Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Quarter of season finished...

Old
02-19-2013, 02:49 PM
thegodfather

vCash: 500
Quarter of season finished...

Debated on starting this thread. Probably could put this into many threads. Mods can lock if they feel this is overkill.

But a 1/4 of the season is now over so I'm wondering what the answers will be to these questions.

1. Who has most impressed you so far ?

2. Other then Bourque(LOL) who has least impressed you ?

3. Is there 1 glaring thing that scares you about the Bruins play so far ?

4. Using the A,B,C scale like in school, where do you feel the Bruins are playing at ?

thegodfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 02:50 PM
Bi Coastal Bawse*

Dougie has impressed

Bi Coastal Bawse* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 02:50 PM
TP
Global Moderator

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegodfather View Post
Debated on starting this thread. Probably could put this into many threads. Mods can lock if they feel this is overkill.

But a 1/4 of the season is now over so I'm wondering what the answers will be to these questions.

Dougie!

Ference

The Power Play
4. Using the A,B,C scale like in school, where do you feel the Bruins are playing at ?

B
We need a goal scorer.

TP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 02:53 PM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:

1. Marchand. Really getting the most out of his abilities.

2. Chara. Looks old and slow and is getting caught out of position lots of shifts. Not the Chara of old. Hopefully it's just an undisclosed injury that he's nursing.

3. They can't score. Offensively challenged is being nice.

4. C. They've won a lot of games they had no business even being in. Hopefully they start rolling offensively and start rolling other teams. You can't expect your goalie to stand on his head every night and bail you out for the win come the shoot out.

LSCII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 02:59 PM
the overrated
wicked overrated

1. Who has most impressed you so far?

Hamilton, by far
(Honorable mentions: the goalies, Krejci, Marchand)

Ference
(Dishonorable mentions: Chara, Kelly)

Powerplay
(Also worth noting: inconsistent scoring - seemingly only 1 line is productive at a time)

C+, maybe B- if I'm in a giving mood ... above average, but just barely

the overrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 02:59 PM
ReggieMoto

Send a message via Yahoo to ReggieMoto
Quote:

Hamilton (1) and Marchand (2)

Seguin. Underwhelming.

The continuing problems with the PP.

A-/B+

Their record is very good, but they continue to be so inconsistent with their play. But because of their record I go high as opposed to low.
See the comments above.

ReggieMoto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 03:00 PM
reidy
@reidjjackson

Send a message via AIM to reidy
Marchand, Dougie's a close second. Marchand has been this team's best player this season IMO.

Hate to say it but Chara has been pretty underwhelming. I'm probably one of his biggest fans around here but he hasn't impressed. Looks slow and indecisive, and not much snarl to his game right now.

Not really. Somewhat concerned about the offense but I have full confidence in PC to go out and get another top six forward, couple that with the inevitable progression from Seguin and Bergeron and they'll be okay.

I give them a B. Record speaks for itself, but they can (and will) be better.

reidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 03:04 PM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk

Dougie, Marchand, Rask

Chara, Kelly

Lack of a decent PP, place of a 3rd line winter

A- BUT these holes will become more apparent when they playoffs come.

Morris Wanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 03:06 PM
Rubber Biscuit

1. Dougie. He's been so solid so far. Very pleased.

2. Kelly. I expected much more from him. He's been solid on the PK, but that's it.

3. The PP would scare me, but it's been the same thing for years. So I'd say nothing.

4. B/B+

On the subject of Chara:

I don't think he's nursing and injury. Now this is just a thought, and some people might find it ridiculous, but I've been searching for an answer and this is all I could come up with:

He's a gentle giant. I think he's said before he doesn't like hurting people. A couple of years ago, he broke someone's (Callahan?) arm with a shot, and his play suffered. Almost like he was a little timid and didn't want to unload bombs for fear of hurting someone else.

Is it at all possible that he's afraid to hurt someone else after what happened with Miro Satan in Europe?

Rubber Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 03:06 PM
Roll 4 Lines
Pastafarian!

Quote:

Hamilton with honorable mention to Marchand

Prolly Kelly. Could say Chara, but he has impressed me occasionally by successfully using the wrister instead of the 7 second wind-mill wind-up.

Lack of physicality. PP is the sexy subject but they just are NOT finishing their checks.

C. The points are coming, but I've yet to feel like they're really playing well.

Roll 4 Lines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 03:08 PM
MTaylorJ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSCII View Post
1. Marchand. Really getting the most out of his abilities.

2. Chara. Looks old and slow and is getting caught out of position lots of shifts. Not the Chara of old. Hopefully it's just an undisclosed injury that he's nursing.

3. They can't score. Offensively challenged is being nice.

4. C. They've won a lot of games they had no business even being in. Hopefully they start rolling offensively and start rolling other teams. You can't expect your goalie to stand on his head every night and bail you out for the win come the shoot out.
They're 14th in goals per game, and 3rd in shots on goal. Offensively average is being accurate.

MTaylorJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 03:10 PM
unifiedtheory
Twitter: @ut_pez

Quote:

Good idea.

Quote:
It's a tie for me, 3 ways.

Dennis Seidenberg has been EASILY our best defenseman. He is so under appreciated. We don't win a Cup without him and we don't go anywhere this year if he is not on top of his game.

Doug Hamilton has been everything any of us could have expected and more. He's had far fewer "hiccups" than I thought he would.

Brad Marchand has been our best forward or our second best forward (David Krejci) every night this year. He is evolving into a potential All Star.

Quote:
Bourque, in my opinion, has not been the worst player on this team this year. Not even close.

Andrew Ference has been world CLASS ******. A total disaster area. when he is on the ice with the Krejci/Lucic/Horton or the Merlot line I hold my breath. It's a gong show. I love the guy, he brings so much to the table but he has been SO bad. I think Julien needs to healthy scratch him to wake him up.

Quote:
More than one.

Lack of goalscoring. Too some extent this is luck. We have hit a ton of posts. We are not getting dirty enough. Our powerplay sucks. We have faced elite goaltending. So many factors involved.

Quote:
I give them a C+.

I can explain that by saying I think they can play FAR better. We are going to get goals, too much talent not to. The powerplay will improve a little bit, it has to. We wil get more puck luck, it always balances out.

We are an elite team that when they get rolling is the best team in the East.

unifiedtheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 03:16 PM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTaylorJ1 View Post
They're 14th in goals per game, and 3rd in shots on goal. Offensively average is being accurate.
Yup. And 21st in total goals. That being said, last year they were 2nd in goals, and 3rd in gpg. So to try and dismiss them being off offensively speaking is kind of strange to me. More importantly, as this is supposed to be a contending team, is mediocrity like being 14th in gpg acceptable? Does them being in the bottom 3rd of all teams in terms of total goals sound like a positive for a cup contending team? It's a concern. You can dismiss it if you want, but it's still a concern.

Old
02-19-2013, 03:19 PM
Shaun
best poster alive

Krejci, Marchand, Dougie, Rask

Chara, Ference, Kelly

PP, mediocre offense

B-

Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 03:19 PM
MTaylorJ1

Quote:
Yup. And 21st in total goals. That being said, last year they were 2nd in goals, and 3rd in gpg. So to try and dismiss them being off offensively speaking is kind of strange to me. More importantly, as this is supposed to be a contending team, is mediocrity like being 14th in gpg acceptable? Does them being in the bottom 3rd of all teams in terms of total goals sound like a positive for a cup contending team? It's a concern. You can dismiss it if you want, but it's still a concern.
Yes, total goals is totally a fair number when they've played less games than the rest of the league.

Is it a concern, sure. I think it's more snakebite than anything else, they're generating chances, and I really think that LW3 needs something more. Sooo If you could explain where I dismissed it, that would be awesome.

But "offensively challenged is being nice" is just foolish hyperbole.

Old
02-19-2013, 03:23 PM
MTaylorJ1

Quote:

1. Marchand, Krejci, Rask, Dougie
2. Chara, Kelly, Ference
3. Would be nice to have a working power play. Our "depth" is also non-existant right now. We're a top 6 and a top 3/4 on D. Scary when the grind is coming.
4. B They've played well, but I expect better.

Old
02-19-2013, 03:27 PM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Yes, total goals is totally a fair number when they've played less games than the rest of the league.

Is it a concern, sure. I think it's more snakebite than anything else, they're generating chances, and I really think that LW3 needs something more.

But "offensively challenged is being nice" is just foolish hyperbole.
Again, you want to dismiss it and that's fine. I'm not naive enough to think that a team with an offense that struggles is a good thing, but hey, that's just me.

More importantly, I don't care how they stack up against the entire league. What matters is whether they're living up to their own expectations. Record wise they are, but scoring is down, goals differential is way down. To me, it's only a matter of time before things even out.

Old
02-19-2013, 03:29 PM
WBC8

1. Who has most impressed you so far ? Rask, Hamilton, Krejci, Marchand, Horton, Lucic

2. Other then Bourque(LOL) who has least impressed you ? Seguin, Kelly, Chara, Ference, McQuaid, Bergeron

3. Is there 1 glaring thing that scares you about the Bruins play so far ? Lack of physicallity. Their Buffalo efforts are pathetic at best on that end They did start getting some groove vs Jets. I knew the PP wouldn't be great and we would have trouble scoring, no shockers.

4. Using the A,B,C scale like in school, where do you feel the Bruins are playing at ? Their record gives them a B- , but as far as a whole, C-

WBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 03:33 PM
MTaylorJ1

Quote:
Again, you want to dismiss it and that's fine. I'm not naive enough to think that a team with an offense that struggles is a good thing, but hey, that's just me.

More importantly, I don't care how they stack up against the entire league. What matters is whether they're living up to their own expectations. Record wise they are, but scoring is down, goals differential is way down. To me, it's only a matter of time before things even out.
You're absolutely right. Things will even out.

2010 - 2011 2.98 GPG (5th), 32.9 SPG (3rd)
2011 - 2012 3.17 GPG (3rd), 32.4 SPG (3rd)
2012 - 2013 2.69 GPG (14th),32.2 SPG (3rd)

So my guess is shots will start to fall, and they'll be in the top 5 in the league in goals. Dismiss the cold hard numbers for hyperbole all you'd like though. It's what you do best.

Old
02-19-2013, 03:36 PM
WBC8

Quote:

They finished 5th in 11 and 3rd in 12 in goals per game. This year they are 14th, with everyone basically healthy... don't worry that awesome depth will kick in any minute now!

They are due for an 8 spot though...

Old
02-19-2013, 03:37 PM
dtam83

1. Marchand

2. Andy Ference

3. PP...again

4. B

and I want to add, I really wish we played more games up to this point. March & April is going to be brutal...

dtam83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 03:39 PM
MTaylorJ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
They finished 5th in 11 and 3rd in 12 in goals per game. This year they are 14th, with everyone basically healthy... don't worry that awesome depth will kick in any minute now!

They are due for an 8 spot though...
Shots have been exactly the same. So you're actually probably right on about the bolded, and with the way Tampa's played defense this year. . .

Old
02-19-2013, 03:40 PM
WBC8

Quote:
Shots have been exactly the same. So you're actually probably right on about the bolded, and with the way Tampa's played defense this year. . .
Florida too.... I expect 8-12 goals these next two games, and 4-5 vs the Isles... They will break out these next three, or we may have to be concerned..

Old
02-19-2013, 03:42 PM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
You're absolutely right. Things will even out.

2010 - 2011 2.98 GPG (5th), 32.9 SPG (3rd)
2011 - 2012 3.17 GPG (3rd), 32.4 SPG (3rd)
2012 - 2013 2.69 GPG (14th),32.2 SPG (3rd)

So my guess is shots will start to fall, and they'll be in the top 5 in the league in goals. Dismiss the cold hard numbers for hyperbole all you'd like though. It's what you do best.
If you say so. Ironic that you're accusing me of dismissing the cold hard numbers for hyperbole, when you glossed over the actual numbers for the team right now. While it doesn't mean they will stay in the middle of the pack for GPG and in the bottom third for total goals, it's not something to feel great about given that a quarter of the season has passed.

Here are some numbers that are really to blame for the lack of goals, IMO:

2011: 16.2%
2012: 17.2%
2013: 13.0%

Care to guess that that is? You got it, PP%. They have sucked at the PP for years, yet this season is bringing new definition to inept. You can call it hyperbole, and dismiss it if you want. What I see is a trend. We can certainly take this back up at the end of the year though, and see how it all plays out...

Old
02-19-2013, 03:45 PM
MTaylorJ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
Florida too.... I expect 8-12 goals these next two games, and 4-5 vs the Isles... They will break out these next three, or we may have to be concerned..
I mean, there are things I'm concerned about at a micro level for sure. The depth comment is spot on, they don't have it, at least not the way Kelly has played this year, and I don't even mean that from a compared to his career year last year comment, I mean more of a he's looked like garbage comment. Bourque isn't a fit for that line at all. Paille is actually the organization's best fit right now for that spot which is pretty damning for the 2007-2009 drafts. Hamilton is really our only skill defender, and I shudder to think of what happens if he starts round 1 shaky.

But at a macro level, they're outshooting their opponents by more than any other team in the league aside from the Blues. Generally that means good things in the long run.