HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do the Habs need a heavyweight enforcer?

View Poll Results: Should the Habs claim Matt Kassian on waivers from Minnesota?
Yes 86 74.78%
No 29 25.22%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
02-19-2013, 03:09 PM
Sorinth

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
And then we faced the Flyers.
We lost because our we let in too many goals (Maybe a rookie Goalie wasn't the brightest ideas Gainey had). Is the tough guy now going to shutdown Briere as well?

Old
02-19-2013, 03:10 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Always liked Boll. Not as retarded hockey-wise as most of the heavyweights.

Old
02-19-2013, 03:12 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWalkThroughWalls View Post
Boston : The Habs dominated the game but couldn't finish (But yeah, Thornton was missing)
Buffalo : 10 goals for and 5 goals against isn't exactly struggling.
Sens : They have only one tough SOB in their lineup and Prust can take care of him if needed.

Then you have Toronto. But toughness isn't what beat us. Habs played a passive and uninspired game, and it was already 0-4 when Leafs started to goon it up. With a close score, Orr and McLaren wouldn't have played at all in the 3rd.

Basically, they key to victory against the NE is to work harder, not to get tougher.
The Habs did not dominate Boston, they played a soft perimeter games, a lot of weak shots from the outside.

Old
02-19-2013, 03:21 PM
CN_paladin

Boll would be an upgrade over Armstrong for sure and would be cheap to obtain.

Old
02-19-2013, 03:25 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWalkThroughWalls View Post
Boston : The Habs dominated the game but couldn't finish (But yeah, Thornton was missing)
Buffalo : 10 goals for and 5 goals against isn't exactly struggling.
Sens : They have only one tough SOB in their lineup and Prust can take care of him if needed.

Then you have Toronto. But toughness isn't what beat us. Habs played a passive and uninspired game, and it was already 0-4 when Leafs started to goon it up. With a close score, Orr and McLaren wouldn't have played at all in the 3rd.

Basically, they key to victory against the NE is to work harder, not to get tougher.
Habs played passive a good part of the season and were saved by their PP early on. Even when they started going during the Florida trip they seemed uninspired, remember how lifeless the game against the Panthers was? A big reason why we have been passive has been our lack of crash and bang brought forth by gritty players.

First game against the Sens, Habs responded physically but lost the confrontation. Second game against the Sens, the Sens decided to be passive physically and were an easy prey against our speed.

Against TO toughness was a factor, but not just with fist fights. Leafs were hard on the body and were not afraid to position themselves in front of the goalie.

That being said, i've liked our game against the Canes, the team seems to buy into Therrien's system, they were more aggressive on the counter-strike and the D supporting the offense. But we could be grittier.

Old
02-19-2013, 03:27 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorinth View Post
We lost because our we let in too many goals (Maybe a rookie Goalie wasn't the brightest ideas Gainey had). Is the tough guy now going to shutdown Briere as well?
And Umberger, and all the guys that were not afraid to crash the net. You could not have done the same for the Flyers' goalie, Pronger would have taken your head off.

Old
02-19-2013, 03:27 PM
TheWhiteIdea

The Habs are going to be physically dominated tonight, and in all likelihood beat up.

Old
02-19-2013, 03:39 PM
Sorinth

Quote:
And Umberger, and all the guys that were not afraid to crash the net. You could not have done the same for the Flyers' goalie, Pronger would have taken your head off.
Very true so how does an enforcer change that. He's not going to be the one scoring the goals, does his presence allow for small forwards to suddenly be able to take on Pronger?

Old
02-19-2013, 03:52 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Very true so how does an enforcer change that. He's not going to be the one scoring the goals, does his presence allow for small forwards to suddenly be able to take on Pronger?
http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/s...tml?spell=3553

Something like that is about how I understand it. Enforcers are like Level 65 magic users and can widen the sphere of influence to affect the whole party, even while sitting safely on the bench (or in the penalty box). They're not able to score goals themselves, but they can use their spells to make the rest of the party hit harder, shoot straighter, and ultimately win the battles. While simultaneously casting "Fear" on the opponent, of course.

Old
02-19-2013, 03:55 PM
PK76

Quote:
Originally Posted by CN_paladin View Post
Boll would be an upgrade over Armstrong for sure and would be cheap to obtain.
I've always liked Boll. The dude is a bad ass.

What's cheap though? I'm pretty sure a lot of teams would like to have him.

Old
02-19-2013, 03:56 PM
bud12

the softy are in fire tonight

Old
02-19-2013, 03:58 PM
HiggsBozon
LOLZ, keep hating

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWhiteIdea View Post
The Habs are going to be physically dominated tonight, and in all likelihood beat up.
Because of Asham and Mashinster?

Bickell is not even playing, and Rupp isn't there anymore.

I'm all for adding toughness/an HW if possible, but White, Moen and Prust are more than enough to stand up to the Rangers.

Old
02-19-2013, 03:58 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFORCE View Post
Because of Asham and Mashinster?

Bickell is not even playing, and Rupp isn't there anymore.

I'm all for adding toughness/an HW if possible, but White, Moen and Prust are more than enough to stand up to the Rangers.
McDonagh is going to beat us up.

Old
02-19-2013, 04:10 PM
HiggsBozon
LOLZ, keep hating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
McDonagh is going to beat us up.
Yeah, no kidding...

Just a little parenthesis, but it's amazing how quickly McDonagh might have become one of the most overrated players in the league, only because of the trade he was a part of. Don't get me wrong, I'd take him back in less than a second. But listening to some people, you would believe McDonagh is a franchise player out there.

He's a good 2nd/3rd d-man out there. His loss is painful, but darn...

Old
02-19-2013, 04:20 PM
googlymoogly

Quote:
Yeah, no kidding...

Just a little parenthesis, but it's amazing how quickly McDonagh might have become one of the most overrated players in the league, only because of the trade he was a part of. Don't get me wrong, I'd take him back in less than a second. But listening to some people, you would believe McDonagh is a franchise player out there.

Subban is better of the two but he would of definitely made our D group better. We may have not had to make the trades to pick up Dman when Markov was injured, but then we would unlikely of had the 3rd overall pick as well and Gally is going to be a great player for us.

Old
02-19-2013, 04:25 PM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
The Habs did not dominate Boston, they played a soft perimeter games, a lot of weak shots from the outside.
not the game i watched

Old
02-19-2013, 04:28 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
This simply did not happen.

Go watch the Flyers series again. Habs were shooting from far closer to the net than the Flyers were and getting far more of them to boot. The Flyers won on seeing eye shots from the perimeter and Biron playing out of his head and getting the bounces. You're perpetuating a mythical version of events.

The reason for this is that the 07-08 version of the Flyers were a crappy 5 on 5 team that couldn't defend a fortress let alone a net. They needed Biron to clean up from the many chances they gave up because their big and slow defense couldn't keep up and they relied on noted defensive failure Daniel Briere to play big minutes at center. Flyers only became a 5 on 5 terror later when they massively upgraded their blueline and Carter and Richards matured.

Old
02-19-2013, 05:37 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
First, you need to ignore current Habs players when they speak "off the record" regarding the desire to have an enforcer on the team.

Next, you need to ignore what was posted a page or two ago regarding Kadri playing bigger than what he is and the added freedom that he has with big tough guys on the team backing him up.

Finally, you need to ignore the play of Bergeron, Krejci, Paille and Marchand on a Bruins team full of "backup". Paille used to be a kitten with the Sabres and now he is balls to the wall aggression.

After you have ignored all of that, then you can truthfully state that an "how does an enforcer change(s) that".

The truth remains that this team does not perform as well against more physical and intimidating teams.

Old
02-19-2013, 05:40 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post

Something like that is about how I understand it. Enforcers are like Level 65 magic users and can widen the sphere of influence to affect the whole party, even while sitting safely on the bench (or in the penalty box). They're not able to score goals themselves, but they can use their spells to make the rest of the party hit harder, shoot straighter, and ultimately win the battles. While simultaneously casting "Fear" on the opponent, of course.
Can I up the conversation level a bit by posting a link to a Disney movie for you?

Old
02-19-2013, 05:41 PM
TennisMenace

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
First, you need to ignore current Habs players when they speak "off the record" regarding the desire to have an enforcer on the team.

Next, you need to ignore what was posted a page or two ago regarding Kadri playing bigger than what he is and the added freedom that he has with big tough guys on the team backing him up.

Finally, you need to ignore the play of Bergeron, Krejci, Paille and Marchand on a Bruins team full of "backup". Paille used to be a kitten with the Sabres and now he is balls to the wall aggression.

After you have ignored all of that, then you can truthfully state that an "how does an enforcer change(s) that".

The truth remains that this team does not perform as well against more physical and intimidating teams.
Hey Southern, I wish you were part of our management brain trust.

Old
02-19-2013, 05:46 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisMenace View Post
Hey Southern, I wish you were part of our management brain trust.
I learned from the best...........the Habs teams that won Stanley Cups.

Old
02-19-2013, 05:50 PM
TennisMenace

Quote:
I learned from the best...........the Habs teams that won Stanley Cups.
Lol. Me too. I never missed a game in the 60s and 70s- every Wednesday and Saturday on Hockey Night in Canada. I loved those teams.

Old
02-19-2013, 05:51 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Yeah, no kidding...

Says people who are solely looking at points to determine if a guy does a great job or not. I really thought that McDonagh would never be an offensive force. Yet, I did think that he'd be a defensive force for years to come. McDonagh might not be a #1 because he doesn't bring the offensive AND defence, but he surely has in him to be top 3 and top 1 defensively. And he will improve.

Old
02-19-2013, 06:22 PM
Sorinth

Quote:

I will ignore someone on the internet claiming he knows what the players really think but it's all off the record.

Kadri's comments say more about how weak he is mentally than anything else. I'd rather a guy like Gallagher who isn't intimidated to begin with.

I'm not sure what Beregeron or Krecji are doing on your list, but Marchard played the exact same way when he was in junior and Paille had his best seasons by far in Buffalo.

Let me ask you a question. Who on the Habs would be playing better right now if we had an enforcer?

Last edited by Sorinth: 02-19-2013 at 08:17 PM.
Old
02-19-2013, 06:26 PM
AntonCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post

A level 80 defender like a Pronger looks at the level 65 magic user and laughs and laughs and laughs. While this magic user is on the bench and Pronger decapitates the small speedy forward. Then what does your vaunted magic user do?

Closed Thread