HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Russia
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Sochi 2014

Old
01-31-2013, 02:27 AM
Fantomas

vCash: 500
Very happy to be wrong about Markov. Looks great and would be nice to test him at this year's WC.

How about an Emelin-Markov pairing? Wouldn't mind.

At worst, he should be the primary powerplay pointman with Kovalchuk on the left side.

Fantomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 02:31 AM
Fantomas

How about:

Mozyakin - Malkin - Radulov
Kovalchuk - Datsyuk - Tarasenko
Ovechkin - Tereschenko - Kuznetsov
Popov - Anisimov - Kulemin

Medvedev - Nikulin
Emelin - Markov
Kulikov - Tyutin
Voynov - Volchenkov

Varlamov - Barulin

In reality, we'll probably see another couple of KHL defenders there, in place of Volchenkov and maybe Voynov.

Yakupov might be ready.

Old
01-31-2013, 08:14 AM
boris4c

Emelin is a decent defender for the Montreal Canadiens, but this is mostly due to the numerous hits he delivers every night. He's a monster when it comes to that, but I'm not convinced that he would excel on a large ice surface.

boris4c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 01:42 AM
duga

I'm really surprised so many predicted rosters are missing a guy who's had already a lot of positive influence in the past on the sbornaja.

He's been on the team 3-times over last 5 years for WHC, helping to win 2 Titels and reach 1 Final. 2011 the coach decided not to nominate him as an extra forward while the tournament (and went with Ovechkin who's value for the sbornaja never was on the same level)... which resulted in the worst russian final ranking for quite a few years, and the only tournament they missed the final for 5 years... plus it ended the coach's time on the national team.

This guy has shown more then once, he's clutch: got 4 Goals and 2 Assissts in 3 final game appereances, having had a very big influence on 2 titels. (Remember Kovaltchuck's legendary Overtime-PP GWG against Canada... it wouldn't have happened, hadn't this guy one-timed a puck jumping back from the back-boards into the net at the begining of the 3rd Period and put up Tereshenko for the tie.)

This guy can play LW where he can create and finish off plays all himself on a regular base, he does play RW nowadays, where he isn't the same goalscoringthread like from his off-wing, but plays a very strong all-around game on this side. Pair him with an elite center, and you got the complete package on the RW. When paired with an elite Center (ask Backström) you see how smart he acctually can play. Than he loves to share the puck, making this nice little plays, and will finish his chances when being put up nicely timed. Plus he is very good on PK, is very good in stealing pucks (only behind datsyuk), has a good read of opposing passing lines and does close them effectively with his stick. On the RW his board play on the D is surprisingly good (thx to his super fine hands and again long stick), on the LW not on the same level. On PP you can bring him beside the net or on the blueline. He still doesn't like to play the body on regular base, but gotten much stronger over the last years. And while we recently haven't seen the god-mode as often as a few years ago, his B-Game(?) has improved so much, that even on a bad night he doesn't end up as a liability anymore (unlike Ovechkin e.g.).

So I ask: Why do so many guys in here go without the best 2-way wing (among the guys with elite skills) russia has to offer on their roster?

If you don't believe me... just ask a Canes' fan. (or a Caps supporter)

duga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 04:11 PM
Fulcrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantomas View Post
How about:

Mozyakin - Malkin - Radulov
Kovalchuk - Datsyuk - Tarasenko
Ovechkin - Tereschenko - Kuznetsov
Popov - Anisimov - Kulemin

Medvedev - Nikulin
Emelin - Markov
Kulikov - Tyutin
Voynov - Volchenkov

Varlamov - Barulin

In reality, we'll probably see another couple of KHL defenders there, in place of Volchenkov and maybe Voynov.

Yakupov might be ready.
I like it. Why Popov and not Perezhogin?

I'm also skeptical about Kulemin. I get to watch him quiet a bit in Toronto. His finishing is not NT calibre and his 2 way game is just average. He's a horse and all, but I think there may be someone better. Like Perezhogin, who's 2-way game is also good but he can finish and create much better + on big ice surface he's a better player IMO.

At this point I would take Voynov over Volchenkov, and 1 other KHL defender.

Fulcrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 02:34 PM
Fantomas

I liked Popov at the WC's last year. Perezhogin would do well though, I'm sure.

Kulemin, Perezhogin, Popov, and d-men like Belov and Ryasensky are all close calls I think.

Old
02-11-2013, 09:41 PM
Fantomas

Some more thoughts.

I'm fine with Semin being on the team. He tends to show up and always play well for us. I don't suppose it should matter that he doesn't always show up in the NHL. But I am not the biggest fan.

Voynov looks GREAT this year. Logged 26 minutes for the Kings tonight with two assists. All the makings of a workhorse. No longer a prospect. A man.

Too bad Orlov's development hasn't gone well. I am still very positive about him, but he struggled early in the year and then got badly hurt. I wish him well.

Who would be a good choice to play on the right side in place of Volch? Ryasensky is LD I think, but is gritty. Would be nice to have someone with physicality. Volch provides that but just isn't the same player.

Last edited by Fantomas: 02-11-2013 at 09:56 PM.
Old
02-15-2013, 01:59 AM
malkinfan

Send a message via MSN to malkinfan
Guys good projections. I lkie Voynov, this might be his break out year, he is currently on the top pairing and red hot of late.... One guy who I think is very underated is Nikitin. Very big mobile D-man who has looked great as of late. I watch Columbus closely. Even though he is on a bad team, he looks great. I can't say enough great things, every pass is right on the money, very strong and quick and great shot. I think he is one of most underated guys in the league. He often picks up the slack of partner Tyutin who at times is a give away machine. I think him and Voynov are 2 of the strongest canidates.

As far as forwards,

Kovalchuk Datsyuk Semin
Mozyakin Malkin Kulemin (cliche but how could you not be tempted)
Ovechkin Kuznetsov Tarasenko (re-unite some of that NT magic btwn K/T)
Radulov open open (Keep Rads on the 4th unit so there is a big time sniper on all 4 units. Open spotss to preferably guys with a lot of speed.

Open spots: Tereshenko, Shipachyov, Kagarlitsky, Zherdev, Varnakov, Popov, Burmistrov, Skorokhodov, haha should I dare say, okay maybe if he puts duck tape around his mouth-Anisin!

This time around these guys are too young but maybe for future WC rosters I would like to see Malykhin, Lazarev, Petrov, Plotnikov, Timkin, Filatov, Panarin, Bocharov, Dadonov, Alshevskys, Orlov. All these guys have some potential, in few more years if they all choose to stay in KHL I would imagine they would be stars of the league. So these guys would be the first era of maturing aged stars from guys who were around draft aged when KHL started.

malkinfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 02:03 AM
malkinfan

Send a message via MSN to malkinfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantomas View Post
Voynov looks GREAT this year. Logged 26 minutes for the Kings tonight with two assists. All the makings of a workhorse. No longer a prospect. A man.

Too bad Orlov's development hasn't gone well. I am still very positive about him, but he struggled early in the year and then got badly hurt. I wish him well.
Yes, Orlov has so much pure talent, but injuries have hurt him. Sometimes I wish he was a forward. Great puckhandller and moves, silky smooth -great shot.

malkinfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 05:55 AM
Paxton Fettel

Do you guys really believe in our chances in 2014? To be honest unless home ice advantage turns into some incredible advantage for us, in which case we might stand a chance, but given our depth pool and the performance of our players recently, I don't see Russia even making it to the semifinal.

Do you think Frolov has a chance of making the team? He was pretty good for coach Bill back in 2004. And he seems to be playing pretty well this season, doubling his production since last year.

Paxton Fettel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 08:17 AM
MaxV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton Fettel View Post
Do you guys really believe in our chances in 2014? To be honest unless home ice advantage turns into some incredible advantage for us, in which case we might stand a chance, but given our depth pool and the performance of our players recently, I don't see Russia even making it to the semifinal.

Do you think Frolov has a chance of making the team? He was pretty good for coach Bill back in 2004. And he seems to be playing pretty well this season, doubling his production since last year.
Anything can happen at this sort of tournament.

This Russian team is very talented and the fact that the games will be played on big ice could and should be an advantage.

Can they be upset? Sure.
Can they beat any team? I don't see why not.

MaxV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 02:59 PM
Fantomas

Quote:

What's wrong with our players?

I'm very excited about the progress of guys like Tarasenko, Kuznetsov, Voynov. Markov is back. Varlamov is fit to handle the starting duties.

This will be a great team.

Old
02-19-2013, 03:03 PM
Fantomas

A Nikitin-Tyutin pairing would be okay. They know one another well.

That said, Nikitin doesn't seem as good on the big ice.

Old
02-19-2013, 10:00 PM
MaximusT

Quote:

I share the same concerns. The thing with our team in 2010 was that our top talent was head and shoulders above the competition, and it more than made up for our crappy defense and subpar goaltending.

Fast forward to now, and there's surely a different picture. Our top end forwards are still great, but their overall level compared to 2010 has fallen a bit. Most notably being OV and Semin (though hes looked good this year so far). Malkin was obviously the best player in the world last year, and Kovy is still going to be great but other than that, our forward depth is lacking imo. I don't even wanna start with the defense.

MaximusT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 10:23 PM
Agalloch1986

Worked on this for awhile I think this is a very formidable Russian squad!

Forwards:

Malkin – Datsyuk - Radulov

Kovalchuk - Ovechkin – Semin

Frolov - Morozov- Mozyakin

Kulemin - Kuznetsov – Tarasenko

Zherdev - Shirokov

Defense:

Gonchar – Nikulin

Markov – Emelin

Kalinin – Voynov

Medvedev – Nikitin

Goalies:

Varlamov

Khabibulin

Barulin

Is Komarov Russian? I heard he is even though he is born in Estonia. He deserves a spot there he's a tough kid and might make a good penalty killing tandem with Tarasenko they are both good, tough hockey players with high compete levels.

Last edited by Agalloch1986: 02-23-2013 at 01:54 PM.
Agalloch1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 02:58 PM
boris4c

Leo Komarov is Russian but he has featured for Finland since the start of his career.

Old
02-24-2013, 02:54 PM
Franck
Insolent Upstart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agalloch1986 View Post
Is Komarov Russian? I heard he is even though he is born in Estonia. He deserves a spot there he's a tough kid and might make a good penalty killing tandem with Tarasenko they are both good, tough hockey players with high compete levels.
Estonian-born ethnic Russian who moved to a Swedish-speaking town in Finland at a very young age. He's Finnish as far as hockey goes, but he's sure got one interesting background.

Franck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 11:43 AM
MaxV

Slava Voynov has been playing really well this year. I think he should be among the leading candidates for the D spot.

Ovechkin-Datsyuk-Semin
I loved the chemistry that they showed together at last year's WHC.

Mozyakin-Malkin-Radulov
I wouldn't put him on the team if it was in NA, but can't keep Mozyakin off the roster on big ice. This could be a great line.

Kovalchuk-Anisimov-Tarasenko
Kovy and Vlad had great chemistry playing together. I'm not sure if Anisimov is the best choice for this spot, but he's ok. This might Tikhonov also, since he has chemistry with Kovy and Vlad.

Kuznetsov-Tereschenko-Yakupov
I'm more sure about Tereschenko then about Anisimov. He isn't flashy, but his all-around game can be valuable for the team, as he has already shown at multiple WHC. Yakupov is a wild card. He has impressed so far and might already be a better choice then guys like Kulemin, Popov and Perezhogin.

Perezhogin
If an extra forward is brought, then there are several candidates. They might go with another Center for flexibility, Tikhonov or Schipachyov maybe.

Nikulin - Medvedev
Very solid all-around pair of blue-liners who have a lot of experience on big ice. They understand where to be and should be solid.

Markov - Kulikov
Savy veteran and young upstart, this could be a good play-making combination.

Voynov - Tyutin
Both are having a good season in NHL. Fedor might be better on smaller ice, but I think he is good enough as a puck-mover to play well on big ice.

A.Belov
Bilya might go with 8 D-men, in which case I would chose Biryukov. He might make the roster anyway. I like Belov's game, he is turning into a solid all-around player.

Varlamov
Bryzgalov
Barulin

Varly and Ilya have been a bit inconsistant, but they have shown in the past that, when they get hot, they can carry a team. I wouldn't discount Barulin either. He is also a capable goaltender.

Last edited by MaxV: 03-06-2013 at 07:16 AM.
Old
03-05-2013, 01:13 PM
boris4c

It doesn't look good as far as goaltenders are concerned. I'm not confident about the current goaltenders, but I suppose Varlamov will get the starting spot. It's too bad that guys like Makarov and Vasilevski are too young and therefore not ready to compete in Sochi 2014.

At least there is a bright future with those two.

Old
03-06-2013, 02:00 PM
MaxV

Semin is BEASTING in Carolina.

See this is exactly what I mean. When he wants it, he can be great. And that's the way he plays when he wear Russian colors.

Old
03-06-2013, 07:03 PM
Agalloch1986

I don't understand why no one has Gonchar on their roster. Sure he's 38, but he's still playing 22+ minutes a game (against Philadelphia he played 28 minutes!) and has been a dependable, solid asset for a depleted Ottawa squad. He brings leadership and experience to an otherwise fairly young Russian defense. Also, I would add Volchenkov to the mix and maybe swap out Medvedev who is kind of under-sized and might struggle against the bigger Canadian and American players.

- Joel

Agalloch1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 09:08 PM
Atas2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by boris4c View Post
Emelin is a decent defender for the Montreal Canadiens, but this is mostly due to the numerous hits he delivers every night. He's a monster when it comes to that, but I'm not convinced that he would excel on a large ice surface.
You do realize he came to Montreal after a pretty successful stretch on the big ice?

Montreal fans are only starting to discover what he is capable of mostly because he was forced by the Habs in that hitter role, which is perfectly normal as that was what Montreal needed, a rugged D-man finally.

What a lot of ppl might not know he's a pretty smart person and a smart player too as a result. He can very well adapt to different playing styles and systems. there also is the fact that there is probaaly no other coach than Billyaletdinov who knows Yemelin better and it goes either way. Yemelin will fit into Bill's system seamlessly.

Atas2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 09:28 PM
Atas2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by boris4c View Post
It doesn't look good as far as goaltenders are concerned. I'm not confident about the current goaltenders, but I suppose Varlamov will get the starting spot. It's too bad that guys like Makarov and Vasilevski are too young and therefore not ready to compete in Sochi 2014.

At least there is a bright future with those two.
It actually does. There is a whole variety of goaltenders in the NHl to chose from. They don't play for good teams especially on defence so their stats might be not telling, but nonetheless even Nabokov is still in the mix. Anyway Varlamov can be considered the top candidate. There are also certaint htiga about his game that make him perfect for big ice. And as for big ice, a guy like Rinne for example struggled mightily outside the Nashville system and on the big ice.(As did Bryzgalov obviously) Bobrovsky is a little younger, but he's pretty much up there too. Khudobin needs a coming out too. He could easily challenge Varlamov and Bobrovsky in his age group if given the chance.

For Sochi I see a variety of combinations with only Varlamov being a lock, but not necessarily a lock as a clear cut no.1 starter. that should be decided even during the games.

Barulin and Koshechkin could get the nod for their big ice experience too. Make no mistake they are both great goalies.

And we shouldn't get ahead of the horse about young guys. They did look great on junior level, but there is a long road ahead of them before we can talk about them playing for the NT.

Old
03-06-2013, 09:40 PM
Atas2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agalloch1986 View Post
I don't understand why no one has Gonchar on their roster. Sure he's 38, but he's still playing 22+ minutes a game (against Philadelphia he played 28 minutes!) and has been a dependable, solid asset for a depleted Ottawa squad. He brings leadership and experience to an otherwise fairly young Russian defense. Also, I would add Volchenkov to the mix and maybe swap out Medvedev who is kind of under-sized and might struggle against the bigger Canadian and American players.

- Joel
1. Gonchar obviously has lost a step and there will be enough leadership on that team.

2. Volchenkov might make the roster, but it seems Bill doesn't see him necessarilly as a lock.

3. Medvedev is one of our best defencemen. You don't really know him it seems. Btw he's pretty much the size of Letang and I don't see how Letang wouldn't make the canadian roster.

Old
03-06-2013, 09:52 PM
boris4c

Khudobin seems promising indeed, and it's too bad he's a backup to Rask who also happens to be playing on one of the better teams in the NHL.