HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics here) XXXII

Closed Thread

Old
02-19-2013, 12:14 PM
Avs
Bozak + 2nd

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aslanrh View Post
I think if the Avs get a good Dman back for ROR, even at the Kuli, Sekera, Gardiner level (meaning not sure fire top 2), drafting a forward this year would be wise. Duke and Kobe will be gone most likely, and I'd say Stazz being on the Avs by opening night 2015 is 50/50 at best. Losing ROR leaves a hole in our quality forward pool, and will need addressed.
I think EJ, (ROR), Barrie, Elliott, Wilson, Siemans, and even Hejda look promising as a group over the next couple years.
I think if the Avs can land a couple good FA signings (Smid, Bozak, a pk forward or two, come to mind), this team is in good shape to start the year 2013-2014.

And on a side note, this team has shown enough fight even with all the injuries that I think we'll end up drafting between 7-12 this year. To me, Tank for Jones/Mac seems more like a dream now than a possibility.
Sad, isn't it? They are playing like they actually want to make the playoffs. As much as it would be great to see them in the playoffs, I just can't imagine they would last very long, especially if we don't fix our defense (whether EJ is back or not).

It is nice though to see them put up as much fight as they have against teams like the Preds.

Old
02-19-2013, 12:18 PM
bohlmeister
$$ For Sale $$

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs View Post
Sad, isn't it? They are playing like they actually want to make the playoffs. As much as it would be great to see them in the playoffs, I just can't imagine they would last very long, especially if we don't fix our defense (whether EJ is back or not).

It is nice though to see them put up as much fight as they have against teams like the Preds.
I don't even know what you guys are talking about. Duchene is carrying this team on his back right now. If he gets injured we are in MASSIVE trouble.

Old
02-19-2013, 12:23 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigantor The Goalie View Post
With all this talk about Michael Del Zotto I'm going to have to watch Rangers games just to see what kind of player he is. Rather form my own opinion then agree with the Liles comparison or the no. 2 defender projection. If we can get someone like Miller or Kreider on top of MDZ then I can't say its a bad trade.
He's a perfectly capable puckmoving defender. Incredibly deft with the puck and as good a PP QB as you could ask for. Yeah, not great in the defensive zone, but it's not like he's Sandis Ozolinsh bad.

Is he a legit top-2? Hard to say since he's never really had to be that guy in New York with Staal, Girardi, and McDonagh doing a lot of the heavy lifting. I truly believe he's a legit top-4 guy, and really, I think he'd do fine alongside EJ if that's where the Avs chose to put him.

On a side note, it sucks so bad that Sauer is STILL suffering from PCS. With him and McIlrath in the lineup, the Rangers blueline would be one of the most talented and toughest in the league.

Old
02-19-2013, 12:28 PM
Avs
Bozak + 2nd

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohlmeister View Post
I don't even know what you guys are talking about. Duchene is carrying this team on his back right now. If he gets injured we are in MASSIVE trouble.
I agree with that. However, Varly is playing his *** off in net, and Stastny is setting up chances like no other, but no one can finish. Obviously chances don't mean anything if you can't score, but personally I like the effort I'm seeing for a team that should be getting stomped on night in and night out.

Old
02-19-2013, 12:30 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
He already is injured.

Old
02-19-2013, 12:49 PM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
Quote:
I agree with that. However, Varly is playing his *** off in net, and Stastny is setting up chances like no other, but no one can finish. Obviously chances don't mean anything if you can't score, but personally I like the effort I'm seeing for a team that should be getting stomped on night in and night out.
I want to see the Avs play Landeskog with Stastny, and go all in for Perry this summer. I'd love to see that line over a full season with a competent coach. I definitely think we'd be seeing the "re-emergence" of Stastny. I say that because I think Stastny is still making the plays...just no one there to consistently finish them.

Old
02-19-2013, 12:58 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundwaveIsCharisma View Post
I want to see the Avs play Landeskog with Stastny, and go all in for Perry this summer. I'd love to see that line over a full season with a competent coach. I definitely think we'd be seeing the "re-emergence" of Stastny. I say that because I think Stastny is still making the plays...just no one there to consistently finish them.
Landeskog plays with Stastny.
Stastny puts up a lot of points
Stastny asks for too much money. Peter Stastny vents to the media about external control management.
We have to trade Stastny

Deja vu. ****ing Landeskog.

Old
02-19-2013, 01:03 PM
Avs
Bozak + 2nd

Quote:
That would be absolutely beautiful. We can only hope that we have a new coach next year.

Old
02-19-2013, 01:05 PM
Avs
Bozak + 2nd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
Stastny asks for too much money. Peter Stastny vents to the media about external control management.
We have to trade Stastny

With how Stastny has performed on this current contract, I can't see him demanding more money than what he is making now, no matter how big of a year he has next year.

Old
02-19-2013, 01:52 PM
Razor29
52-22-8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post
He already is injured.
A charlie horse doesn't really count.

Old
02-19-2013, 01:57 PM
Avs
Bozak + 2nd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Sakic View Post
A charlie horse doesn't really count.
With our luck, I could see it now:

"Colorado Avalanche center Matt Duchene is out indefinitely...........with a charlie horse"

Old
02-19-2013, 01:58 PM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
Quote:
With our luck, I could see it now:

"Colorado Avalanche center Matt Duchene is out indefinitely...........with a charlie horse"
No, no, it would state that Matt Duchene has a concussion caused by a kick from a horse named Charlie.

Old
02-19-2013, 02:00 PM
Avs
Bozak + 2nd

Quote:
No, no, it would state that Matt Duchene has a concussion caused by a kick from a horse named Charlie.
hahahahahaha, brilliant!

Old
02-19-2013, 02:16 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by hek View Post
He'd have to if the Avs are going to take a Liles like defenseman in return for O'Reilly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
Touche. I don't see what people see in MDZ.
I don't think Liles is a very fair comparison, they're a little different. He's a little bigger and stronger than Liles so he doesn't have as big a problem containing NHL sized players. He also has a physical and a bit of a nasty element to his game that Liles never had.

He's also more of an outlet passer than a pure puck rusher like Liles, and seems to have a harder slapper, and a more accurate wrister.

He may not be a defensive stud, but he's more than just that soft one dimensional PMD like Liles.

Old
02-19-2013, 02:18 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
I don't think Liles is a very fair comparison, they're a little different. He's a little bigger and stronger than Liles so he doesn't have as big a problem containing NHL sized players. He also has a physical and a bit of a nasty element to his game that Liles never had.

He's also more of an outlet passer than a pure puck rusher like Liles, and seems to have a harder slapper, and a more accurate wrister.

He may not be a defensive stud, but he's more than just that soft one dimensional PMD like Liles.
I don't think Liles has ever been soft or one-dimensional.

Old
02-19-2013, 02:22 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
I don't think Liles has ever been soft or one-dimensional.
He's not the softest PMD in the league, but he gets muscled around, and has more trouble with bigger forwards than a guy like MDZ does.

I liked Liles, but apart from rushing the puck, and sneaking in the back door on the PP (which somehow he forgot to do near the end of his stint here) he doesn't bring a whole lot to the table.

Old
02-19-2013, 02:31 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
He's not the softest PMD in the league, but he gets muscled around, and has more trouble with bigger forwards than a guy like MDZ does.

I liked Liles, but apart from rushing the puck, and sneaking in the back door on the PP (which somehow he forgot to do near the end of his stint here) he doesn't bring a whole lot to the table.
Fair enough...I think injuries are starting to take their toll on his game, quite frankly. I won't be surprised if he's out of the league by the time he's past 35.

Old
02-19-2013, 02:41 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Fair enough...I think injuries are starting to take their toll on his game, quite frankly. I won't be surprised if he's out of the league by the time he's past 35.
Yea I think you're right. That and just a general confidence level needed to play his style, that has been affected by injuries and playing on weaker defensive teams with poor goaltending where his mistakes end up hurting the team more.

Old
02-19-2013, 03:06 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
He'd have to if the Avs are going to take a Liles like defenseman in return for O'Reilly.
Comparing Liles to MDZ is not a good comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avsare1 View Post
I disagree, I think if this is the deal that happens, it will be something like that.

MDZ + Miller for ROR + Obyrne + 3rd.

Its already been rumored to be MDZ + Prospect for ROR, Miller would be the type of guy the Avs would want.
It was also rumoured that Sather balked at the "+". I don't see him balking at the counter and then accepting it.

The minor difference in value from MDZ and ROR, isn't a prospect like Miller. Miller for O'byrne doesn't work for us either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
Well, let's be fair, MDZ is more than just a "Liles-like" player.

But I would certainly hope that Sherman would want more on top of it. I want Sherman to get the value he and his team have decided that O'Reilly is worth in a trade.
Some Ranger fans would like ROR+ for MDZ. Doesn't mean that's his actual value. Doesn't make them right either. We all want to see our teams get maximum value, but with all things considered, you have an unsigned player who's only had 1 50 pt season under his belt and is barely outproducing MDZ in his career.

Quote:
Rangers window is wide open for this and next year (Gaborik contract). Adding a player like O'Reilly would make Rangers much more equipped to go up against Pens and Boston. Don't for a second think this is lost on Sather. If that's enough to get him to make a deal is anyones guess and it depends on a lot of things, but O'Reilly is pretty much a perfect fit on the Rangers. They have a coach, GM and a fan base that loves skilled blue collar guys and that's what you get in O'Reilly. In a year, he'd be as popular as Callahan.
I would LOVE, LOVE, LOVE ROR, enough to move a guy like MDZ for.

Richards - Stepan - Boyle/Miller - Halpern

ROR would solidify the spine of this team. We have Staal and McDonagh who are ultimately superior to MDZ on the left side as well. Doesn't make him expedible, but for the right guy I wouldn't hesitate. Imo, ROR's that right guy. He reminds me a lot of Callahan, and I think the two players combined would wreck havoc against the big boys in the league. Ultimate two-way shutdown line that can produce offensively as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigantor The Goalie View Post
With all this talk about Michael Del Zotto I'm going to have to watch Rangers games just to see what kind of player he is. Rather form my own opinion then agree with the Liles comparison or the no. 2 defender projection. If we can get someone like Miller or Kreider on top of MDZ then I can't say its a bad trade.
You might like MDZ enough to say to yourself, this isn't a bad trade straight up. Hope you watch more than 1 game though.

Quote:
They play Montreal tonight. I know I'll be watching.
Rooting for NYR? I hope so

Quote:
He's a perfectly capable puckmoving defender. Incredibly deft with the puck and as good a PP QB as you could ask for. Yeah, not great in the defensive zone, but it's not like he's Sandis Ozolinsh bad.

Is he a legit top-2? Hard to say since he's never really had to be that guy in New York with Staal, Girardi, and McDonagh doing a lot of the heavy lifting. I truly believe he's a legit top-4 guy, and really, I think he'd do fine alongside EJ if that's where the Avs chose to put him.

On a side note, it sucks so bad that Sauer is STILL suffering from PCS. With him and McIlrath in the lineup, the Rangers blueline would be one of the most talented and toughest in the league.
A lot of people credited Sauer to McDonagh's success his rookie year. Sauer is a terrific player to have on your blue-line. Smart, physical, and defensively sound. He plays mistake free hockey. Hope he can make a comeback, but doesn't look good. He's still having PCS.

MDZ is not a #2 right now in his career. He's a second-pairing dmen though. He's made giant strides defensively. Terrific outlet pass, and an ideal PP QB. He's starting to shoot more which is what we've crying for. Decent shot, nothing crazy.

He's not a nightmare defensively. Not even close. Anyone who's watched MDZ would say he gets the job done on the back-end. What's promising is the edge he plays with. You don't see a lot of Physical, Gritty PMD in this league. You have that with MDZ. He plays with a chip on his shoulder.

Quote:

This sounds like a Rangers fan giving his analysis on MDZ. It's scary how accurate of an assessment this is. Closet Ranger fan, Foppa?

Old
02-19-2013, 03:10 PM
Huis Clos*
Creamy Hamstrings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
Comparing Liles to MDZ is not a good comparison.
Sorry. Liles with size.

Old
02-19-2013, 03:15 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:

This sounds like a Rangers fan giving his analysis on MDZ. It's scary how accurate of an assessment this is. Closet Ranger fan, Foppa?
Haha, no I've just tried to study him as much as I can. They probably will be my team in the East now though, I just moved to Brooklyn. I'm secretly hoping they pick up O'Reilly so it can be a win win.

Old
02-19-2013, 03:16 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

vCash: 7658
Quote:
We have to trade Stastny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118

Are we prepared to trade RoR for MDZ? I am not. This trade needs to POTENTIALLY at least be a home run. I am expecting a bit of a lesser roster player with a prospect that can be dynamite.

Old
02-19-2013, 03:22 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Sorry. Liles with size.
Size doesn't mean anything unless you use it. MDZ uses his frame very well. He's also more willing to block shots. He's grittier in every aspect of the game.

Suggesting he's Liles with size just proves you're have a discussion about a topic you're admittingly oblivious to.

Quote:
Haha, no I've just tried to study him as much as I can. They probably will be my team in the East now though, I just moved to Brooklyn. I'm secretly hoping they pick up O'Reilly so it can be a win win.
Brooklyn? Enjoy the lager!

Where abouts in Brooklyn if you don't mind me asking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post

Are we prepared to trade RoR for MDZ? I am not. This trade needs to POTENTIALLY at least be a home run. I am expecting a bit of a lesser roster player with a prospect that can be dynamite.
Let me introduce you to Matt Gilroy then

Old
02-19-2013, 03:22 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post

It's not my number one choice. As you probably know, that's Yandle for me, given he's had a higher offensive output in his career.

At a certain point, we'll probably have to settle for the next best option though. MDZ brings a big offensive and PP element to the Avs that they are sorely missing, and is still young and growing his overall game. I'm concerned over what the end result will be in the prospect we pick up if we go the route you suggest. Realistically, how much better than MDZ is it going to end up being? I think they're first and second best options have to be for at least a somewhat proven NHL player, preferably an offensive defenseman, as the center piece.

It will be tough to hit a home run with an O'Reilly trade, and bring in a player that will have as much impact for the Avs that O'Reilly would have.

Old
02-19-2013, 03:27 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:

Brooklyn? Enjoy the lager!

Where abouts in Brooklyn if you don't mind me asking?
Crown Heights for now, but I'm month to month at my place trying to save money, and change careers a bit.

Closed Thread