HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

STICKS - Buying Guide and Advice

Old
02-18-2013, 07:25 PM
Trl3789

vCash: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peechis View Post
Is it by chance The Natural? It looks like it's got a cloth texture to it. ( http://www.basehockey.ca/the-natural/ )
If that's it, they have a little bit on it on the comparison page ( http://www.basehockey.ca/comparison )
Yeah i saw that and it looked similar (same material), but the graphics were definitely different. Maybe it was the same stick, maybe they change the graphics up. Thanks for the response though.

Trl3789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 07:31 PM
Peechis
Rookie User

vCash: 500
It looks like the have a Natural line, or have had. Might have been a different model.

Peechis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 08:03 PM
AIREAYE

It might be the Savoy Special with the texture (possibly Polar Fibre that's on The Natural) on it.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 08:12 PM
LarryO

They have a new stick called the Supernatural. Is that what you saw?

LarryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 08:28 PM
Trl3789

vCash: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryO View Post
They have a new stick called the Supernatural. Is that what you saw?

Yep thats it, thanks so much.

Edit: i know they aren't on their website yet, but are they on sale anywhere?

Trl3789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 08:58 PM
LarryO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trl3789 View Post
Yep thats it, thanks so much.

Edit: i know they aren't on their website yet, but are they on sale anywhere?
I think the best thing to do would be to e-mail them or phone them for information.
http://www.basehockey.ca/contact/

Update: I just read on their facebook page that it will be available March 15. Until now, it was available for "testing".

Last edited by LarryO: 02-19-2013 at 12:28 PM. Reason: update
Old
02-19-2013, 06:36 AM
w00t99

Getting back into the game stick advice

Hey guys, I'm just getting back into the game are being away for a few years and even back then I was only playing pick up and rec leagues. I was wondering your thoughts on possibly picking up an intermediate vs a senior stick, I'm 5'11 and 150 pounds so I'm pretty thin and was thinking the lower flex on the intermediates could be more effective. On seniors I end up cutting like 2 inches off anyway because I like my sticks short so the flex becomes pretty stiff for me even on a 77.

w00t99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 07:36 AM
deeman

welcome back the greatest game in the world

The sticky up top has a great deal of info to answer all your stick questions. I would get a 70-75 flex intermediate stick. I just switched and like it.

deeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 11:36 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

BASE Natural might be my next stick if I splurge on another stick. Intrigued by the concept, like their blades, haven't used polar fibre in forever.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 12:24 PM
LarryO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
BASE Natural might be my next stick if I splurge on another stick. Intrigued by the concept, like their blades, haven't used polar fibre in forever.
It might have been one of my choices also if they made them in intermediate flexes, but it's only available in senior.

Old
02-19-2013, 04:50 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I think I'm popping up to 75 flex next time around. I'm not sure if the Natural is as whippy as the others, but every BASE I've tested has been 10-15 flex whippier than rated.

Old
02-19-2013, 05:54 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Quote:
I think I'm popping up to 75 flex next time around. I'm not sure if the Natural is as whippy as the others, but every BASE I've tested has been 10-15 flex whippier than rated.
Gotta post a photo of that stick collection of yours one day, Jarick.

Wilch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 06:58 PM
LarryO

Quote:
Hmmm... I started out with a couple of BASE inter 65 flex sticks, one of them bought 2 years ago and the other one 1 year ago. This year I decided to try their 55 flex. What's odd is that the flex difference between the older 65's and the new 55's is barely noticeable. And I don't think my 65 flex sticks lost that much stiffness. The 55 flex sticks aren't as whippy as I hoped/expected, and feel similar to 60 and 65 flex sticks of other brands, but they're doing the job and may soften a bit in time. So it's a little weird and makes me wonder if they updated their flex ratings this year. Or maybe it's just a quirk in their manufacturing of those two inter flexes.

BTW, since the Natural is a mid kickpoint, it might feel a bit whippier than a Savoy Special of the same flex rating.

Old
02-21-2013, 06:55 AM
Jumpavleau

vCash: 50
Newbiest of newbs here. I'm going to be taking up hockey, starting with skating lessons next month.

I have a question about cross-dominance and stick handedness. I write and eat lefty, throw/bat righty, shoot a gun right handed but try to aim with my left eye. Yes, that doesn't work very well, I'm a terrible shot.

My question is, after fooling around at my LHS, it felt more comfortable shooting righty, but poke-checking lefty. Just to make sure I'm clear on the definitions of handedness, I mean I felt more comfortable shooting with my left hand on top and right hand on the shaft, while I felt like I had more control of one-handed functions with my right hand.

Assuming I'm understanding the functions of both, do you guys think it would be easier for me to learn to shoot lefty or poke check, puck handle, etc., righty? I'm pretty confident that each way felt more comfortable for specific tasks, but should I go the flat blade route and just play both ways for a bit? I'm just worried I'm going to end up playing righty, then grab the butt end with my right hand to poke check lol

I also want to tack on an unrelated question here, since you're all very knowledgable. If there's a better place, I'd be happy to take it there.

I'm 29 and played sports at a relatively high level (baseball, and to a much lesser degree, american football and basketball) until I fractured my L5 vertebrae roughly 10 years ago. After my recovery I became very sedentary. In the last few years I've really come to love the game of hockey and am using it as an avenue to get active again. I'm 5'8" 180 lbs and am extremely out of shape. Cardio is horrendous, I can usually last a couple minutes on my spinning bike before I have to jump off because I'm sucking serious wind. For those that have gone through beginner skating classes, will they be a good work out? Something that can double as a good primer to a light cardio regimen at home? With the intention that the more advanced classes, then eventually rec games will all serve to ramp up to a suitable cardio base.

I've just never been an exercise for exercises sake kind of guy, most of my exercise even back in my heyday took place on the field and had an aspect of fun to it. I just could never get excited like that about the weight room. I'm hoping hockey can do that for me again.

Thanks guys.

Jumpavleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 11:21 AM
TieClark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpavleau View Post
Newbiest of newbs here. I'm going to be taking up hockey, starting with skating lessons next month.

I have a question about cross-dominance and stick handedness. I write and eat lefty, throw/bat righty, shoot a gun right handed but try to aim with my left eye. Yes, that doesn't work very well, I'm a terrible shot.

My question is, after fooling around at my LHS, it felt more comfortable shooting righty, but poke-checking lefty. Just to make sure I'm clear on the definitions of handedness, I mean I felt more comfortable shooting with my left hand on top and right hand on the shaft, while I felt like I had more control of one-handed functions with my right hand.

Assuming I'm understanding the functions of both, do you guys think it would be easier for me to learn to shoot lefty or poke check, puck handle, etc., righty? I'm pretty confident that each way felt more comfortable for specific tasks, but should I go the flat blade route and just play both ways for a bit? I'm just worried I'm going to end up playing righty, then grab the butt end with my right hand to poke check lol

I also want to tack on an unrelated question here, since you're all very knowledgable. If there's a better place, I'd be happy to take it there.

I'm 29 and played sports at a relatively high level (baseball, and to a much lesser degree, american football and basketball) until I fractured my L5 vertebrae roughly 10 years ago. After my recovery I became very sedentary. In the last few years I've really come to love the game of hockey and am using it as an avenue to get active again. I'm 5'8" 180 lbs and am extremely out of shape. Cardio is horrendous, I can usually last a couple minutes on my spinning bike before I have to jump off because I'm sucking serious wind. For those that have gone through beginner skating classes, will they be a good work out? Something that can double as a good primer to a light cardio regimen at home? With the intention that the more advanced classes, then eventually rec games will all serve to ramp up to a suitable cardio base.

I've just never been an exercise for exercises sake kind of guy, most of my exercise even back in my heyday took place on the field and had an aspect of fun to it. I just could never get excited like that about the weight room. I'm hoping hockey can do that for me again.

Thanks guys.
To what hand you should shoot: Based on what you said definitely shoot right. The poke checking and what not comes along with practice, but if you're trying to shoot with the opposite handedness it's going to be damn near impossible. Ignore when you have 1 hand on your stick, whatever feels more comfortable with the puck and 2 hands on your stick is what you should go with. (For what it's worth, I can't do anything left handed and yet I feel completely comfortable with my left hand for poke checking after playing for a long time)

As for the workout: A beginners class will most definitely still be a cardio workout. It will also be a legs workout as well... don't be surprised if your calves and legs are burning at the end. As you work your way up it gets more and more intense for sure but you do get used to it. I'm the exact same way with exercise... hate it, don't do it unless it's fun. Hockey is basically the only exercise I get and I'm still in decent enough shape to go hard for a game when I play it regularly.

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 01:45 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
Gotta post a photo of that stick collection of yours one day, Jarick.
It's not that impressive...

Bauer Nexus 600 - 60 flex P92
Warrior Covert DT2 - 55 flex Kopitar
Miken Z9 - 65 flex BP14

I think that's it for one pieces.

Shafts:

Easton SE16 - 75 flex (cut from one piece)
TPS R2 - 65 flex (cut from one piece)

Blades:

Easton Synergy - Forsberg
Base - 4.75 lie Drury
Assorted Easton wood tapered blades

I've had probably 50+ sticks since I started in 2005. Gonna start a thread on that

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryO View Post
Hmmm... I started out with a couple of BASE inter 65 flex sticks, one of them bought 2 years ago and the other one 1 year ago. This year I decided to try their 55 flex. What's odd is that the flex difference between the older 65's and the new 55's is barely noticeable. And I don't think my 65 flex sticks lost that much stiffness. The 55 flex sticks aren't as whippy as I hoped/expected, and feel similar to 60 and 65 flex sticks of other brands, but they're doing the job and may soften a bit in time. So it's a little weird and makes me wonder if they updated their flex ratings this year. Or maybe it's just a quirk in their manufacturing of those two inter flexes.

BTW, since the Natural is a mid kickpoint, it might feel a bit whippier than a Savoy Special of the same flex rating.
Hmm...well I've met with the local BASE rep several times and a couple teammates had their sticks (and since moved on). I always felt they were very whippy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpavleau View Post

Hmm....you write with your left hand? If so and from what you say I'd play with a right hand stick.

Old
02-22-2013, 12:21 PM
esidebill

Hello,

I've been using an Easton ST Sakic 115 flex that I cut down about 2-3 inches. I feel like it's a nice stick, but sometimes the lift and passes can be a detriment. Also, I feel the flex might be a little too stiff.

I'm 6'5 around 210-220. I rarely take slap shots and rely on quick release wrist shots and snap shots. No big windups or anything fancy. I occasionally need a backhand if I'm around the crease or cutting across it.

Was wondering what curve/flex might help me out overall. Thanks.

esidebill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 12:37 PM
AIREAYE

Reasoning would recommend that you try something in the 90-100 range.

Old
02-22-2013, 12:38 PM
MJAYK

Quote:
Originally Posted by esidebill View Post
Hello,

I've been using an Easton ST Sakic 115 flex that I cut down about 2-3 inches. I feel like it's a nice stick, but sometimes the lift and passes can be a detriment. Also, I feel the flex might be a little too stiff.

I'm 6'5 around 210-220. I rarely take slap shots and rely on quick release wrist shots and snap shots. No big windups or anything fancy. I occasionally need a backhand if I'm around the crease or cutting across it.

Was wondering what curve/flex might help me out overall. Thanks.
Just head down to your local store and try different flexes out. As it has been mentioned in some threads here around the rink, different models of sticks vary remarkably in flex even the rating is the same.

MJAYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 01:25 PM
esidebill

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Reasoning would recommend that you try something in the 90-100 range.
Any curve recommendations?

esidebill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 02:31 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by esidebill View Post
Any curve recommendations?
Sounds like your shots and passes are too high and hard to control?

If you want less loft but are happy with your blade angle to the ice (i.e. passes are going under the toe), go with a P88/Iginla.

If you want less loft and a flatter rocker and lower lie, go PM9/Cammalleri.

Old
02-22-2013, 03:16 PM
AIREAYE

esidebill, keep in mind though that curve is very much personal preference. You may find that you cannot use you current curve now, but with time, you'll grow to like it. That being said, the only way to build on preferences for any piece of gear is to try them over time.

Old
02-26-2013, 08:26 PM
Vip
IFHY

vCash: 50
Anyone ever try sticks from Combat? I'm thinking of getting one.

Vip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 09:12 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Quote:
It's not that impressive...

Bauer Nexus 600 - 60 flex P92
Warrior Covert DT2 - 55 flex Kopitar
Miken Z9 - 65 flex BP14

Was expecting more, guessing you broke most of your older ones?

Do you keep your broken sticks around?

Wilch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 01:04 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
Was expecting more, guessing you broke most of your older ones?

Do you keep your broken sticks around?
You can see my giant thread about sticks down below...

I've only broken maybe half a dozen sticks. Most of the time I've sold or given them away.