HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Habs have offered Sykora a two year deal

Old
07-12-2006, 04:04 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

vCash: 500
Awards:
The post from Code makes it sound like Sykora is desperately trying to land a contract in any city but Montreal.

hototogisu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 04:06 PM
fufonzo

Send a message via ICQ to fufonzo Send a message via MSN to fufonzo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman2 View Post
Salary cap space is an asset these days too. I suppose if managing a real NHL team was like a computer game it could work like that, but in real world its too risky. What if you get stuck with the players you wanted to trade? I'm sure guys like Zednik and Bonk had gone long time ago if there were willing takers for them.
We have a lot of cap space for the moment. if we sign Sykora to a on or two-year deal, we shouldn't really be affected by the cap.
Sykora won't likely make $4 million, I'm predicting around $3m.

fufonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 04:06 PM
JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTimer View Post
Its been beaten to death for months. Either go on the Trade Rumour board and post a thread about Zednik's worth or cycle through the 250 threads on the exact same matter. Zednik could probably get us a 4th rounder. Maybe a 3rd if some team was desperate or if we're willing to throw in a late pick or a conditional one.
Zednik is probably worth a late, late 2nd rounder, at best. The guy is well-known to be one-dimensional. He's among the easisest forwards to defend against. He can be counted on to turn over the puck. He's a line-killer.

JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 04:09 PM
Marksman

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunjeebakala View Post
how many 30 goal scorers are left in the ufa market that aren't over the age of 35?
On top of my head, five. Allison Bure Dvorak Carter and Sykora plus Samsonov has come pretty close twice. Thing is there are plenty of players like Zednik around.

Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 04:13 PM
Artie

Personally I don't see Sykora as a big upgrade on Zednik. Couple that with the possibility of having to pay him more to get him to sign with Montreal and the deal makes no sense to me.

Sykora may be a good complimentary player on some team, but he will not bring what Montreal is lacking.

Artie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 04:23 PM
grifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JV View Post
Zednik is probably worth a late, late 2nd rounder, at best. The guy is well-known to be one-dimensional. He's among the easisest forwards to defend against. He can be counted on to turn over the puck. He's a line-killer.
He also, like the RDS crew pointed out, lost his creative playmaking ability when he got concussed against the bruins a few years back. Never cuts to the center of the ice, and stays along the boards doing nothing but lose the puck. The man lacks confidence and it shows in every aspect of his game. That being said, who knows what happens this year with his contract coming up...

I have to say, I wouldn't mind Sykora. But as long as its (relatively) cheap and a short-term deal. If he doesn't want to play here, then let him go. Tired of hearing about players who snub us or use us for more money.

grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 04:28 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artie View Post
Personally I don't see Sykora as a big upgrade on Zednik. Couple that with the possibility of having to pay him more to get him to sign with Montreal and the deal makes no sense to me.

Sykora may be a good complimentary player on some team, but he will not bring what Montreal is lacking.

Well my opinion is that its a lateral movement that gives you the opportunity to trade zednik in a package without having to worry about replacing him in the lineup.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 04:31 PM
mikeg

I think it's about time we had an official "Sykora is coming to Montreal" thread

mikeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 04:32 PM
AH

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
Well my opinion is that its a lateral movement that gives you the opportunity to trade zednik in a package without having to worry about replacing him in the lineup.
ding ding ding ... I dont know why people can't see this as an asset management move. He is not ideal as far as I am concerned, but expecting Zhogin or Kosty to put up 25 goals next season is suicidal. If they show they can do it, you can always trade Sykora when time comes.

AH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 04:34 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Cap Question

If a player is injured does his salary count towards the cap eg Keith Primeau?
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=171126&hubname=nhl

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 04:38 PM
Marksman

Quote:
Originally Posted by AH View Post
ding ding ding ... I dont know why people can't see this as an asset management move. He is not ideal as far as I am concerned, but expecting Zhogin or Kosty to put up 25 goals next season is suicidal. If they show they can do it, you can always trade Sykora when time comes.
Zednik is not that hard to replace ... he was almost non-factor for us offensively, with his 16 goals.

Kostitsyn, Perezhogin and Plekanec each scoring 12 goals, there you go.

Last edited by Marksman: 07-12-2006 at 04:45 PM.
Old
07-12-2006, 04:40 PM
Astaroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifter View Post
He also, like the RDS crew pointed out, lost his creative playmaking ability when he got concussed against the bruins a few years back. Never cuts to the center of the ice, and stays along the boards doing nothing but lose the puck. The man lacks confidence and it shows in every aspect of his game. That being said, who knows what happens this year with his contract coming up...

I have to say, I wouldn't mind Sykora. But as long as its (relatively) cheap and a short-term deal. If he doesn't want to play here, then let him go. Tired of hearing about players who snub us or use us for more money.
I wouldn't trust the garbage that Pedneault spews against Zednik. He does cut to the center of the ice and does drive to the net. That's how he got both career years after that injury. The reason why he had such an off year is due to injuries (groin and knee), no training camp and the constant line-switching (due to his own fault though). I predict he'll come back and put up his usual 25-50.

Sykora like I said a couple of weeks ago was the last option we should look at. He's been having two straight off-years and I haven't been following him closely so I don't know what's been the problem. But I do remember when he was on his game; he was very good. Question is, if the rangers didn't want him?

Astaroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 04:45 PM
grifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astaroth View Post
I wouldn't trust the garbage that Pedneault spews against Zednik. He does cut to the center of the ice and does drive to the net. That's how he got both career years after that injury. The reason why he had such an off year is due to injuries (groin and knee), no training camp and the constant line-switching (due to his own fault though). I predict he'll come back and put up his usual 25-50.
Oh, not saying that its always true, but I noticed it prominently during the last year. He may have been injured, but I still don't see him using creativity to move the puck or to drive to the net. Not expecting him to be super good, but I also didn't expect him to lose the puck so easily.

grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 04:47 PM
Astaroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifter View Post
Oh, not saying that its always true, but I noticed it prominently during the last year. He may have been injured, but I still don't see him using creativity to move the puck or to drive to the net. Not expecting him to be super good, but I also didn't expect him to lose the puck so easily.
Yeah but when your groin is pulled and your knee is banged up, you're going to be slow and tentative; exactly what he was during the whole season. He still got 16 goals.

Astaroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 04:47 PM
Artie

Quote:
I'm really (and I mean REALLY) hoping that Gainey addresses our 2nd line center deficiency before anything else.

I would be more involved with talking to teams about these guys than wasting my time with Sykora right now.

Legwand
Langkow
Morrison
Lombardi
Malone

Old
07-12-2006, 04:50 PM
Prospector

Quote:
I would really like sign Sykora and trade Zednik for a good pick or decent prospect.
Same here!

Prospector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 04:55 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artie View Post
I'm really (and I mean REALLY) hoping that Gainey addresses our 2nd line center deficiency before anything else.

I would be more involved with talking to teams about these guys than wasting my time with Sykora right now.

Legwand
Langkow
Morrison
Lombardi
Malone
Well....if you read the thread about the Legwand rumour.....speculation was that Souray and zednik might be involved....dont you see the possible link? Getting Sykora gives you the opportunity to make a trade for the center your looking for without really losing anything up front.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 05:06 PM
Marksman

Quote:
Originally Posted by fufonzo View Post
We have a lot of cap space for the moment. if we sign Sykora to a on or two-year deal, we shouldn't really be affected by the cap.
Sykora won't likely make $4 million, I'm predicting around $3m.
After signing Aebischer we're sitting at $37M, with Ryder Danis and Perezhogin unsigned. Technically we could have Sykora if he agreed for that much ... but that leaves Canadiens with almost no cap room for adding salary if we need a late season trade.

Old
07-12-2006, 05:23 PM
BobbyFischer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stlaurentman View Post
I don't think it's a panic move. He's a skilled guy, who is a 20-30 goal scorer (which we need) and he drives the net. He can play with Either Kovy/Ribs or Koivu/Higgins, giving these guys another "weapon" (using the term loosely since he hasn't been one since 2000/2001), but gives the guys on the team another offensive player to help out.

Well thats not true.. he did score 34 goals in 2002/2003 and is only 29yrs old..

BobbyFischer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 05:26 PM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx81 View Post
Sykora is the type of player we don't need and he's also the kind of player who prefers to stay in the States. I doubt the guy wants to play in Canada.
He told you that he prefers to play in the States?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTimer View Post
Panic move.
I doubt that Gainey ever panics.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 05:28 PM
Artie

Quote:
Well....if you read the thread about the Legwand rumour.....speculation was that Souray and zednik might be involved....dont you see the possible link? Getting Sykora gives you the opportunity to make a trade for the center your looking for without really losing anything up front.
right now rumors have Zednick going evrywhere.

Det for Lang
Nash for Legwand
Vanc for Morrison

IMHO if BG addresses the 2nd line center I would not waste my time with Sykora. But that's just me.

Old
07-12-2006, 05:29 PM
Pascal

I'd take Sykora over Zednik, it's a small upgrade.

And whoever said it opens up the way for a Legwand trade is right.. it could be Legwand or someone else, but it opens up possibilities with no losses.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 05:36 PM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABS-65 View Post
Sykora will not fit in MTL why !? because he is soft as Ribeiro ... he is gonna be bash during 2 years ...
Then sign Sykora and trade Ribeiro to someone who wants him.

Sykora scored 29 goals and 72 points as a 22 year old and has averaged almost 25 goals per season (assuming approximately 75 games). Ribeiro scored 5 goals in 51 games as a 22 year old and has averaged about 14 goals per year year.

These guys aren't in the same category.

Old
07-12-2006, 05:38 PM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman2 View Post
After signing Aebischer we're sitting at $37M, with Ryder Danis and Perezhogin unsigned. Technically we could have Sykora if he agreed for that much ... but that leaves Canadiens with almost no cap room for adding salary if we need a late season trade.
I doubt that Sykora would be an addition to the existing roster. He would more than likely be a replacement for an existing veteran (Zednik, Ribeiro etc.)

Old
07-12-2006, 05:55 PM
Marksman

Quote:
Originally Posted by briste View Post
I doubt that Sykora would be an addition to the existing roster. He would more than likely be a replacement for an existing veteran (Zednik, Ribeiro etc.)
Why would other teams trade for Zednik or Ribeiro, if Sykora was available for about one million more per season at 3M (wishful thinking from this very thread)?(Saving their pick/prospect too.)

Ribeiro/Zednik could propably fetch us something - but IMO the bottom line is while most serious teams have cap issues (wanting to send back players) the rebuilding teams usually like to keep their good picks and prospects... so its going to be salary dump type of action for mid-draft pick or lesser prospects. Especially if it happens after you put yourself close to the cap and everyone with internet connection sees it at NHLPA.