HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Make a move?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-19-2013, 01:11 PM
  #76
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sudbury
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,108
vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
Agreed. Unless we are out of the playoffs. Then I go to Briere and ask him to waive his NMC and see if we can get something for him. I also tell him that we are going to buy him out in the summer. It is time that this team lets the young center's play their position. Schenn has been MUCH better at C. Let them play. The 6.5 mill in cap space can be VERY VALUABLE next summer and thru the season.
If we can't replace Briere (ie: Perry), there's no sense buying him out this summer

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 01:54 PM
  #77
toughfighter83*
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 563
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
Agreed. Unless we are out of the playoffs. Then I go to Briere and ask him to waive his NMC and see if we can get something for him. I also tell him that we are going to buy him out in the summer. It is time that this team lets the young center's play their position. Schenn has been MUCH better at C. Let them play. The 6.5 mill in cap space can be VERY VALUABLE next summer and thru the season.
that's dumb, this team is bad and getting rid of briere for a bag of pucks, is beyond dumb, unless homer has a plan b which he didnt with jagr, you cant replace briere with a young player.

toughfighter83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 02:10 PM
  #78
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 36,312
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughfighter83 View Post
that's dumb, this team is bad and getting rid of briere for a bag of pucks, is beyond dumb, unless homer has a plan b which he didnt with jagr, you cant replace briere with a young player.
We're going to have to replace him sometime. Unless he pulls a Selanne, he's declined to a PP specialist and he isn't getting any younger...meaning we shouldn't expect him to get better. The cap is dropping by 6 million next year. A fitting Briere replacement is a younger FA, despite your odd fear of young players.

__________________
Down in the basement, I've got a Craftsman lathe. Show it to the children when they misbehave.
Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 02:13 PM
  #79
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida
 
JDinkalage Morgoone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: 308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
Country: Uzbekistan
Posts: 11,379
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
We're going to have to replace him sometime. Unless he pulls a Selanne, he's declined to a PP specialist and he isn't getting any younger...meaning we shouldn't expect him to get better. The cap is dropping by 6 million next year. A fitting Briere replacement is a younger FA, despite your odd fear of young players.
You think Tye McGinn could step in and be counted on to produce? Or would you advocate keeping Laughton at center and moving someone else to wing? We have an absolute glut at center, I want to keep Schenn there.

__________________
"Help was not promised, lovely girl. Only death."
JDinkalage Morgoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 02:16 PM
  #80
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 36,312
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
You think Tye McGinn could step in and be counted on to produce? Or would you advocate keeping Laughton at center and moving someone else to wing? We have an absolute glut at center, I want to keep Schenn there.
We have plenty of replacements at center available; as it is, it seems Briere spends most of his time on the wing anyways. I'd like to use his cap space to get a winger for Giroux. Or better yet, a defenseman...but that's much less likely.

I think we can expect to see Laughton traded at some point.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 02:34 PM
  #81
dats81
Registered User
 
dats81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Carinthia
Country: Austria
Posts: 2,006
vCash: 500
We have an abundance of young talented two-way centers but just because you have plenty of something that does not automatically mean that they you are set for the next couple of years and that there are no urgent needs. For instance they are still lacking a responsible bottom 6 center who can win a fair share of defensive faceoffs and be trusted in critical minutes.

And they need Veteran guidance, older players who can absorb some of the adversity and lead by example. They have already lost Pronger, then Jagr, Timonen will be gone shortly and if Briere is bought out they will have to sign an adequate replacement - not necesarily in terms of production but as a role model and such characters are not exactly easy to find. I understand that Briere is definitely overpaid for what he puts on the scoresheet but unless Homer puts them in cap hell again, you don't buy him out right now...maybe next season when Simmonds, Voracek, Read are a year older and ready to take on a leadership role themselves.

dats81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 02:39 PM
  #82
Psuhockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,813
vCash: 500
Couldn't Briere be traded? He has hardly any real money left on his deal and a large cap hit. That could be very attractive for a salary floor team. I don't think he would necessarily block a trade.

Psuhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 02:43 PM
  #83
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener
 
SeanCWombBroom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 4,680
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
Couldn't Briere be traded? He has hardly any real money left on his deal and a large cap hit. That could be very attractive for a salary floor team. I don't think he would necessarily block a trade.
Pending he would waive his clause. Sure. Most attractive option would be to a sure thing contender for the cup. Teams would definitely value his playoff production.

He would have to waive though.

SeanCWombBroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 06:00 PM
  #84
Rolex
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 199
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers2112 View Post
http://www.sootoday.com/content/spor...ls.asp?c=53559


We need to give this boy a chance....from my home town!
If he can clean up his legal issues. He's the kind of guy that this team lacks. One of those players who always seems to have the puck find his stick. Also his like Marchand- a pain to play against.

Rolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 06:28 PM
  #85
bauer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,051
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
We're going to have to replace him sometime. Unless he pulls a Selanne, he's declined to a PP specialist and he isn't getting any younger...meaning we shouldn't expect him to get better. The cap is dropping by 6 million next year. A fitting Briere replacement is a younger FA, despite your odd fear of young players.
agree. imo a lot depends on Perry. if Perry is a pending UFA the team needs to go hard for him and use Briere's caphit to do it. but even without Perry, that 6.5m could still be used to greatly improve the team for the future (ie: finding a #1 Dman to replace Pronger and Timonen) so safe to say Briere's days as a Flyer should be numbered. it makes little sense to keep him around beyond this season.

btw, love the avatar Beef.

bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 07:35 PM
  #86
Tripod
Registered User
 
Tripod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 7,559
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dats81 View Post
We have an abundance of young talented two-way centers but just because you have plenty of something that does not automatically mean that they you are set for the next couple of years and that there are no urgent needs. For instance they are still lacking a responsible bottom 6 center who can win a fair share of defensive faceoffs and be trusted in critical minutes.

And they need Veteran guidance, older players who can absorb some of the adversity and lead by example. They have already lost Pronger, then Jagr, Timonen will be gone shortly and if Briere is bought out they will have to sign an adequate replacement - not necesarily in terms of production but as a role model and such characters are not exactly easy to find. I understand that Briere is definitely overpaid for what he puts on the scoresheet but unless Homer puts them in cap hell again, you don't buy him out right now...maybe next season when Simmonds, Voracek, Read are a year older and ready to take on a leadership role themselves.
I sort of see you point...except Briere's 6.5 mill can go a long way to replacing other needs. First off, that 6.5 could go to Perry. Who would you rather have? Or the $ could go to a Clarkson and Smid...fill 2 holes. It gives you options. The only way I keep him next year is if he is moved to the wing this year an produces...which has been an issue in the past. The time is now to have G, Schenn and Couts as our C's.

Tripod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 07:44 PM
  #87
SolidSnakeUS
Registered User
 
SolidSnakeUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pipersville, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 29,117
vCash: 500
If we got Perry, sign him to a 7 year contract, he would be 35 when he's done, and so when someone else will pick him up afterwards, he will be a 35+ contract. 7 years at 6 or 6.5M sounds good. I can't remember, but Perry is a guy that can hit and if I'm right, he also likes to get feisty like Briere would right?

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 08:27 PM
  #88
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 13,972
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
If we got Perry, sign him to a 7 year contract, he would be 35 when he's done, and so when someone else will pick him up afterwards, he will be a 35+ contract. 7 years at 6 or 6.5M sounds good. I can't remember, but Perry is a guy that can hit and if I'm right, he also likes to get feisty like Briere would right?
Perry is a giant ********, hits a lot, scores a lot, and gets under people's skin.

He tried to kill Giroux too; gave Giroux his first concussion his rookie year.

Remember if you get Perry, you almost have to move a winger for a defenseman, and it also means you don't have room to get Ryan.

CS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 08:32 PM
  #89
SolidSnakeUS
Registered User
 
SolidSnakeUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pipersville, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 29,117
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Perry is a giant ********, hits a lot, scores a lot, and gets under people's skin.

He tried to kill Giroux too; gave Giroux his first concussion his rookie year.

Remember if you get Perry, you almost have to move a winger for a defenseman, and it also means you don't have room to get Ryan.
I thought it was Gagne who he tried to headhunt?

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 08:40 PM
  #90
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 13,972
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
I thought it was Gagne who he tried to headhunt?
Pretty sure it was Perry who elbowed Giroux in the face during Giroux's rookie season.

CS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 08:40 PM
  #91
flyersfan187
Registered User
 
flyersfan187's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Morrisdale, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,816
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
I thought it was Gagne who he tried to headhunt?
He could have done that to Gagne too, but I remember him elbowing Giroux to the head. I don't even think he was around the puck if I remember correctly. Just a clean cheap shot.

flyersfan187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 08:42 PM
  #92
The Couturier Effect
Registered User
 
The Couturier Effect's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 3,751
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughfighter83 View Post
that's dumb, this team is bad and getting rid of briere for a bag of pucks, is beyond dumb, unless homer has a plan b which he didnt with jagr, you cant replace briere with a young player.
So you wanna keep a 35 year old whose production has dropped and is making $6mil a year? You always complain about not having a sniper on the wing and not having a #1 defenseman. With the cap dropping this year, affording any of those players that you want will be close to impossible if we keep Briere on the books. It's pretty easy to replace Briere with all the young talent we have on the team, many who are out-producing him this year.

The Couturier Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 08:45 PM
  #93
The Couturier Effect
Registered User
 
The Couturier Effect's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 3,751
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Perry is a giant ********, hits a lot, scores a lot, and gets under people's skin.
Sounds like the perfect Flyer

The Couturier Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 08:59 PM
  #94
achdumeingute
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NorCal
Posts: 2,262
vCash: 500
I don't know, I'm honestly thinking we should look at Semin. He will probably come at a better price than Perry, he's super talented, and could probably score at will with setups from Claude.

He gets alot of undeserved flack IMO. I was hoping we would do exactly what CAR did with him this season, 1 yr 7m.

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 09:02 PM
  #95
achdumeingute
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NorCal
Posts: 2,262
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
Agreed. Unless we are out of the playoffs. Then I go to Briere and ask him to waive his NMC and see if we can get something for him. I also tell him that we are going to buy him out in the summer. It is time that this team lets the young center's play their position. Schenn has been MUCH better at C. Let them play. The 6.5 mill in cap space can be VERY VALUABLE next summer and thru the season.
meh, even if we are in the playoffs if we can get a good offer for Briere, Coburn, or Timonen I would deal them if I were GM.

I'm looking at next year.

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 09:03 PM
  #96
achdumeingute
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NorCal
Posts: 2,262
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers2112 View Post
http://www.sootoday.com/content/spor...ls.asp?c=53559


We need to give this boy a chance....from my home town!
What happened to that ra pe charge against Cousins?

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 09:04 PM
  #97
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28
 
King Forsberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 5,127
vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post
meh, even if we are in the playoffs if we can get a good offer for Briere, Coburn, or Timonen I would deal them if I were GM.

I'm looking at next year.
If your thinking about next year then why are you trading Coburn?

King Forsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 09:04 PM
  #98
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 36,312
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post
What happened to that ra pe charge against Cousins?
Still in the legal process and such. I think.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 09:07 PM
  #99
achdumeingute
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NorCal
Posts: 2,262
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingForsberg View Post
If your thinking about next year then why are you trading Coburn?
For a good deal, i would do it.

He's nearly 5m per, zero offense, Grossmann and Schenn are basically the same player. Are we going to resign him in 2 years (or 3 or whatever it is, too lazy to lookup) for MORE money?

I'm not saying trade him for a 7th round pick, but If he could be part of a good deal for say a "runblad" player, I'd wish him the best.

I just don't have him on the list of untouchables...

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 09:30 PM
  #100
BernieParent
Registered User
 
BernieParent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,010
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post
For a good deal, i would do it.

He's nearly 5m per, zero offense, Grossmann and Schenn are basically the same player. Are we going to resign him in 2 years (or 3 or whatever it is, too lazy to lookup) for MORE money?

I'm not saying trade him for a 7th round pick, but If he could be part of a good deal for say a "runblad" player, I'd wish him the best.

I just don't have him on the list of untouchables...
In that context, it makes sense. Coburn + X to upgrade to a more complete defenseman with offensive talent.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:44 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.