HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Best Way for the Oilers to get an impact player

Closed Thread

Old
12-18-2003, 01:38 PM
Asiaoil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by speeds
No doubt in my mind that it is a perfect time to "embrace the horror" and have a real quick reload here to get ready for the post-lockout era.

Oilers are a rebuilding club that honestly would be best served by moving as many of Smith, Laraque, Isbister, Dvorak***, Cross, Ferguson, Staois*** and Smyth*** as possible by the end of January. Load up on picks, hopefully pick top 10 this year, and come out swinging post lockout.
You've wanted this for ages speeds - and now I'm with you but with a few qualifiers. The team is not served by having everyone aged 22-24. Cross, Staios, Dvorak and Smyth can stay as vet leaders. As for who goes:

Smith - if we can sign him before the trade deadline for 2 more years at 2.4 and 2.6 million then I'd do that. If it looks like he'll go arb on us then trade him at the deadline - the return will be impressive.

Laraque - another deadline deal for a team getting ready for playoffs because everyone know that this is where BG excels. A goalie prospect would be a nice return.

Salo - anything absolutely anything would be a good return because it's very clear that he's lost it and it isn't coming back. Salo has simply not worked hard enough to maintain his skills. Worst case scenario is we dont pick up his options and wave goodbye this summer.

Fergy - a throw-in on a trade in March or just not re-signed

Isbister - this is tough because the guy needs to figure out who he is. He's not ever going to be Bertuzzi - but he could be an absolutely dynamite 3rd line RW on a line with Reasoner and Moreau. These guys have everything you need to play against opposition top lines - big, fast, tough, skilled. On a lot of nights they could do real damage 5 on 5 against top lines. Two things have to happen though - Izzy has to buy into this the same way Marty did - and he has to sign a contract like Moreau's (less dough for more years). If that doesn't happen - then yeah trade him.

Old
12-18-2003, 01:40 PM
Yanner39

Quote:
Any idea what I'm gonna say here lowetide ?

6 points behind CAL...

they have 2 games in hand.

ANA and DAL are dogs right now, but teams like that almost always have a hot streak, hotter than EDM can get.

It is early, but it was a tough battle from the start of the year when we were all even. It's tougher now.

No doubt in my mind that it is a perfect time to "embrace the horror" and have a real quick reload here to get ready for the post-lockout era.

Oilers are a rebuilding club that honestly would be best served by moving as many of Smith, Laraque, Isbister, Dvorak***, Cross, Ferguson, Staois*** and Smyth*** as possible by the end of January. Load up on picks, hopefully pick top 10 this year, and come out swinging post lockout. And of course Salo for anything if you can, though the way he's playing the cynic in me thinks you keep splitting the games hoping Salo catches fire, and as soon as he does maybe you can move him at the deadline for a pick of some sort, in case someone wants insurance in goal.

*** - indicates only move if you get a pretty damn good return.
You can't gut the team as well. Players like Smyth, Dvorak, Staios and Isbister could certainly be part of a post-2004 Oiler team. Even if we get good prospects for these players, the Oilers still won't be competitive well beyond 2004.

Plus, as far as giving up on this season, I think it's a bit pre-mature. I mean, as much as Dallas and Anaheim can go on a hot streak, so can the OIlers. Also, I'm not sold on Cgy and Nashville. When they get reasonner back and Oates gets his groove, improving the PP and PK (hopefully), the OIlers will win their share of games.

Now I must qualify this by saying that at the beginning of the season, I thought the Oilers had a chance at 5th place in the conference, so don't hold me to this.

Old
12-18-2003, 02:18 PM
speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiaoil
You've wanted this for ages speeds - and now I'm with you but with a few qualifiers. The team is not served by having everyone aged 22-24. Cross, Staios, Dvorak and Smyth can stay as vet leaders. As for who goes:
I can agree on all of those guys, that's why I put *** by 3 of them. I would move those guys if I got great offers for them, but the last 3 (along with Moreau) are vets that I'd keep barring great deals. Cross I coudl take or leave, but I'll certainly concede that it wouldn't hurt ot have him IF Smith is dealt. You don't want to end up FLA young on the backend, though it would be close here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiaoil
Smith - if we can sign him before the trade deadline for 2 more years at 2.4 and 2.6 million then I'd do that. If it looks like he'll go arb on us then trade him at the deadline - the return will be impressive.:
agreed, at arb with the stats he's put up there's almost no way he wouldn't get 3mil +++, which is probably too much. It could be affordable with Salo gone etc, but if you can get a good return at the deadline (and you would get a great one IMO) it makes more sense from a team standpoint, IMO, to move him. If he'll sign reasonably on a 2-3 year extension, great, but I wouldn't count on it.

Quote:
Laraque - another deadline deal for a team getting ready for playoffs because everyone know that this is where BG excels. A goalie prospect would be a nice return.
he's the exact guy someone overpays for, and at his salary he makes sense to trade. An automatic IMO unless he truly does sell enough tickets to keep him around, I don't have any info on that.

Quote:
Salo - anything absolutely anything would be a good return because it's very clear that he's lost it and it isn't coming back. Salo has simply not worked hard enough to maintain his skills. Worst case scenario is we dont pick up his options and wave goodbye this summer.

Fergy - a throw-in on a trade in March or just not re-signed
no doubt

Quote:
Isbister - this is tough because the guy needs to figure out who he is. He's not ever going to be Bertuzzi - but he could be an absolutely dynamite 3rd line RW on a line with Reasoner and Moreau. These guys have everything you need to play against opposition top lines - big, fast, tough, skilled. On a lot of nights they could do real damage 5 on 5 against top lines. Two things have to happen though - Izzy has to buy into this the same way Marty did - and he has to sign a contract like Moreau's (less dough for more years). If that doesn't happen - then yeah trade him.
agreed

Old
12-18-2003, 02:47 PM
kingbrath

get rid of Salo and someone else and resign Cujo...he thrives on teams that are underdogs and played some of his best hockey in Edmonton...I think that the goaltending in Edmonton has to be better....I mean just look at the flames with Kiprosof

Old
12-18-2003, 02:49 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brath
get rid of Salo and someone else and resign Cujo...he thrives on teams that are underdogs and played some of his best hockey in Edmonton...I think that the goaltending in Edmonton has to be better....I mean just look at the flames with Kiprosof
So then why wouldn't the Oilers just stick with Conklin, instead of bringing in the $8mil man?

Old
12-18-2003, 02:56 PM
momentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brath
I mean just look at the flames with Kiprosof
There's a big advantage there. Why? Darryl Sutter. He worked with Kipper for a long time and knew what he was capable of. That being said... I'm very happy that Kipper is doing great in Calgary. I always thought he would be a good goaltender.

Now... on to Mathieu Garon. :p

Old
12-18-2003, 04:09 PM
Lowetide

As expected, solid takes from everyone. I think this team will look alot different post cba, with guys like Mikhnov and Lynch ready to step in, and next summer's draft shaping up as huge.

The team post cba will still have alot of youth. I wonder if coach MacT is the best person to have behind the bench?

That's probably for another thread.

Old
12-18-2003, 04:14 PM
speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
As expected, solid takes from everyone. I think this team will look alot different post cba, with guys like Mikhnov and Lynch ready to step in, and next summer's draft shaping up as huge.

The team post cba will still have alot of youth. I wonder if coach MacT is the best person to have behind the bench?

That's probably for another thread.
probable lineup changes for next year, off the top of my head, would be

Fergie out (UFA) Woywitka in, but even that's no given, I have no problem at all with keeping Fergie as a cheap 7th, but if you do that you need to make room elsewhere for Woy (assuming he's ready, of course)

Salo out, ??? in - I always take this as a given, but is it really? Who knows.

Old
12-18-2003, 04:31 PM
momentai

Quote:
Fergie out (UFA) Woywitka in, but even that's no given, I have no problem at all with keeping Fergie as a cheap 7th, but if you do that you need to make room elsewhere for Woy (assuming he's ready, of course)
There's always the possibilty of Lynch being ready as well. It something that has to be taken into accoutn as a possible outcome as well as Woywitka being ready.

So we'll have Semenov and Brewer presumably our young core. Staios and Cross the veteran presence. And the question marks??? of Jason Smith, M.A. Bergeron, Woywitka (who has been said to be as ready as this month), Lynch, and even Ferguson should he resign...

Closed Thread