Notices

Booing at Wild (home) games

Old
02-19-2013, 12:42 PM
Dee Oh Cee

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dampland View Post
I am one of those fans, who go to a game to watch it for the hockey. I see no thrill in banging on the glass the whole game, or doing the wave, or clapping thundersticks together.

I want to watch the action and the players, many times how they are playing away from the puck.

I cheer a goal, or good penalty kill. But at the end of a period, the team is playing lifeless, crappy hockey. I will boo. However just being behind at the end of the period does not mean I boo. The team could still be playing well, just not getting the goals.

Also, how many times do you see players get interviewed and they mention how they like to play in front of knowledgeable fans like in Minnesota. In many interviews, I have heard players say ... "they know when to cheer... penalty kills, etc., and they also boo us when we deserve to be booed."

So if the players don't see anything wrong with it, why should I.
I think this relates to some other conversations we've had on here before in regards to Wild fans being relatively quiet. Of course we'll all cheer goals and great PKs, saves, etc. but we are all busy watching and dissecting the action to do the whole cheering randomly thing.

Dee Oh Cee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 12:42 PM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

vCash: 50
I'd rather hear fans boo than see fans do The Wave.

MuckOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 12:44 PM
nickschultzfan

I get the need to feel like you are "doing something", but silence is not nothing. It makes a statement.

Maybe there is a additional "benefit" of booing as opposed to silence, but I don't think it is worth the "cost."

Maybe on the margins, you get players a tiny bit more motivated. But it's going to make Minnesota less appealing place to play for hockey players. There is a reason a lot of free agents avoid Canadian franchises - even when they are Canadian.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 12:45 PM
Dee Oh Cee

I'm pretty sure every team is exposed to booing aren't they? Well except for places like Phoenix, Florida etc where there aren't enough fans to make a difference...

Dee Oh Cee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 12:46 PM
Dampland

By the way, I'm only talking about booing my favorite Professional or College team. I would never boo High School or younger athletes.

Dampland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 12:47 PM
Gaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomgilbertfan View Post
I'd rather be a "classless" fan who actually sounds like he gives a damn than a fan that stays quiet because its 'rude'. At least with boos you show that you care, staying quiet makes you look like an apathetic fan who has given up.
There's nothing more powerful than silence IMO. But then again, I'm Finnish and silence is golden here.

Besides, the booing is disturbing and makes watching the game more difficult to me. That's another reason I hate it.

Gaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 12:47 PM
tomgilbertfan
u wot m8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
I get the need to feel like you are "doing something", but silence is not nothing. It makes a statement.

Maybe there is a additional "benefit" of booing as opposed to silence, but I don't think it is worth the "cost."

Maybe on the margins, you get players a tiny bit more motivated. But it's going to make Minnesota less appealing place to play for hockey players. There is a reason a lot of free agents avoid Canadian franchises - even when they are Canadian.
The higher taxes?

tomgilbertfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 12:48 PM
PariseSuterKoivu

That was a horrible first period against Detroit. I would have booed too. It was earned IMO.

PariseSuterKoivu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 12:50 PM
nickschultzfan

Quote:
The higher taxes?
I live in NYC. I would be shocked if Canada had higher taxes. I have like a ~4% CITY income tax, on top of state and federal income taxes.

And then we just blow it on corruption, but that's another discussion for another day.

Old
02-19-2013, 12:52 PM
PuckInTheNards

I've always hated it. It seems counterproductive to demotivate your team.

PuckInTheNards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 12:52 PM
tomgilbertfan
u wot m8

Quote:
I live in NYC. I would be shocked if Canada had higher taxes. I have like a ~4% CITY income tax, on top of state and federal income taxes.

And then we just blow it on corruption, but that's another discussion for another day.
I know lecavlier didn't waive to go to the canadiens because he would've lost 10mil to taxes.

tomgilbertfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 01:22 PM
forthewild

its a simple answer the reward the team with what they earn.

They play great but can't score, you see the hustle you see the passion you cheer

they play like ****, losing puck battles, looking disinterested, being sloppy, lazy etc they EARN the BOOOOOOOOOO

If the team earns the booing they get one, its not like the slightest mistake causes it, from what i have seen the Wild fans are way too patient in getting the boos out.

If they deserve it then give it to them

forthewild is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 01:27 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

i think some people are just so into booing now they'll boo anything. offsides, the first PP of the night where the puck goes out of the zone, etc etc. I have a higher threshold I guess. Speaking of passion and apathy, I think booing too often just pushes players toward apathy...They know they're having a bad game, they probably have the coach riding them, and the fans booing a ****ing offsides? Yeah, that's really going to encourage them to try harder. At best it just becomes white noise and doesn't register anymore.
But it makes the fans happy so there's that.

edit: also have to point out that the most frequent Booers are the same people who yell shoot every time the puck touches someone's stick on the PP. every. time. in my experience. so, basically, idiots. team deserves booing sometimes, and guys pass up shots too often, but it's like people can't even figure out what's going on...just boo.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 01:40 PM
nickschultzfan

Quote:
I know lecavlier didn't waive to go to the canadiens because he would've lost 10mil to taxes.
Well Florida has no income tax.

Old
02-19-2013, 01:45 PM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

Quote:
i think some people are just so into booing now they'll boo anything.
I agree 100%.....it's also the same when fans are determined to boo an opponent every time they touch the puck....even if it's for like a second or two. Ironically, however, is that by booing that player, they may be doing more harm than good. Opponents LOVE to get boo'ed and it only serves as extra motivation for them.

MuckOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 02:04 PM
THEALLKNOWING*

1 ticket where I sit, gasoline, parking, concessions together is at minimum $5,000 per year. This comes out of one's disposable income, used as entertainment dollars.
In my opinion, that entitles the fan to do boo all they want, cheer all they want, do the wave, whatever, because one is putting their hard-earned dollar towards the Wild. But it should be directed towards the product on the ice, and nothing more.

At the same time, it is one's responsibility as a human being, to respect all of the other fans in the arena. Just because one is at the game doesn't give one a free pass, for whatever reason, to do/say what they want. Some of the comments I have heard over the years towards others, is much more disturbing than booing.

I don't boo, the wave is embarassing since its what 30-plus years old, I cheer a goal, don't respond to any of the message board stuff, and occasionally text someone on my phone who is not at the game to tell them what I am seeing.

THEALLKNOWING* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 02:04 PM
Sideline

vCash: 754
Quote:

The marginal income tax rate in Ontario is 49.53% and Quebec it's 48.22%. Both provinces also have a 15% sales tax. So yes some places in Canada have higher taxes.

On the other end of the spectrum Alberta has a 39% marginal income tax rate and a 5% sales tax.

Sideline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 02:06 PM
THEALLKNOWING*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckOG View Post
I agree 100%.....it's also the same when fans are determined to boo an opponent every time they touch the puck....even if it's for like a second or two. Ironically, however, is that by booing that player, they may be doing more harm than good. Opponents LOVE to get boo'ed and it only serves as extra motivation for them.
Everytime I heard Bertuzzi get booed, it annoys me big-time. I think to myself, get over it and move on with your lives. It happened 10 years ago.

THEALLKNOWING* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 02:09 PM
DeuceMN
Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckOG View Post
I'd rather hear fans boo than see fans do The Wave.
Uh God, seriously. This is not a high school football game....

DeuceMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 02:11 PM
DeuceMN
Really?

Only person I would still boo when they touch the puck is Ohlund... And that's just out of pure hate.

It might be unreasonable, but I really do hate him.

DeuceMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 02:32 PM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Send a message via MSN to Puhis Send a message via Skype™ to Puhis
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceMN View Post
Only person I would still boo when they touch the puck is Ohlund... And that's just out of pure hate.

I flat out hate the guy as well. Can't stand the ****ing excuse of a human being.

Puhis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 02:39 PM
Uberdachen

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckInTheNards View Post
I've always hated it. It seems counterproductive to demotivate your team.
I'd go with this. If booing was productive, Martin Skoula would have single-handedly led the Wild to all the Stanley Cups.

And

Uberdachen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 02:55 PM
BuddyMcCormick

I'm the obnoxious person yelling "Boo! You're bad and you should feel bad!"

BuddyMcCormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 03:07 PM
Granlund 64

Despite, personally, being quiet at games I don't mind those who chose to voice their displeasure boisterously.

Granlund 64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 03:08 PM
Gaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceMN View Post

Agreed. I don't like booing at individual players when they touch the puck any more than I like booing at my own team, but I'll make an exception for Öhlund. Well, at least he's no longer in the Western conference, so he actually stays out of my sight.

Gaps is offline   Reply With Quote