HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

L.A. Times - Lombardi still wants a big, veteran forward

Old
07-11-2006, 04:22 PM
Captain Ron

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreyaa View Post
Just to throw another name out there- how about Linden? The guy's a proven winner, great leadership qualities, a pro's pro, etc- and has played for Crow. Since he's UFA and on the way downslope of his career, I'd have to think he could be had on the cheap.... I wouldn't exactly put him in the top 6 at 36-years-old, but he might be a nice pickup for depth and character, and I've always liked Trevor. Thoughts?
I think he has 1 or 2 years left in him. I think he would rather spend it transitioning into a new front office position in Vancouver than to try and acclimate to a new team.

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 04:24 PM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro View Post
Therefore, the kids would be even better off if we didn't sign them at all
Not necessarily. Neither of us can know what is best for the kids. It might be better for Kopitar's development to play half the season with the Monarchs and half the season with the Kings, rather than all of it with the Kings. It may also turn out better to just keep Kopitar with the Monarchs all season. In either case, what would you do about the empty spot in the top-6?

A big, veteran forward like Lindros or Nolan would fill so many needs and be important for the development of every player in the top-6. That, especially, includes Cammalleri, Frolov and O'Sullivan, who would be in the top-6, regardless. What about them? Everything isn't just about Kopitar's development.

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 04:29 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingz4life View Post
Yes, he should definently try to get one...We need another veteran to help the kids out.
What exactly do you mean by 'help'

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 04:43 PM
Kingz4life

Send a message via AIM to Kingz4life
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
What exactly do you mean by 'help'
A guy like Nolan, Lindros, or Allision can help the young kids produce more by playing with them and plus, the kids can learn to play at a higher level by watching them. Main example is a guy like Kopitar...he can definently learn a lot from one of these power forwards.

Kingz4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 05:29 PM
no name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
I love the comments of people questioning Lombardi's decisions and wondering if he knows what he is doing. It's more like YOU not knowing what he's doing and how he is shaping up the team.

After the past three seasons of missing the playoffs, we see the Kings addressing some needs, like a powerplay quarterback and GRIT, and a lot of you still cry and moan.

Perhaps some of you would have a more enjoyable time finding a new team to root for. Follow the pack and hop on a bandwagon.
Slow down my friend. You have to admit that once we get an idea of where we are headed the Kings change the strategy. I'm sure they have a strategy but I'm not sure any of us think the Kings are going to contend for the cup in the next two years so why not pick sides and choose to rebuild or fully contend?

I like the Blake signing to if nothing more mentor the young players. If it doesnt work out we can always trade him easily enough for prospects to a contender. The Demitra trade was brilliant. I am not a fan of softies so to get what we got for Demitra blew me away.

no name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 05:58 PM
multiball

Send a message via AIM to multiball
Quote:
Originally Posted by no name View Post
Slow down my friend. You have to admit that once we get an idea of where we are headed the Kings change the strategy. I'm sure they have a strategy but I'm not sure any of us think the Kings are going to contend for the cup in the next two years so why not pick sides and choose to rebuild or fully contend?

I like the Blake signing to if nothing more mentor the young players. If it doesnt work out we can always trade him easily enough for prospects to a contender. The Demitra trade was brilliant. I am not a fan of softies so to get what we got for Demitra blew me away.
I agree with you 100% on the Blake signing and the Demitra trade - but I characterize it as progress and part of building a winner, but you seem to have characterized it as a "change in strategy" and contend that the GM has "no idea in which direction the Kings are going".

I don't think that making a great trade for youth and then signing a vet or two to mentor them equals a schizophrenic or unfocused general manager. Getting out of the "black hole", like any good strategy, requires a little bit of both elements to get you where you want to be. We seem to be slated to start relying more on the youth than in the past, which strikes me as a very good thing.

multiball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 06:57 PM
jeffreyaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongebob View Post
I think he has 1 or 2 years left in him. I think he would rather spend it transitioning into a new front office position in Vancouver than to try and acclimate to a new team.
Yeah, I actually deleted that after I wrote it- if for no other reason, he doesn't fill a top 6, so would just be taking up a depth spot that one of our youths could fill. I've just always liked Linden!

As to Lindros or Nolan, I'd be happy w/either, and especially Nolan. When I was living in the Bay Area, Nolan was THE MAN, and honestly became one of the best captains in the league. I think his ego ended up getting a bit too big for his britches, but I'd have to think that would be back under control at this point- especially if DL, who's admittedly looking for character, is interested. He could definitely be a good teacher to a guy like Brownie in terms of how to use his size and hands, and I think he could still put up some points in this league.

For Lindros, you really didn't hear any negative stories come out about him once he left Philly- the only thing has been his continued injury issues. But he's a big body, which we can certainly use more of, and has had both individual and team success [and it will be easier on him physically in the west]. Personally, I never hated him like some people, although I can certainly pass on his dad. I'd have to think he'd come on the cheap, relatively, and I think - again, if DL is looking at him - that he'd be a good character pickup.

The kids need people to show them how to win, especially after learning so well how to both lose and disintegrate as a team last season. Surrounding them w/quality vets is smart, and I think DL's long-term plan is well reasoned. I would have honestly preferred Shanny to either Nolan or Lindros, but that isn't an option anymore.

jeffreyaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 08:55 PM
devilinto

Lindros is not a cancer. The Leafs signed Antropov today so they are running out of room.

I say we sign Lindros and PEca. I dont think we should sign nolan. He is still not 100%

devilinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 09:11 PM
znk

We'll send you Bonk for free.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 09:15 PM
shaayar78

Send a message via AIM to shaayar78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro View Post
I know, I know. It's just the thought of it happening makes me crazy
I know the feeling.....its part of the job of being a die hard hockey and kings fan!

shaayar78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 09:18 PM
shaayar78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
Samsonov is a injury prone floater who is a second line player demanding 1st line money as of now. I would rather have a guy that brings more to the table like Nolan or Lindros.

DL is doing exactly what he did in San Jose, adding character veterans to go with skilled youth so if the team makes the playoffs they have the grit and character, while at the same time the kids are learning and developing.

I agree about Lindros, dude is a cancer. That's why I think and hope Nolan is the answer. Plus he has played much more games than Lindros even though he missed the past year.
Tell that to the ppl who think DL is dragging this team into the "black hole" and DL is some moron who does not know how to run a team......ppl need to give the guy some SERIOUS breathing room to do his job....Damn it hasn't even been a full four months much less even the exhibition season hasn't started!!

Old
07-11-2006, 09:23 PM
shaayar78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
I love the comments of people questioning Lombardi's decisions and wondering if he knows what he is doing. It's more like YOU not knowing what he's doing and how he is shaping up the team.

After the past three seasons of missing the playoffs, we see the Kings addressing some needs, like a powerplay quarterback and GRIT, and a lot of you still cry and moan.

Perhaps some of you would have a more enjoyable time finding a new team to root for. Follow the pack and hop on a bandwagon.
I don't think this could have been said any BETTER!!!!!!! and I'll go out of my WAAAAAAAY and say that these same people would moan and groan NOT MATTER who we had as GM (damn, even Wayne himself) or any player we got!!!

Old
07-11-2006, 09:24 PM
shaayar78

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
I have no problem with us signing either Lindros or Nolan as long as it's a one year deal. Maybe two if the contract is cheap.

Osprey also bring up a great point:
Osprey always brings up good points!!!

Old
07-11-2006, 09:30 PM
shaayar78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingz4life View Post
A guy like Nolan, Lindros, or Allision can help the young kids produce more by playing with them and plus, the kids can learn to play at a higher level by watching them. Main example is a guy like Kopitar...he can definently learn a lot from one of these power forwards.
In Lindros's case....he can tell the "kids" to keep their head up skating through the middle of the ice!!!! and for Allison, watch out for knee on knees, and AGAIN, keep your head up!!!!

Old
07-11-2006, 09:35 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGSFANINTO View Post
Lindros is not a cancer. The Leafs signed Antropov today so they are running out of room.

I say we sign Lindros and PEca. I dont think we should sign nolan. He is still not 100%
No room for both Lindros and Peca. I have read that Peca is interested in Toronto, and the Leafs are talking to him. That could be why Lindros re-signing with the Leafs is being held up...

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 09:43 PM
AnThGrt

Send a message via AIM to AnThGrt
As written both would be under a million with incentives or just under a million. I know Lindros was looking for 750,000 or 850,000 from Toronto I would have no problem giving that to him. I am one of the few but I always loved Lindros. He definately would be a great mentor. The only reason I would take Nolan before him is more likely to play more games and not sure if he still does but willing to drop gloves for his teammates.

To person who said he would leave if Lindros was signed and Lombardi would be an idiot - I agree with the poster who wrote good ridance then

AnThGrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 09:50 PM
Venom_17

Looking at what DL has done so far, the only notable omission is a top 6 banger. Out of all the names mentioned, only Owen Nolan fits the bill.

Lindros is no longer a banger.
Peca is not a top 6 forward.
Samsonov is too small for a team that is already tiny on the top 6.
Linden had something like 16 points last year and seems to have one foot in a bucket of **** over the NHLPA issues.

Bring Nolan! He will complement this team very well.

Frolov-Conroy-Cammalleri
O'Sullivan-Kopitar-Nolan (I like this line; reminds me of Perry-Getzlaf-Fedoruk)
Thornton-McCauley-Brown
Avery-Belanger-Willsie

Norstrom-Sopel
Gleason-Blake
Visnovsky-Miller

Cloutier
Garon
LaBarbera

Barring any further trades of Garon, Belanger, Avery, etc. We would certainly have some depth!

Venom_17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 09:59 PM
Johnny Utah

i thought the Kings were done with Sopel. I hope Petiot gets a shot. I would like the Kings deal Miller or Sopel and give Richard the spot; he's tougher, younger and makes less money.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 10:08 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom_17 View Post
Lindros is no longer a banger.
I don't know. He sure looked like one with Toronto last year before the wrist injury.
He may not be the force he once was, but he'll still throw his body around.

The thing I'd be concerned about is Nolans skating. He is just coming off a year off, and he did have a serious injury before that. Can he keep up with the new NHL?

The odds are slim, but I'd say go for Sammy. He may be small, but he adds speed, and this team badly needs it.

07-11-2006, 10:39 PM
willie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire View Post
I don't know. He sure looked like one with Toronto last year before the wrist injury.
He may not be the force he once was, but he'll still throw his body around.

The thing I'd be concerned about is Nolans skating. He is just coming off a year off, and he did have a serious injury before that. Can he keep up with the new NHL?

The odds are slim, but I'd say go for Sammy. He may be small, but he adds speed, and this team badly needs it.
He's also - by far - the most expensive option of the three.

Nolan and Lindros will likely be ~1 Million + bonuses plus on a shorter deal. They also bring better all around games, leadership, size, and have higher potential upside. And the injury risk is almost neglible.

Speed is a concern but it hardly outweighs the other cost-benefit considerations to go the Samsonov route.

willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 10:58 PM
Johnny Utah

Forget Samsonov, the guy is demanding first line money. The last thing the Kings need is another udersized forward. Frolov, Cammy, O'Sullivan aren't the biggest or most physical guys; Conroy is the only physical one. Kings need size.

I say pass on chumps and overpaid floaters like Sykora, Carter, and Samsonov who are all demanding 3-4 million and sign Lindros and Nolan who probably can be had for 1-2 and add so much more to the team with there size, skill, and leadership.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 11:24 PM
ILuvLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongebob View Post
Linden is to Vancouver what Luc & Teemu are to LA and Anaheim.

ILuvLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 11:36 PM
jfont

Awards:
i'll go along with willie and endorse either lindros and/or nolan...

willie has seen eric's play last year and am hoping that if the kings sign him, that he'll be somewhat of a selanne type impact for the kings...plus kings need a big body to put along the front lines against the thornton, marleau and modanos in the western conference.

07-12-2006, 12:51 AM
Venom_17

Lindros just concerns me too much. It is pretty much a guarantee that he won't play the full season. With Nolan, a couple years off might just have done his tired body some good. I think there is less risk associated with Nolan, but that is pretty much pure speculation.

The fact of the matter is that they are both high risk, or they would both be signed somewhere by now.

I say go with the devil you know, in this case that is Nolan (connection to Lombardi).

Venom_17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 06:42 PM
I Am Ziggy Palffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom_17 View Post
Lindros just concerns me too much. It is pretty much a guarantee that he won't play the full season.
then again...which player is a garauntee to play a fulll season....

I Am Ziggy Palffy is offline   Reply With Quote