HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-2013 Connecticut Whale/Greenville Road Warriors Thread (AHL, ECHL) Part II

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-18-2013, 01:55 PM
  #951
SnowblindNYR
Registered User
 
SnowblindNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 17,728
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
I doubt it, but if he keeps improving, he might. He was really awful the first half a season. A lot of effort for no result. Then he was benched and I assume he was told that he's not Kovalev (stickhandler) and he's not Tkachuk (power forward), he's should use his speed and shooting. Suddenly he was firing away from everywhere and producing results. His blue line shot on the PP (he plays the point) is a real threat.

I actually think he could be another Hagelin, but with a better shot. The only problem is that being a couple inches shorter is kind of a problem for him. Everyone thinks he can only be a top-6 NHLer, but he could also be a spark plug if he uses his speed and shiftiness the right way.




McIlrath is at least as good as MDZ on defense. Obviously, he's not in the same stratosphere offensively, but I am not sure how he's worse defensively. I guess he's a rookie and might panic in times when a vet would be cool, but I haven't seen that in the AHL. I don't think having McIlrath instead of MDZ makes us worse defensively.

That said, keep MDZ!
Thanks!

SnowblindNYR is online now  
Old
02-18-2013, 02:30 PM
  #952
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors
 
Beacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 8,517
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKers View Post
Would think all three of Skjei, Nieves and Fogarty will all be in the NCAA again next year. Maybe 1 year longer after that for Nieves.

What did Nieves forget in college? If he can prove in preseason that he can play top-9 AHL hockey, he should be in Hartford. I think he's better served in the pros than in college if he continues to improve and gains at least 5 pounds in the next half a year.

Beacon is offline  
Old
02-18-2013, 03:39 PM
  #953
BBKers
Registered User
 
BBKers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: South Koster, Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 5,827
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
What did Nieves forget in college? If he can prove in preseason that he can play top-9 AHL hockey, he should be in Hartford. I think he's better served in the pros than in college if he continues to improve and gains at least 5 pounds in the next half a year.
Rangers prospects been developing well in the NCAA
At a slow pace

Stepan 2 years
Kreider & McD 3 years
Hagelin 4 years

Therefore I seriously doubt they try to rush Nieves (or the other 2) into pro hockey after only 1 year in the NCAA. None have them have shown that much promised that they need to be rushed IMO. But nobody knows and time will tell - especially if they show more and themselves ready...

BBKers is offline  
Old
02-18-2013, 04:01 PM
  #954
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 23,906
vCash: 145
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
What did Nieves forget in college? If he can prove in preseason that he can play top-9 AHL hockey, he should be in Hartford. I think he's better served in the pros than in college if he continues to improve and gains at least 5 pounds in the next half a year.
He's going to be "the guy" in Michigan next year. That will be a great situation for him, getting big minutes in all situations. Unless he's absolutely lights out in camp next year, there's really no reason to take him out of UM.

He has had a really good freshman season, but he's not dominant to the point where he's got nothing left to learn. I like him for another season there.

__________________

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now  
Old
02-18-2013, 04:02 PM
  #955
Kwayry
Take the damn deal
 
Kwayry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Plano
Country: United States
Posts: 2,914
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
He's going to be "the guy" in Michigan next year. That will be a great situation for him, getting big minutes in all situations. Unless he's absolutely lights out in camp next year, there's really no reason to take him out of UM.
I would argue he needs 2 more years in Michigan. Let him develop the right way instead of rushing him.

Kwayry is offline  
Old
02-18-2013, 04:07 PM
  #956
Kershaw
 
Kershaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country:
Posts: 25,519
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
He's going to be "the guy" in Michigan next year. That will be a great situation for him, getting big minutes in all situations. Unless he's absolutely lights out in camp next year, there's really no reason to take him out of UM.

He has had a really good freshman season, but he's not dominant to the point where he's got nothing left to learn. I like him for another season there.
This.

Florida left in Bjugstad, when he could've easily garnered a contract after his freshman season. He looks great now.

Kershaw is offline  
Old
02-18-2013, 04:15 PM
  #957
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,989
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
This.

Florida left in Bjugstad, when he could've easily garnered a contract after his freshman season. He looks great now.
They have been trying to sign him, he decided to return. I think one more year for Nieves and then see how he is doing. If he is consistently a difference-maker, sign him and bring him in.

NYR Viper is offline  
Old
02-18-2013, 04:39 PM
  #958
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 23,906
vCash: 145
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwayry View Post
I would argue he needs 2 more years in Michigan. Let him develop the right way instead of rushing him.
If he's not ready after next year, absolutely leave him there. If he takes the Stepan path and dominates his Sophomore year, then try to sign him. It's all just speculation at this point though.

nyr2k2 is online now  
Old
02-18-2013, 06:50 PM
  #959
Mikos87
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 2,126
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
This isn't a bad pairing because Vernace is good offensively and McIlrath is good defensively. Kind of like Leetch-Beukeboom. But Vernace got injured last game.

Vernace needs a quality defensive guy to cover for him as he's taking chances offensively. He can't be paired with Collins, who should be in the ECHL. That pairing, which Kenny G insisted on using for over half a season, is a disaster. Since moving away Vernace from Collins, his game has turned around.




He's on our first PK team. You have a guy who's big, fast and smart, so why wouldn't he be on the PK?




I don't remember many hip checks because usually smaller, chippier guys do that (think Kasparaitis, Tikkanen, Ulf Samuelsson - all of them 5-11 to 6-1), but his body checks are great. He finishes the checks instead of just shoving the opponent, then quickly gets back in position. It's clear that as soon as he hits a guy, he thinks about making sure he goalie gets help.

Honestly, I am having a hard time pointing to a flaw on defense by McIlrath in the last couple of weeks. He's just been dominant defensively. If he played yesterday in the NHL the same way he did in Hartford, there would be a mass celebration on this forum.
Thanks a ton man. I remember him being on a PK, I was wondering if he's out there for a 1:30 or something close there. Or is he good enough where the team is able to regularly clear the zone and change guys up.

Mikos87 is offline  
Old
02-19-2013, 12:13 PM
  #960
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,785
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
He was just terrific tonight. Not only can he play defense, he's like a textbook on defense. He sees the ice really well too, so his passes on defense are stick to stick. When two years from now we'll be debating who's our best defenseman, Staal, McDonagh or McIlrath, a lot of Undertaker-haters here will be looking really stupid.

The progress he's shown in a month is just phenomenal. If he keeps this up, he'll be in the NHL soon.

If you watched today's game without knowing who's playing and you were asked who's the #10 overall pick on the ice, you'd point out McIlrath. The team is allowing him to acclimate to the pros right now, but he should be in the NHL real soon if he doesn't regress.
Blatant as the 'reporting' on this last game.

'Oh Mcilrath was amazing on that play, Norris trophy amazing !, and my favorite 'Textbook!'

Ok, I admit I exaggerate that last one but my point is clear, seems you are going a tad overboard. Plus no negatives at all to speak of gives some doubt. What about his fight? What about the Monarchs, they have any players on that team over 5'10 ?

But really nice to see him playing defense and staying healthy. It's just a matter of timing before we see him called up for a cup of joe. Too important not to.

Bluenote13 is offline  
Old
02-19-2013, 02:09 PM
  #961
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,989
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Blatant as the 'reporting' on this last game.

'Oh Mcilrath was amazing on that play, Norris trophy amazing !, and my favorite 'Textbook!'

Ok, I admit I exaggerate that last one but my point is clear, seems you are going a tad overboard. Plus no negatives at all to speak of gives some doubt. What about his fight? What about the Monarchs, they have any players on that team over 5'10 ?

But really nice to see him playing defense and staying healthy. It's just a matter of timing before we see him called up for a cup of joe. Too important not to.



NYR Viper is offline  
Old
02-19-2013, 02:24 PM
  #962
bhamill
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 42
vCash: 500
Negative Nancy literally made me laugh aloud.

bhamill is offline  
Old
02-19-2013, 02:44 PM
  #963
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,785
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post




I can't wait for the undertaker to take on all comers and take them to task while taking off their underwear !

Bluenote13 is offline  
Old
02-19-2013, 02:46 PM
  #964
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,989
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post


I can't wait for the undertaker to take on all comers and take them to task while taking off their underwear !
I want to see swirley's damnit!

In all honesty it is good to have a mix of both good and bad comments. I am sure he needs to work on things but if he can be as solid as Staal defensively while not bringing quite the offense Staal does I'd be okay with that.

NYR Viper is offline  
Old
02-19-2013, 02:49 PM
  #965
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,785
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
I want to see swirley's damnit!

In all honesty it is good to have a mix of both good and bad comments. I am sure he needs to work on things but if he can be as solid as Staal defensively while not bringing quite the offense Staal does I'd be okay with that.
I don't think it's too far fetched to see him get a call up. Knock on wood, sans injury a late season call up, this year meaning just around the time the Whalepacks will be exiting their playoffs


Bluenote13 is offline  
Old
02-19-2013, 02:50 PM
  #966
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,989
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
I don't think it's too far fetched to see him get a call up. Knock on wood, sans injury a late season call up, this year meaning just around the time the Whalepacks will be exiting their playoffs
Ugh let's hope they don't miss the playoffs. On paper the team is relatively impressive.

NYR Viper is offline  
Old
02-19-2013, 02:54 PM
  #967
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,785
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Ugh let's hope they don't miss the playoffs. On paper the team is relatively impressive.
I hope they miss the playoffs. Bring up a few along for the ride and the rest will get ready early for next years camp. When I played and was eliminated early I itched to get back so training would start right away for the next team or camp I was going to play for.

Bluenote13 is offline  
Old
02-19-2013, 02:57 PM
  #968
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,989
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
I hope they miss the playoffs. Bring up a few along for the ride and the rest will get ready early for next years camp. When I played and was eliminated early I itched to get back so training would start right away for the next team or camp I was going to play for.
I am hoping for a couple of rounds in the playoffs. Would be nice for some of the young players to get some experience in the playoffs.

NYR Viper is offline  
Old
02-19-2013, 03:14 PM
  #969
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,785
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
I am hoping for a couple of rounds in the playoffs. Would be nice for some of the young players to get some experience in the playoffs.
Yeah, some players find their game when it matters most, win or lose you want to see who gives it that extra gear and who just doesn't have it in his veins.

Bluenote13 is offline  
Old
02-19-2013, 06:41 PM
  #970
Jarkko Immonen
#42 Artem Anisimov
 
Jarkko Immonen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 3,136
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Jarkko Immonen
Playoffs can also "birth" prospects like Hrivik. He looked good in his regular season at the end of the season, but his production came in the playoff run. It's great experience (and lots of fun for me!).

Jarkko Immonen is offline  
Old
02-20-2013, 12:50 AM
  #971
shinchanyo
Registered User
 
shinchanyo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Here
Posts: 2,468
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Blatant as the 'reporting' on this last game.

'Oh Mcilrath was amazing on that play, Norris trophy amazing !, and my favorite 'Textbook!'

Ok, I admit I exaggerate that last one but my point is clear, seems you are going a tad overboard. Plus no negatives at all to speak of gives some doubt. What about his fight? What about the Monarchs, they have any players on that team over 5'10 ?

But really nice to see him playing defense and staying healthy. It's just a matter of timing before we see him called up for a cup of joe. Too important not to.
Wait did you watch the game and see something different?

beacon has been one of the best posters in any of the threads I read on HF so far this season he also gave quite a few negatives and cautions.

shinchanyo is offline  
Old
02-20-2013, 03:45 AM
  #972
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat
 
wolfgaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,169
vCash: 500
JarkkoImmonen I don't know if you saw my question a page or two back, but I was hoping you would share with us what you have observed from McIlrath this season.

Thanks.

wolfgaze is offline  
Old
02-20-2013, 11:06 AM
  #973
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,785
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinchanyo View Post
Wait did you watch the game and see something different?

beacon has been one of the best posters in any of the threads I read on HF so far this season he also gave quite a few negatives and cautions.
Beacon is a good poster, but he went overboard with a few of those comments. I felt like I was reading a game review from Mcil's agent

Bluenote13 is offline  
Old
02-20-2013, 01:25 PM
  #974
Jarkko Immonen
#42 Artem Anisimov
 
Jarkko Immonen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 3,136
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Jarkko Immonen
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
JarkkoImmonen I don't know if you saw my question a page or two back, but I was hoping you would share with us what you have observed from McIlrath this season.

Thanks.
Oops, I didn't. I think Beacon might have a few lengthy posts about his observation. I'm not great at in-depth descriptions but...the best I can say he's rock solid. Very physical play. Feel good with him on the ice. Very smart player as well. Still needs more time to develop though I think.

Jarkko Immonen is offline  
Old
02-20-2013, 02:33 PM
  #975
Cmox
Registered User
 
Cmox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Queens,NY
Posts: 4,257
vCash: 500
Gosh, this thread makes me so stoked to get McIlrath on the main squad already.

Cmox is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:27 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.