HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Bills Off-Season 2013 Style (Wilson, Barnett, McGee released, T Jackson re-signed)

Closed Thread

Old
02-18-2013, 03:27 AM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
Packers cut Charles Woodson.

Yeah he's old...but want. Badly. (This is assuming he was released for cap reasons, not for health)
He has broke his collarbone twice in the past three years. Though he still had 2 years left on his contract at 36. His salary was hefty. Packers are trying to get younger. They could easily Franchise Tag Jennings but they won't. I just hope he doesn't go to Miami.

Old
02-18-2013, 07:22 PM
SECRET SQUIRREL

I would imagine Woodson will look to go to a contender for one last shot, doubt he would even consider the Bills.

Old
02-19-2013, 12:07 AM
buffalowing88

Quote:
Originally Posted by SECRET SQUIRREL View Post
I would imagine Woodson will look to go to a contender for one last shot, doubt he would even consider the Bills.
Agreed. There are pipe dreams and then there is the idea that we could ever sign a veteran player to end his career here. Mario knew what he was getting into when he came here and he got paid for it but most importantly, he knew we had a strong young core. Woodson will likely be a Pat if Reed doesn't go there. Bad news for us either way since whoever is the quarterback next season won't be elite.

Also, for all the Kelsay cutting posts I just want to chime in that I'm on board as well. I don't care if he has a "motor". He has limited physical attributes to be successful and I'm just going to keep my fingers crossed that Anderson can stay healthy next year and it won't be an issue.

Old
02-19-2013, 12:15 AM
Der Jaeger

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalowing88 View Post
Also, for all the Kelsay cutting posts I just want to chime in that I'm on board as well. I don't care if he has a "motor". He has limited physical attributes to be successful and I'm just going to keep my fingers crossed that Anderson can stay healthy next year and it won't be an issue.
Buffalo needs a replacement first. With the scheme change, Barnett wasn't a fit. And McGee's body failed him. But Kelsay could still start at OLB/DE hybrid if Buffalo addresses other needs. Until you get a replacement (a guy like Paul Kruger is a great fit), you can't cut Kelsay.

Old
02-19-2013, 12:18 AM
whiplash

However they utilize him, Kelsay should never start the play with his hand off the ground. Ever.

Old
02-19-2013, 01:39 AM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
These people on WGR that want Stevie cut/traded are complete idiots.
I see this wasn't ever addressed. But i'm guessing what they were complaining about was this:

http://www.wgr550.com/pages/15445943.php?

Was gone on a cruise for a couple weeks so I just came across this when I made my rounds today to get caught up. Maybe it's extreme they want that but I don't think you can blame them. He came off as rather cocky and lazy here. Not to mention immature. They who are professional trainers are giving me a regime i'm gunna ignore. They know what they are doing, they went to school for this kinda stuff. Then to say how you would perform better if you gave 100%. This isn't the first time Stevie has rubbed people the wrong way. Remember 2 years ago when he got the celebration penalty in Jersey? He said he learned his lesson. Then in the last game at New England he pulled the same nonsense and Gailey yanked him out of the game. Is he good at what he does? Sure. But the guy definitely brings some unnecessary baggage to the table. For a guy who is supposed to be a leader thats just unacceptable to a T

Old
02-19-2013, 01:42 AM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by SECRET SQUIRREL View Post
Avoid. He's pretty old now and he's broke the same collarbone twice in two years. He can still make some plays on the field but he's no longer intimidating by any stretch. Don't think Packers fans are too sad to see him go aside from the fact he's been with the franchise for a long time.

Old
02-19-2013, 08:38 AM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK Triple Threat View Post
I see this wasn't ever addressed. But i'm guessing what they were complaining about was this:

http://www.wgr550.com/pages/15445943.php?

Was gone on a cruise for a couple weeks so I just came across this when I made my rounds today to get caught up. Maybe it's extreme they want that but I don't think you can blame them. He came off as rather cocky and lazy here. Not to mention immature. They who are professional trainers are giving me a regime i'm gunna ignore. They know what they are doing, they went to school for this kinda stuff. Then to say how you would perform better if you gave 100%. This isn't the first time Stevie has rubbed people the wrong way. Remember 2 years ago when he got the celebration penalty in Jersey? He said he learned his lesson. Then in the last game at New England he pulled the same nonsense and Gailey yanked him out of the game. Is he good at what he does? Sure. But the guy definitely brings some unnecessary baggage to the table. For a guy who is supposed to be a leader thats just unacceptable to a T
He produces. End of story.

Old
02-19-2013, 09:52 AM
whiplash

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcv View Post
He produces. End of story.
Seriously. It amazes me that anyone is still on the fence about/not a fan of Stevie. He's the definition of a blue collar player on the field and he has fun doing it. Who the hell cares what he says to the media? If he can put up 1000 yards for three years straight on this turd of a team, he's A-OK by any measure

Old
02-19-2013, 12:11 PM
whiplash

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2013...nally-reported

Easier to swallow. Still don't give two ***** about Jackson

Old
02-19-2013, 12:59 PM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiplash View Post

Something that hasn't been answered is whether or not there are incentives on top of the $1.75M. Rotoworld says there is another $2.75M in incentives (some might be completely unreachable, who knows), which if right would mean they were never wrong, just didn't have all the details.

Old
02-19-2013, 03:19 PM
whiplash

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcv View Post
Something that hasn't been answered is whether or not there are incentives on top of the $1.75M. Rotoworld says there is another $2.75M in incentives (some might be completely unreachable, who knows), which if right would mean they were never wrong, just didn't have all the details.
Fair enough but I would be blown away if he made more than 3, even if he started every single game.
Hell, I'd even be in favor of that. I'm all for incentivized contracts. Do the same thing for Fitz. Give him a 2 base and 4 mil in incentives if he keeps the starter position for every game and more on top of that if he gets us to the playoffs (pipedream, I know)

Old
02-19-2013, 03:31 PM
Takeo

Quote:

The QB position is in flux, so I think a veteran like Jackson is necessary. He has 5+ years of experience in the West Coast offense and should be able to run some of Marrone's read/option if he incorporates it. Jackson is a good fit, hopefully as a backup.

Old
02-19-2013, 03:39 PM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo View Post
The QB position is in flux, so I think a veteran like Jackson is necessary. He has 5+ years of experience in the West Coast offense and should be able to run some of Marrone's read/option if he incorporates it. Jackson is a good fit, hopefully as a backup.
Right. They need 2 veterans and, hopefully, a draftee. 2 veterans to, at the very least, compete in camp for one spot (either as short-term starter or back-up to rookie). Fitz was always going to be 1 of those guys due to his contract. Jackson is the other. It's all whatever. Alex Smith isn't gonna make this team any better. Jackson isn't, either, but he didn't cost anything.

Old
02-19-2013, 09:33 PM
Takeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
Right. They need 2 veterans and, hopefully, a draftee. 2 veterans to, at the very least, compete in camp for one spot (either as short-term starter or back-up to rookie). Fitz was always going to be 1 of those guys due to his contract. Jackson is the other. It's all whatever. Alex Smith isn't gonna make this team any better. Jackson isn't, either, but he didn't cost anything.
Alex Smith is better than Fitzpatrick. And he has succeeded in the West Coast offense. Yet he wouldnt make the team any better? I don't understand.

Old
02-19-2013, 09:36 PM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
I don't know why people keep saying that. Smith is the best option available, and he's far better than any QB that's been in Buffalo for years.

Old
02-19-2013, 09:37 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Smith would make the team better...but the team still wouldn't be good enough. They might win a few more games, maybe still be in the hunt late into December...but this team + Alex Smith still misses the playoffs.

Old
02-19-2013, 09:42 PM
dma0034

vCash: 600
The question that surrounds Alex Smith is how much of his success had to do with Jim Harbaugh's play-calling. Smith looked like a QB who didn't belong in the league before JH and Keapernick looked much better than Smith.

Old
02-19-2013, 10:12 PM
Takeo

Quote:
Smith would make the team better...but the team still wouldn't be good enough. They might win a few more games, maybe still be in the hunt late into December...but this team + Alex Smith still misses the playoffs.
Unfortunately, a QB that would magically make the Bills a playoff team is not out there this off-season. To expect to find that type of player is pretty unrealistic. The goal should be to upgrade QB to some reasonable degree and continue to improve the rest of the team around him. Smith needs a good offensive line to protect him and a strong running game to facilitate play action, both of which the Bills have. Smith has shown the ability to protect the football, something Fitzpatrick has never done. For that reason alone, he's an improvement. Nevermind his stronger arm. I'd like to see Smith for a mid-round pick, TE and CB in free agency, hybrid OLB at #8, and WR in 2nd round.

Old
02-19-2013, 10:26 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo View Post
Unfortunately, a QB that would magically make the Bills a playoff team is not out there this off-season. To expect to find that type of player is pretty unrealistic. The goal should be to upgrade QB to some reasonable degree and continue to improve the rest of the team around him. Smith needs a good offensive line to protect him and a strong running game to facilitate play action, both of which the Bills have. Smith has shown the ability to protect the football, something Fitzpatrick has never done. For that reason alone, he's an improvement. Nevermind his stronger arm. I'd like to see Smith for a mid-round pick, TE and CB in free agency, hybrid OLB at #8, and WR in 2nd round.
Agreed. Smith + a bunch of other players at key positions might get the Bills into the playoffs...but I'm not sure all the holes can be fixed in one offseason. There's a lot of need positions--I assume that your plan has the Bills re-signing Byrd and Levitre? If either of them leave, then you've got another hole that might need to be addressed in FA or early in the draft (If Levitre leaves, Warmack at #8 might become a possibility...though the value on guards that early is usually not that great)

Old
02-19-2013, 10:43 PM
Takeo

Quote:
Agreed. Smith + a bunch of other players at key positions might get the Bills into the playoffs...but I'm not sure all the holes can be fixed in one offseason. There's a lot of need positions--I assume that your plan has the Bills re-signing Byrd and Levitre? If either of them leave, then you've got another hole that might need to be addressed in FA or early in the draft (If Levitre leaves, Warmack at #8 might become a possibility...though the value on guards that early is usually not that great)
I completely agree that they should not be considered a playoff team next year (but it's the NFL so you never know). I was never caught up in the playoff thing anyway. They need to improve, that's it. I think Byrd gets the franchise tag. Levitre most likely walks. It's a loss for sure, but OG is low value. I'd rather re-sign Rinehart on the cheap or even try Sanders inside. I do like Fisher as a dark horse at #8 if he's still there.

Old
02-19-2013, 10:56 PM
Dubi Doo

vCash: 2225
Alex Smith is the perfect stop gap quarterback. He may not get the Bills into the playoffs this year, but if they have a solid offseason 2 consecutive years, then maybe they make it the year after. Hopefully by year 3 or 4 they have a potential franchise quarterback to try out.

When is the last time we've had a quarterback that has taken a team to a conference championship game?

Old
02-19-2013, 11:49 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubi Doo View Post
Alex Smith is the perfect stop gap quarterback. He may not get the Bills into the playoffs this year, but if they have a solid offseason 2 consecutive years, then maybe they make it the year after. Hopefully by year 3 or 4 they have a potential franchise quarterback to try out.

When is the last time we've had a quarterback that has taken a team to a conference championship game?
Wasn't it Frank Reich?

Old
02-20-2013, 12:00 AM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Seriously. It amazes me that anyone is still on the fence about/not a fan of Stevie. He's the definition of a blue collar player on the field and he has fun doing it. Who the hell cares what he says to the media? If he can put up 1000 yards for three years straight on this turd of a team, he's A-OK by any measure
Thats NOT the point. The point is he admitted he doesn't give his all. I don't care if you're a superstar, a little above average, average or a joke. To not give 100% is baloney...to admit it, is even worse. Getting 1,000 isn't even that much of a big deal anymore. Ten years ago it was a rare feat. Now it's something that all the star recievers can do(and then some) It's kind of like QB's and passing yards. It used to be 3,000 was a good year. Now anything under 4,000 is pretty weak. He produces fine, but he's still a selfish bum. He could be replaceable with a better overall passing QB and drafting a WR or tw. He's not a number one like he wants to think. He's a #2 on a poor team who has become a number one because they ended up having a lack of options. TJ Graham with his speed has potential. We know what nelson can do. It's too bad Jones has been a disappointment. One man doesn't make a team, if only they were in a better overall position they could dump him if they so choose. Remember, the people who brought him in are pretty much gone now. Only Nix remains and I cant imagine he will be a long too much longer. Marrone seems like a no nonsense guy. I can't imagine going forward he would tolerate that BS no matter who you are. Good or not good, anyone not willing to give their all I support if they boot him.

Old
02-21-2013, 09:35 AM
Takeo

I just read that Milliner needs surgery on a torn labrum after the combine. He's still participating in every event except bench, and should be ready for training camp. If that pushes him down to #8, I'd be interested.

Closed Thread