HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Cocooning: People increasingly watch sports on TV versus live

Old
02-19-2013, 08:48 AM
Bongo

vCash: 500
After the Thrash left, I rediscovered the joys of watching hockey at home.
1. Beer is colder, cheaper, and easier to get.
2. More intelligent conversation from the people sitting around me.
3. No lines for the bathroom and it's 200% cleaner.
4. MOD
5. No lines for the bathroom and it's 200% cleaner.

Last edited by Timmy: 02-19-2013 at 02:24 PM. Reason: nope
Bongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 08:52 AM
Crease

With the way the Rangers games are priced, it hurts to go to more than 3-5 games per season these days. That being said, I enjoy the experience from the couch just as much. I'd be interested in the results of a study done on ticket supply/demand (i.e. ticket prices) and HD technology.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 09:06 AM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesfan94 View Post
Honestly watching a game on TV pales in comparison to the live experience
At least at home you can choose who you're sitting next to. Nothing worse than being stuck next to a drunk, or a really fat guy, or a guy who shushes you every time you cheer, or a group of 12-year-olds who say things like "Oh my God, those idiots forgot to put the goalie in!" when there's a delayed penalty.

Of course, now that I have a decent career, I can afford better seats where people like that are less likely to sit, but I know I'm more the exception than the rule.

Buck Aki Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 09:13 AM
QcBlizzard
Regis-tered fan

Budweiser takes advantage of this.

http://www.budweiser.ca/redlight/

They quickly ran out of stock.

QcBlizzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 10:00 AM
cutchemist42

For some sports, it's actually just better to watch on tv. (Hockey is not 1 of them for me) I mean, I have not gone to these sports but would imagine they are better on tv where the details can be seen.

-MMA
-Boxing
-Curling
-Golf

I will sya I do hate when football/hockey replay screens don't show bad calls to the stadium.

cutchemist42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 10:34 AM
swimmer77
Post Oates

It's an interesting article. But I don't think cocooning is necessarily for me - especially when it comes to ice hockey.

There is too much that happens "away from the puck" which is what the broadcast follows - the puck for the most part. There could be a couple of players about to engage in a fight behind the action, line changes, coaching instructions, goalie trying to retrieve a lost stick, an injury, etc.

Baseball and football change defense and offense during a timeout and there's not much to see. Basketball subs players during a timeout. Hockey changes on the fly. To me there is so much more to see in person at a hockey game. It's easier to see a "bad" or "good" line change no matter where your seat is.

Even TV timeouts are more interesting especially if you are close to the ice. You can see the communication between players and coaches. Baseball teams hole up in a dugout. Football fans are pretty distant from the sidelines. Basketball is definitely a little bit more "personal" in this respect.

But also for me I try to incorporate a hockey game into other things I like to see. I try to get the most bang for the money expended that it took to get me to and from an arena.

Come to think of it, if I were marketing hockey I'd use the above as a platform to market the sport. There's just more to follow in person than on TV.

And nothing beats sitting at or close to the ice. In a corner you really get a perception of how quickly a d-man has to make a decision. Behind the goalie you see how fast a goalie has to react.

Obviously circumstances are different for each individual so I can see economically how it would a habit for others with the advancement of TV's. But I still don't think it's the same experience.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 10:37 AM
powerstuck
User Registered

While hockey is still best enjoyed live, the cost of watching it home vs live is considerably different.

powerstuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 10:38 AM
DuklaNation

More people might watch TV vs live because the # of seats in the arena is limited. Article needs some editing.

DuklaNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 11:49 AM
LSnow

Hockey is pretty great sport to watch from TV. AM football on the other hand is horrible to watch, you cant see half the action happening because they zoom to the QB ass.
Baseball is boring but watchable from TV, at live its most boring event you can go to.
Football is pretty nice from TV, better suited for it than hockey.

LSnow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 12:03 PM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
I rarely attend Football or Baseball games, not because of the danger, but because I generally don't enjoy forking over big money to be uncomfortable due to the weather. I have been to it all.. 100 degree baseball, rainy football, 0 degree football, and it has gotten a bit old.

Morris Wanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 12:31 PM
chasespace

I highly enjoy watching hockey live but I live two hours away from the closest team and money isn't always there so I, like most college kids, cocoon.

chasespace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 01:21 PM
Noob616

I think the biggest thing that will keep people going to hockey games is how much better the game is live than televised. Hockey isn't football, football is one of the best sports to watch on TV, but hockey is really rather tough to watch on TV compared to live.

Noob616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 01:26 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noob616 View Post
I think the biggest thing that will keep people going to hockey games is how much better the game is live than televised. Hockey isn't football, football is one of the best sports to watch on TV, but hockey is really rather tough to watch on TV compared to live.
Football really isn't good to watch on TV if you want to follow the routes of the receiver.

AdmiralsFan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 02:17 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralsFan24 View Post
Football really isn't good to watch on TV if you want to follow the routes of the receiver.
I'm surprised this hasn't been solved already, with wide-screen televisions and overhead camera angles available. You'd think at this point that watching a football game on TV would be like watching a Madden video game.

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 02:31 PM
Crease

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
I'm surprised this hasn't been solved already, with wide-screen televisions and overhead camera angles available. You'd think at this point that watching a football game on TV would be like watching a Madden video game.
In all likelihood, the NFL willingly limits the TV viewers perspective of the action. Either because viewers in general don't like change or because a better view of the action could alter the perception of a player in a negative way.

Ever hear of the All-22 tape? It's what coaches use for film and allows you to see play unfold with all 22 players in frame.

Quote:
And therein lies the problem with All-22 tape becoming available to the general public, particularly when it comes to passing plays. Someone will be open and many fans will assume that the quarterback did not make the right read or was locked onto another receiver. Yet in reality there is a progression on every pass play -- based on the coverage -- that a quarterback must rely on to determine who gets the ball. What might appear to be open on the All-22 might not be on the progression.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...tape-to-public

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 02:42 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
In all likelihood, the NFL willingly limits the TV viewers perspective of the action. Either because viewers in general don't like change or because a better view of the action could alter the perception of a player in a negative way.

Ever hear of the All-22 tape? It's what coaches use for film and allows you to see play unfold with all 22 players in frame.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...tape-to-public

Isn't this angle used regularly on replays already?

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 02:46 PM
cutchemist42

Quote:
I've heard it said, and actually agreed somehwat with this. A better angle for show the football plays would be the Madden video game angle. I would love a game at this angle, which zooms out usually after the snap.

edit-Saw that others have mentioned it already

cutchemist42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 02:52 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
Isn't this angle used regularly on replays already?
It would be nice to see it be the regular angle they use in the game.

Old
02-19-2013, 02:58 PM
Retail1LO

Send a message via ICQ to Retail1LO Send a message via AIM to Retail1LO Send a message via MSN to Retail1LO
I don't attend games because from my house, I can watch any game, anywhere. From my house, any one of those games cost my pennies to watch as a portion of my annual Center Ice package, versus paying 1/2 of my total package's cost for two tickets in the nose bleeds. From my house, hotdogs are 2 for $1. An entire case of beer is nearly less than the cost of two brews at the game. Parking in my driveway is free. The wait at the bathroom is nonexistent, and the facilities are impeccably clean. No travel time. No gas money. No parking costs.

Quite frankly, it's amazing anyone goes to more than a few games a year. With costs continuing to rise, it'll be the upper middle class attending all the games regardless of what city you're referring to. Cocooning is occurring because quite frankly, they're not trying to grow the game. They're trying to squeeze every last dollar possible out of the rich, and the rich can accommodate them. Everyone else just watches from the sidelines as economics dictate.

It's tough to make new fans and get new blood to show up at the rink when everyone raises their prices to all time highs, even after they just had a work stoppage. Hockey fans are nuts of the highest level. Hockey fans are among the most affluent in all of sports. We still haven't reached a price point that keeps but the smallest bunch away.

Retail1LO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
datbwoymjp
Wa gwan?

It's really expensive, especially here in Detroit. I went to the game against St. Louis (Backes' phantom headshot) and spent the entire time jawing back and forth at the Blues fans in my proximity, when everyone was crowding the tunnels to get back to the parking garage (it was 10 degrees) the Blues fans opened the door for me and my girlfriend.

Conversely when I went to a USA-Mexico soccer game a few years ago I left with a black eye and bloody knuckles.

I just don't feel like fan violence is an issue in hockey. Maybe because guys fight it out on the ice, and because everyone spent half a week's pay for a night out and don't feel like getting punched.

datbwoymjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Bill_Crosby

Maybe I'm abnormal but the only time my TV is on is when I'm playing PS3. I subscribed to the OHL this year online and I've been streaming all that stuff to my Nexus 7 or duel-screen monitor. I might buy the MLB package and do the same with the Jays this year.

Bill_Crosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 04:33 PM
JetsFlyHigh

We all want that lazy sunday afternoons with beer in our hands, and barbecue in another, and a clear pathway to the bathroom. That is what the real American dream is about.

JetsFlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 05:05 PM
XX
Lots of Try

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutchemist42 View Post
I've heard it said, and actually agreed somehwat with this. A better angle for show the football plays would be the Madden video game angle. I would love a game at this angle, which zooms out usually after the snap.
That angle is terrible for depth perception, which correlates to how many yards were gained. That's everything in football.

XX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 05:16 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
That angle is terrible for depth perception, which correlates to how many yards were gained. That's everything in football.
That's also what announcers are for.

Old
02-19-2013, 05:17 PM
XX
Lots of Try

Quote:
That's also what announcers are for.
People don't want to be told after the fact. It's also a terrible angle for any deep throws. It makes sense to use it as a replay angle, but not as the main viewing angle.

XX is online now   Reply With Quote