HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Game 16: CBJ @ ANA | 2/18 10:00 PM EST ‎

Old
02-19-2013, 10:10 AM
JacketsFanWest

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
I really didn't pay that much attention to who was on the ice at that time, I was distracted. I know Letestu was on the ice just previous (he ended up getting the puck on the top of the net if I remember correctly), did he sub out or something?

The reality is, our depth is really challenged right now up the middle, so his options are somewhat limited. If Dubi was healthy, he's in taking that face off.
There was a line change, and Umberger and Brassard came out. I don't think Collins was out there. Umberger lined up on the right wing, right in front of the goal, so I'm guessing he was there to crash the net, but Brassard completely lost the draw.

As soon as I saw Brassard getting ready for the faceoff, I knew they'd lost.

JacketsFanWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 10:17 AM
BluejacketNut

I thought I had hit record, but think the DVR didnt record it because of space. Only thing I wanted to see was the Jarmo interview, any interesting info from the interview?

BluejacketNut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 10:24 AM
jacketsfan77

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGoaltender View Post
I don't see a country club atmosphere. I see a team struggling to find some type of identity. Having three 2 lines is not a problem for me as long as the team is consistent. Last night turnovers were our downfall.

Bob played outstanding, I can't state that enough.
wish this were true. what we have is 2 3rd lines and 2 4th lines.

jacketsfan77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 10:30 AM
Gagnefan924
Need Moar AmericanZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacketsFanWest View Post
There was a line change, and Umberger and Brassard came out. I don't think Collins was out there. Umberger lined up on the right wing, right in front of the goal, so I'm guessing he was there to crash the net, but Brassard completely lost the draw.

Well that's pretty nice considering we should be wanting to lose. Honestly Richards is an idiot for putting Brass out there to take that draw but I thought Brass played well. He's one of the few guys who's creative in offensive zone. Leads this ****** offense with 9 points in 16 games for forwards.

Gagnefan924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 10:40 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacketsfan77 View Post
This is either lazy or overstatement.

Old
02-19-2013, 11:09 AM
CapnCornelius

The team came back from a lazy finish to the first period and competed for the next 40 minutes, give or take.

That's about all I can expect out of this team. We all know that this forward group is not up to snuff. Are there questions about the defense as well? Sure (Nikitin in particular has made some questionable decisions in recent games), but it is hard to tell how much of that is simply that we've had guys playing too many minutes and they are having to spend much of the game at their own end of the ice.

I think it is time to start dialing down the minutes of the top 4 defensemen. Let's see what we have with some of the younger guys. Let's see if we can come up with some better pairings. Let's see if Nikitin is capable of playing with someone other than Tyutin. Let's see more minutes for Moore and Erixon to see where these guys are at and what they are capable of handling. Etc.

The rest of this season is about evaluating what we have to figure out what parts are worth keeping around and I think there are a lot of difficult choices to be made in that respect. For example, Brassard is one of our most productive offensive players, but he's also a team worst -9 at a defensively important position. What do you do with him?

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 11:51 AM
Cyclones Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacketsfan77 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
This is either lazy or overstatement.
No, it's not. Either one. At all.

Name the "2nd line" that the Blue Jackets have and on what team that this line would be a "2nd line".

I think I'll have time for a Snikers bar while I wait.

Cyclones Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 11:51 AM
gojackets1
Someday.

How did Collins look?

gojackets1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 12:00 PM
OldGoaltender

Quote:
Originally Posted by gojackets1 View Post
How did Collins look?
I thought he looked fine. Nothing special but he gets in the corners and digs. Very good for his first game.

OldGoaltender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 12:18 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacketsFanWest View Post

Probably should have left Letestu in for the final draw, even if he was tired. 15 seconds isn't a lot of time and if I remember correctly, we were on a 6 on 4.

It was probably all automatic at that point, but, yes, I wouldn't use Brass for a draw you have to win.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 12:24 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
I think it is time to start dialing down the minutes of the top 4 defensemen. Let's see what we have with some of the younger guys. Let's see if we can come up with some better pairings. Let's see if Nikitin is capable of playing with someone other than Tyutin. Let's see more minutes for Moore and Erixon to see where these guys are at and what they are capable of handling. Etc.
While I'm not in that mode yet, I agree that we should have been scaling back minutes all along. Having said that, the minutes for the D looked fine last night. As I mentioned in another thread, it's probably time to move Aucoin and start rotating around the D a bit more. Give some of these guys a night off, from time to time, if your name isn't Tyutin, Wiz, and Johnson.

I know Richards is wanting to win, but I don't think the key to it is giving 19 minutes to Aucoin over Erixon. In all honesty I didn't really see that much of a drop off on D, or even forward, when we suffered our injuries. Dubinsky hurts, but I think some of the other guys have stepped up. Calvert, for example, is just getting better and better. I think he's already beyond where Atkinson was to start the year, by quite a bit. Foligno is getting better and better.

I know it's of very small consequence, but if nothing else or 4th line is learning how to produce. That will be a boon for us if we can ever get more than a makeshift second line working. Once we figure out that Brass and RJ should be getting about 12 minutes a night in a limited role, because of 5 on 5 performance, the better off we'll start to be. It is about time for Richards to change the dynamics of the team.

Last edited by blahblah: 02-19-2013 at 12:30 PM.
Old
02-19-2013, 12:44 PM
Nordique

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
While I'm not in that mode yet, I agree that we should have been scaling back minutes all along. Having said that, the minutes for the D looked fine last night. As I mentioned in another thread, it's probably time to move Aucoin and start rotating around the D a bit more. Give some of these guys a night off, from time to time, if your name isn't Tyutin, Wiz, and Johnson.

I know Richards is wanting to win, but I don't think the key to it is giving 19 minutes to Aucoin over Erixon. In all honesty I didn't really see that much of a drop off on D, or even forward, when we suffered our injuries. Dubinsky hurts, but I think some of the other guys have stepped up. Calvert, for example, is just getting better and better. I think he's already beyond where Atkinson was to start the year, by quite a bit. Foligno is getting better and better.

I know it's of very small consequence, but if nothing else or 4th line is learning how to produce. That will be a boon for us if we can ever get more than a makeshift second line working. Once we figure out that Brass and RJ should be getting about 12 minutes a night in a limited role, because of 5 on 5 performance, the better off we'll start to be. It is about time for Richards to change the dynamics of the team.
yes, move Aucoin asap. His presence is accomplishing nothing for this team, not the present, and not the future. At least demote him to 7 and let Erixon keep skating.

Calvert needs more ice time, and he deserves more ice time. Great wrist shot last night over Hiller's right side...outstanding save. Thats a goal 3 out of 4 times imo.

We are a great goaltender from being > .500. Its not that Mason and Bob have been bad per say, but they haven't been great. 1 big save in each of the last 3, could have tipped the scales. We aren't playing bad at all, we just need something to put us over the top...a hot netminder, a scoring streak for a forward, etc.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 12:44 PM
ThisIsMyAlibi
Howson = Herminated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
Great post.

Agree 100%.

Sick of people blaming the country club atmosphere. Mistakes and lack of offensive production outrank the phantom effort problem by a country mile in the hierarchy of the team's issues. I'm not sure what games thisismyalibai and others are watching.
They fought hard last night. I mentioned that Umberger appeared to be putting in legitimate effort for the first time in months. It's LoFT.

ThisIsMyAlibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 01:52 PM
ClevelandJacketFan
Awesome Mascots!

The problem isn't playing hard, the problem isn't officials, the problem really isn't even coaching *well, not totally coaching*.

The problem is what we thought it would be: We are a team of grinders trying to outproduce what they are capable of. And when your actual skill gets hurt with Atkinson and AA gone, *I guess Dubi too but he's not the most talented either* then you are going to see games like tonight.

I'll be honest, I was impressed the game ended that close, with out lack of production and NikNik playing like a secret agent.

ClevelandJacketFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 02:02 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandJacketFan View Post
The problem is what we thought it would be: We are a team of grinders trying to outproduce what they are capable of.
That is not "the problem". There is no singular problem.

Old
02-19-2013, 02:12 PM
BluejacketNut

Well I would say there WAS a singular problem, the one who put the team together. Fortunately that's been taken care of.

BluejacketNut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 04:05 PM
JacketsFanWest

Quote:
Originally Posted by gojackets1 View Post
How did Collins look?
Okay. He was able to hold his own with Brass and Umby, but didn't contribute that much. His first shift he got in front of the crease and was battling really well.

When he got the puck, it's hard to tell what he could do because he seemed nervous.

He's not a speed demon going straight down the ice, but he has a decent burst of speed to get to lose pucks.

JacketsFanWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 04:42 PM
bizzz*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnefan924 View Post
Try and defend that Bizz two goals against by Nikitin. Told you they'd fade, earlier than I thought.
I'm not sure if I understand what was that all about. Two goals against Nikitin? I guess it weren't Dorsette and then Umberger/Brassard who just gave away the puck and created chaos. When the offence can't keep the puck and puts defense under permanent pressure they gonna commit mistakes. Especially when you're playing against opposition best lines.
Grow up.

bizzz* is offline   Reply With Quote