HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Visiting Fan's Guide to Nashville & other local areas & Parking Updates

Old
06-29-2012, 03:37 PM
Legionnaire11

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasTransfer View Post
I'm moving to the Nashville(Antioch, to be exact) area come September and over the next two months I'll be doing my homework on where to go, park, eat, drink, and talk hockey.
Basically anywhere BUT Antioch

wait, that's not funny. You'll find some stuff close enough in Franklin and Nashville.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 03:40 PM
Predarat

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasTransfer View Post
First off, I want to say I'm looking to conversing with you all in the coming season of Predators Hockey. You've got a stout team and many years of success(maybe even a Cup!) ahead of you.

I'm moving to the Nashville(Antioch, to be exact) area come September and over the next two months I'll be doing my homework on where to go, park, eat, drink, and talk hockey.

While it'll be hard to leave the American Airlines Center behind, I look forward to taking in as many games as possible at Bridgestone Arena, hopefully against my beloved Stars or the Wings(long story, I'll save it for another day).

So with that, I just want to say a nice Howdy to you all and I look forward to talking puck with you all.
If you are moving to Antioch, be sure to have a gun, plenty of ammo, a bullet proof vest and have your will in order.

Predarat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 04:12 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predarat View Post
If you are moving to Antioch, be sure to have a gun, plenty of ammo, a bullet proof vest and have your will in order.
I lol'd literally, because I used to live there 20 years ago ... thank god our dad had the foresight to see what it has become/becoming

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 06:47 PM
x BEUKEBOOM x
Buuuuuuuuuuuk !

Hello Nashville.

I too am contemplating the big move and the Nashville area is on my radar at the moment.

1) I need NHL hockey. LoL.
2) NY has had it. Taxes are ridiculous and I see no future here for my family or future grand children (which is way down the road I hope.)
3) I want the simple life back in my life, the way it used to be in my area of NY way back when I was a kid.
4) I also need mountain areas so mid-west states are a no go, flat and barron is a major turn off.
5) 2nd amendment friendly is also a pre-requisite and ya'll are near the top of the list as far as that goes.
6) hoping for the most acreage as possible

So.

I was hoping since we here are all alternative sports nuts I might get a answer to this question.

Is schoolastic lacrosse even remotely big down there?

My son loves the sport and shows alot of potential to be good after only one season. Problem is I can't find much info on localized school or club/league lacrosse in the Nashville area, within 30 miles of the city is our goal. Ashland City seems nice, or maybe Murfreesboro but nothing is set in stone, just in the reconnaissance stages.

Last edited by x BEUKEBOOM x: 09-13-2012 at 06:52 PM.
x BEUKEBOOM x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 08:03 PM
x BEUKEBOOM x
Buuuuuuuuuuuk !

And no worries.

I'm not looking to come down and build a McMansion and tare up farm land. I absolutely despise that mentality of moving somewhere to turn it into what you left in the first place.

Would love to find a nice older house with a large property if I can afford it.

Old
09-13-2012, 08:19 PM
Top 6 Spaling

I'm a current high school student, so I can't speak as much to the property but think I am qualified to talk about lacrosse.

It all depends on the school. At my high school, we dont even have a LAX team (believe me, if we did, i'd be on it). Other schools, Father Ryan and Montgomery Bell for instance, have a huge base for it. If you want to play, there are certainly places to go, but its worth a long look before picking a school.

Top 6 Spaling is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 09:19 PM
x BEUKEBOOM x
Buuuuuuuuuuuk !

Do you know of any websites that localize the informatrion of all the programs in the area.

I tried googling the concept but only found a girls LAX travel team with my efforts.

Old
09-13-2012, 09:42 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by x CALLAHAN x View Post
Do you know of any websites that localize the informatrion of all the programs in the area.

I tried googling the concept but only found a girls LAX travel team with my efforts.
Not a clue. I can tell you all about high school hockey, but not as much about lacrosse.

Top 6 Spaling is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 10:56 PM
trotzian brow

Quote:

http://leagueathletics.com/?org=tsla

Lists all the teams I know of.

trotzian brow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 11:09 PM
x BEUKEBOOM x
Buuuuuuuuuuuk !

Quote:
Originally Posted by trotzian brow View Post
http://leagueathletics.com/?org=tsla

Lists all the teams I know of.
Thank you.

Just breezed through it right now. Will delve deeper tomarrow.

Old
09-15-2012, 01:53 PM
Nitrous Mafia

there was def HS lacrosse in williamson county and this was back in '05. as far as mtns go I would move to Chattanooga over Knoxville.

acreage? yeah, there is lots of it down here.

Nitrous Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 01:41 AM
CBJFIG

Hotel?

I'm coming in for the Flaming Lips/Black Keys show in a few months and was looking for affordable hotel suggestions.
Thanks in advance

CBJFIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 06:42 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJFIG View Post
I'm coming in for the Flaming Lips/Black Keys show in a few months and was looking for affordable hotel suggestions.
Thanks in advance
Nothing cheap downtown. However, the Millenium Maxwell House is a fairly short cab ride away and is a fantastic hotel the time I stayed and way cheaper than anything downtown/midtown. I stayed at the Holiday Inn Vanderbilt last week and it was $140ish after taxes per night and 2 miles from the arena/downtown area.

Have no idea where the concert is though.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 06:59 AM
ChesterCopperpot1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post
Nothing cheap downtown. However, the Millenium Maxwell House is a fairly short cab ride away and is a fantastic hotel the time I stayed and way cheaper than anything downtown/midtown. I stayed at the Holiday Inn Vanderbilt last week and it was $140ish after taxes per night and 2 miles from the arena/downtown area.

Have no idea where the concert is though.
It's at Bridgestone.

I, too, can vouch for the Millenium Maxwell House. Not a bad hotel and fairly cheap.

Staying anywhere on West End is good too. There Are no more Vandy football games so the rooms there won't be outrageous now.

ChesterCopperpot1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 07:02 AM
ChesterCopperpot1*

Quote:
Hello Nashville.

I too am contemplating the big move and the Nashville area is on my radar at the moment.

1) I need NHL hockey. LoL.
2) NY has had it. Taxes are ridiculous and I see no future here for my family or future grand children (which is way down the road I hope.)
3) I want the simple life back in my life, the way it used to be in my area of NY way back when I was a kid.
4) I also need mountain areas so mid-west states are a no go, flat and barron is a major turn off.
5) 2nd amendment friendly is also a pre-requisite and ya'll are near the top of the list as far as that goes.
6) hoping for the most acreage as possible

So.

I was hoping since we here are all alternative sports nuts I might get a answer to this question.

Is schoolastic lacrosse even remotely big down there?

My son loves the sport and shows alot of potential to be good after only one season. Problem is I can't find much info on localized school or club/league lacrosse in the Nashville area, within 30 miles of the city is our goal. Ashland City seems nice, or maybe Murfreesboro but nothing is set in stone, just in the reconnaissance stages.
If your son loves sports, Murfreesboro gets my vote. Not much LAX down that way but some fantastic athletes in that county. It's 30 mins from the city. And then you're 100 miles away from the mountains of Chattanooga.

To get LAX, you'll likely have to go with one of the prominent private schools in Nashville. I don't grow up playing it so I never really paid attention.

No state income tax is what I really miss about Tennessee

ChesterCopperpot1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 10:56 PM
Nitrous Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJFIG View Post
Thanks in advance
kayak shows $109 for the best western downtown.

dont stay anywhere on the east side of the river.

Nitrous Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 03:18 PM
oilersrock99

Coming to Nashville - Things to do/stay?

Hey everybody. My buddy and I are flying to Nashville on the 7th of March to watch the Oilers/Preds game on the 8th and we were wondering if people had suggestions on where to stay and things to do? We'll be leaving early on the 9th, so we won't have much time, but we'd like to stay somewhere close to the arena, so we can stumble home if need be after the game.

Suggestions? Ideas?

Also, should we rent a vehicle or is transit and taxi services reliable and plentiful?

oilersrock99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 03:50 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

This has everything you need!

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...d.php?t=811313

AtlantaWhaler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 04:21 PM
Neal Before Zod

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersrock99 View Post
Hey everybody. My buddy and I are flying to Nashville on the 7th of March to watch the Oilers/Preds game on the 8th and we were wondering if people had suggestions on where to stay and things to do? We'll be leaving early on the 9th, so we won't have much time, but we'd like to stay somewhere close to the arena, so we can stumble home if need be after the game.

Suggestions? Ideas?

Also, should we rent a vehicle or is transit and taxi services reliable and plentiful?
There is a thread devoted for visitors to Nashville, but until the mods move this, I'll respond here.

Where to stay/what to do depends on how much you are planning to spend while you are here.

I'll start off with your last bit -- Nashville is a very car-oriented city. Yes, we do have buses that run around town, and a single line commuter train, but for a visitor coming here for the first time, you will probably find that exploring or going any fair distance via public transportation will be frustrating. Taxis can get expensive, quick...so I wouldn't suggest using that as your primary means of transport.

If you can get a good deal on a rental car, I'd probably just go with that, if you plan to actually visit other areas around town.

If you are planning on really just taking it easy, visiting a few bars/restaurants and seeing just a few things, I would recommend staying downtown or in midtown (West End/Vanderbilt area). There are several bus lines that can quickly and cheaply take you a short distance, and late at night a cab ride might cost you $8-10 with tip. You can also walk to a lot of places if you stay there.

Hotels tend to be a little more expensive in town...so plan on somewhere between $100-150+ (plus a pretty decent hotel tax on top of that). I would caution you on any "in town" places that are much lower than $100. They are usually crapholes. If you are a member of a hotel rewards program, check that out. You could also try one of the hotel sites (like priceline.com).

Here is the bus route map:
http://www.nashvillemta.org/news/pub146.pdf
Notice on the first page on the right hand side there is something called the Music City Circuit. It is a free bus that circulates around the downtown area. You would mainly be looking at the blue and green lines. It doesn't really go to a lot of places, but you may find it effective in knocking off a long walk (and our downtown is a little hilly) if you are exploring by day.

On the larger city map at the bottom, "midtown" is the area around Vanderbilt, just southwest of downtown.

Things to do/see around downtown/midtown:
-Bars
--Plenty of 'honkytonks' on Lower Broadway. I don't have a favorite. Loud, live music (primarily Country, of course).
--2nd Ave has some honkytonks, but also some more "club" like places and larger venues. It's a little more subdued than Lower Broad.
--Broadway Brewhouse and The Flying Saucer are both good beer places. Yazoo and Jackalope are breweries in The Gulch district with taprooms (remember the green line bus).
--The Exit/In (Midtown off of Elliston Pl) and 5 Spot (East Nashville, 5 Points) are good places to catch non-Country shows. Station Inn in The Gulch usually has some Bluegrass.

-Parks/Misc (just chill, bro)
--Centennial Park and The Parthenon are out near Vanderbilt if you want a nice place to just chill.
--The Bicentennial Mall is located just to the north of the capitol building. You can take a stroll and learn about some Tennessee history while you are there. There's also a Farmer's Market next door if you want to check out local/regional produce and there's an indoor "food court" with some great little places (like Jamaicaway and B&C BBQ).
--The State Capitol isn't a park, but they usually have tours (depending on day and time). Also see Legislative Plaza.
--Riverfront Park and Cumberland Park...just some green space with a little landscaping (Cumberland Park)...decent spot to just chill. Use the Shelby St pedestrian bridge.
--The Country Music Hall of Fame - whether or not you are interested in Country Music, this is a really neat place. But it's kind of expensive, too.

-Restaurants (it depends on what you want -- if you have any specifics, let us know)
--Jack's and Rippy's are BBQ places on Lower Broad. Very convenient to Bridgestone Arena, but they can be insanely crowded.
--Paradise Park has some dangerously greasy hamburgers
--Puckett's on 5th and Church is a little away from the tourist craziness...they have good Southern food.
--Rotier's on Elliston Pl (Midtown) has a very good burger.
--Plenty of higher end establishments around downtown, especially in Midtown, Germantown, and 5 Points.
--Pancake Pantry and Fido in Hillsboro Village (south side of Vanderbilt) have good breakfast.
--12th South has a number of interesting places to eat as well.

You can accomplish most of the above with a combination of walking, riding the bus, or a short taxi ride. Nashville is pretty spread out, though, so I would not suggest trying to walk everywhere.

If you want to get out a little more, or you want to stay further from town (perhaps a less expensive hotel)...then renting a car is more or less a requirement. But if you do that, you open yourself up to more to see. But as you say, you don't have much time.

Personally, I would opt for spending a little more on hotel, and a little less on transportation.

Neal Before Zod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 10:35 PM
VandyBuck

Help Wanted

nm st

Last edited by VandyBuck: 02-21-2013 at 10:33 PM.
VandyBuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 01:36 AM
oilersrock99

Quote:
Originally Posted by BourqueBourqueBork View Post
There is a thread devoted for visitors to Nashville, but until the mods move this, I'll respond here.

If you want to get out a little more, or you want to stay further from town (perhaps a less expensive hotel)...then renting a car is more or less a requirement. But if you do that, you open yourself up to more to see. But as you say, you don't have much time.

Personally, I would opt for spending a little more on hotel, and a little less on transportation.

Thanks so much for the detailed info! I think we'll stay downtown and try to walk/cab it around. I"m getting in a night early so I'll definitely try to check out some places while I'm sober, as I'm guessing Thursday will be a drink fest prior to and after the game

I'm super excited - I've heard great things about the city!

I'm thinking of staying at the Courtyard by Marriot - 1901 West End Avenue. Is that a good area? It sounds like its by the University and its only about a mile from the Arena, so I'm thinking cabbing it won't be too bad.
It looks like I can get a room for around $180ish per night, which isn't out of my budget, and seems pretty decent for the area.

Suggestions? Comments?

Last edited by oilersrock99: 02-25-2013 at 02:00 AM.
Old
02-25-2013, 06:26 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersrock99 View Post
Thanks so much for the detailed info! I think we'll stay downtown and try to walk/cab it around. I"m getting in a night early so I'll definitely try to check out some places while I'm sober, as I'm guessing Thursday will be a drink fest prior to and after the game

I'm super excited - I've heard great things about the city!

I'm thinking of staying at the Courtyard by Marriot - 1901 West End Avenue. Is that a good area? It sounds like its by the University and its only about a mile from the Arena, so I'm thinking cabbing it won't be too bad.
It looks like I can get a room for around $180ish per night, which isn't out of my budget, and seems pretty decent for the area.

Suggestions? Comments?
Close to college bars, cheap cab ride to south broadway. You can't go wrong there really. Personally, I'd stay at the Hilton right across the street from the Arena or Holiday inn on Broadway. Both are downtown and you can walk everywhere and still make it back drunk as hell. ( I know, I've found my way back before, somehow). Too bad you aren't staying Saturday night as we are hosting the Wild and Suter's return to Nashville. I bet that would be fun for a neutral fan too.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 01:28 PM
Byrddog

Quote:
Close to college bars, cheap cab ride to south broadway. You can't go wrong there really. Personally, I'd stay at the Hilton right across the street from the Arena or Holiday inn on Broadway. Both are downtown and you can walk everywhere and still make it back drunk as hell. ( I know, I've found my way back before, somehow). Too bad you aren't staying Saturday night as we are hosting the Wild and Suter's return to Nashville. I bet that would be fun for a neutral fan too.
I agree The Hilton may be a little more pricey but no transportation issues. And in Three block area there is all the entertainment and food you could want.

Shoot you might just want to stay after a game at the bridge, But if you do please bring Eberle, Hall and RNH along Oh and maybe Yakupov too.

Byrddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 02:11 PM
Fo Shea Shea

The Hampton Inn is very close by and affordable. The Marriott on West End is in a good area and very nice, but not near the good downtown bars.

Fo Shea Shea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 03:48 PM
oilersrock99

Quote:
Thanks! I'm checking out all the options close to downtown. The Hilton is pretty pricey at $400 per night, but I'll see if I can find a deal.
Yeah, we're heading out Saturday morning to Chicago for the Oilers/Hawks game on Sunday. My sister is flying from Toronto to meet us in Chicago, 'cause its her birthday on the 10th, so we thought we'd hit up Chicago with her for a day.

Thanks for the suggestions!