HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

2014 - U.S. Roster Discussion

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-19-2013, 03:54 AM
  #851
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Leaving/Goodbye All
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Leaving HF
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,802
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulieVegas View Post
Just watched some videos from the 1996 World Cup of Hockey and got wood.
And to think your friends wondered why your wife bought you a copy of that series for Valentines Day.



Viagara better watch out!!!!

OttawaRoughRiderFan is offline  
Old
02-19-2013, 12:32 PM
  #852
magic school bus
***********
 
magic school bus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: San Jose, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 18,814
vCash: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
Galchenyuk with another assist tonight by the way.

That's 9 points in 15 games so far. Roughly a 50 point pace over 82 games. Just saying.
It's looking like he won't be available for the World Championships with Montreal playing so well.

magic school bus is offline  
Old
02-19-2013, 02:04 PM
  #853
Xokkeu
Registered User
 
Xokkeu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Frozen
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 5,057
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by magic school bus View Post
It's looking like he won't be available for the World Championships with Montreal playing so well.
He's 6th in scoring on the 2nd place team in the east.

Xokkeu is offline  
Old
02-19-2013, 02:25 PM
  #854
AmericanDream
Puck You
 
AmericanDream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: I Return to Serenity
Country: United States
Posts: 11,854
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
I like Peters team but I'd make one change in the forward group. I still like Jason Pominville over James van Riemsdyk and bump Pacioretty down a line.

Parise-Kesler-Kane
Pominville-Pavelski-Kessel
Pacioretty-Backes-Ryan
Oshie-Stastny- Brown
Callahan

I'm not huge on Stastny, but right now I don't see another center knocking him off the team.

Pominville and Kane essentially take the center's creative duties, but on the wings. Kesler and Pavelski are both skilled, can score and provide excellent defensive presence. The 3rd line provides a large physical yet skilled counter weight to any team. The top 3 lines can all score and are all defensively very solid.




The other guys I'd swap with Peters team is Faulk for Shattenkirk and Yandle for Byfuglien. I personally just have never been a huge fan of Byfuglien's game for whatever reason. I think Yandle is a perfect 7th defenseman to add an outstanding offensive game. I've also never been high on Shattenkirk's game as well, but I'm in a major man crush with Faulk.

Suter-Johnson
McDonaugh-E. Johnson
Orpik-Faulk
Yandle


The goalies look fine except I see

Quick
Miller
Schneider
as I said a bit above, I think Colin Wilson is making a solid case for his name to be in the mix for a center position...he is playing very well right now and brings that size we lack down the middle. not the sexiest name to throw out there, but the kid is improving all the time and could be that guy to replace a Stastny next year.

I also really dont see how Erik Johnson makes this team right now. Its not the lack of points he is putting up that worries me, it just seems that he really isnt that complete overall stud that we hoped for years back. He is certainly in the mix, but I think he is going to have a hard time making this team next year if guys like Bogosian, Shattenkirk, Fowler, Byfuglien, Carlson, etc all continue to step up and play well..

AmericanDream is offline  
Old
02-19-2013, 03:08 PM
  #855
Xokkeu
Registered User
 
Xokkeu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Frozen
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 5,057
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
as I said a bit above, I think Colin Wilson is making a solid case for his name to be in the mix for a center position...he is playing very well right now and brings that size we lack down the middle. not the sexiest name to throw out there, but the kid is improving all the time and could be that guy to replace a Stastny next year.

I also really dont see how Erik Johnson makes this team right now. Its not the lack of points he is putting up that worries me, it just seems that he really isnt that complete overall stud that we hoped for years back. He is certainly in the mix, but I think he is going to have a hard time making this team next year if guys like Bogosian, Shattenkirk, Fowler, Byfuglien, Carlson, etc all continue to step up and play well..
If Wilson continues his 60 point pace between now and February he will knock Stastny off the team no question. But he has to do it longer than 16 games.

Johnson is kind of underrated. People seem to want him to be Chris Pronger due to draft position and pre draft assessments. However I watch Colorado and he is basically the only competent defender on the team. People say that Bogosian is playing better than the numbers indicate, and I sort of take their word for it since I rarely see Winnipeg games. It's a similar situation with Johnson. The game against Nashville was so painful to watch as the Avalanche just had 6 turnstiles on D.

Xokkeu is offline  
Old
02-20-2013, 04:23 PM
  #856
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go
 
Cory Trevor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Brockton
Country: United States
Posts: 7,650
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
If Wilson continues his 60 point pace between now and February he will knock Stastny off the team no question. But he has to do it longer than 16 games.

Johnson is kind of underrated. People seem to want him to be Chris Pronger due to draft position and pre draft assessments. However I watch Colorado and he is basically the only competent defender on the team. People say that Bogosian is playing better than the numbers indicate, and I sort of take their word for it since I rarely see Winnipeg games. It's a similar situation with Johnson. The game against Nashville was so painful to watch as the Avalanche just had 6 turnstiles on D.
Your assessment is spot on IMO. People like to knock EJ way too much because he was picked number one overall.

Cory Trevor is offline  
Old
02-21-2013, 05:52 PM
  #857
OrioleWay
Jailbait
 
OrioleWay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Aruba
Posts: 8,188
vCash: 500
Suter- Faulk
Fowler- Shattenkirk
McDonagh- EJohnson
Carlson- Yandle

Parise- Kesler- Kane
Pacioretty- Pavelski- Kessel
Ryan- Stepan- Pominville
Brown- Backes- Callahan

OrioleWay is offline  
Old
02-21-2013, 06:11 PM
  #858
Xokkeu
Registered User
 
Xokkeu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Frozen
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 5,057
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by imayagainknowanson View Post
Suter- Faulk
Fowler- Shattenkirk
McDonagh- EJohnson
Carlson- Yandle

Parise- Kesler- Kane
Pacioretty- Pavelski- Kessel
Ryan- Stepan- Pominville
Brown- Backes- Callahan
I don't think partnering Fowler and Shattenkirk would be a good idea.

Xokkeu is offline  
Old
02-21-2013, 11:14 PM
  #859
FLYguy3911
Registered User
 
FLYguy3911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 15,203
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by imayagainknowanson View Post
Suter- Faulk
Fowler- Shattenkirk
McDonagh- EJohnson
Carlson- Yandle

Parise- Kesler- Kane
Pacioretty- Pavelski- Kessel
Ryan- Stepan- Pominville
Brown- Backes- Callahan
I gotta think JJ's on this team.

The center depth scares me a bit. I like the talent on the backend. Mobile puckmovers should be an asset on the bigger ice surface.

FLYguy3911 is offline  
Old
02-21-2013, 11:17 PM
  #860
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go
 
Cory Trevor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Brockton
Country: United States
Posts: 7,650
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by imayagainknowanson View Post
Suter- Faulk
Fowler- Shattenkirk
McDonagh- EJohnson
Carlson- Yandle

Parise- Kesler- Kane
Pacioretty- Pavelski- Kessel
Ryan- Stepan- Pominville
Brown- Backes- Callahan
Like it except needs more JJ. Fowler and Shattdeuces22 isn't a good pairing though. Swap one of those two out for JJ and that's a solid third pairing. Not enough Suter either.

Cory Trevor is offline  
Old
02-21-2013, 11:37 PM
  #861
Xokkeu
Registered User
 
Xokkeu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Frozen
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 5,057
vCash: 500
So yeah, JVR and Kessel are on the team and need to be on the same line.


Greg Wyshynski ‏@wyshynski
JVR has 11 goals on the season; Kessel's been on the ice for eight of them.

Xokkeu is offline  
Old
02-22-2013, 01:38 AM
  #862
magic school bus
***********
 
magic school bus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: San Jose, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 18,814
vCash: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by imayagainknowanson View Post
Suter- Faulk
Fowler- Shattenkirk
McDonagh- EJohnson
Carlson- Yandle

Parise- Kesler- Kane
Pacioretty- Pavelski- Kessel
Ryan- Stepan- Pominville
Brown- Backes- Callahan
You didn't pick Jack Johnson, which is blasphemous. Stastny's been trending down but he's still better than Stepan at this point. The rest looks fine to me.

magic school bus is offline  
Old
02-22-2013, 04:13 AM
  #863
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go
 
Cory Trevor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Brockton
Country: United States
Posts: 7,650
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
So yeah, JVR and Kessel are on the team and need to be on the same line.


Greg Wyshynski ‏@wyshynski
JVR has 11 goals on the season; Kessel's been on the ice for eight of them.
Could definitely see this. Who do you think plays Center, Stastny or Pavelski?

Cory Trevor is offline  
Old
02-22-2013, 10:42 AM
  #864
Xokkeu
Registered User
 
Xokkeu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Frozen
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 5,057
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Trevor View Post
Could definitely see this. Who do you think plays Center, Stastny or Pavelski?
I would probably use Pavelski. Kessel is distributing the puck well in Toronto, he made several amazing passes last night. Pavelski gives a defensive solidity to the line and is not chopped liver himself offensively. Van Riemsdyk is looking like a replacement for Ryan Malone as a guy in front of the net.

Xokkeu is offline  
Old
02-22-2013, 12:25 PM
  #865
PaulieVegas
Registered User
 
PaulieVegas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Country: United States
Posts: 704
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by magic school bus View Post
You didn't pick Jack Johnson, which is blasphemous. Stastny's been trending down but he's still better than Stepan at this point. The rest looks fine to me.
100% right about JJ. I must be missing something, why is EJ being included on so many rosters, and oftentimes over JJ? It's possible neither Johnson should be on the Sochi roster as I'm not convinced either is in our top-7. But, if you had to pick one of the Johnson's, wouldn't you say Jack is more deserving than Erik? At this point in their NHL careers I think Jack is the better player, although it's close. But all things being equal from a skill standpoint, Jack always answers the call for Team USA at the Worlds, whereas Erik does not. Jack could be tired, hurt, and badly needing a break, but he still answers the call for the Worlds every time. Meanwhile, Erik declined the past two seasons and if memory serves, once was so he could get non-emergency dental surgery, which is IMO a pretty lame excuse. Not on par with Umberger and his college degree, but lame nonetheless.

I think too many are enamoured by the fact EJ is a former #1 overall pick and are letting that cloud their judgment. And I'm not saying EJ isn't a good player, because he is. But, I can't see why people continue think he's in our top-7, and certainly can't see why people think he should be chosen ahead of JJ.

PaulieVegas is offline  
Old
02-22-2013, 02:58 PM
  #866
Xokkeu
Registered User
 
Xokkeu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Frozen
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 5,057
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulieVegas View Post
100% right about JJ. I must be missing something, why is EJ being included on so many rosters, and oftentimes over JJ? It's possible neither Johnson should be on the Sochi roster as I'm not convinced either is in our top-7. But, if you had to pick one of the Johnson's, wouldn't you say Jack is more deserving than Erik? At this point in their NHL careers I think Jack is the better player, although it's close. But all things being equal from a skill standpoint, Jack always answers the call for Team USA at the Worlds, whereas Erik does not. Jack could be tired, hurt, and badly needing a break, but he still answers the call for the Worlds every time. Meanwhile, Erik declined the past two seasons and if memory serves, once was so he could get non-emergency dental surgery, which is IMO a pretty lame excuse. Not on par with Umberger and his college degree, but lame nonetheless.

I think too many are enamoured by the fact EJ is a former #1 overall pick and are letting that cloud their judgment. And I'm not saying EJ isn't a good player, because he is. But, I can't see why people continue think he's in our top-7, and certainly can't see why people think he should be chosen ahead of JJ.
They are different types of player.

Xokkeu is offline  
Old
02-22-2013, 05:12 PM
  #867
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go
 
Cory Trevor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Brockton
Country: United States
Posts: 7,650
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulieVegas View Post
I think too many are enamoured by the fact EJ is a former #1 overall pick and are letting that cloud their judgment. And I'm not saying EJ isn't a good player, because he is. But, I can't see why people continue think he's in our top-7, and certainly can't see why people think he should be chosen ahead of JJ.
Erik Johnson is severely underrated. The hype with the first pick and all that jazz and nonsense. He's a very solid player and his skillset isn't in line with JJ. JJ will be on the team regardless because he is the heart of American hockey and a solid leader and blueliner to boot. Our D corps is stacked but Erik Johnson, though I really do enjoy JJ's style of play, is much more dynamic and coupled with the fact that he's a hell of a skater will probably make him part of this team.

Cory Trevor is offline  
Old
02-22-2013, 05:57 PM
  #868
PaulieVegas
Registered User
 
PaulieVegas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Country: United States
Posts: 704
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Trevor View Post
Erik Johnson is severely underrated. The hype with the first pick and all that jazz and nonsense.
You must be an Avs fan if you believe the first pick stuff is "nonsense." Are you wearing a Joe Sakic jersey now? It is "casual Friday" after all.

I am not saying EJ isn't a good player. He is a very good player. But honestly, is he one of our best 7? I don't think so, and I'm not full of "nonsense" for thinking that. He is a former #1 overall pick that finished 16th (that's right...SIXTEENTH) in scoring among American defensemen last season and who has only represented his country once in the World Championships (2007) despite having multiple opportunities to do so. With that resume, if he wasn't a former #1 overall pick his name wouldn't be on anyone's lips right now when discussing this roster.

I hope EJ eventually becomes the elite defenseman we all thought he would be. I really do, it would be great for USA Hockey to see that. But right now he's a good but not great player at a position where we have had so many players develop since Vancouver 2010. "Severely underrated" are not the words I would use to describe him. More like "hasn't lived up to his potential and is not one of our top-7, although we still all hold out hope he will be considered alongside Leetch and Chelios when he retires."

PaulieVegas is offline  
Old
02-22-2013, 06:10 PM
  #869
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go
 
Cory Trevor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Brockton
Country: United States
Posts: 7,650
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulieVegas View Post
You must be an Avs fan if you believe the first pick stuff is "nonsense." Are you wearing a Joe Sakic jersey now? It is "casual Friday" after all.

I am not saying EJ isn't a good player. He is a very good player. But honestly, is he one of our best 7? I don't think so, and I'm not full of "nonsense" for thinking that. He is a former #1 overall pick that finished 16th (that's right...SIXTEENTH) in scoring among American defensemen last season and who has only represented his country once in the World Championships (2007) despite having multiple opportunities to do so. With that resume, if he wasn't a former #1 overall pick his name wouldn't be on anyone's lips right now when discussing this roster.

I hope EJ eventually becomes the elite defenseman we all thought he would be. I really do, it would be great for USA Hockey to see that. But right now he's a good but not great player at a position where we have had so many players develop since Vancouver 2010. "Severely underrated" are not the words I would use to describe him. More like "hasn't lived up to his potential and is not one of our top-7, although we still all hold out hope he will be considered alongside Leetch and Chelios when he retires."

I wasn't insinuating that you were full of nonsense. I was saying that the whole first overall pick makes people think that if he's something short of paul coffey he's a complete bust which is unfortunate. I don't think you think that.


Also I am not an Avs fan. I think he was playing well and developing quite nicely prior to injury. It really comes down to the camp and whether or not USA hockey will think he's a suitable fit. Even if he's out of the top six, if rosters jump to 25 i think there's a good chance he can be in the press box.

Cory Trevor is offline  
Old
02-22-2013, 09:34 PM
  #870
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one
 
Rabid Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Murica
Country: United States
Posts: 21,088
vCash: 500
Wilson might be an interesting fit with JVR and Kessel. JVR used to line up with Wilson.

Rabid Ranger is offline  
Old
02-23-2013, 12:13 AM
  #871
Xokkeu
Registered User
 
Xokkeu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Frozen
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 5,057
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulieVegas View Post
You must be an Avs fan if you believe the first pick stuff is "nonsense." Are you wearing a Joe Sakic jersey now? It is "casual Friday" after all.

I am not saying EJ isn't a good player. He is a very good player. But honestly, is he one of our best 7? I don't think so, and I'm not full of "nonsense" for thinking that. He is a former #1 overall pick that finished 16th (that's right...SIXTEENTH) in scoring among American defensemen last season and who has only represented his country once in the World Championships (2007) despite having multiple opportunities to do so. With that resume, if he wasn't a former #1 overall pick his name wouldn't be on anyone's lips right now when discussing this roster.

I hope EJ eventually becomes the elite defenseman we all thought he would be. I really do, it would be great for USA Hockey to see that. But right now he's a good but not great player at a position where we have had so many players develop since Vancouver 2010. "Severely underrated" are not the words I would use to describe him. More like "hasn't lived up to his potential and is not one of our top-7, although we still all hold out hope he will be considered alongside Leetch and Chelios when he retires."

Erik Johnson doesn't have to be one of the great defenseman we have ever produced (and it's kind of doubtful he ever will be anywhere close to that) to be on the team.

Xokkeu is offline  
Old
02-23-2013, 12:25 AM
  #872
Bullwine85
Registered User
 
Bullwine85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Neenah, WI
Country: United States
Posts: 482
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
So yeah, JVR and Kessel are on the team and need to be on the same line.


Greg Wyshynski ‏@wyshynski
JVR has 11 goals on the season; Kessel's been on the ice for eight of them.

I would probably use Pavelski. Kessel is distributing the puck well in Toronto, he made several amazing passes last night. Pavelski gives a defensive solidity to the line and is not chopped liver himself offensively. Van Riemsdyk is looking like a replacement for Ryan Malone as a guy in front of the net.
Two players from the state of Wisconsin along with one of my most liked American players? Yes please.

Bullwine85 is offline  
Old
02-23-2013, 05:36 AM
  #873
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go
 
Cory Trevor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Brockton
Country: United States
Posts: 7,650
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
I would probably use Pavelski. Kessel is distributing the puck well in Toronto, he made several amazing passes last night. Pavelski gives a defensive solidity to the line and is not chopped liver himself offensively. Van Riemsdyk is looking like a replacement for Ryan Malone as a guy in front of the net.
If it really does go JVR Pavs Kessel that's a third line with alot of get up and go. Effective offensively with a responsible center. Three 30 goal (assuming JVR reaches that prorated) NHL scorers on the same line could be the forgotten thing going into this Olympics for the US. Our forward core is just going to be structured so well IMO. The top six are exactly what you look for from a top six with a third line full of skill and goal scoring and fourth line that can shut down and block shots.

Started doing PP and PK units just cause I'm bored at work. The difficult thing is trying to decide the fourth forward. Amazing that I'm saying this but all jokes aside,

a Kane-Kesler-Kessel line would be unreal IMO.

Cory Trevor is offline  
Old
02-23-2013, 10:27 AM
  #874
flyers28giroux
Registered User
 
flyers28giroux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 212
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Trevor View Post
Could definitely see this. Who do you think plays Center, Stastny or Pavelski?
I think Pavelski would be a better fit on a possible JVR/Kessel line, whereas Stastny would be a better fit on a Pacioretty/Ryan line given the chemistry they had at last year's World Championships.

flyers28giroux is offline  
Old
02-23-2013, 03:53 PM
  #875
Xokkeu
Registered User
 
Xokkeu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Frozen
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 5,057
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Trevor View Post
If it really does go JVR Pavs Kessel that's a third line with alot of get up and go. Effective offensively with a responsible center. Three 30 goal (assuming JVR reaches that prorated) NHL scorers on the same line could be the forgotten thing going into this Olympics for the US. Our forward core is just going to be structured so well IMO. The top six are exactly what you look for from a top six with a third line full of skill and goal scoring and fourth line that can shut down and block shots.

Started doing PP and PK units just cause I'm bored at work. The difficult thing is trying to decide the fourth forward. Amazing that I'm saying this but all jokes aside,

a Kane-Kesler-Kessel line would be unreal IMO.
I like the Kane- Kesler - Parise line because it lets Kane have the puck and the other guys are fine with that. Kessel likes to have the puck and he likes to distribute. I don't think having him and Kane in the same line is a good idea just like I didn't like him and Stastny last time.

Xokkeu is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:45 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.