HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-2013 Connecticut Whale/Greenville Road Warriors Thread (AHL, ECHL) Part II

Closed Thread

Old
02-18-2013, 01:55 PM
SnowblindNYR

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
I doubt it, but if he keeps improving, he might. He was really awful the first half a season. A lot of effort for no result. Then he was benched and I assume he was told that he's not Kovalev (stickhandler) and he's not Tkachuk (power forward), he's should use his speed and shooting. Suddenly he was firing away from everywhere and producing results. His blue line shot on the PP (he plays the point) is a real threat.

I actually think he could be another Hagelin, but with a better shot. The only problem is that being a couple inches shorter is kind of a problem for him. Everyone thinks he can only be a top-6 NHLer, but he could also be a spark plug if he uses his speed and shiftiness the right way.

McIlrath is at least as good as MDZ on defense. Obviously, he's not in the same stratosphere offensively, but I am not sure how he's worse defensively. I guess he's a rookie and might panic in times when a vet would be cool, but I haven't seen that in the AHL. I don't think having McIlrath instead of MDZ makes us worse defensively.

That said, keep MDZ!
Thanks!

Old
02-18-2013, 02:30 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKers View Post
Would think all three of Skjei, Nieves and Fogarty will all be in the NCAA again next year. Maybe 1 year longer after that for Nieves.

What did Nieves forget in college? If he can prove in preseason that he can play top-9 AHL hockey, he should be in Hartford. I think he's better served in the pros than in college if he continues to improve and gains at least 5 pounds in the next half a year.

Old
02-18-2013, 03:39 PM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
What did Nieves forget in college? If he can prove in preseason that he can play top-9 AHL hockey, he should be in Hartford. I think he's better served in the pros than in college if he continues to improve and gains at least 5 pounds in the next half a year.
Rangers prospects been developing well in the NCAA
At a slow pace

Stepan 2 years
Kreider & McD 3 years
Hagelin 4 years

Therefore I seriously doubt they try to rush Nieves (or the other 2) into pro hockey after only 1 year in the NCAA. None have them have shown that much promised that they need to be rushed IMO. But nobody knows and time will tell - especially if they show more and themselves ready...

Old
02-18-2013, 04:01 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 145
Awards:
Quote:
He's going to be "the guy" in Michigan next year. That will be a great situation for him, getting big minutes in all situations. Unless he's absolutely lights out in camp next year, there's really no reason to take him out of UM.

He has had a really good freshman season, but he's not dominant to the point where he's got nothing left to learn. I like him for another season there.

It's just pain.
Old
02-18-2013, 04:02 PM
Kwayry
Take the damn deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
He's going to be "the guy" in Michigan next year. That will be a great situation for him, getting big minutes in all situations. Unless he's absolutely lights out in camp next year, there's really no reason to take him out of UM.
I would argue he needs 2 more years in Michigan. Let him develop the right way instead of rushing him.

Old
02-18-2013, 04:07 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post

He has had a really good freshman season, but he's not dominant to the point where he's got nothing left to learn. I like him for another season there.
This.

Florida left in Bjugstad, when he could've easily garnered a contract after his freshman season. He looks great now.

Old
02-18-2013, 04:15 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
This.

Florida left in Bjugstad, when he could've easily garnered a contract after his freshman season. He looks great now.
They have been trying to sign him, he decided to return. I think one more year for Nieves and then see how he is doing. If he is consistently a difference-maker, sign him and bring him in.

Old
02-18-2013, 04:39 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 145
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwayry View Post
I would argue he needs 2 more years in Michigan. Let him develop the right way instead of rushing him.
If he's not ready after next year, absolutely leave him there. If he takes the Stepan path and dominates his Sophomore year, then try to sign him. It's all just speculation at this point though.

Old
02-18-2013, 06:50 PM
Mikos87

Quote:
This isn't a bad pairing because Vernace is good offensively and McIlrath is good defensively. Kind of like Leetch-Beukeboom. But Vernace got injured last game.

Vernace needs a quality defensive guy to cover for him as he's taking chances offensively. He can't be paired with Collins, who should be in the ECHL. That pairing, which Kenny G insisted on using for over half a season, is a disaster. Since moving away Vernace from Collins, his game has turned around.

He's on our first PK team. You have a guy who's big, fast and smart, so why wouldn't he be on the PK?

I don't remember many hip checks because usually smaller, chippier guys do that (think Kasparaitis, Tikkanen, Ulf Samuelsson - all of them 5-11 to 6-1), but his body checks are great. He finishes the checks instead of just shoving the opponent, then quickly gets back in position. It's clear that as soon as he hits a guy, he thinks about making sure he goalie gets help.

Honestly, I am having a hard time pointing to a flaw on defense by McIlrath in the last couple of weeks. He's just been dominant defensively. If he played yesterday in the NHL the same way he did in Hartford, there would be a mass celebration on this forum.
Thanks a ton man. I remember him being on a PK, I was wondering if he's out there for a 1:30 or something close there. Or is he good enough where the team is able to regularly clear the zone and change guys up.

Old
02-19-2013, 12:13 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
He was just terrific tonight. Not only can he play defense, he's like a textbook on defense. He sees the ice really well too, so his passes on defense are stick to stick. When two years from now we'll be debating who's our best defenseman, Staal, McDonagh or McIlrath, a lot of Undertaker-haters here will be looking really stupid.

The progress he's shown in a month is just phenomenal. If he keeps this up, he'll be in the NHL soon.

If you watched today's game without knowing who's playing and you were asked who's the #10 overall pick on the ice, you'd point out McIlrath. The team is allowing him to acclimate to the pros right now, but he should be in the NHL real soon if he doesn't regress.
Blatant as the 'reporting' on this last game.

'Oh Mcilrath was amazing on that play, Norris trophy amazing !, and my favorite 'Textbook!'

Ok, I admit I exaggerate that last one but my point is clear, seems you are going a tad overboard. Plus no negatives at all to speak of gives some doubt. What about his fight? What about the Monarchs, they have any players on that team over 5'10 ?

But really nice to see him playing defense and staying healthy. It's just a matter of timing before we see him called up for a cup of joe. Too important not to.

Old
02-19-2013, 02:09 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post

'Oh Mcilrath was amazing on that play, Norris trophy amazing !, and my favorite 'Textbook!'

Ok, I admit I exaggerate that last one but my point is clear, seems you are going a tad overboard. Plus no negatives at all to speak of gives some doubt. What about his fight? What about the Monarchs, they have any players on that team over 5'10 ?

But really nice to see him playing defense and staying healthy. It's just a matter of timing before we see him called up for a cup of joe. Too important not to.

Old
02-19-2013, 02:24 PM
bhamill

Negative Nancy literally made me laugh aloud.

Old
02-19-2013, 02:44 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post

I can't wait for the undertaker to take on all comers and take them to task while taking off their underwear !

Old
02-19-2013, 02:46 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:

I can't wait for the undertaker to take on all comers and take them to task while taking off their underwear !
I want to see swirley's damnit!

In all honesty it is good to have a mix of both good and bad comments. I am sure he needs to work on things but if he can be as solid as Staal defensively while not bringing quite the offense Staal does I'd be okay with that.

Old
02-19-2013, 02:49 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
I want to see swirley's damnit!

In all honesty it is good to have a mix of both good and bad comments. I am sure he needs to work on things but if he can be as solid as Staal defensively while not bringing quite the offense Staal does I'd be okay with that.
I don't think it's too far fetched to see him get a call up. Knock on wood, sans injury a late season call up, this year meaning just around the time the Whalepacks will be exiting their playoffs

Old
02-19-2013, 02:50 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
I don't think it's too far fetched to see him get a call up. Knock on wood, sans injury a late season call up, this year meaning just around the time the Whalepacks will be exiting their playoffs
Ugh let's hope they don't miss the playoffs. On paper the team is relatively impressive.

Old
02-19-2013, 02:54 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Ugh let's hope they don't miss the playoffs. On paper the team is relatively impressive.
I hope they miss the playoffs. Bring up a few along for the ride and the rest will get ready early for next years camp. When I played and was eliminated early I itched to get back so training would start right away for the next team or camp I was going to play for.

Old
02-19-2013, 02:57 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
I hope they miss the playoffs. Bring up a few along for the ride and the rest will get ready early for next years camp. When I played and was eliminated early I itched to get back so training would start right away for the next team or camp I was going to play for.
I am hoping for a couple of rounds in the playoffs. Would be nice for some of the young players to get some experience in the playoffs.

Old
02-19-2013, 03:14 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
I am hoping for a couple of rounds in the playoffs. Would be nice for some of the young players to get some experience in the playoffs.
Yeah, some players find their game when it matters most, win or lose you want to see who gives it that extra gear and who just doesn't have it in his veins.

Old
02-19-2013, 06:41 PM
Jarkko Immonen
#42 Artem Anisimov

Send a message via AIM to Jarkko Immonen
Playoffs can also "birth" prospects like Hrivik. He looked good in his regular season at the end of the season, but his production came in the playoff run. It's great experience (and lots of fun for me!).

Old
02-20-2013, 12:50 AM
shinchanyo

Quote:

Wait did you watch the game and see something different?

beacon has been one of the best posters in any of the threads I read on HF so far this season he also gave quite a few negatives and cautions.

Old
02-20-2013, 03:45 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

JarkkoImmonen I don't know if you saw my question a page or two back, but I was hoping you would share with us what you have observed from McIlrath this season.

Thanks.

Old
02-20-2013, 11:06 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinchanyo View Post
Wait did you watch the game and see something different?

beacon has been one of the best posters in any of the threads I read on HF so far this season he also gave quite a few negatives and cautions.
Beacon is a good poster, but he went overboard with a few of those comments. I felt like I was reading a game review from Mcil's agent

Old
02-20-2013, 01:25 PM
Jarkko Immonen
#42 Artem Anisimov

Send a message via AIM to Jarkko Immonen
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
JarkkoImmonen I don't know if you saw my question a page or two back, but I was hoping you would share with us what you have observed from McIlrath this season.

Thanks.
Oops, I didn't. I think Beacon might have a few lengthy posts about his observation. I'm not great at in-depth descriptions but...the best I can say he's rock solid. Very physical play. Feel good with him on the ice. Very smart player as well. Still needs more time to develop though I think.

Old
02-20-2013, 02:33 PM
Cmox

Gosh, this thread makes me so stoked to get McIlrath on the main squad already.

Closed Thread