HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The Lars Eller Thread - Coffee Shop Edition

Closed Thread

Old
02-18-2013, 11:45 AM
Forsead

vCash: 500
Interesting how my avatar is pretty relevant in Eller case and he seems to take the message pretty well, since I don't think we saw him played such inspired hockey ever.

Old
02-18-2013, 12:51 PM
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsead View Post
Interesting how my avatar is pretty relevant in Eller case and he seems to take the message pretty well, since I don't think we saw him played such inspired hockey ever.
Yup. I think he's a guy who needs to blossom mentally. He needed to be pushed to be more assertive and to apply his game. I'm still of the opinion that he will be a premier shutdown center in the game eventually.

Old
02-19-2013, 03:43 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Just noticed that after the last few games, Lars eller is now at 51.8% on the dot. Maybe something has clicked all of a sudden.

Old
02-19-2013, 04:29 PM
FuzzyWuzzy
I'm still alive

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Just noticed that after the last few games, Lars eller is now at 51.8% on the dot. Maybe something has clicked all of a sudden.
Except now he's on the wing..

Old
02-19-2013, 04:31 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Lars Eller ‏@Eller_89

MSG tonight. Not quite like the Bell Center, but it will have to do. #NYC
Eller is just too awesome.

Old
02-19-2013, 04:41 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyWuzzy View Post
Except now he's on the wing..
He wasn't playing center with Gally on the wing?

Old
02-19-2013, 04:50 PM
Habaddict

Quote:
I was under the impression Eller was playing wing, but taking some of
the face-offs. As I think was Prust. That might explain the good result,as
they could pick and choose a left or right draw.

Old
02-19-2013, 05:07 PM
FuzzyWuzzy
I'm still alive

Quote:
They moved him around the lineup yesterday but on the starting lineup he was written-in as a winger on the Desharnais' trio.

Old
02-19-2013, 09:16 PM
Ginu

Eller seems to me to be a guy who thrives when he plays with players who think the game really quickly. Galchenyuk seems to be that kind of player. Maybe he's the guy to unlock Eller's potential.

When he's stuck with pluggers on the bottom two lines or when he plays with really predictable players who don't pass the puck back (Gionta), it doesn't seem suited to Eller's game. Eller plays an east-west game, rather than north-south. He needs someone who can follow his game out there.

Old
02-19-2013, 09:19 PM
Andy

Eller has been one of the better players the last 6-7-8 games. Finally getting put on a scoring line and looking good. His play along the boards is exceptional. Some questionable offensive plays here and there, but his defensive game is outstanding and severely underrated. The way he's played the last couple of weeks are why I still believe in his potential.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
Eller seems to me to be a guy who thrives when he plays with players who think the game really quickly. Galchenyuk seems to be that kind of player. Maybe he's the guy to unlock Eller's potential.
The way to unlock Eller's potential is to play him with competent scoring wingers. Has nothing to do with Gally. Attributing Eller's play to Galchenyuk is selling Eller short. Eller has played extremely well the last couple of weeks, but was playing with Moen and Armstrong. Eller has always produced playing with quality linemates, he did it with AK, he did with Desharnais this year for a couple of games and he is doing it again now that he's back with wingers/linemates with some actual skill. He should have been on a scoring line a long time ago. He really is a player we should be developing to his full potential. His defensive game is superb and it gives the habs another option outside of Plekanec to matchup against quality opposition.

Old
02-19-2013, 09:28 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Eller is just awesome.

Old
02-19-2013, 09:29 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
Quote:
Eller is just awesome.
Time to change your avatar.

Old
02-19-2013, 09:30 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Time to change your avatar.
Man, it was time to change my avatar like 5 minutes into the season. I just expected Bourque to get doghoused early on and stuck with eller again. Oh well.

Old
02-19-2013, 09:35 PM

Lars Eller was a beauty tonight. Keep him hungry Therrien.

Old
02-19-2013, 09:37 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Eller has been one of the better players the last 6-7-8 games. Finally getting put on a scoring line and looking good. His play along the boards is exceptional. Some questionable offensive plays here and there, but his defensive game is outstanding and severely underrated. The way he's played the last couple of weeks are why I still believe in his potential.

The way to unlock Eller's potential is to play him with competent scoring wingers. Has nothing to do with Gally. Attributing Eller's play to Galchenyuk is selling Eller short. Eller has played extremely well the last couple of weeks, but was playing with Moen and Armstrong. Eller has always produced playing with quality linemates, he did it with AK, he did with Desharnais this year for a couple of games and he is doing it again now that he's back with wingers/linemates with some actual skill. He should have been on a scoring line a long time ago. He really is a player we should be developing to his full potential. His defensive game is superb and it gives the habs another option outside of Plekanec to matchup against quality opposition.
quoted for truth...

Looking at next year though, I don't see any rational starting the season with Pleks-Eller-Galch-DD all in the lineup, unless one gets moved to the wing.
Pleks/Eller are too valuable defensively to be moved, Galch is the future... that leaves DD. Hard to move b/c his value to us is probably greater than what we'd get in trade, plus the whole francophone issue (making any trade, let alone one with a mediocre return, that much tougher for the GM to defend).

I hope Eller gets finally slotted in, on a permanent basis, as one of our top-3 C's for the forseable future, but I am nervous that the numbers game will end up with him getting moved elsewhere.

Old
02-19-2013, 09:46 PM
Et le But

Eller, you sly dog...
Quote:
Lars Eller ‏@Eller_89

Heard some SI girls was at MSG tonight. Disappointed that @NinaAgdal wasn't there also to support a fellow dane...

Old
02-19-2013, 09:48 PM
Undertakerqc

Galchenyuk + Eller. We are starting to be real solid at center, and we will be for years to come. Eller reminds me a lot of Mikko Koivu.

Old
02-19-2013, 09:52 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 View Post
Lars Eller was a beauty tonight. Keep him hungry Therrien.
Exactly. Why oh why should Therrien gives him more icetime? He's playing great now. Maybe he would still play great with more icetime, but we're winning! While Eller is playing the best hockey of his career. He's fine in the role he's having right now. He's blossoming his own way.

Old
02-19-2013, 09:55 PM
Ginu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I meant that we have too many players that aren't suited to Eller's game. It's not a shot at Eller, it's actually a compliment. We can put him with competent scoring wingers but, what I meant was, guys like Gionta aren't going to be good for him. Not all of our scoring wingers can keep up with how he plays the game.

He needs players who can play a give-and-go style, like Gally. I love the Prust - Galchenyuk - Eller line. When Gallagher's back, I'd be weary of moving Eller off it. Maybe Pacioretty - Plakanec - Gallagher on the other? Then we can do something like this:

Pacioretty - Plekanec - Gallagher
Prust - Galchenyuk - Eller
Bourque - Desharnais - Cole
Moen - White - Armstrong

to give DD his two big wingers in Bourque and Cole. The problem is there's no room for Gionta. For me, we have to choose between DD and Gionta. We can't have both.

Old
02-19-2013, 09:57 PM
Lizard King*

Eller4Prez

Old
02-19-2013, 10:08 PM
Bekbe

Eller give us a great center line in the future with Galchenyuk and Plekanec, i'm not sure whats gonna happen with Desharnais and his contract this summer but if I have to choose between Eller and Desharnais, I just keep Eller...got skills, big body and good defencively. Unless they move DD to wings I dont see agreat future for DD with this team

Old
02-19-2013, 10:08 PM
Playmaker09
Valar Morghulis

5 points and a +2 rating in the 6 games he's played in the top 9.

Old
02-19-2013, 10:20 PM
Madam Kadri
Fight, Troll, Score

Mmm, Danish is tasty.

Old
02-19-2013, 10:33 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
quoted for truth...

Looking at next year though, I don't see any rational starting the season with Pleks-Eller-Galch-DD all in the lineup, unless one gets moved to the wing.
Pleks/Eller are too valuable defensively to be moved, Galch is the future... that leaves DD. Hard to move b/c his value to us is probably greater than what we'd get in trade, plus the whole francophone issue (making any trade, let alone one with a mediocre return, that much tougher for the GM to defend).

I hope Eller gets finally slotted in, on a permanent basis, as one of our top-3 C's for the forseable future, but I am nervous that the numbers game will end up with him getting moved elsewhere.
Certainly hope not. Having him and Gally as our 1-2 punch, or adding Plek and having them all three, would be amazing, especially if Eller keeps improving offensively.

DD should have been moved to the wing at the beginning of the year.

Old
02-19-2013, 10:39 PM
Maxpac

Eller-Galchenyuk-Gallagher anybody?

Closed Thread