HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

LD Morgan Rielly (2012, 5th overall, Toronto) II

Old
02-19-2013, 11:41 AM
Rare Jewel
Patience

vCash: 500
DUB player of the week.

http://whl.ca/article/rielly-named-d...er-of-the-week

Rare Jewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 11:45 AM
iPunch
Registered Leafs Fan

vCash: 133
Can't wait for this guy to start running our powerplay

iPunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 11:52 AM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowzie View Post
I think the 2 months or so of AHL time he gets after his WHL season is over will greatly help him out.
Same here. He should get 15-18 games for the Marlies in the regular season and then playoff games if they make it. That should be more than enough time for him to adjust to he pro game and allow for him to make the Leafs next year. IMO, there is almost no chance of him playing in the WHL again next year. With his skill level and strength he'll be in the NHL next season. There will be growing pains, but he's good enough to handle them.

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 11:54 AM
The Saurus

If the Leafs develop him properly, I'm quite comfortable in saying that he will be an impact top four d-man in the NHL.

Because of the CHL-AHL transfer rule, I could see Morgan Rielly starting with the Leafs on a tryout basis. If his game is not up to par, he'll be back in the WHL and I'd have no issues with that.

The Saurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 03:42 PM
pooleboy
#buildthrewthedraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saurus View Post
If the Leafs develop him properly, I'm quite comfortable in saying that he will be an impact top four d-man in the NHL.

Because of the CHL-AHL transfer rule, I could see Morgan Rielly starting with the Leafs on a tryout basis. If his game is not up to par, he'll be back in the WHL and I'd have no issues with that.
i wouldn't mind seeing Rielly get a re-try at the WJC.

pooleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 05:34 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Good to see him do well, we need more time though.

02-19-2013, 05:40 PM
edruga

vCash: 666
I hope he can play center.

edruga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 05:41 PM
dannyboy8920

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooleboy View Post
As good as he looks, I would love to see him have a big role for the Jr. team next year - And hopefully his WHL team either builds a winner or trades him.

The Leafs have a log-jam, and the extra seasoning wont hurt him one bit.

dannyboy8920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 05:57 PM
The Saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy8920 View Post
The Leafs have a log-jam, and the extra seasoning wont hurt him one bit.
It would also be favourable for the Leafs. An extra year of RFA money / rights for a player of Morgan's calibre instead of wasting a year in which he'll be playing 10-12 minutes a night. Some extra seasoning means he could step into the NHL and have an impact right away.

The Saurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 11:39 PM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
It would also be favourable for the Leafs. An extra year of RFA money / rights for a player of Morgan's calibre instead of wasting a year in which he'll be playing 10-12 minutes a night. Some extra seasoning means he could step into the NHL and have an impact right away.
But will it be worth putting up with the people who'll no doubt be calling him a bust for not making the team out of camp?

7even is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 10:39 AM
Sundinisagod
Ehlers or Ritchie...

Quote:
I dunno about this...next year the WHL may not be challenging enough for him to make significant progress, especially on the defensive end...I think with some AHL seasoning at the end of this year he's ready to make the jump.

Sundinisagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 10:52 AM
Leafs87
Mr. Steal Your Job

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7even View Post
But will it be worth putting up with the people who'll no doubt be calling him a bust for not making the team out of camp?
Just like Kadri right ?

This kid should play next year in the WHL no doubt in my mind. Hoping he gets traded to a competitive team, plays world juniors and then AHL time this year and next should have him ready for 2015. No point in rushing the kid, offensive d-men like him take a bit longer. Just throwing it out there that Pieterangelo played 2 years in junior after getting drafted.

Leafs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 11:20 AM
Tony Clifton Leaf
A Mouthful

vCash: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by pooleboy View Post
I'm obviously hoping he earns a spot with the Leafs next year, but it would be nice to watch Rielly play in a leadership role at the WJC; there'd be a decent chance he would be an alternate captain.

Tony Clifton Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 12:43 PM
bsmith14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs87 View Post
Just like Kadri right ?

This kid should play next year in the WHL no doubt in my mind. Hoping he gets traded to a competitive team, plays world juniors and then AHL time this year and next should have him ready for 2015. No point in rushing the kid, offensive d-men like him take a bit longer. Just throwing it out there that Pieterangelo played 2 years in junior after getting drafted.
I agree with you. Moose Jaw should be a better team next year but I would love to see him flourish with a contender, and get some playoff action. He should be one of the best, if not the best defenceman in the CHL next year (assuming Jones is in the NHL).

bsmith14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 02:11 PM
FlareKnight

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith14 View Post
I agree with you. Moose Jaw should be a better team next year but I would love to see him flourish with a contender, and get some playoff action. He should be one of the best, if not the best defenceman in the CHL next year (assuming Jones is in the NHL).
To be fair with how bad they are now, Moose Jaw has to be a better team than this year. Did they win any games while Rielly was gone?

The MJ situation is the only reason I'm really hesitant to send him back next year. You can only learn so much in that kind of situation.

Will have to see how it goes. He's certainly going to make it interesting in the next camp.

FlareKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 02:47 PM
puckfan13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundinisagod View Post
I dunno about this...next year the WHL may not be challenging enough for him to make significant progress, especially on the defensive end...I think with some AHL seasoning at the end of this year he's ready to make the jump.
This is what people said about Luke Schenn, I'm sure of it. That went well. Nothing bad can happen by leaving him in junior for another year.

puckfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 02:53 PM
WildcatMapleLeafs28

There's no need to rush this kid. We have such a surplus of D , we're looking to move one. An extra year of junior can't hurt. MJ will likely be a better place next season or he might be moved to a contender. Who knows ? Only time will tell.

WildcatMapleLeafs28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 04:03 PM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Just for fun. % of team's GF involved in:

S. Jones: 18.5%

M. Rielly: 37.7%

D. Hamilton: 34.2%

R. Murphy: 24.6%

Rielly has been very impressive on an offensively-challenged MJ team.

Old
02-22-2013, 04:31 PM
Lebanese Leaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs87 View Post
Just like Kadri right ?

So according to you, a player who is drafted and dominates junior, telling you he has nothing left to prove there should be kept out of the NHL for at least 2 more years? This is just ridiculous, it's almost as bad to hold prospects back as it is to rush them.

Pietrangelo got 8 games in 2008-09 after being drafted. He got 9 games in 2009-10 before being sent back to Barrie. And then he was full time in the NHL in 2010-11. Even he only spent 2 years after being drafted before making it full time.

You want to bury Rielly for 3 years. I'm not saying he is going to necessarily be better than Pietrangelo, but even Pietrangelo didn't dominate junior like Rielly is.

Look at Dougie Hamilton. 1 year in the OHL after being drafted, now up full time on a Boston team that is a contender. He's getting the 5th most ice time among D-men on his team, and yet most are praising his development. Is he rushed?

Lebanese Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 04:48 PM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebanese Leaf View Post
So according to you, a player who is drafted and dominates junior, telling you he has nothing left to prove there should be kept out of the NHL for at least 2 more years? This is just ridiculous, it's almost as bad to hold prospects back as it is to rush them.

Pietrangelo got 8 games in 2008-09 after being drafted. He got 9 games in 2009-10 before being sent back to Barrie. And then he was full time in the NHL in 2010-11. Even he only spent 2 years after being drafted before making it full time.

You want to bury Rielly for 3 years. I'm not saying he is going to necessarily be better than Pietrangelo, but even Pietrangelo didn't dominate junior like Rielly is.

Look at Dougie Hamilton. 1 year in the OHL after being drafted, now up full time on a Boston team that is a contender. He's getting the 5th most ice time among D-men on his team, and yet most are praising his development. Is he rushed?
Erm, Rielly's good, but he's not THAT good; it's not like he's the best prospect in hockey or something.

Why do you need to be on a side here? If he makes it, he makes it, and if he doesn't, he doesn't. I don't know how you can be so adamant about Rielly making the Leafs when we haven't even seen his next training camp. Relax.

Old
02-22-2013, 04:48 PM
FishManSam
Bobs Yummy Burgers!

Anyone watch Rielly last night? He was a -2 with 0 points but was still 3rd star in a 5-1 loss.

FishManSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 06:33 PM
will13

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishManSam View Post
Anyone watch Rielly last night? He was a -2 with 0 points but was still 3rd star in a 5-1 loss.
I didn't see him play last night but he does have a lot of games like that. He just dominates for most of the game even though his stats would suggest otherwise.

will13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 07:43 PM
Atomos2
The Center of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishManSam View Post
I'd like to know how many times he has been one of the three stars in this season.

Atomos2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 07:47 PM
Fearless Leaf*
Playiffs 2013!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomos2 View Post
I'd like to know how many times he has been one of the three stars in this season.
A lot actually. I am more than sure at least 50% of the Moose Jaw's game that have been played so far, he is either been a 1st, 2nd, or a 3rd star in each one of them.

Fearless Leaf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 10:01 PM
TheLeastOfTheBunch

vCash: 50
Goal and an assist, he's got 4 game winners on the season. Moose Jaw is 9 points behind #8 Kootenay right now, so I guess Rielly will be in the AHL/NHL after his season with the Warriors

TheLeastOfTheBunch is offline   Reply With Quote