HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Madison Square Garden Renovations (Part V)

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Old MSG 79 49.07%
New MSG 82 50.93%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
02-16-2013, 07:54 PM
Joe11

vCash: 500
Best thing they can do with new scoreboard is get rid of crap like the "shell game" Everytime I see thousands of supposedly sophisicated NY'ers wasting their time guessing which thing the puck is under, I just think of trained monkeys and just cringe

Old
02-16-2013, 08:45 PM
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe11 View Post
Best thing they can do with new scoreboard is get rid of crap like the "shell game" Everytime I see thousands of supposedly sophisicated NY'ers wasting their time guessing which thing the puck is under, I just think of trained monkeys and just cringe
dude, shell games are as NY as you can get

Old
02-16-2013, 09:21 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megustaelhockey View Post
What info should the new scoreboard show on it that the current one does not show?

I'd like to see:
shots on goal by period
goals by period
players on ice with G/A/PIM/rating
hits by period
odd-man rushes
power play/pk efficiency

Basically, whatever they're currently showing at the end of every period as a recap, I think they should find a way to display ongoing.
What's there is more than enough. The idea of going to see a game live is to watch it as it happens. I don't need all that stuff to clutter up the experience.

Old
02-16-2013, 10:13 PM
Kreider
My name is Nils

vCash: 50
Quote:
whhaaaaaat
nooooooo

02-16-2013, 11:15 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Shell game doesn't bother me one bit, but the incessant 'potvin s***s!" chants sure do!

Old
02-18-2013, 07:28 AM
bubba5

Finally got to a game this season. Sat in section 208 row 2. I have to say the new view was awesome. I met some people in section 212 toward the top and view was great from there also, if they put those bridges across though that would definitely suck for them.
New garden better definitely as I always hated the old gardens sight lines and the fact that people always walked in front of you.

Old
02-18-2013, 10:12 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

First trip to MSG last night

- I really like the renovations (upgrades) done to the upper bowl. Viewing angle was great and it was nice to have the ceiling opened up above where my seats were (Section 210 Row 21 compared to the old Section 427, Row F). The audio in the building sounded better too in terms of their playing music and what not. It's really a shame that they are going to ruin my perfect view of center ice and Gardenvision by installing those gimmicky sky bridges catered to corporate clientele.

- Had plenty of bathroom options outside of my section. A men's bathroom on one side and a women's bathroom converted to a men's bathroom on the other. Little to no wait times going with about 5-7 minutes left in the intermission.

- Seats were a little cramped in terms of spacing between rows. I'm only 5'11 so I can't imagine what it's like for those who are 6' +++

- Luckily I only had to hear the 'Potvin S***s!' chant 6 times last night.

Last edited by wolfgaze: 02-19-2013 at 12:45 AM.
Old
02-18-2013, 05:17 PM
cjc5103

Also went to the Garden for the first time since renovations and I've got to say I'm impressed. Seats (220, row 3) were comfortable and had a decent sight line of the action.

Now about those sky bridges... we'll have to just wait and see.

Old
02-19-2013, 08:58 PM
Greg NYR

its so said to be at the garden and even watch on tv and hear how dead the building is, i guess thats what happens when you cant get in the building for less than $50

Old
02-19-2013, 09:30 PM
Megustaelhockey
Hybrid icing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg NYR View Post
its so said to be at the garden and even watch on tv and hear how dead the building is, i guess thats what happens when you cant get in the building for less than $50
It had to do with quality of tonight's game.

Old
02-19-2013, 09:37 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
The new setup (with almost all seats out in the open) is at least partly to blame. Sound just keeps going up and up, instead of bouncing around. Also, the new seating (with long rows instead of well defined sections) makes it harder to start and sustain chants.

Old
02-19-2013, 09:39 PM
Greg NYR

tonights game was brutal to watch, but based on having seasons since the last lockout and the three games ive been to this year its been pretty quiet throughout. your not going to get loud fun crowds when four seats together are $100 each on the second hand websites, people just are not going to spend the money. a lot of the die hards are being kept out of the building and its not going to change.

*not saying the people in the building are not die hards by the way

Old
02-23-2013, 08:20 PM
Leaf Forever

Hi Everyone: I have been watching the reconstruction job for it was done by the same company that built Air Canada Centre in Toronto. I noticed the drop in attendance to 17200 a loss of 1000 yet basketball was 19033 a drop of 730. You were told 2 years ago that when completed with the bridges the attendance would be back to normal. That cannot be possible for the bridges should hold the same for both sports. So unless they fudge game figures, in reality Ranger fans will lose by close to 400 which is a shame.

Old
02-23-2013, 08:35 PM
Giacomin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Forever View Post
Hi Everyone: I have been watching the reconstruction job for it was done by the same company that built Air Canada Centre in Toronto. I noticed the drop in attendance to 17200 a loss of 1000 yet basketball was 19033 a drop of 730. You were told 2 years ago that when completed with the bridges the attendance would be back to normal. That cannot be possible for the bridges should hold the same for both sports. So unless they fudge game figures, in reality Ranger fans will lose by close to 400 which is a shame.
Screw the real fans and just put in more suites. That is what professional sports have become.

Old
02-25-2013, 03:47 PM
rambler725

Hate to say it but after many years as a season ticket holder i am out after this year..i have center ice on the aisle one of the best views in the building but the garden still sucks...constant parade off people up and down the aisle, 6 or 7 times a period getting up for people who just don't get there on time and watch the whole damm period....hallways is a cluster***** with no room to move..no place to hang out and just relax....and for this i Pay $79 per ticket to sit upstairs....i give those who will stay all the credit in the world ..I thought the new garden woould be better but the only thing better is the sightlines and lighting... everything else makes the experience horrible.the upper deck is now a football stadium...why bang my head in frustration and get fleeced in the wallet for attending...i love the rangers hate the garden..my new seat is in front of my 55 inch high def tv starting next year .

Old
02-25-2013, 03:52 PM
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambler725 View Post
Hate to say it but after many years as a season ticket holder i am out after this year..i have center ice on the aisle one of the best views in the building but the garden still sucks...constant parade off people up and down the aisle, 6 or 7 times a period getting up for people who just don't get there on time and watch the whole damm period....hallways is a cluster***** with no room to move..no place to hang out and just relax....and for this i Pay $79 per ticket to sit upstairs....i give those who will stay all the credit in the world ..I thought the new garden woould be better but the only thing better is the sightlines and lighting... everything else makes the experience horrible.the upper deck is now a football stadium...why bang my head in frustration and get fleeced in the wallet for attending...i love the rangers hate the garden..my new seat is in front of my 55 inch high def tv starting next year .
well dude unfortunately you have crappy value in row 14 - one row behind you is 33% cheaper @ $53. But at center ice those are still good seats. You should be looking into a partner share, I'm sure you'd find takers who would want some playoff rights and could split with you

Old
02-25-2013, 05:49 PM
MessierIsGod

Quote:
There are hundreds of lower level people who would gobble up your seats in a minute. Think twice before giving them up. GG's advice on partnering is a good one.

Old
02-25-2013, 06:41 PM
Hockeyplayer99

As Rambler has said about the seats in the upper bowl they are horrible. I to have Center Ice and after opening night I was annoyed, I felt squished and I am not big and the peopel around me are not that big either. The lobby area is horrible. I was told that would be better as the season went along because people will get used to it. I have not been to a game since as I sold my tickets, but as Rambler said they must still be over crowded there. I also said only thing better is the lighting everything is is horrible.

Old
02-25-2013, 06:44 PM
NYRFAN218
Brass God

I've noticed the flow of the 8th floor concourse between periods improving. I'm not down there often though so maybe it's just the few times I've been down there.

Also, they did make the women's bathroom a men's one for the game on the 17th against the Caps. The weird thing was as I was leaving after the game ended, I noticed it was back to a women's one.

02-25-2013, 07:09 PM
BlueShirts88
Section 208 Row 15

Send a message via AIM to BlueShirts88
I've noticed that the intermission concourse flow is improving each game in the upper bowl. However, I am having a hard time getting out of the building after the 3rd period. I never had trouble in the old garden, but sometimes it takes me 25 minutes to get to street level. Lately, I've just been hanging in my seats for 15 minutes and then going down.

02-25-2013, 07:53 PM
Blueshirt67

Quote:
I get really aggravated with people who constantly walk by and cant wait for a whistle. It got unbearable last year in 328. My seats are now in the corner, sec 209 on the aisle and the aisle is to my left. This means the parade going up and down the aisle doesnt block my view because the ice is to the right. I've sat there recently and thought about where I would want to move to next year and I dont see a more desireable spot in the place. The stairs are right across the concourse and I can beat the crowd to the parking garage after the game. If you want to keep aisle seats you should look to move down lower or to a corner.

Old
02-25-2013, 08:10 PM
NYRandazzo

Quote:
I agree. Personally I feel that your typical rowdy fans which probably is make up ages 18-30's (roughly) can't afford to go to games. It's a bad economy for the particular demographic. A lot of unemployment, student loans, etc. plaguing young adults. It could just be me, but I've noticed an older crowd at games and more families. You know what that means,"oh look Johnny it's your favorite part of the game. Guess what train is going to make it to the Garden first." (Of course we weren't all like that when we were kids. I for one did not shut up at games. Besides the point).

I absolutely hate the 200's crowd. I had corporate @$$holes talking about the Yankees, their stock portfolios, and their mistresses. Then on the other side two older gentleman who BS'ed the whole game. Also had a few families with small children. Just out of respect, I toned down the yelling and cursing. I sat in 223 row 17 (1 in front of Dancin' Larry as a reference point). It sucks that we don't have the 400's (or blue seats) cut off from the regular crowd. Sitting with a rowdy, passionate crowd that is into the game is a helluva lot better than sitting in a section filled with corporate and young kids. I want to be in a section that chants "potvin sucks" and versus Ottawa & Isles chants "beat your wife Potvin beat your wife". Even bringing back the old "red seats suck" chant would be hilarious.

The concourse, presentation, lighting, sight lines are improved. Seats suck. Got smaller and no cup holders. The atmosphere toned down a lot because of the new sections. I want the real blue seats back all the way around the top, not just an obstructed view section. Sucks that you cant walk around. That would take away a lot of clutter in the concourse. Also reducing the size of an already below average size arena and taking away seats to put luxury seats was a dumb idea. They cost more but they aren't always filled. The bottom of the garden behind the nets has started to look like the rink across the river. If they want a full Garden, at least lower the prices in the 100's.

Old
02-25-2013, 08:15 PM
Jax1166

I can't understand you people who want the old MSG

It was dingy, very confusing setup, and old, but not vintage old.

I just went to MSG last weekend and thought it was absolutely beautiful. The best arena I have been to...mind you I haven't been to NJ/New PIT/Columbus/Minnesota.

The concourses are nicer than the club level at most arenas.
The seating is finally normal, and awesome.
The concessions are very creative and not just burgers and dogs.

What is there not to like?

Old
02-25-2013, 08:18 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

The sight lines are very much improved. I was at the Montreal game on Saturday, and let me tell you, the upper sections absolutely sucked. Handle bars block the ice, everyone needs to lean forward in order to see the ice.

Old
02-25-2013, 08:23 PM
MessierIsGod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henriks Broadway Hat View Post
The sight lines are very much improved. I was at the Montreal game on Saturday, and let me tell you, the upper sections absolutely sucked. Handle bars block the ice, everyone needs to lean forward in order to see the ice.
Really? The Bell Centre is one of the best hockey arenas.

Closed Thread