HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Edm-Ott

Old
02-19-2013, 12:08 AM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pekka Rinne View Post
When Stone still isnt in the NHL?
Yes, actually. It IS comments exactly like this why we should revisit this thread in 2-3 years.

That was a very good example.

BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 12:20 AM
Behind Enemy Lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by officeglen View Post
I was just discussing his premise, which I don't agree with, but was willing to debate.

My premise is pretty simple too. If a vet is playing like poop, and has been sat multiple games, and has a large contract, he has low trade value. The league is so competitive now, so many one goal games, that teams can't take on vets as projects. They can bring up young players, because they have to develop cheap talent due to the cap, and they can get many years of play when they do develop them. But to bring a vet in who is playing like poop is too risky. First the owner says, why am I paying millions for poop? Then the GM has to tell the coach to put the poop on the ice. Then the poop causes the team to miss the playoffs, and the owner says "where's the money from the playoffs?".

Compare if a trade is made for a vet that is playing well. The owner says great, now we make the playoffs and I get my money back. The GM doesn't have to tell the coach to play the vet. The coach looks smart, as he can insert the vet into the lineup and not rely as much on less talented players. Vets that are playing well have good trading value.

Is Whitney playing well right now?
Your premise was faulty - Souray and Whitney circumstances are like comparing apples to zucchini. When Souray wore out his welcome he was offered free to 29 teams and all passed. Required a buy out to move him. The Oil do not have to do anything with Whitney. I doubt he will be given away as much as teams with injuries might like to believe the Oilers would accept pennies on the dollar. Better to keep him and let him walk after using as insurance to try to make a playoff run. And possibly as a proud athlete playing for his next contract Whitney gets his groove back.
Or the Oil cut ties and move on after maintaining blueline insurance for the season.

Back to your poop analogy, didn't we just endure a lockout because owners were more than happy to pay too much for poop. Seems like a simplistic rosé tinted glasses, Pollyanna view to think the GM's and their owners won't pay for a chance to win the Cup. Naive to think they won't continue to gamble at trade deadlines and risk overpayments to win.

That teams in the heat of playoff races will place their fate on cheap minor leaguers over NHL veterans especially those with expiring contracts and for some Cup experience as well. The trade deadlines of the past suggest overwise where one market's poop frequently becomes another's treasure. Sometimes though poop is just poop. But NHL poop for lottery ticket hopes and dream poop is often a reasonable risk for playoff push for gate revenue and glory.

Behind Enemy Lines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 12:33 AM
officeglen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behind Enemy Lines View Post
... The trade deadlines of the past suggest overwise where one market's poop frequently becomes another's treasure ...
Okay, give me two or more deadline deals where vets with large contracts, playing like poop and having been sat multiple games, got good trade value.

officeglen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 01:01 AM
IranCondraAffair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pekka Rinne View Post
When Stone still isnt in the NHL?
Friendly wager?

IranCondraAffair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 01:27 AM
Behind Enemy Lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by officeglen View Post
Okay, give me two or more deadline deals where vets with large contracts, playing like poop and having been sat multiple games, got good trade value.
Have at it. Feel free to review & make your own conclusions, I don't know what you consider to be 'good trade value'. You jump into this conversation after I questioned a poster saying Whitney had zero trade value. I don't think personally the Oil would settle for anything less than a second round pick. Even that is questionable because they don't have to trade him.

You will see at the draft deadline second and third picks are traded like pez candy. Most often for veteran players for a Cup run. It is what the market will bare and especially with expiring contracts the exposure is limited. The reward high if a deal works it can solidify a roster depth and more payoff game drives more money. Veteran depth especially on the blue is coveted. More so than the minor leaguers you professed in your last post.

The trade deadline record is there. Find a few that support your theory. Then compare against my assertion and draw your own conclusion about likely scenario.

Behind Enemy Lines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 02:46 AM
shiva

Sigh, even as a Oiler fan, I don't see as much value to Whitney at the moment. If we are lucky, a 3rd round pick at trade deadline based on his play at the moment. Maybe more if he ramps it up and plays better.

He's a 3rd pairing defense man at the moment, I don't think you get much higher than a 3rd for a 3rd pairing D. Maybe a 2nd only if it's a elite team and it's in the 55-60th overall range

shiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 07:09 AM
zeus3007*

The Oil have one option for Whitney. Hold onto him and hope that he turns it around before the deadline. Its bad asset management to sell low, and Whitney is certainly at an all time low.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 07:19 AM
officeglen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behind Enemy Lines View Post
... The trade deadline record is there. Find a few that support your theory. Then compare against my assertion and draw your own conclusion about likely scenario.
Okay, my theory:
vets with large contracts, playing like poop, have low trade value
vets with large contracts, playing well, have good trade value

I have found a large number that support my theory, and none that support your assertion. Have at it.

As to Whitney getting a second round pick (because if you don't get that you will be happy to keep him), compare the Oil trading a 2nd for Kotalík. Now we know how Kotalik has been later, but at time compare Kotalik's age, talent, and how he was playing to Whitney. If the Oil thought Kotalik was worth a 2nd, how much does that make Whitney worth?

Old
02-19-2013, 01:02 PM
spartachris

Whitney= AHL

spartachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 01:15 PM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 250
No thanks from Edmonton's POV. I'd prefer to be trading for players that can step right into the line-up.

MeestaDeteta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 01:30 PM
spartachris

I don't blame you I would too! But clearly if the guy has been benched as a healthy scrath on a team with the worst defence....that says it all.

spartachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 04:15 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpsman View Post
You can't badmouth him on the Oilers board and ask him to be scratched every game, then come over here on the main boards and say he's a top 4 D-man.
Thank you!

NyQuil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 05:07 PM
alpine4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by IranCondraAffair View Post
This thread needs a bump in a few years
Challenge Accepted... (hopefully wont be locked before)

alpine4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 05:29 PM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

vCash: 694
the oilers dont need stone, he is basically cheechoo and we already have him in our system. he is a good player at scrounging off of hislinemates for dirty goals. it works for him but he isnt a fantastic player. maybe one day he can play in the nhl but it wont be soon unless everyone on the sens gets sick.

CornKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 05:33 PM
ChiassonTale

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpine4life View Post
Challenge Accepted... (hopefully wont be locked before)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
the oilers dont need stone, he is basically cheechoo and we already have him in our system. he is a good player at scrounging off of hislinemates for dirty goals. it works for him but he isnt a fantastic player. maybe one day he can play in the nhl but it wont be soon unless everyone on the sens gets sick.
I won't hold my breath.

ChiassonTale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 05:33 PM
officeglen

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
Murray disagrees, but what does he know, better we trust the posters here who haven't seen him in months

Old
02-19-2013, 05:48 PM
Benny FTW
TurnSoonestToTheSea

vCash: 50
You can just say no to a proposal. No need to attack a player just cause.

Benny FTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 07:55 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

From now on please use these templates when making a trade offer involving Edmonton.
*Proposing trade to Edmonton
Our team offers ____________X
We as for __________________Y
Edmonton responds with "Your player is not worth that, but we will take _________Z instead"
Response "You cannot have _____Z"
Edmonton "______Z sucks anyways!"

*Responding to trade proposal from Edmonton
Edmonton offers ____________X
Edmonton would like __________Y
Response "________X is worth more than ________Y is. Give us one of the big four."
Edmonton responds with "__________X sucks anyways!"

This will save everyone a lot of time.

Qward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 01:00 AM
Turris the Turret
Do it for Rundblad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny FTW View Post
Actually his skating is average for his size. This isn't 2010 anymore.

He's also really good defensively.

Key Word Average

Turris the Turret is offline   Reply With Quote