HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Habs trade Zednik, acquire Johnson

Old
07-12-2006, 06:06 PM
skidboot

vCash: 500
I guess this is Plan "D"???

We'll see about Johnson. I agree wholeheartedly with Mike8.

skidboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgins View Post
Thanks for the props everyone. As I told you guys...I'm not one to post rubish When I heard the news I figured I'd share right away even though I knew the thread would get locked as it wasn't gonna be offitially announced for a little bit.

Montreal was just doing his job though, these boards would get rediculus without the mods..

GREAT set of moves IMO. Definitely the type of guy we needed. Still think Bob will sign a free agent before the season starts though, if I hear anything..you'll be the first to know
It's............it's.............it's him !!!!!!!

131313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 06:10 PM
JackieChan

Ok so up to now I heard he's fast, defensibly reliable, good size.... but what does his game lack?

JackieChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 06:10 PM
SPARTAKUS*

Mike johnson:

Assets: Plays a smart positional game and shows good offensive instincts. Has great speed and is an accomplished defensive player.

Flaws: Lacks a physical edge, despite standing 6-2, 200 pounds. Needs to be able to grind it out better along the boards. Is capable of scoring more goals.

SPARTAKUS* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 06:11 PM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieChan View Post
Ok so up to now I heard he's fast, defensibly reliable, good size.... but what does his game lack?
Physicality. He's a softie.

Dan K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
StanAjax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgins View Post
Definitely the type of guy we needed.
Hmmm, I thought the type of Guy we needed was more like Lafleur. Oh, I think that the fans may be content with Latendresse though.

By the way, congrats for the breaking news that I didn't see 'cos I was working... Really.

StanAjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnbuckle View Post
I like what Gainey did today.

IMO Johnson is an upgrade on Zednik, plus he trades a pick that will be in the 115-120 range for a pick in the 60-65 range. There are going to be solid players in the 60th position next season from most accounts.

Johnson is better defensively than Zednik and bring good size to the wings. He's a much better playmaker, while Zednik is normally a better goal scorer.

In his last 170 games Johnson has 87 assists and 127 points. We haven't had too many 40-assist wingers in recent times

In Zednik's last 140 games he has 38 assists and 80 points.

Johnson may find himself on the second line if he can average an assist every two games, playing with Kovalev, Kosty or Ryder and setting them up much more efficiently than one-hand Dick.
Johnson's a better playmaker, softer and shows up less when it counts compared to Zednik. On a team with too many playmakers and not enough shooters, I don't like subtracting a shooter and adding a playmaker. Additionally, I think Montreal gets softer with this move.

That said, there's clearly more to the equation here; whether it be personality wise, team-direction wise, and so on, Zednik wasn't a fit. I just don't like Johnson as the replacement.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Artyukhin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieChan View Post

listen to a yotes fan

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=270485&page=3

There aren't any free agents available that I'd choose over Johnson. Mike Barnett is the worst GM in hockey. GO KIM, I'll give you your due. I've never liked you because of how much you have disapproved of Coyotes management in the past. Now I realise just how wrong I have been.

Mike Johnson is a consistant 20 goal guy, who has been our best defensive forward for some time. Just a few years ago he was called our MVP. He's only 31, and he makes less than 2million dollars, a year. Further, he has great chemistry with both Nagy and Comrie. He was one of the most valuable players this team had.

I really don't give a **** if Phoenix was just clearing space for a Blockbuster trade, or a couple of free agent signings. Regardless of what Barnett has in store, roster wise, this was still a terrible trade. How can you not get more than a 4th rounder for a guy like Mike Johnson? Barnett clearly settled because he knows he had other business to get to. THAT IS TERRRIBLE ASSET MANAGEMENT!!!

GO KIM JONSSON,

You were right the whole time. My apologies.

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
KLu

Send a message via MSN to KLu
He may be a softie, but at least he'll hold his stick with both hands...

KLu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 06:12 PM
Dwight
The French Tickler

Johnson likes to stay in front of the net.

Not a lot of our guys do that.

Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 06:12 PM
Le depisteur

From Phoenix Coyotes Board...

"Johnson is not a rough type player but he doesn't shy away from contact. He'll go in the corners if he has to. He has a pretty good shot but I think the biggest thing Johnson brings to the table is his ability to help other players. It seemed like anytime someone was in a slump here in Phoenix, they'd put them on a line with Johnson and they'd start producing again. He's very much a glue type of player and at the moment I'm thinking the Coyotes were stupid to trade him for a freakin 4th rounder. It's not like he was expensive or anything."
Sinurgy
Hockey Ambassador

Le depisteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 06:17 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mckenzie View Post
listen to a yotes fan

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=270485&page=3

There aren't any free agents available that I'd choose over Johnson. Mike Barnett is the worst GM in hockey. GO KIM, I'll give you your due. I've never liked you because of how much you have disapproved of Coyotes management in the past. Now I realise just how wrong I have been.

Mike Johnson is a consistant 20 goal guy, who has been our best defensive forward for some time. Just a few years ago he was called our MVP. He's only 31, and he makes less than 2million dollars, a year. Further, he has great chemistry with both Nagy and Comrie. He was one of the most valuable players this team had.

I really don't give a **** if Phoenix was just clearing space for a Blockbuster trade, or a couple of free agent signings. Regardless of what Barnett has in store, roster wise, this was still a terrible trade. How can you not get more than a 4th rounder for a guy like Mike Johnson? Barnett clearly settled because he knows he had other business to get to. THAT IS TERRRIBLE ASSET MANAGEMENT!!!

GO KIM JONSSON,

You were right the whole time. My apologies.
Nice!

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 06:21 PM
loadie
Official Beer Taster

Sweet deal.....Patience is the key. Whoooohooo

loadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 06:21 PM
eddy

Excellent deal for the Habs, even though he doesn't have much of a physical game it adds a little size tot he line-up, 50-65 point getter and what I like the most good defensivly. Gotta love the good 2-way guys which Zednik was not, and whats even better is Johnson has been putting up better numbers so I think we definetly got the better end on this one. Lost a pick but got an even better one right back, good job Bob. I just don't understand why the Coyotes wanted to get rid of him for a mid-round draft pick.

eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 06:22 PM
Marksman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafka View Post
Maybe it was mentioned previously, but Johnson was used has a center some games by Gretzky...... right handed center..... with Kovalev and Ryder, I tought he would end up being playing LW, but on the PP, he might see good minutes.
Problem is Johnson isnt too good on faceoff, only 44% success rate. Thats about as poor as Ribeiro.

My guess is hes our replacement to Jan Bulis. They have similar speed, both like to hit even if not terribly physical otherwise and about the same offensive skill. Difference is Mike is right shot as you mentioned, little more experienced and should be willing to accept grinding role easier.

Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
SuperUnknown

While Johnson is not particularly physical, he's not shying away either and will go dig the puck along the boards and give the opposing dmen a hit behind the net. He has gotten more physical over the years.

He's got a lot of speed, he's a pretty good playmaker and while he has a decent shot, it's not that accurate. He is defensively responsible and can play to shutdown the opposing team late in a game.

Johnson will definately play on our top two lines and on the powerplay, there's no doubt about it. Imo, Ryder or Johnson will play the LW or else Johnson will center the 2nd line with Kovalev.

SuperUnknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Darz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsaholic View Post
Nice trade for Johnson, but Gainey proved to be a moron in the Zednik deal.
.....and you proved to be a moron with this post.

07-12-2006, 06:23 PM
StanAjax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
On a team with too many playmakers and not enough shooters, I don't like subtracting a shooter and adding a playmaker.
I was concerned with this one too.

But thinking about it, compared to a couple years ago, when Zednik was our main shooter, we now have Ryder (25 and 30 goals seasons) and Higgins, who displayed a nice touch after the Olympics. We can hope that they'll continue to improve in the coming years.

Still, if a Perezhogin or a Kostitsyn can add his name to the mix, I'd be more comfortable.

The other problem you pointed out is more of a concern. Zednik was not too good this year in the playoffs, after a terrific brutally ended 4-game stint in 2002 and a great play on a dominant line in 2004.
His departure still makes a hole in our playoff experience as a team.

The question Gainey answered with this trade is "Can we get Zednik back on track ?" Bob answered "No". Of course, we'll never know for sure if he was right or not, which changes a lot the evaluation of these trades but I can understand Gainey's decision and live with these trades.

StanAjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 06:24 PM
Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz View Post
.....and you proved to be a moron with this post.

Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 06:25 PM
turnbuckle*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
Johnson's a better playmaker, softer and shows up less when it counts compared to Zednik. On a team with too many playmakers and not enough shooters, I don't like subtracting a shooter and adding a playmaker. Additionally, I think Montreal gets softer with this move.

That said, there's clearly more to the equation here; whether it be personality wise, team-direction wise, and so on, Zednik wasn't a fit. I just don't like Johnson as the replacement.
You make it sound like Zednik was some sort of hitting machine. About once every three games or so Zed would decide to get physical, and his idea of getting physical was throwing a couple of hits. Zed could fight, but he did it what...three times in his Hab career?

Zed wasn't a fit on the third line, and wasn't playing well enough either way to be on a scoiring line. Johnson will fit in nicely on the third line, kill penalties, and collect as many points as Zednik was with the Habs.

That shooter you speak of scored 14 goals last season - not good enough for a one-dimensional player in my books,

as for the Johnson not showing up in big games claim...when' the last time Johnson played in a playoff game? You bring up the example of Toironto...that was seven years ago when he was still a youing player...he's played 5 playoff games since. Kinda tough to label him as a poor big game performer when he hasn't been in many.

turnbuckle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
wholeshow*

i hope you gainey bashers shut the hell up for atleast a couple days.

wholeshow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Artyukhin*

zednick didnt wanna play no more in montreal and id rather him gone .

we get rid of a 4th round pick and zednik

and recieved a 3rd round pick and johnson

anyone complaining about this move has to be off there rocker

johnson is very responsible defensivly (carbo loves this one)
and still can put up 50 pts that is a bonus to our club .

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
XX
... Waiting

Johnson isnt a playmaker, he isnt a shooter. He is both. He is a 2 way player who can shoot, play D, and make passes, a lot like Lehtinen. When someone on the Yotes was struggling guess who got put on their line? Johnson. He can spark anyone, and is the reason for Nagy's success.

Whether or not that had to do with being comfortable in Arizona, I wont know. But ill miss him because he always seemed to play hard, would be scrappy, finished his checks etc..

you cant go wrong at 1.9

XX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Taupy

People on the Bruins' board think that Zednik is better.

Taupy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smail View Post
While Johnson is not particularly physical, he's not shying away either and will go dig the puck along the boards and give the opposing dmen a hit behind the net. He has gotten more physical over the years.

He's got a lot of speed, he's a pretty good playmaker and while he has a decent shot, it's not that accurate. He is defensively responsible and can play to shutdown the opposing team late in a game.

Johnson will definately play on our top two lines and on the powerplay, there's no doubt about it. Imo, Ryder or Johnson will play the LW or else Johnson will center the 2nd line with Kovalev.
Question : Is Johnson defensively responsible and fast enough to play on the PK ?

Not saying that i want him in this role but i'm just curious

131313 is offline   Reply With Quote