HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Booing at Wild (home) games

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-19-2013, 03:31 PM
  #51
DeuceMN
Really?
 
DeuceMN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Chi-Town, Il
Country: United States
Posts: 2,002
vCash: 50
If it's Ohlund, I still boo if it's just me in my jersey by myself watching at home Scares the cat some...

Fiancee will sometimes come in the room and be like "What the hell are you doing?!" Ah well...it's the joy of being a Wild fan I guess... We do never see that rat **** anymore though.

I never boo excessively at games. It is only when the team consistently plays poorly and are just dragging their ***** up and down the ice, making sloppy plays and acting like they don't give a ****.

I played sports for 20 years. If you don't care anymore, then don't play. If you're making millions a year doing that, you better care, no excuses. If you cant find enough passion to play a game you're getting paid a king's ransom to do, something most people would sell their children to do, then you better expect to get your ass boo'd.

If my team is not winning, but they are doing the best they can, I'll cheer them on. I want to see that they care as much as I do; they should care more, this is their livelihood.

DeuceMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 03:43 PM
  #52
Kaptain
I am Jax
 
Kaptain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 4,426
vCash: 50
When we're playing like ****, the boos are great.

Kaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 04:05 PM
  #53
tomgilbertfan
CRAAAWWWFFFOOORD
 
tomgilbertfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 8,098
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
Well Florida has no income tax.

tomgilbertfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 04:44 PM
  #54
theButton
Registered User
 
theButton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 40
vCash: 500
Never been much of a booer

theButton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 04:51 PM
  #55
651*
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Capital of MN 651
Country: United States
Posts: 2,601
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportserie View Post
I totally see what you mean here. I have a friend from BC who of course has talked about the Vancouver/Calgary rivalry. The Canuck fans often make fun of how silent Calgary fans are during games. You can hear a pin drop sometimes, they are so quiet but it's due to taking in the game. That are really that serious while watching the game because they care about the sport so much. They only get loud when something exciting happens. Otherwise, they are silently studying, watching the game.

In this case, the Flames fans are not remotely uninterested and without passion and care, just the opposite. I kind of think that's cool.


Oh, I definitely hate the "shoot" bit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granlund 64 View Post
I'm very much similar to the fans in Calgary in that respect. I'm too busy paying attention to the game to boo.
I've always thought it like that as well. Similar to never hearing booing in college.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy BoBandy View Post
There are times when I feel bad for the guys when the score isn't reflective of work the guys have been putting in and they get booed. They need cheering to get them going, not booing.

I think we should start saying score instead of shoot.
Exactly, and honestly that's what I believe sparked my topic here. When they are busting their butts and getting their oppurtunities yet the pucks aren't getting by, I HATE it when the crowd boos that crap. Totally displays lack of knowledge on those fans' part when we outplay and yet they still boo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomgilbertfan View Post
If I paid for a ticket and the team is playing like crap you bet I'm gonna boo. I need to voice my displeasure somehow. What else am I going to do, some Bronx cheers? I'm more than ok with booing, it makes you look anything but "unknowledgeable" .
To me, in quite a few cases, that's exactly what it makes you look like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
Booing just makes you look like an ass.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Dampland View Post

Also, how many times do you see players get interviewed and they mention how they like to play in front of knowledgeable fans like in Minnesota. In many interviews, I have heard players say ... "they know when to cheer... penalty kills, etc., and they also boo us when we deserve to be booed."

So if the players don't see anything wrong with it, why should I.
I've never seen players get into being booed by their troops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post

Maybe on the margins, you get players a tiny bit more motivated. But it's going to make Minnesota less appealing place to play for hockey players. There is a reason a lot of free agents avoid Canadian franchises - even when they are Canadian.
That's another thing I have an issue with; how many more elite players - never mind that, just solid NHLers - would want to come to a "home" area to be greeted by hostility? It's counterproductive, most certainly in that instance.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaps View Post

Besides, the booing is disturbing and makes watching the game more difficult to me. That's another reason I hate it.
I am with you on this point as well, one hundred percent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomgilbertfan View Post
The higher taxes?
Their dollar is stronger than our right now, but from province to province and state to state there are a number of variables that will go into it, as pointed out above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckInTheNards View Post
I've always hated it. It seems counterproductive to demotivate your team.


Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
i think some people are just so into booing now they'll boo anything. offsides, the first PP of the night where the puck goes out of the zone, etc etc. I have a higher threshold I guess. Speaking of passion and apathy, I think booing too often just pushes players toward apathy...They know they're having a bad game, they probably have the coach riding them, and the fans booing a ****ing offsides? Yeah, that's really going to encourage them to try harder. At best it just becomes white noise and doesn't register anymore.
But it makes the fans happy so there's that.

edit: also have to point out that the most frequent Booers are the same people who yell shoot every time the puck touches someone's stick on the PP. every. time. in my experience. so, basically, idiots. team deserves booing sometimes, and guys pass up shots too often, but it's like people can't even figure out what's going on...just boo.
True!

651* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 06:00 PM
  #56
Avder
Global Moderator
Is it October yet?
 
Avder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The ANGRY DOME
Country: United States
Posts: 31,580
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 651 View Post
What's this all about? It seems to be pretty prevalent at our home games and I find it really classless, certainly in games we are in or are close. You didn't even hear it at Isles or Panther games yesterday in which both teams got beat pretty handily. A close second pet peeve is the people who insist on yelling "shooooooooot!"when we're on the PP. WTH?

It's like, c'mon, dudes. We're the most knowledgeable fans in the entire country and should know better.

2cents
Well, the team went out and got a couple magnum upgrades this offseason. They re-did a good portion of the roster, lost a lot of dead weight, and we have a couple highly touted rookies. That raises expectations, especially considering the start we had last year.

And it's not like it started in game 1. No, it started after it became apparent that this string of mediocre to poor games wasnt just the result of a shortened training camp and no pre-season.

So people are fed up, and they are tired of managing their expectations. At this point they expect their expectations to be met because this team should be more than capable of that much.

Avder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 06:24 PM
  #57
Sneaky Priest
See you Nov. 2
 
Sneaky Priest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Lino Lakes
Country: United States
Posts: 1,592
vCash: 500
I'm pretty passionate about this topic. I will never boo any of my teams under any circumstances. Booing your team, and booing in general is completely pointless, there is a REALLY good chance that if the team is doing something worth booing about they already know what they are doing isn't good. It's not like the players are saying, "OH! I hear the fans booing i must be playing poorly." 99 times of out 100 they already know how crappy they are playing. I'm of the firm belief that if anything it hurts their morale, but that's just me. As fans we should encourage instead of complaining even if the performance of the team warrants boos. As far as the "fans" who yell "shoot" all the time. They should all be slapped upside the head. Not only is it once again pointless to yell shoot, people who do make themselves look like completely f-ing idiots.

Sneaky Priest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 06:45 PM
  #58
BigT2002
Registered User
 
BigT2002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: some other continent
Country: United States
Posts: 12,530
vCash: 50
I don't boo, but I will certainly call out players that are dogging it out there. People need to be engaged in the game. I hate going to them during the weekdays and it sounds like a damn tennis match is going on with the amount of crickets you can hear. That is one aspect that makes it so much harder to play in places like Bell Centre or even United. It is loud and the fans are passionate. It is pathetic when people look at you with disgust because of some stupid ass unwritten rule of MN Nice in the building.

Had a guy from CT at the game on Sunday who was heckling the crap out of some Detroit fans at Eagle. They were looking at him like he was trying to touch them. I had to explain to the fans (who were from MN and only Wings fans because they "win" as they said) that it is an East Coast mentality of heckling when out in public in another team's jersey.

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 08:06 PM
  #59
651*
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Capital of MN 651
Country: United States
Posts: 2,601
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
stupid ass unwritten rule of MN Nice in the building.
Where is this unwritten rule? Considering the way we boo our guys I don't see it.

651* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 08:13 PM
  #60
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil
 
Victorious Secret's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Arkansas
Country: Ireland
Posts: 11,212
vCash: 16145
Still have to pay Federal income tax in Florida.

Victorious Secret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 08:15 PM
  #61
NHLPodium
Registered User
 
NHLPodium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 236
vCash: 743
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
I don't boo, but I will certainly call out players that are dogging it out there. People need to be engaged in the game. I hate going to them during the weekdays and it sounds like a damn tennis match is going on with the amount of crickets you can hear. That is one aspect that makes it so much harder to play in places like Bell Centre or even United. It is loud and the fans are passionate. It is pathetic when people look at you with disgust because of some stupid ass unwritten rule of MN Nice in the building.
Man after my own heart. I am very outspoken at how quiet we are, I can't stand it.

As for yelling "shoot" I don't get the hate. We are a pass happy team and it drives many fans insane. Yelling shoot is like booing the pass happy offense we have, which I fully endorse. People always say "people who yell shoot know nothing about hockey and are idiots blah blah blah." I guess to make themselves feel like great hockey minds, but if you really paid attention you'd see there's usually a good rationale for yelling shoot.

NHLPodium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 08:20 PM
  #62
Blizzard6411
#benchstoner
 
Blizzard6411's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Seattle
Country: United States
Posts: 1,493
vCash: 500
I always get a chuckle out of the "people who do or say stuff i don't like know nothing about hockey" arguments.

Blizzard6411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 08:20 PM
  #63
NHLPodium
Registered User
 
NHLPodium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 236
vCash: 743
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneaky Priest View Post
As fans we should encourage instead of complaining even if the performance of the team warrants boos.
So if the wild were to lose every game in a season, you would want to encourage that?

NHLPodium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 08:25 PM
  #64
rynryn
Progress to the Mean
 
rynryn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Minny
Country: United States
Posts: 21,424
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLPodium View Post
So if the wild were to lose every game in a season, you would want to encourage that?
positive reinforcement isn't a new concept.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 08:29 PM
  #65
BigT2002
Registered User
 
BigT2002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: some other continent
Country: United States
Posts: 12,530
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 651 View Post
Where is this unwritten rule? Considering the way we boo our guys I don't see it.
You think that is booing?? Not even close. I had a couple a few rows ahead of me complaining to the usher because, and I quote: "these damn kids think this is a college game, I paid good money to not listen to people swear and boo." YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME. Our fanbase reminds me of Glen from Talladega Nights sometimes.



Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLPodium View Post
Man after my own heart. I am very outspoken at how quiet we are, I can't stand it.

As for yelling "shoot" I don't get the hate. We are a pass happy team and it drives many fans insane. Yelling shoot is like booing the pass happy offense we have, which I fully endorse. People always say "people who yell shoot know nothing about hockey and are idiots blah blah blah." I guess to make themselves feel like great hockey minds, but if you really paid attention you'd see there's usually a good rationale for yelling shoot.
I don't mind holding it to get a great shot, but it is almost like they wait on purpose because they are afraid if they miss we will boo. I remember a few years ago against Florida in that horrendous game cheering like crazy (along with 17K other people) when they finally got a shot on damn net.

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 08:29 PM
  #66
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem
 
this providence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: St. Paul
Posts: 9,653
vCash: 500
<-- Sits in my seat and doesn't make any noise greater than clapping.

__________________

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 08:30 PM
  #67
NHLPodium
Registered User
 
NHLPodium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 236
vCash: 743
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
positive reinforcement isn't a new concept.
Strange, because during the last GDT against the wings for the first period I saw the complete opposite from everyone on this board. Positive reinforcement may exist, but definitely shouldn't for teams that play terribly.

If you go to a restaurant and they start doing an awful job of making the food and serving you, are you going to positively encourage them?

NHLPodium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 08:32 PM
  #68
BigT2002
Registered User
 
BigT2002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: some other continent
Country: United States
Posts: 12,530
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLPodium View Post
Strange, because during the last GDT against the wings for the first period I saw the complete opposite from everyone on this board. Positive reinforcement may exist, but definitely shouldn't for teams that play terribly.

If you go to a restaurant and they start doing an awful job of making the food and serving you, are you going to positively encourage them?
I love the double standard that some people have (not this board but just in general) about not being openly vocal at a game you are paying good money for, but if you're at home it is perfectly alright to cuss up a storm and be negative about what the team is doing. Not one player is hearing your random banter at the game, let alone when you're yelling at the TV.

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 08:35 PM
  #69
rynryn
Progress to the Mean
 
rynryn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Minny
Country: United States
Posts: 21,424
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLPodium View Post
Strange, because during the last GDT against the wings for the first period I saw the complete opposite from everyone on this board. Positive reinforcement may exist, but definitely shouldn't for teams that play terribly.

If you go to a restaurant and they start doing an awful job of making the food and serving you, are you going to positively encourage them?
yes, if i want to eat there. not encouraging--positively encouraging corrected behavior. that isn't as easy to do as a fan because there's little access to the players etc but it doesn't pay to berate the waitstaff at a place you plan on returning to.

Message boards are about venting. there is ****-all that is constructive going on here. it's a forum for spitting out ideas.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 08:35 PM
  #70
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect
 
MuckOG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Right behind you....
Country: United States
Posts: 6,157
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
I don't mind holding it to get a great shot, but it is almost like they wait on purpose because they are afraid if they miss we will boo. I remember a few years ago against Florida in that horrendous game cheering like crazy (along with 17K other people) when they finally got a shot on damn net.
I don't think anyone is holding the puck because they are "afraid"...there are many things happening on the ice very quickly, and the last thing they are thinking about is crowd reaction. They might be looking for guys to get in position and create traffic in front of the net or they might be trying to get a shooting lane to open up....they might also be running a set play and are waiting for another player to get into position...it could be many things.

What they WON'T do is rush a shot that could get blocked and send the opponents on an odd-man rush in the other direction, all because they are afraid the crown might boo them for being patient with the puck.

MuckOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 08:37 PM
  #71
rynryn
Progress to the Mean
 
rynryn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Minny
Country: United States
Posts: 21,424
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
I love the double standard that some people have (not this board but just in general) about not being openly vocal at a game you are paying good money for, but if you're at home it is perfectly alright to cuss up a storm and be negative about what the team is doing. Not one player is hearing your random banter at the game, let alone when you're yelling at the TV.
think about this: its fine to scream obsceneties at a chick who wont let you merge but if you were face to face with her you wouldn't do it. or if you did, you would be universally looked at as some raging retard with social problems.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 08:37 PM
  #72
NHLPodium
Registered User
 
NHLPodium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 236
vCash: 743
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post

I don't mind holding it to get a great shot, but it is almost like they wait on purpose because they are afraid if they miss we will boo. I remember a few years ago against Florida in that horrendous game cheering like crazy (along with 17K other people) when they finally got a shot on damn net.
Absolutely. I'm fine with them holding out for something better, but sometimes it just gets painful and I'll say shoot under my breath or at talking volume level. This happens like once or twice a game at most (unless we have some of those classic powerplays). I am pretty introverted but for some reason when I'm at a hockey game I get pretty passionate, and I understand and admire other people as passionate as me or more passionate so as long as they aren't interrupting my viewing.

People standing up looking at the cameras annoy me far more than anything verbal, cause they interrupt my viewing.

NHLPodium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 08:40 PM
  #73
BigT2002
Registered User
 
BigT2002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: some other continent
Country: United States
Posts: 12,530
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
think about this: its fine to scream obsceneties at a chick who wont let you merge but if you were face to face with her you wouldn't do it. or if you did, you would be universally looked at as some raging retard with social problems.
Maybe it is my east coast kicking it, but that sounds like passive aggressiveness at its finest. Nothing wrong with it because this is quite a happy area in comparison

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLPodium View Post
Absolutely. I'm fine with them holding out for something better, but sometimes it just gets painful and I'll say shoot under my breath or at talking volume level. This happens like once or twice a game at most (unless we have some of those classic powerplays). I am pretty introverted but for some reason when I'm at a hockey game I get pretty passionate, and I understand and admire other people as passionate as me or more passionate so as long as they aren't interrupting my viewing.

People standing up looking at the cameras annoy me far more than anything verbal, cause they interrupt my viewing.
WAIT FOR THE WHISTLE!!

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 08:43 PM
  #74
rynryn
Progress to the Mean
 
rynryn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Minny
Country: United States
Posts: 21,424
vCash: 50
just sayin people around you while you were screaming at the chick would probably resent you. if you were on the east coast they'd probably gang up on you.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 08:45 PM
  #75
NHLPodium
Registered User
 
NHLPodium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 236
vCash: 743
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
Message boards are about venting. there is ****-all that is constructive going on here. it's a forum for spitting out ideas.
Personally I'd rather vent in person with a bunch of hockey fans at the game, it's like going to church for fellowship, being in a community of people with the same beliefs. I can see your angle though.

NHLPodium is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:29 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.