HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

ATD 2013 Draft Draft Thread IV

Closed Thread

Old
02-19-2013, 05:54 PM
Stoneberg
Bored

vCash: 500
Halifax selects Lester Patrick, coach.

Old
Darth Yoda

vCash: 931
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakmur View Post
It doesn't really matter, does it? Eddie Shore was big, but not huge, fore his era.

A few drafts ago, seventieslord came up with a chart to give a rough idea of how sizes would change.

If a player was born before 1970, he would be 1 inch taller and 10 pounds heavier.
Before 1950, +2 and +20
Before 1930, +3 and +30
Before 1910, +4 and +40
Before 1890, +5 and +50

Eddie Shore was born in 1902, and was listed at 5'11" and 190 lbs. With this chart, he would land at 6'3" 230 lbs. That seems to line up well with how I described him above - "big, but not huge".
Yeah, but a 6'3" 230 pound Eddie Shore doing some dirty work on a star player takes quite the man to do work on in return. I bet there were bigger players then Shore back then, how did they do when challenging him for something he did? Important becouse that perhaps tells us something about how later tough guys would affect his dirty play in the ATD format, and if you were in fact instead talking about his ability to control the game physically please excuse me, but i think 63 230 pounds is nothing to scuff at there either really.

Last edited by Darth Yoda: 02-19-2013 at 06:03 PM. Reason: ADD
Old
EagleBelfour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturminator View Post
Smith was known as somewhat defensively questionable when he was young, but improved in time. I know that because I found evidence of it and went after HO's team with that tidbit waaaay back in the ATD#10 finals. You can go check the finals thread for what I found...hopefully the link still works. His Vs2 scoring finishes are actually very similar to Rick Martin's, with a bit less longevity:

Rick Martin:
82, 75, 72, 70, 63, 62, 58, 51

Sid Smith:
83, 77, 73, 65, 64, 57

...though both guys were primarily triggermen and produced more goals than assists, so raw scoring finishes will underrate them somewhat (though their lack of playmaking is a drawback). Smith led the Leafs in playoff goalscoring twice in years they won the Cup, which is pretty nice. He's a strong pick at this point, and is definitely a viable ATD scoringline player, though he's not the only one still out there...
Thank You for that, and I will surely read ATD10 finals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturminator View Post
Just for reference, here are Herbie Lewis' peak Vs2 finishes:

Herbie Lewis:
93, 91, 77, 71, 70, 67, 50

I meant to comment on the Lewis pick when he was drafted because I think he was a very good value, but I wasn't around at the time. Lewis' offensive production is deceptive if you only look at his raw points finishes because both times he finished in the top-10 in scoring, he was only a few points from the #2 scorer, in spite of placing only 6th and 9th overall in the scoring race. If we want to talk about left wings who are real bargains at this point, the conversation should start with Lewis, who was also a strong two-way player.
Yes, Herbie Lewis was #1 on our list for that round, we can of knew he would never last. He is indeed an excellent selection in the early 300's.

Old
02-19-2013, 05:55 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Overpass savaged Herbie Lewis in our playoff series a couple of years back for getting a large number of his points on a strong Detroit powerplay and argued that you wouldn't get that kind of production from him in the ATD unless you put him on the PP.

Old
02-19-2013, 05:58 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

I have HawkeyTown's list.

He picks Art Duncan, D and posted this little blurb with him:

Quote:
This should give me a top-notch 1st PP unit with Housley-Duncan (LHS-RHS) on the point to go with Bossy up front.
Lester Patrick was going to be my pick and Tommy Ivan was my backup, so I might be awhile. If anyone wants to take this pick off my hands, I'd listen to offers until I figure out who I want.

Old
02-19-2013, 05:59 PM
VanIslander
Hope for better 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Overpass savaged Herbie Lewis in our playoff series a couple of years back for getting a large number of his points on a strong Detroit powerplay and argued that you wouldn't get that kind of production from him in the ATD unless you put him on the PP.
Noted. Robitaille and Lewis for the LW PP slots; Bun Cook will have to settle for the LW PK with Lewis taking the other slot there.

He is third liner on our squad so at regular strength his defense, speed and puck management are more important skills than his scoring 5 on 5.

Old
02-19-2013, 06:01 PM
Stoneberg
Bored

I was between Patrick and Duncan, just couldn't think of any way to fit Duncan in to my top 4 with the 3 dmen I already have.

Old
02-19-2013, 06:02 PM
VanIslander
Hope for better 2015

348 TheDevilMadeMe - New Jersey Swamp Devils - ON THE CLOCK (and you know it!)

349 markrander87 - Cincinnati Fireworks
350 BillyShoe1721 - Philadelphia Flyers
351 JFA87-66-99 - Pittsburgh Bankers
352 Johnny Engine - Yekaterinburg Automobilist
353 VanIslander & Hedberg - Hershey Bears

Old
02-19-2013, 06:04 PM
Rob Scuderi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Yoda View Post
Yeah, but a 6'3" 230 pound Eddie Shore doing some dirty work on a star player takes quite the man to do work on in return. I bet there were bigger players then Shore back then, how did they do when challenging him for something he did? Important becouse that perhaps tells us something about how later tough guys would affect his dirty play in the ATD format.
One of my takeaways from reading the Eddie Shore book was realizing how absurd the rough treatment he received was. I'd probably be a bit of a nutter too if I had to endure that much abuse. The reputation of his toughness is well-earned and beyond reproach imo.

Old
02-19-2013, 06:04 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Expect my pick in 2-3 hours, I guess. Didn't really think that both the coaches I was targeting would be drafted one right after the other.

Old
02-19-2013, 06:08 PM
BraveCanadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
OMG. If lack of great defensive play is the hallmark of "flawed" in your books for a scoring line winger then tons of flawed players have already been drafted!!
You're just reading too much into what I said.

Up until recently the offensive players had offensive resumes that let you overlook the other aspects.

Now we're down to the guys who don't have enough in one area to outweigh the others.

I still think there are plenty of forwards who are a better value than defensemen right now.

Old
02-19-2013, 06:11 PM
overpass

Quote:
I did. I'll say more about that argument once another player is drafted.

But even if Lewis was the beneficiary of his offensive situation I still think he's a fine pick in the 300s.

Old
02-19-2013, 06:13 PM
Sturminator
I voted for Kodos

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
Noted. Robitaille and Lewis for the LW PP slots; Bun Cook will have to settle for the LW PK with Lewis taking the other slot there.

He is third liner on our squad so at regular strength his defense, speed and puck management are more important skills than his scoring 5 on 5.
Yeah, Lewis definitely belongs in there on the 2nd PP ahead of Cook. Nice synergy with the pick given the composition of your team.

Old
02-19-2013, 08:21 PM
markrander87

I'm ready to pick, no need for a PM.

Old
02-19-2013, 09:12 PM
Johnny Engine

If someone's going to be around in the middle of tomorrow morning, let me know. I'd like to pick as soon as I wake up, but if that's not in the card, I'd like to leave a list with someone.

Old
02-19-2013, 09:27 PM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakmur View Post
It doesn't really matter, does it? Eddie Shore was big, but not huge, fore his era.

A few drafts ago, seventieslord came up with a chart to give a rough idea of how sizes would change.

If a player was born before 1970, he would be 1 inch taller and 10 pounds heavier.
Before 1950, +2 and +20
Before 1930, +3 and +30
Before 1910, +4 and +40
Before 1890, +5 and +50

Eddie Shore was born in 1902, and was listed at 5'11" and 190 lbs. With this chart, he would land at 6'3" 230 lbs. That seems to line up well with how I described him above - "big, but not huge".
How did seventieslord came up with this chart? Hope it involved some math , though knowing him I guess it did.

I still hate those kind of thing because I know people around my size and height who are CLEARLY weaker or stronger than me depending on various factors.

Old
02-19-2013, 09:28 PM
BubbaBoot

For what it's worth, I put a Scott Stevens bio up on the ATD 2013 Bio thread.

Old
02-19-2013, 09:30 PM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaBoot View Post
You should link it in your roster thread on Stevens' name like other GMs did.If you don't know how , quote the roster post of another Gm and copy paste the part where they linked a bio on one of their player and replace the link and players name with yours.

Old
02-19-2013, 09:43 PM
VanIslander
Hope for better 2015

Quote:
I noticed.

I'd forgotten he'd won the Memorial Cup. Funny seeing him as a junior again though.

Quote:
• Games Played... 2nd for defensemen
- Career PLAYOFFS ... 3rd for defensemen
• PIMs Career ... 3rd for defensemen
- Career PLAYOFFS ... 2nd for defensemen
I didn't know he was top-3 careerwise in games played and PIMs in the regular season and in the playoffs among all defensemen, but it makes sense.

Quote:
.. during the '89 World Championships, Stevens took a skate to the face, courtesy of his boyhood idol Borje Salming, which resulted in a gash requiring 88 stitches to seal up. Ever the warrior, Stevens missed a mere game, and, wearing a protective visor, came back to score the game-winning goal against Czechoslovakia, giving Canada the silver medal.
Another trip down memory lane! I bought a Capitals shirt that year. Then he left us to go to the lousy Blues! BOOO!

Quote:
Stevens retorted, "What kind of respect do I get? Just because I'm a physical player, it's O.K. to come at me and do what you want? Hey, it's a hockey game. It's not figure skating.

Old
02-19-2013, 09:53 PM
markrander87

Quote:
Expect my pick in 2-3 hours, I guess. Didn't really think that both the coaches I was targeting would be drafted one right after the other.
What's the ETA with your pick. I can stay up another hour, if longer I'll have to leave a list.

Old
02-19-2013, 10:15 PM
BubbaBoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jafar View Post
You should link it in your roster thread on Stevens' name like other GMs did.If you don't know how , quote the roster post of another Gm and copy paste the part where they linked a bio on one of their player and replace the link and players name with yours.
I noticed that on a couple of team rosters, a neat idea. I'm going to eventually, just going to take a little time.

Am I mistaken or are there no other bios for Stevens?

Old
02-19-2013, 10:16 PM
BubbaBoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring Back Scuderi View Post
One of my takeaways from reading the Eddie Shore book was realizing how absurd the rough treatment he received was. I'd probably be a bit of a nutter too if I had to endure that much abuse. The reputation of his toughness is well-earned and beyond reproach imo.
Yeah I read it too......boyo did he have a reputation with the refs....they really called him tight apparently.

Old
02-19-2013, 10:18 PM
monster_bertuzzi

I wonder whats takin' TDMM.

Old
02-19-2013, 10:18 PM
Rob Scuderi

Quote:
I noticed that on a couple of team rosters, a neat idea. I'm going to eventually, just going to take a little time.

Am I mistaken or are there no other bios for Stevens?
I believe that there is not. I looked back a few years when making the stickied bio thread so I must not have found one for Stevens.

Old
02-19-2013, 10:37 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
I wonder whats takin' TDMM.
I didn't get back to dinner until about an hour and a half ago, then had to start figuring out what I wanted to do with my next 2 picks. Expect a decision very soon.

Closed Thread