HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Comcast broadcasting crew thread

Old
02-19-2013, 05:29 PM
Roo Mad Bro
U havin a giggle m8?

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ychocky View Post
I lived in Allentown when I was a kid and I was brought up listening to these guys.

Dornhoefer and Coates are legends in my eyes!

Coatsey's corner was silly and I loved it!

I moved to Canada in 2000 and am excited to watch a CSN feed when I can.
I grew up in the Lehigh Valley as well.

Anybody remember Coatesy's corner? I think it usually aired during the 1st intermission.

Used to love that as a kid haha.

Roo Mad Bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 05:33 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgkibbles View Post
Ya, hasn't been on since 2010-2011 season I think.
So sad.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 05:36 PM
flyershockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo Mad Bro View Post

Anybody remember Coatesy's corner? I think it usually aired during the 1st intermission.

Anyone remember when Coatesy cut all of Therien's (I believe?) sticks at practice to watch him snap them all in two? That was about as good as that segment got.

flyershockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 09:53 PM
The Couturier Effect

I'd rather listen to Coatsey than McGuire...

The Couturier Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 12:04 AM
Ryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyFlying View Post
coatsey is senile and distracting. i'm (ABSOLUTELY) looking right over his shoulder
Well, he's not the biggest guy out there

In addition, yesterday he was looking right over the shoulder of Giroux on Read's goal, and commenting on something in regards to Giroux's first shot there that didn't go in. At the time he took that shot, Giroux was, of course, positioned right in the middle of the ice a couple of meters in front of the net

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 08:30 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
Anyone remember when Coatesy cut all of Therien's (I believe?) sticks at practice to watch him snap them all in two? That was about as good as that segment got.
That and when he gave Niity the tarp to put over the jumbotron so he didn't get scored on from center ice again lol.

I think Jackson is a great play by play guy as far as following the action and getting all the players right and names pronounced correctly. I think he gets a little too biased sometimes, but I suppose that's to be expected. I like Jones, but on the radio and as an analyst not as a color guy. Clement rules. Coatsey is fun if you don't take him seriously.

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 09:00 AM
ihatebraydenschenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo Mad Bro View Post

Coatsey's Corner is still around. The best one was when he tied a puck to a string and faked the **** out of Robert Esche. If I remember correctly, Esche was injured during the bit.

If you don't like Jimmy Jackson, Coatsey, Clement or Jones, you should probably run into oncoming traffic.

ihatebraydenschenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 09:32 AM
Boogalo

Santa Coatsey was the BEST bit.

It's sad we didn't get one this year.

edit: Aha, so that's how youtubes work here.

Boogalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 11:22 AM
JohnnyOnTheSpot
I Believe in G-Sus

That Bob skit is literally one of the greatest things ever. Love it.

I don't know how you can not like our crew, to me once you're in Philly long enough, you're a Philly guy, and sometimes they're like watching a game with your friends. They say what I'm thinking way too often, and they're just a lively, fun-loving crew.

I NEVER understood not loving JJ, dude is typically spot on and does a great job following the play. Again, watch other PxP guys...horrid. Even the great one, Emrick, flubs more than JJ.

Coatsey...I mean come on, he's like watching a game with your drunk uncle. He's not going to give you info like Pierre such as "I snuck through Claude Giroux's trash can before the game and noticed empty Totino boxes, expect that to affect his stamina," but he's going to entertain you and be made fun of.

Clement....I always felt until a few years ago Clement had a hatred for Philly still for being traded and always was against us, plus I was tired of him from the NHL video games, but he's really grown on me and is quite fantastic.

Keith Jones is good, but I agree with the earlier poster who said his head was getting a little big. Plus, to me, he looks like the distorted girls from this Major Lazer video:

Radio wise...Bundy is fantastic. I hated him as a player, but he is too good on the radio. I feel bad he's being hidden there and he needs more exposure, but I'm not sure I want to physically look at him. But his emotions are great.

Saunders is really good...different from JJ but I think they're both great. It's not comparable to Franzke versus McCarthy where I want radio to overthrow TV at all, but he is great.

JohnnyOnTheSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 11:37 AM
Hooah4

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
Or when coatesy put the flexall in bundy's jock and put in in the dryer. It activated when bundy was skating.

Or the fishing line puck w/esche.

I have old video tape of when my son was a baby with Dornhoffer, and Gene Hart in the background.

There was also the time Coatesy, Dorny, and Jackson were all so blasted they couldn't find their way out of hershey arena after a preseason game in the 90's.

Hooah4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 11:43 AM
SuchySays

So i'm the only one that liked Coatsey's Corner? hahahaha

SuchySays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 12:06 PM
AaronTrieu

Ever seen Coatsey in person? Its kinda sad. Hes pretty old and decrepit. Not sure how he looks so lively on TV.

AaronTrieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 03:56 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
So yeah, what are your thoughts on those guys? And if you have any good past quotes, here's where you should post them Same with the new ones as we go along.
Wasn't it Jim Jackson who said "The Flyers have a 3-on-2 but (Mike) York has the puck"?

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 04:00 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

I second that Bundy is fantastic on the radio, especially when it's story time. I love that he's so monotone, and then something will snap and he'll trash whoever deserves to be trashed. Back when the website player worked on my phone I listened to the broadcast often while driving home.

Edit: Bill Clement had a very quoteworthy game last week. I forget which game and also what was said, but I remember he was on fire.

02-20-2013, 04:18 PM
4thline4life
The Mased God

I kinda get sad when we get deep in the playoffs and don't get our crew to do the games. They are top notch IMO. JJ doesn't get nearly as much credit he deserves, Jones is a better analyst IMO but it may be that clement just kills it on the color. Seriously love his bad analogies and one liners. Then you have coatsey who's well coatsey... not annoying and creepy which is really all you can ask from the guy between the benches.

4thline4life is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 08:42 AM
captainpaxil

jackson is the weak link in the chain and hes better than most of the pbp guys out there. i absolutely hate that bundy is stuck on the radio hes the gem of the squad in my opinion.

coatsey was sort of the local don cherry for a while and i really liked him but they stopped letting him talk and just went to him for shtick and it got kinda old. stil love him but its not fanatical like it used to be since they stopped selling "coatseys right let em fight" t-shirts

what always escapes me is the depth of talent csn has and they let the nbc broadcast continue to populated by espn washouts. espn sucked and nbc is only slightly better. its the same corporation now shift guys around smh

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 08:45 AM
chimrichalds18
the key

I like our crew. The chatter can get out of hand every now and then, but it's usually entertaining. I like Clement and think he has a great voice, but his homerism can bother me. He's just over-the-top loyal to the Flyers -- and sometimes it's at a point where there's a clear discrepancy between what he's saying and what's actually going on.

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 09:17 AM
poneill27

Lisa Hillary and Fedoruk sucked together. No energy/weird vibe. Did not like!

poneill27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 10:34 AM
FlyersFan61290

I love our crew. Rather listen to them than the national guys who are supposed to be unbiased but clearly aren't. At least when you listen to our guys they don't pretend to be unbiased.

And I agree Bundy is amazing. His comments about Crosby last year in the playoffs were absolutely hilarious

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 11:05 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by poneill27 View Post
Lisa Hillary and Fedoruk sucked together. No energy/weird vibe. Did not like!
Yeah it was a weird creepy segment. Maybe sexual tension..who knows

I do not like Lisa Hillary at all...much too cardboard like with her expressions..worse than Tocchet. Her commentary is way too scripted or sounds like it is...

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 12:01 PM
Bill_Meltzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
You really don't realize how good these guys are until you are stuck with Center Ice and hearing other announcers. There are some crews out there that are on the same level as the Comcast guys (NYR/NJ/NYI, Colorado, and a couple other), but a lot of these guys are awful (Washington, Pittsburgh, Florida, Dallas)
Dallas? The Strangis-Reaugh broadcasting team, in my opinion, is the best (and most down-the-middle in their analysis) in the U.S. That's not a knock on the Flyers' crew, whom I also think does a good job.

Bill_Meltzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 12:09 PM
Bill_Meltzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
Yeah it was a weird creepy segment. Maybe sexual tension..who knows

I do not like Lisa Hillary at all...much too cardboard like with her expressions..worse than Tocchet. Her commentary is way too scripted or sounds like it is...
Lisa knows hockey. She's a nice person, too, but doesn't take any guff from the guys which gets her respect both on and off the air.

BTW, some of those pressbox conversations, especially on practice days in Voorhees when there is more down time, can get pretty out there (both on hockey and non-hockey subjects) and she joins right in it.

Old
02-21-2013, 12:14 PM
Ryker

I don't know how I feel about Lisa Hillary, as I haven't seen her other than those couple of intermission segments she's been on this season, but I know I dislike the Al Morganti and John Boruk tandem for some reason. It's not that they provide bad analysis, they sometimes point out good things, but I just get annoyed by them.

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 12:22 PM
Bill_Meltzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronTrieu View Post
Ever seen Coatsey in person? Its kinda sad. Hes pretty old and decrepit. Not sure how he looks so lively on TV.
I'd just say he's much quieter, more businesslike and less jocular than he portrays on TV.

Old
02-21-2013, 12:45 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_Meltzer View Post
Lisa knows hockey. She's a nice person, too, but doesn't take any guff from the guys which gets her respect both on and off the air.

BTW, some of those pressbox conversations, especially on practice days in Voorhees when there is more down time, can get pretty out there (both on hockey and non-hockey subjects) and she joins right in it.
I'm sure she is a nice person off the air but on the air she comes off too stoic IMO. Sure she is business-like/professional but there is a way of being business like and still portraying to the audience an actual personality like Clement shows. I know she has the gender thing she has to deal with but still she doesn't have to prove to the audience her "toughness" to hang with "the man." Having said this she does seem sharp and is an attractive woman no doubt. I think Amy Fadool portrays herself well in limited stints...not sure how she handles herself off the air...but I don't care.

Last edited by FreshPerspective: 02-21-2013 at 12:51 PM.
FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote