score flashy goals, and he doesn't throw any huge hits, therefore he's worthless. I've seen quite a few people on the Blues Facebook page complain about Steen. I chuckle and facepalm at the same time.

MattyMo35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 04:47 AM
  #30
ManyIdeas
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 2,331
vCash: 500
He does his job very silently, take that however you want.

ManyIdeas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 04:59 PM
  #31
BlueDream
Registered User
 
BlueDream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 7,295
vCash: 500
He leads the team in points and plays a hard game. His faceoffs are bad but other than that he's been very good so far this season...One of our best forwards.

BlueDream is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 05:18 PM
  #32
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound
 
Celtic Note's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 8,771
vCash: 500
I think a lot of the Steen criticism derives from the assertion that he can be better. I like to believe that is because people know he can play even better on the wing, meaning he is a decent center but can become even more.

Regardless, my take is that Steen is a core member of this team. While I think he would be instantly better on the wing, I am wondering if he could be a long term solution to our center problem. Lets remember Steen just started playing at center again this year and hadn't played the position for a long time.

If Steen can continue to progress at center over the year, maybe he can be the guy we need. May be not. Time will tell.

I want to pose a question... Is Steen's play at wing more important to the team's success than his play at center? Sure he could be better on wing, but is his play at center more critical?

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 05:18 PM
  #33
STLBLUES44
MILLER TIME
 
STLBLUES44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 1,375
vCash: 500
not to mention it's fun to yell STEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEN!!! whenever he scores. but that's just a small part of how awesome he is lmao. he's so underrated that when tsn makes there top ten most underrated players he's not even included....

STLBLUES44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 06:00 PM
  #34
kimzey59
Registered User
 
kimzey59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 3,633
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDream View Post
He leads the team in points and plays a hard game. His faceoffs are bad but other than that he's been very good so far this season...One of our best forwards.
I strongly disagree.
Until the last 5 games; his defensive play was a mess at even strength, he was making a lot of mistakes in the offensive zone and his "hard game" was nowhere to be found.
Outside of his 2 points on opening night; Steen had 4 points(all assists) in the first 8 games.

He's turned his offensive game around since Hitchcock called him and Backes out in middle of a broadcast(his defense is still nowhere near what we've come to expect from him or what our system really needs to be effective) but he was nothing short of a trainwreck through the first 10 games of the year.

kimzey59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 10:41 AM
  #35
stlweir
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,516
vCash: 500
Wow Kimzey59, nothing short of a train wreck? Steen has been weak on face offs but he has been a very pleasant surprise with his play at center in my book.

stlweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 10:51 AM
  #36
Vladys Gumption
Moderator
Trap City
 
Vladys Gumption's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: St. Louis, MO
Country: United States
Posts: 8,389
vCash: 500
His play has picked up a lot lately. Lets not forget he's been a winger the last three years. If he can improve his face offs he'll probably stick at center. I'd like to see him locked up for more than just a year. People don't realize how important he is. Talk about a player getting the most out of his talent.

Vladys Gumption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 04:22 PM
  #37
Halak Ness Monster
Registered User
 
Halak Ness Monster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: St. Louis, MO
Country: United States
Posts: 974
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Ritchey View Post
Sure thing, just send us back Toby Enstrom and we'll be good to go.
Steen for Enstrom? Pass.

Last thing we need is another 5'10" puck moving d-man.

Now Zack Bogosian I'd have interest in.

Halak Ness Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 07:23 PM
  #38
kimzey59
Registered User
 
kimzey59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 3,633
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlweir View Post
Wow Kimzey59, nothing short of a train wreck? Steen has been weak on face offs but he has been a very pleasant surprise with his play at center in my book.
Until the last 5 games; absolutely.
As I said, his defensive game has gone downhill, he is a major liability on faceoff's, he was killing scoring opportunities by overhandling the puck and he wasn't doing any of the "hard work" in the corners that he earned his rep for. He had 4 points in 8 games playing between our 2 highest scoring players. That is not a good performance.

He's turned it around somewhat since Hitch called him out by name, but his defensive game still needs to pick up dramatically and he needs to learn how to win a FO. He is clearly not a center.

kimzey59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 07:28 PM
  #39
STLBLUES44
MILLER TIME
 
STLBLUES44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 1,375
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halak Ness Monster View Post
Steen for Enstrom? Pass.

Last thing we need is another 5'10" puck moving d-man.

Now Zack Bogosian I'd have interest in.
u mean a quality puck mover who plays tough minutes that puts up around 40+ points a year? yeah god forbid we get him. clearly he's just another kris Russell.

I agree I wouldn't do steen for enstrom but not for the reason you stated.

STLBLUES44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 11:39 PM
  #40
underslept
well-informed
 
underslept's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Poland
Posts: 1,111
vCash: 500
I have to agree with the minority here.

Steen overall this year has been average. Playing center has changed his game some and I'd prefer him on the wing where he clearly thrives.

Steen may have put a few points up during the losing streak, but he was down right bad all around during those games. I usually harp on Perron for being selfish, but the funk Steen was in for those five or so games was nasty. He's known for his ability to make the players around him better, but that skid showed the selfish side of Steen where he wasn't making plays for the team, but playing based on his emotional roller coaster.

That said, he has played better since the skid ended, but I don't think we'll see the Steen we're used to while he's playing center.

underslept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 11:29 AM
  #41
Halak Ness Monster
Registered User
 
Halak Ness Monster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: St. Louis, MO
Country: United States
Posts: 974
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLBLUES44 View Post
u mean a quality puck mover who plays tough minutes that puts up around 40+ points a year? yeah god forbid we get him. clearly he's just another kris Russell.

I agree I wouldn't do steen for enstrom but not for the reason you stated.
I guess we could get by with Enstrom as long as we don't play the Kings or Blackhawks ever again.

The last thing we need on D is another soft, puck mover.

I certainly wouldn't give up Steen for one.

Halak Ness Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 02:30 PM
  #42
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment
 
JustOneB4IDie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: St. Louis MO
Country: United States
Posts: 3,408
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic Note View Post
I think a lot of the Steen criticism derives from the assertion that he can be better. I like to believe that is because people know he can play even better on the wing, meaning he is a decent center but can become even more.

Regardless, my take is that Steen is a core member of this team. While I think he would be instantly better on the wing, I am wondering if he could be a long term solution to our center problem. Lets remember Steen just started playing at center again this year and hadn't played the position for a long time.

If Steen can continue to progress at center over the year, maybe he can be the guy we need. May be not. Time will tell.

I want to pose a question... Is Steen's play at wing more important to the team's success than his play at center? Sure he could be better on wing, but is his play at center more critical?
Steen is at the Center position out of need more then anything, since McDonald would get killed out there at the Center position, IMO.

JustOneB4IDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 02:35 PM
  #43
Oberyn
Prince of Dorne
 
Oberyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,135
vCash: 500
What do you guys think Steen's next contract will look like? He's a UFA after next season, and he's definitely deserving of a raise from his 3.3 cap hit. If we offered him 4 years at 4.2ish, do you think he'd accept? There's no doubt he'd be offered 5 mil on the open market.

Oberyn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 03:38 PM
  #44
STLBLUES44
MILLER TIME
 
STLBLUES44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 1,375
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halak Ness Monster View Post
I guess we could get by with Enstrom as long as we don't play the Kings or Blackhawks ever again.

The last thing we need on D is another soft, puck mover.

I certainly wouldn't give up Steen for one.
U need puckmovers to beat the kings forecheck. That's why Russell was our best dman in the playoffs.

STLBLUES44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 04:56 PM
  #45
Halak Ness Monster
Registered User
 
Halak Ness Monster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: St. Louis, MO
Country: United States
Posts: 974
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLBLUES44 View Post
U need puckmovers to beat the kings forecheck. That's why Russell was our best dman in the playoffs.
Is that also why Kevin Shattenkirk struggled so much?

Halak Ness Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 05:36 PM
  #46
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!
 
bluemandan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,677
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halak Ness Monster View Post
Is that also why Kevin Shattenkirk struggled so much?
It might possibly have something to do with Shattenkirk being in his first playoffs and Russell being in his second. Shattenkirk admitted not being fully prepared for the extra intensity of NHL playoff games and had conversations about it with Al MacInnis during the off-season.

bluemandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 03:15 AM
  #47
KirbyDots
Registered User
 
KirbyDots's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Mountain View, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,185
vCash: 500
Fantasy question. I'm trying to decide between Steen and Perron, who is the safer bet this season? My league counts goals, assists, +/-, and PIM. I really like both of them so its a tough decision.

KirbyDots is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 03:38 AM
  #48
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window
 
PocketNines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Crested Butte, CO
Posts: 9,298
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofSlashFoig View Post
What do you guys think Steen's next contract will look like? He's a UFA after next season, and he's definitely deserving of a raise from his 3.3 cap hit. If we offered him 4 years at 4.2ish, do you think he'd accept? There's no doubt he'd be offered 5 mil on the open market.
I feel like it's too early to worry about Steen's contract with so many other big contracts and decisions first (that frankly, plus the number of home playoff dates earned, will help us understand what we can and can't afford).

Hypothetically, if he continues his basic, steady trajectory then getting him at 4 x 4.2M would be a great contract for the Blues. He's the kind of guy I believe you win with. I really want to get him back to wing though. This is mostly because in our system the center rotates back into the defensive done first whereas we send one winger forward to harass opposing zone exits, and Steen on the wing was a genius doing this to create turnovers and scoring opportunities.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 04:18 AM
  #49
frankielax
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Los Angeles via STL
Country: United States
Posts: 388
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirbyDots View Post
Fantasy question. I'm trying to decide between Steen and Perron, who is the safer bet this season? My league counts goals, assists, +/-, and PIM. I really like both of them so its a tough decision.
I'd go with Perron. They'll be fairly close in points, but David will take quite a few more dumb penalties.

frankielax is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:13 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.