Closed Thread

Old
02-19-2013, 04:38 PM
untouchable21
You've been TROUBA'D

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by untouchable21 View Post
Not really sold on Pulock. He's definitely an interesting prospect, but again, there are just so many other options that are equally talented and are of greater need.

If they do in fact target a defenseman, I'd rather it be Ristolainen, Zadorov, or Nurse, but the way things are shaping up, it's not out of the question that they will be selecting much higher than we anticipated. If that's the case, outside of Jones, you're going for one of the top end forwards when picking that high.

Like others have mentioned, there are some pretty good defensemem that can be had later in Steven Santini, Ian McCoshen, Robert Hagg and Dillon Heatherington.
I have been singing his praises for awhile now. The more I hear about him, the more I hope he is a guy the JETS would look at seriously drafting.

Old
02-19-2013, 04:44 PM
truck
HFB Partner

vCash: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by mondo3 View Post
I wonder how many of the top picks this year can be considered as franchise players? I mean how many of them can change the fortunes of a bad team to a good one?
My list of potential franchise players starts and ends with players that I feel can be a #1C or a #1D. I love Drouin and some wing talents, but no team wins a cup without a top notch #1C save for perhaps a couple Devils teams.

Old
02-19-2013, 05:06 PM
Sweech
COYS!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
My list of potential franchise players starts and ends with players that I feel can be a #1C or a #1D. I love Drouin and some wing talents, but no team wins a cup without a top notch #1C save for perhaps a couple Devils teams.
Drouin can potentially play C though.

Old
02-19-2013, 05:33 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
The only thing with this train of thought is you can miss out on the best player available. Draft rankings can be so overrated and tricky, everyone thinks their first round pick, especially in the top 10, will be a #1C, #1W or #1D, but truth is very few hit that mark. I'd hate to target a center only for the winger to be the best player available (ranking wise) and turn out to be the best of the draft class, even if he is a winger. Kind of like Edmonton really needing that potential top pairing defenseman (Ryan Murray?), but they opted to go with what was the concensus best player available. I think they made the right call there, but we'll see.

I am with you 100% in that we need a horse up front, a true #1 center, especially with us heading to the Western Conference. I'd just hate to draft on organizational needs and miss what is the best player.

"The ‘now’ is very good in Chicago. The ‘now’ back in the days when they were drafting first, second and third? It wasn’t very good. But the core of fans that stuck with them, if you asked them now, I betcha they’d say it was worth it.” - Kevin Cheveldayoff
Old
02-19-2013, 05:56 PM
untouchable21
You've been TROUBA'D

Not much mention of Monahan here anymore. Seems he has dropped a bit in the eyes of most. Is he too vanilla for our liking. Are he and Scheifele too much alike? Maybe that is what will draw TN to him as they are high on Scheifele.

Going into September/October he was one of my favorite prospects and I got the feeling others here were high on him, but now it seems there's more mention of Lindholm. Has he dropped that much?

What is his potential at the next level? Can he be a sure fire 1st line centre like Toews or will he max out as a very solid 2nd line centre? Who would you compare him to?

And just to touch on the need for #1 centre or defenseman discussion, I agree that they are huge needs to become successful organizations, but only if the talent level of the players in that range are the same. I wouldn't pass up on Drouin for Monahan or Lindholm and I like Monahan a lot. I just think Drouin is a notch above them.

FWIW, I don't see Drouin as a centre in the NHL even though he does have some centre playing experience.

Last edited by untouchable21: 02-20-2013 at 03:19 AM.
Old
02-19-2013, 06:00 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachy Goj View Post
The only thing with this train of thought is you can miss out on the best player available. Draft rankings can be so overrated and tricky, everyone thinks their first round pick, especially in the top 10, will be a #1C, #1W or #1D, but truth is very few hit that mark. I'd hate to target a center only for the winger to be the best player available (ranking wise) and turn out to be the best of the draft class, even if he is a winger. Kind of like Edmonton really needing that potential top pairing defenseman (Ryan Murray?), but they opted to go with what was the concensus best player available. I think they made the right call there, but we'll see.

I am with you 100% in that we need a horse up front, a true #1 center, especially with us heading to the Western Conference. I'd just hate to draft on organizational needs and miss what is the best player.
I agree with you.

I wasn't really suggesting that the Jets should pass on BPA either. I was more or less talking in generalities.

Very few elite teams are led by a winger.

Old
02-19-2013, 06:54 PM
Boreal

I like Monahan, but as untouchable21 noted, I do believe he and Scheifele are somewhat similar, but most importantly, I just do not see Monahan having an ultra high-end offensive ceiling. Of all the centres available earlier in the first round, I'd much rather have Barkov or Lindholm (not to mention MacKinnon).

Old
02-19-2013, 08:40 PM
Sweech
COYS!

Quote:
Not much mention of Monahan here anymore. Seems he has dropped a bit in the eyes of most. Is he too vanilla for our liking. Are he and Scheifele too much alike? Maybe that is what will draw TN to him as they are high on Scheifele.

Going into September/October he was one of my favorite prospects and I got the feeling others here were high on him, but now it seems there's more mention of Linholm. Has he dropped that much?

What is his potential at the next level? Can he be a sure fire 1st line centre like Toews or will he max out as a very solid 2nd line centre? Who would you compare him to?

And just to touch on the need for #1 centre or defenseman discussion, I agree that they are huge needs to become successful organizations, but only if the talent level of the players in that range are the same. I wouldn't pass up on Drouin for Monahan or Lindholm and I like Monahan a lot. I just think Drouin is a notch above them.

FWIW, I don't see Drouin as a centre in the NHL even though he does have some centre playing experience.
Monahan is fantastic. Just goes to show you how deep this draft really is frankly.

It's really just been the fact that the guys around Monahan have elevated their games as the season has progressed. Monahan has continued playing exceptionally well for a very bad team. It's hard for him to look great as the 67's traded away good players off the team to build for the future.

He honestly is very similar to Scheifele. Perhaps even a little better.

I'd imagine TNSE would love to grab him.

Old
02-19-2013, 09:25 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator
Alien Hockey Wizard

vCash: 200
Sweech: agree, the 67's are horri-bad this year, as they've shuffled the player deck quite a bit. In that 10-1 shellacking they took at the hands of Barrie, they had 4 16 year olds on the ice, for instance.

I believe that Monahan will be a good one - he might not be fast, but his skating is very strong, and he's got great hands for such a big guy. If he landed in the Jets lap and they selected him, I'd be VERY happy.

Old
02-20-2013, 12:33 PM
Sweech
COYS!

And this is why he's one of my favourite prospects in the entire draft:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=6...d=nhl:topheads

Quote:
There's so much to like about him it's ridiculous.

Old
02-20-2013, 12:41 PM
mzappa
Jets fans in space

He looks great, so many choices in the 2013 draft class...
thats why I suggest we need to trade for more high picks.

I'm jealous of Columbus is sitting pretty with their multiple picks, although I'm definitely not jealous of their team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweech View Post

Old
02-20-2013, 12:44 PM
Sweech
COYS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzappa View Post
He looks great, so many choices in the 2013 draft class...
thats why I suggest we need to trade for more high picks.

I'm jealous of Columbus is sitting pretty with their multiple picks, although I'm definitely not jealous of their team.
Everyone knows this draft is really good.

Teams will not be giving those picks up on the cheap. Imagine what we would ask for our 1st. The hope that Hainsey+Antropov (other than a very low 1st) will get it done this year is quite possibly false.

Old
02-20-2013, 01:09 PM
untouchable21
You've been TROUBA'D

I'd be thrilled if the JETS could get a late 1st in the 25 - 30 range for a package of Antropov and Hainsey.

Maybe contenders like Chicago, Boston, Anaheim, Vancouver or Pittsburgh bolster their roster for a run at the cup. Any of these teams adding both Antro and Hainsey could prove that much tougher to beat than they already are. The added depth would be huge for them.

Or middling teams like Philadelphia, San Jose or St. Louis who could be desperate to go deep or in Philly's case, just make the playoffs. Montreal????

New Jersey is out of the question as they will not trade their 1st knowing they must forfeit one either this year or next.

Old
02-20-2013, 01:40 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
I'd be thrilled if the JETS could get a late 1st in the 25 - 30 range for a package of Antropov and Hainsey.

Maybe contenders like Chicago, Boston, Anaheim, Vancouver or Pittsburgh bolster their roster for a run at the cup. Any of these teams adding both Antro and Hainsey could prove that much tougher to beat than they already are. The added depth would be huge for them.

Or middling teams like Philadelphia, San Jose or St. Louis who could be desperate to go deep or in Philly's case, just make the playoffs. Montreal????

New Jersey is out of the question as they will not trade their 1st knowing they must forfeit one either this year or next.
If you could pick freely among that group, I'd go with the Ducks. They will fall flat soon.

Old
02-20-2013, 01:42 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

i really don't understand the obsession with selling off every free agent and trying to acquire every 1st round pick you can.

Old
02-20-2013, 01:50 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind View Post
i really don't understand the obsession with selling off every free agent and trying to acquire every 1st round pick you can.
I get it IF:
  • The Jets are out of the playoff hunt
  • The players are easily replaceable (they aren't) or not coming back (don't know)
I don't get it otherwise.

Old
02-20-2013, 02:35 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
I get it IF:
  • The Jets are out of the playoff hunt
  • The players are easily replaceable (they aren't) or not coming back (don't know)
I don't get it otherwise.
agreed.

totally agree.

I hav eno problem shipping expiring ufa's out at the deadline for futures if we have obvious/easy replacements either from within or a wide open upcoming F/A market (which hasn't happened in years).

I just really don't think the jets will be that far out of the playoff picture, and we certianly don't have any suitable replacements for either of these two.

also, i'd vomit if all we got for antro and hainsey was a late first.

Not to mention we'd have to pick up quite a bit of salary just to stay at the floor wouldn't we?

Old
02-20-2013, 02:43 PM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

Quote:
agreed.

totally agree.

I hav eno problem shipping expiring ufa's out at the deadline for futures if we have obvious/easy replacements either from within or a wide open upcoming F/A market (which hasn't happened in years).

I just really don't think the jets will be that far out of the playoff picture, and we certianly don't have any suitable replacements for either of these two.

Not to mention we'd have to pick up quite a bit of salary just to stay at the floor wouldn't we?
With Bogosian, Wheeler, Little, Burmi.... (and to a lesser extent) Redmond and Postma up for new deals that will eat up some cap space. Not to mention if we take a shot at bringing The Haines back.

Old
02-20-2013, 02:44 PM
Flair Hay

vCash: 155
Quote:
agreed.

totally agree.

Late firsts aren't tossed around like candy. And you can be sure it's not a 10-15th place team that's going to be trading for them.

Hainsey has been pretty awesome this year, if we aren't re signing him, a 1st would be a good haul. Antropov is probably too slow to fetch more than a third IMO.

Old
02-20-2013, 02:55 PM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweech View Post

how good would this guy look on our D core? can you imagine a 6'6" mobile, physical, puck moving, LH shut down defensive defenseman paired with either Trouba or Bogosian for the next decade? When Dale Hunter says the things he says about this prospect you sit up and take notice.

Old
02-20-2013, 02:56 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator
Alien Hockey Wizard

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
how good would this guy look on our D core? can you imagine a 6'6" mobile, physical, puck moving, LH shut down defensive defenseman paired with either Trouba or Bogosian for the next decade? When Dale Hunter says the things he says about this prospect you sit up and take notice.
He's been on my personal radar for a while - I've watched a few of his games. Moves extremely well for a young, huge kid. Lots of potential with him, for sure.

Old
02-20-2013, 03:14 PM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

I know we want to be a big team that is tough to play against but I would take Jonathan Drouin in a heartbeat (if we ever got a shot). To me he could easily be a Claude Giroux or Patrick Kane level player and every team can use a dynamic playmaking guy like that and the kids compete level is off the charts. He is listed at 5'11" so he is not tiny either.

I know the big centre or #1 D man argument but this kid is as dynamic a junior for his age as I have seen in a while.

Old
02-20-2013, 03:18 PM
Huffer

Quote:
I know we want to be a big team that is tough to play against but I would take Jonathan Drouin in a heartbeat (if we ever got a shot). To me he could easily be a Claude Giroux or Patrick Kane level player and every team can use a dynamic playmaking guy like that and the kids compete level is off the charts. He is listed at 5'11" so he is not tiny either.

I know the big centre or #1 D man argument but this kid is as dynamic a junior for his age as I have seen in a while.
He does look good as well.

And what about Barkov? He's putting up points in a mens league that no draft eligible player has ever done.

Old
02-20-2013, 03:27 PM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
He does look good as well.

And what about Barkov? He's putting up points in a mens league that no draft eligible player has ever done.
Yea while I am at it this kid would be sensational as well. I know it seems like I love all these guys but really what’s not to like? I really love Barkov's size and skill set........definitely the clear cut #1 centre we covet. such a smooth, calm, strong centre with sick hockey IQ and huge offensive upside.

Old
02-20-2013, 03:34 PM
Huffer

Quote:
Yea while I am at it this kid would be sensational as well. I know it seems like I love all these guys but really what’s not to like? I really love Barkov's size and skill set........definitely the clear cut #1 centre we covet. such a smooth, calm, strong centre with sick hockey IQ and huge offensive upside.
Ha, that's what I was thinking as well. You read an article like Sweech posted and think, "man, Zadorov would be great here." And then you read about Jones, or Macinnon, or Drouin, or Barkov, or Monahan, or ......., and think ," man, all of these guys would be great here!"

Closed Thread