HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pure Speculation, Part II

Old
07-12-2006, 11:40 AM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
I always thought that Legwand would have been better suited to a 3rd line winger role eg Langenbrunner.

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 11:42 AM
BORAT

When I brought up this rumour 2 weeks ago I was Boozled to death

The Deal is

Sheldon Souray + Richard Zednik

for

David Legwand and a prospect Defencemen

BORAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 11:44 AM
BORAT

Montreal gets a Strong Centerman and a good potential D-man, Nashville gets a great Leader, Hard Hitter Point producing defenceman and a Forward who has been known to be gritty ( playoff performer too ) and can score 20 goals, everyone knows Zednik played through an injury last year so I think he still has appeal

BORAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 11:47 AM
Squeaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by BORAT View Post
Montreal gets a Strong Centerman and a good potential D-man, Nashville gets a great Leader, Hard Hitter Point producing defenceman and a Forward who has been known to be gritty ( playoff performer too ) and can score 20 goals, everyone knows Zednik played through an injury last year so I think he still has appeal
What injury? Ryder was the one who played through an injury last year. It was a hernia, if my memory serves me correctly.

Squeaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
AH

I still want to know who the hell that prospect defenseman is ... If it's Parent or Klein, we would need to get someone to replace Souray. If it's Suter, he can step in right away into our top six.

AH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
AH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaky View Post
What injury? Ryder was the one who played through an injury last year. It was a hernia, if my memory serves me correctly.
Zednik had a groin and knee injury for most of the year.

AH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 11:57 AM
turnbuckle*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montrealer View Post
Assets: Has exceptional vision and creativity on the ice. His offensive instincts are off the charts and he's improving his all-around game.

Flaws: Still needs a lot of work in the defensive zone. Must bulk up, for he is quite undersized by NHL standards. Is still a bit immature.

Career potential: Second line center.

I would. Ribs is closer to his career potential (as in he's pretty much already reached it) than Legwand is.

Now, I wouldn't mind seeing Legwand on this team, but he's not a better option than Ribs. Not even close.
You would take Legwand, but he's not even close to being a better option than Ribs? You appear to be contradicting yourself.

I'm not sure about the "offensive instincts off the charts" description. His highest output in an NHL season is 48 points and 19 goals - in fact his defensive game is much further along than his offensive game - for a guy who was projected to be a first-line center, he has certainly been disappointing in the offence department. Legwand has had 6 full NHL seasons; Ribeiro has had two, yet Ribeiro bested Legwand's best career offensive output in both of those seasons.

Legwand is a much better two-way option at center - he is bigger, faster, stronger, grittier, and much better defensively. Offensively; that's a tough call as thus far a player with much less NHL experience in Ribs has a much better PPG average. I think Legwand will likely be a better scorer ove the next few seasons, but I can't declare that with total conviction.

turnbuckle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 12:37 PM
KingJarl

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustafio View Post
he's going to arbitration...
Sorry this has nothing to do with the conversation, but rustafio, that is hands-down the best avatar I've ever seen!

I love it!

KingJarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 12:48 PM
eddy

I'd love to add Legwand to our top 6 he'd be a great 2nd line center. He may have a case of being brought into the league a little early and not meeting his full offensive potential but he's still only 25 so even though it seems he's been in the league for a while he's still quite young. I don't know what we'd package Ribeiro would make sence his spot would be gone and he would fit nicely into Nashville's style of play. Souray is another good possibility. All speculation but nice to see Gainey is still trying to pull somthing off after missing out on the targeted UFA's.

eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 01:12 PM
Netro

Let's compare Legwand and Ribs:

Skating:
Legwand. Ribs is one of the slower skaters in the NHL, while Legwand is one of the faster skaters

Passing:
Tie. Both are good passers. I know many people will say that Ribs is a better passer because of some of the terrific feeds he makes but this is more a result of his vision (see below)

Puck Handling:
Ribs. Legwand is a good puckhandler but doesn't possess the same moves as Ribs

Shooting: (accuracy, velocity, release)
Legwand. Ribs just doesn't have a hard shot, nor a quick release. It is at times accurate. From what I have seen, Legwand's shot is better.

Vision:
Ribs. This is Ribs strength. He has terrific vision and creativity. Not knocking Legwand's vision, it just is not as good as Ribs.

Defensive Awareness:
Legwand. I believe Legwand kills penalties - well I do see he has scored SH goals in previous years. Typically, only players with good defensive awareness kill penalties. Ribs defensive game is awful

Faceoffs:
Tie. From the stats earlier, they both stink. I was surprised, I thought Legwand was at least respectable.

Size:
Legwand. To me size is not a huge thing, but Legwand has size and Ribs, as we know, ain't big.

Final Tally:
Legwand: 4
Ribs: 2
Tie: 2

See, to me, Ribs vision is wonderful, but he does not have the size, or speed, to execute his vision on a consistent basis. And at playoff time, his lack of size/speed hinders him more. And I think this is why Ribs ceiling is not much higher, if at all, then what we have seen. Since he still a Hab, I hope I am wrong.

On the other hand, Legwand does have the necessary skill set to be a successful offensive centre in the NHL. He is still young, so don't write him off yet. Some players take longer to develop, or some get hurt (or both) I think that his game is perfectly suited in the new NHL and as such think his ceiling is quite high.

Netro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 01:17 PM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netro View Post
Let's compare Legwand and Ribs:

Skating:
Legwand. Ribs is one of the slower skaters in the NHL, while Legwand is one of the faster skaters

Passing:
Tie. Both are good passers. I know many people will say that Ribs is a better passer because of some of the terrific feeds he makes but this is more a result of his vision (see below)

Puck Handling:
Ribs. Legwand is a good puckhandler but doesn't possess the same moves as Ribs

Shooting: (accuracy, velocity, release)
Legwand. Ribs just doesn't have a hard shot, nor a quick release. It is at times accurate. From what I have seen, Legwand's shot is better.

Vision:
Ribs. This is Ribs strength. He has terrific vision and creativity. Not knocking Legwand's vision, it just is not as good as Ribs.

Defensive Awareness:
Legwand. I believe Legwand kills penalties - well I do see he has scored SH goals in previous years. Typically, only players with good defensive awareness kill penalties. Ribs defensive game is awful

Faceoffs:
Tie. From the stats earlier, they both stink. I was surprised, I thought Legwand was at least respectable.

Size:
Legwand. To me size is not a huge thing, but Legwand has size and Ribs, as we know, ain't big.

Final Tally:
Legwand: 4
Ribs: 2
Tie: 2

See, to me, Ribs vision is wonderful, but he does not have the size, or speed, to execute his vision on a consistent basis. And at playoff time, his lack of size/speed hinders him more. And I think this is why Ribs ceiling is not much higher, if at all, then what we have seen. Since he still a Hab, I hope I am wrong.

On the other hand, Legwand does have the necessary skill set to be a successful offensive centre in the NHL. He is still young, so don't write him off yet. Some players take longer to develop, or some get hurt (or both) I think that his game is perfectly suited in the new NHL and as such think his ceiling is quite high.
I think its too easy to forget legwand got a 38 year old knee at 25, but good analysis. Koivu and Legwand on the same team is a bit risky for my taste, but I think I would take the risk because of our prospect situation.

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 01:23 PM
Netro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLR View Post
I think its too easy to forget legwand got a 38 year old knee at 25, but good analysis. Koivu and Legwand on the same team is a bit risky for my taste, but I think I would take the risk because of our prospect situation.
Legwands knee is the concern, is the risk. But, I guess you have the team docs check him first..

Netro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 01:31 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by AH View Post
I still want to know who the hell that prospect defenseman is ... If it's Parent or Klein, we would need to get someone to replace Souray. If it's Suter, he can step in right away into our top six.
Borat came after with Parent's name. Not Suter or anything else like that. But Parent is still a great, great prospect.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 02:07 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Ok, first, I doubt Legwand is going anywhere, we're still short on skilled centers, Legwand being one. We are still a team built on speed and need Legwand speed.

He is a great defensive center but he's not gritty at all, he uses his speed as defensive weapon not his size.

He's also very good at carrying the puck and is a good playmaker he just hasn't had many finishers to play with yet.

Paul Kariya and Steven Sullivan have both said that Legwand is one of the fastest and best skaters in the world.

triggrman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 02:20 PM
Pascal

Legwand was suppose to be the new Modano, but he hasn't lived up to it in the NHL. That being said i'd take him over ribeiro any day, because of his size/speed and he is better all-around. Who knows, maybe a change of scenery might benefit his offensive game..Plus in Nashville he always had that franchise player tag on himself and i think it hampered his development.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 02:35 PM
znk

For your info. I asked on the Nashville board for some input on Legwand.
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=270326

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
I agree with NMK that the opinion is going to be very different depending on the poster. Legwand has been considered a disappointment by some here in Nashville due to his draft year hype as a franchise center who would put up big offensive numbers. Well, he has not lived up to those expectations and some here cannot get past that to see that he is a very valuable two-way center that will thrive in a second-line role.
Legwand has very good speed that is deceptive due to his long stride. As a matter of fact, many do not give him credit and believe he is "coasting" because of his long-stride. Offensively, Legwand is not going to put up huge numbers, but will generate a lot of chances for his wingers due to his ability to carry the puck and strength cycling in the corners. Legwand is an above-average passer, but lacks finishing ability.

Defensively, Legwand is very responsible in his own end and uses his speed to his advantage on the backcheck. I believe that he would excel in a shutdown role, but is better suited to serving as a second-line center where his two-way attributes can be best used in both ends of the rink.

Don't take this as a "Legwand is gold" review, he does have his shortcomings (primarily his lack of tangible offensive numbers), but Legwand is more valuable for the things he does that don't show up on the scoresheet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basher View Post
Also in agreement. My beef with Legwand is somewhat unfair, in that he is not a #1 center, even though we used him as one. I'd say his finishing ability is below average for NHL'ers. That is something however, that is "form" related - meaning if he worked at it and maintained a level of it I think he could score 30 a year. But him not scoring in a role as our #1 really made me dislike his play, and value overall. I'm interested to see him as a true #2 center this year, and who knows, if the knee holds up then we might see a career year with less expectations and still more experience as each year goes by.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids View Post
SLake hit it spot on, but the telling thing that some like to argue...

We win a lot more games with Legwand in lineup. Like, A LOT more. Some say it's because of, some say it's not..but that's the facts.

I look forward to seeing what Legwand can do in a situation where he's not counted on to be THE GUY, especially playing with Sullivan\Walker\Hartnell\Erat
I dont think we could say most of these things about Ribeiro.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 02:36 PM
gohabsgo2010

Send a message via AIM to gohabsgo2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
Legwand was suppose to be the new Modano, but he hasn't lived up to it in the NHL. That being said i'd take him over ribeiro any day, because of his size/speed and he is better all-around. Who knows, maybe a change of scenery might benefit his offensive game..Plus in Nashville he always had that franchise player tag on himself and i think it hampered his development.
If Gainey's interested in him, maybe that's what he sees. He's got his Zubov in Markov, his Lehtienen in Higgins, and his Langenbrunner in Ryder. And in Legwand he could have his Modano.

gohabsgo2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 02:42 PM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaky View Post
Wow. Talk about the stats not backing up the opinions.

Last year Legwand had 6 hits in 44 games. His faceoff % was 44.6. The year before his FO% was 45.1.

In comparison, Ribeiro had 51 hits in 79 games. His faceoff % was 44.7. The year before, 44.8.

I don't think the numbers support the gritty thing or the good at faceoffs thing at all.
Hits are a hilariously subjective stat... It's kept by the home team staff member. A few years back Robert Svhela far-and-away led the NHL in hits... strangely, many other Panther players were up there on the list. It's because the Panther staff member handed out "hits" to Florida players like candy on Halloween. The NHL actually scrapped the stat for a few seasons because it was useless and being used by agents as if it meant something at contract time.

FerrisRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 02:47 PM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Originally Posted by BORAT View Post
When I brought up this rumour 2 weeks ago I was Boozled to death

The Deal is

Sheldon Souray + Richard Zednik

for

David Legwand and a prospect Defencemen
No, it's not.

What I've been told is strictly David Legwand coming to Montreal.

On these forums, Sheldon Souray is mentioned in tons of trade rumors. In reality, I've not heard his name brought up a single time this summer.

Old
07-12-2006, 03:04 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Is Zednik a center? We have so many wingers now we can't fit Radulov onto the team.

Heck, Adam Hall doesn't even really have a place on the team anymore.

triggrman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 04:00 PM
Squeaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox View Post
Hits are a hilariously subjective stat... It's kept by the home team staff member. A few years back Robert Svhela far-and-away led the NHL in hits... strangely, many other Panther players were up there on the list. It's because the Panther staff member handed out "hits" to Florida players like candy on Halloween. The NHL actually scrapped the stat for a few seasons because it was useless and being used by agents as if it meant something at contract time.
Oh, I agree, hits stats are pretty silly. They only mean something interpreted correctly. But 6 hits in fortywhatever games is pretty clearcut. It's not like all the other guys on his team also had nearly 0 hits. I was only trying to use the stat to indicate that Legwand isn't a gritty player, which it turns out the original guy didn't really mean anyways.

Squeaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 04:52 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by AH View Post
Talks with his agent may have started on Saturday, but that doesn't mean BG wasn't already talking to Poile about swinging a deal for him before that.

As for Legwand vs Ribeiro, it's really a wash. Legwand has more speed, but he is also injury prone. I dont think it's a situation where one needs to be dealt if the other comes here. Legwand is also a great defensivce player and fits in nicely in a shutdown role. I can honestly see the Habs going with three offensieve lines this coming season.
Im glad some people have cool heads , some people make it sound like Legwand is some kind of super hero compared to Ribeiro. All he got on Ribs is speed/skating. There is no doubt in my mind the Habs will go with 3 offensive line like we had in the playoffs with Plekanec/Perez and Zednik on the 3rd.

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 05:05 PM
Pascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozeph_Balej View Post
Im glad some people have cool heads , some people make it sound like Legwand is some kind of super hero compared to Ribeiro. All he got on Ribs is speed/skating. There is no doubt in my mind the Habs will go with 3 offensive line like we had in the playoffs with Plekanec/Perez and Zednik on the 3rd.
Only speed and size? How about the ability to play good defense? My mom plays better defense than Ribeiro. Not to mention he seems to have an attitude problem.

Did anyone else read the interview he gave after he signed his new overpaid contract? It was all "me me me" and the money he was "able to get".

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 05:10 PM
turnbuckle*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox View Post
No, it's not.

What I've been told is strictly David Legwand coming to Montreal.

On these forums, Sheldon Souray is mentioned in tons of trade rumors. In reality, I've not heard his name brought up a single time this summer.
what...are you tapping Bob's phone? How could you be so certain that it's "strictly Legwand?"

There's been no deal yet, by the time it's done (if it ever is) there could be three teams and six players involved.

it makes sense for the Preds to give up one of their many young defence prospects for a veteran defenceman at this point. They lost Eaton, Witt and Markov to free agency...I'm sure they don't want to enter the season with several sophomore/rookie defencemen. They could use another scoring presence up front if they deal Legwand...and the Habs aren't likely going to deal both Souray and Zednik for Legwand.

If they deal Legwand, either Upshall or Sullican replaces him. Zednik then replaces Upshall/Sullivan on the wing.

Nashville signed Arnott - they're going for it now while Kariya, Vokoun etc. are in their primes. I think the Parent +Legwand for Souray +Zednik + Cote makes the most sense.

turnbuckle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 05:15 PM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnbuckle View Post
what...are you tapping Bob's phone? How could you be so certain that it's "strictly Legwand?"

There's been no deal yet, by the time it's done (if it ever is) there could be three teams and six players involved.

it makes sense for the Preds to give up one of their many young defence prospects for a veteran defenceman at this point. They lost Eaton, Witt and Markov to free agency...I'm sure they don't want to enter the season with several sophomore/rookie defencemen. They could use another scoring presence up front if they deal Legwand...and the Habs aren't likely going to deal both Souray and Zednik for Legwand.

If they deal Legwand, either Upshall or Sullican replaces him. Zednik then replaces Upshall/Sullivan on the wing.

Nashville signed Arnott - they're going for it now while Kariya, Vokoun etc. are in their primes. I think the Parent +Legwand for Souray +Zednik + Cote makes the most sense.
If you say so.