HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Wpg/ott

Old
02-19-2013, 05:24 PM
Jets
Resident Sieve

vCash: 500
Wpg/ott

To WPG:
F Colin Greening
G Ben Bishop

To OTT:
D Paul Postma
G Mark Dekanich/G Eddie Pasquale

Ottawa clears the logjam for Lehner, adds a top AHL goalie who can still challenge for the backup role. Winnipeg clears the RHD logjam and upgrades the shaky goaltending situation/a winger upgrade over Wellwood on the third line. Also Senators get some insurance with their loss of Karlsson and a new PPQB.

Jets is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 05:29 PM
officeglen

No thanks from the Sens

officeglen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 05:32 PM
Sens Mile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets View Post
To WPG:
F Colin Greening
G Ben Bishop

To OTT:
D Paul Postma
G Mark Dekanich/G Eddie Pasquale

Ottawa clears the logjam for Lehner, adds a top AHL goalie who can still challenge for the backup role. Winnipeg clears the RHD logjam and upgrades the shaky goaltending situation/a winger upgrade over Wellwood on the third line. Also Senators get some insurance with their loss of Karlsson and a new PPQB.
Two games with only one goal, why make Lehner hurry when we are not sure he is ready? We are not giving Bishop away

Sens Mile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 05:33 PM
mondo3

what if it was a 6th round pick instead of Greening?

mondo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 05:35 PM
ChiassonTale

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondo3 View Post
I'd probably do it then.

ChiassonTale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 05:35 PM
officeglen

Quote:
The question mark is Postma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFP
A smooth skater with a big shot and offensive instincts, Postma is attractive for his upside. He's a potential top-four D-man down the road, if and when he figures out how to balance his game. But right now, Postma is a little more risk than reward.
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/spo...190806031.html

officeglen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 05:41 PM
Sens Mile

Quote:
We need a solid defenceman, Postma may not fit us, would love just a 4th defenceman who is young and will stick

Old
02-19-2013, 05:42 PM
Huffer

vCash: 1090
Quote:
Originally Posted by officeglen View Post
If we're using that article as the guide, the Jets would want more than Bishop for Postma.

Huffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 05:43 PM
Sens Mile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
If we're using that article as the guide, the Jets would want more than Bishop for Postma.
You guys have a serious lack of legitimate talent, that will stick long-term with the team, Bishop is a piece that would stick. Postma is not enough

Old
02-19-2013, 05:46 PM
Benny FTW
TurnSoonestToTheSea

vCash: 50
Interesting but no.

Would do Bishop for Postma + 3rd.

Benny FTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 05:50 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

I thought Jets fans hated Postma.

I don't exactly hate Bishop.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 05:53 PM
hockeyarena

Why are we trading Postma for a 3rd line forward when we already have a surplus of role playing forwards? Not saying the trade is/isn't fair but it doesn't make a lot of sense as a Jets fan.

hockeyarena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 06:09 PM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens Mile View Post
You guys have a serious lack of legitimate talent, that will stick long-term with the team, Bishop is a piece that would stick. Postma is not enough
Serious lack of legitimate talent that is going to stick long term? Love to hear your basis for this statement because that doesn't make a lot of sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
I thought Jets fans hated Postma.

I don't exactly hate Bishop.
Which Jet fan hates Postma? He's only been in the NHL this season after developing in the AHL and being recognized as an AHL all-star (all-star game, and 1st team all-star at the end of the year).

He's been good in his NHL games this season, and the only reason the article (and this thread I'd imagine) exists is that the Jets have more right handed, PMD than they can dress.

Old
02-19-2013, 06:16 PM
Sens Mile

Quote:
Serious lack of legitimate talent that is going to stick long term? Love to hear your basis for this statement because that doesn't make a lot of sense.

Which Jet fan hates Postma? He's only been in the NHL this season after developing in the AHL and being recognized as an AHL all-star (all-star game, and 1st team all-star at the end of the year).

He's been good in his NHL games this season, and the only reason the article (and this thread I'd imagine) exists is that the Jets have more right handed, PMD than they can dress.
Look at your core, Wheeler, Little, and Bogosian are close to UFA. I believe Wheeler and Little are on their last RFA years. Unless long-term contracts are signed your line-up will not look that great (not meant to be flaming). And partly due to past Thrashers ownership there is not a whole lot of serious prospects. (though I love Scheifele and Trouba)

Old
02-19-2013, 06:27 PM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens Mile View Post
Look at your core, Wheeler, Little, and Bogosian are close to UFA. I believe Wheeler and Little are on their last RFA years. Unless long-term contracts are signed your line-up will not look that great (not meant to be flaming). And partly due to past Thrashers ownership there is not a whole lot of serious prospects. (though I love Scheifele and Trouba)
Wheeler and Little are both going to be RFA's. They could just as easily sign 5 year deals (like Kane, Ladd, Enstrom, Buff, and Pavelec). And if he's willing, Bogosian will be locked up for a long time. Burmistrov will also either be signed to a bridge deal, or a long term one as well.

Saying upcoming RFA's are not going to stick long term before they even get to contract negotiations isn't a legitimate perspective for saying that they are not going to stick long term.

The Jets don't have any key players within 4 years of becoming a UFA.

The team obviously has a ways to go, and other pieces need to be added, but to say that the Jets have a serious lack of talent that will stick long term is untrue. The Sens are going to have important UFA's come up before the Jets do for instance.

Old
02-19-2013, 06:43 PM
Jets
Resident Sieve

Didn't mean to create a Jets vs Sens free agents thread, I just thought maybe we each had some spare parts of similar value that could better address each others' current needs...

Jets is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 06:48 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:

Must have been after that game against the Senators.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 06:52 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

I think at this point, Postma is a guy you're going to add to another piece in order to get a guy you're looking for. Someone mentioned Postma and a 3rd for Bishop, and I think that's roughly in like with the value he'd return in a trade.

BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 06:54 PM
Stej
Good Canadian Kid!

It is VERY obvious in this thread and others that Postma and Redmond hold way more value to the Jets than they do to other team's fans on internet message boards. I don't think we'll get fair value for them in pretend trades.

LOL at Ottawa fans worrying about Winnipeg's "UFA" players that haven't even signed their last RFA contract yet.

Stej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 07:04 PM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
I think at this point, Postma is a guy you're going to add to another piece in order to get a guy you're looking for. Someone mentioned Postma and a 3rd for Bishop, and I think that's roughly in like with the value he'd return in a trade.
Agree that the Jets should probably add to Postma to get a nice return. Disagree on dealing Postma and a 3rd for Bishop as I don't think that's good value for Postma.

Old
02-19-2013, 08:20 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stej View Post
It is VERY obvious in this thread and others that Postma and Redmond hold way more value to the Jets than they do to other team's fans on internet message boards. I don't think we'll get fair value for them in pretend trades.

LOL at Ottawa fans worrying about Winnipeg's "UFA" players that haven't even signed their last RFA contract yet.
I think the reason for this, and I want to say this in the nicest way possible, is that the Jets just don't have a deep prospect pool. At all. After Sheifle and Trouba, the quality drops off very quickly. Telegin? Postma? The Jets just spent a 5th on Tangradi, and I'd say he's still better than a lot of guys in that system.

And it's not the Jets fault either. Cheveldaeoff has been a good GM, I think. Scheifle seemed like a bit of a reach when he was drafted, but he looks like he'll be a solid pick. The problem is that Don Waddell was so incompetent, so brutally bad at his job that the Thrashers were just an empty shell of a farm system when they went to Winnipeg. Cheveldaeoff is turning it around, but he needs more than a year and a half to re-stock the shelves.

And because of all this, most teams won't be jumping the gun because they probably already have two or three guys just like Postma in their system. He's nothing special. He's a nice player, but in the long run he's an average prospect. I mean, he could turn out to be a good #3-4 guy, but it's far from a sure thing, and odds are he's just a bottom pairing guy who won't hurt you and might put a few points up. And teams have those guys already. It certainly doesn't make him un-tradeable by any means... like I said, I think he's an ok prospect, but the return isn't going to be worth it for the Jets to move him, I don't think. He has more value to the Jets because they're just not as deep, prospect-wise, as some of the teams that Winnipeg would be looking to move him to.

So yeah. Not Jets-hating here. In fact, I think it's the opposite: I empathize with you guys. The Sens farm system looked really similar after our Cup run in 2007: one or two decent prospects, and after that a barren wasteland. I remember the days when we had high hopes for Josh Hennessey. Josh Hennessey! Not fun times, man. You can draw a direct link from our post-'07 high to us missing the playoffs 2 of the past 4 years to that awful farm system Muckler left us.

Stupid Muckler.

Old
02-19-2013, 08:46 PM
Stej
Good Canadian Kid!

Quote:
I think the reason for this, and I want to say this in the nicest way possible, is that the Jets just don't have a deep prospect pool. At all. After Sheifle and Trouba, the quality drops off very quickly. Telegin? Postma? The Jets just spent a 5th on Tangradi, and I'd say he's still better than a lot of guys in that system.

And it's not the Jets fault either. Cheveldaeoff has been a good GM, I think. Scheifle seemed like a bit of a reach when he was drafted, but he looks like he'll be a solid pick. The problem is that Don Waddell was so incompetent, so brutally bad at his job that the Thrashers were just an empty shell of a farm system when they went to Winnipeg. Cheveldaeoff is turning it around, but he needs more than a year and a half to re-stock the shelves.

And because of all this, most teams won't be jumping the gun because they probably already have two or three guys just like Postma in their system. He's nothing special. He's a nice player, but in the long run he's an average prospect. I mean, he could turn out to be a good #3-4 guy, but it's far from a sure thing, and odds are he's just a bottom pairing guy who won't hurt you and might put a few points up. And teams have those guys already. It certainly doesn't make him un-tradeable by any means... like I said, I think he's an ok prospect, but the return isn't going to be worth it for the Jets to move him, I don't think. He has more value to the Jets because they're just not as deep, prospect-wise, as some of the teams that Winnipeg would be looking to move him to.

So yeah. Not Jets-hating here. In fact, I think it's the opposite: I empathize with you guys. The Sens farm system looked really similar after our Cup run in 2007: one or two decent prospects, and after that a barren wasteland. I remember the days when we had high hopes for Josh Hennessey. Josh Hennessey! Not fun times, man. You can draw a direct link from our post-'07 high to us missing the playoffs 2 of the past 4 years to that awful farm system Muckler left us.

Stupid Muckler.
How is the prospect pool depth relevant to this thread? My point was that I peg Postma as a 5-6 defensman with top 4 upside, exactly like you said. I'd rather keep him than trade him for what he seems to be worth on the trade boards (like a 5th rounder in the NYR thread).

But since you are so worried about it, I agree that the prospect pool was shallow but that is changing fast. Currently 6 picks in the top 90 this year and counting if the struggles continue and we are sellers at the deadline. I'd also add Lowry to Schief and Trouba in your list of notable prospects, but probably no one outside of the Jets board would.

And we got Tangradi for a 7th rounder BTW.

Old
02-19-2013, 08:53 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stej View Post
How is the prospect pool depth relevant to this thread? My point was that I peg Postma as a 5-6 defensman with top 4 upside, exactly like you said. I'd rather keep him than trade him for what he seems to be worth on the trade boards (like a 5th rounder in the NYR thread).

But since you are so worried about it, I agree that the prospect pool was shallow but that is changing fast. Currently 6 picks in the top 90 this year and counting if the struggles continue and we are sellers at the deadline. I'd also add Lowry to Schief and Trouba in your list of notable prospects, but probably no one outside of the Jets board would.

And we got Tangradi for a 7th rounder BTW.
Haha, I guess I could have been clearer.
1) Jets might value Postma more because the prospect pool is shallow
2) Other teams don't value him as highly.
3) Won't return as much in a trade as some fans might want.
4) as a result, probably better for the Jets to hold on to him and see how it all unfolds.
5) post was longer than it might have been because I wanted to treat the subject with respect, instead of the typical "other teams prospects suck, lulz" attitude that is pervasive on these boards.
6) Tangradi, indeed, was acquired for a 7th. I must have just subconsciously lumped him in with the Ellerby & Loktionov deals.
7) John Muckler can still suck my balls.

Old
02-19-2013, 09:36 PM
Stej
Good Canadian Kid!

Quote:
Haha, I guess I could have been clearer.
1) Jets might value Postma more because the prospect pool is shallow
2) Other teams don't value him as highly.
3) Won't return as much in a trade as some fans might want.
4) as a result, probably better for the Jets to hold on to him and see how it all unfolds.
5) post was longer than it might have been because I wanted to treat the subject with respect, instead of the typical "other teams prospects suck, lulz" attitude that is pervasive on these boards.
6) Tangradi, indeed, was acquired for a 7th. I must have just subconsciously lumped him in with the Ellerby & Loktionov deals.
7) John Muckler can still suck my balls.
Haha, I think we're in agreement.

Old
02-19-2013, 10:01 PM
Huffer

Good posts BonkTastic. I agree that most franchises have Postma type players, the reasons for my views on his value has to do with what he has done with his opportunity in the AHL. In the last 3 seasons in the AHL he's put up .70 ppg and has been an all-star.

Not saying that that makes him worth the moon and the stars, but that makes him a little more valuable than a generic D prospect who hasn't IMO.