Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Antropov's speed

Old
02-19-2013, 10:29 PM
Zhamnov10

vCash: 500
Antropov's speed

Is it just me or does Antro look even slower then last year,he is losing battles on be boards he is way to late to hit anyone he is constantly reaching just trying to keep up.i know he brings certain things to the table but I truly feel our team would benefit more from a high energy guy with lots of speed on the third line to cause turnovers and hem the other teams in.

Zhamnov10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 10:34 PM
Jets
Resident Sieve

vCash: 50
Antropov was flying out there. Looks like a young Teemu back in his prime. He's got some amazing footspeed

But actually, I don't think it's any surprise that he's that slow. His game isn't about speed, it's big slow and lumbering, but he makes surprisingly solid puck decisions and that's what makes him hold some value as a player.

Jets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 10:34 PM
JustBeCool
boom shakalaka

ugh

seriously... what is up with the antro hate? Didn't he beat an icing today in the Buffalo game? People need to lay off. He isn't all that slow. His size just make it seem like he is. I don't get why it's so hard for people to understand this.

JustBeCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 11:19 PM
sipowicz
The Original

vCash: 1989
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsBeCool View Post
seriously... what is up with the antro hate? Didn't he beat an icing today in the Buffalo game? People need to lay off. He isn't all that slow. His size just make it seem like he is. I don't get why it's so hard for people to understand this.
He has 1 goal, 3 assists in 15 games, he's really slow, can't keep up with the play, is too slow to forecheck, can never get to a puck that's dumped into the opposition zone, but I do love to see him hammer the opposition on the rare occasion that he gets close to someone.

PS the dude is making $4.5 million this season or about $3 million more than he's worth.

sipowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 11:21 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

yawn
I don't even defend anymore
I just snicker

garret9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 11:30 PM
sipowicz
The Original

vCash: 1989
Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
yawn
I just snicker
I just don't get the Antro love, sure he does come up with a good game every now and then but he really is too slow to be effective. He does have pretty good hands but is never used in front of the net.

sipowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 11:33 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sipowicz View Post
I just don't get the Antro love, sure he does come up with a good game every now and then but he really is too slow to be effective. He does have pretty good hands but is never used in front of the net.
Never said I loved him...
I just think that blind hate is as blind as blind love.

garret9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 12:28 AM
GoldenJet89

vCash: 362
il chime in and try and be somewhat neutral

i think the positives and negatives to antros game are obvious enough and have been beat to death, so no point in re hashing them

i personally feel that antro wont be in the plans for the team going forward. i think hes a decent player who can fill a role but maybe not fitting the direction this team appears to be headed

hes a little different than guys theyve recently signed. in fact all he has in common with them is size. we seem to be going after bigger players that can also skate well, crash and bang in the corners, and play decent defensively. not a personal shot at antro, but he would be considered a pretty "soft" player especially for his size.

the other reason i dont see him in the plans is the pricetag. obviously if we were to resign him it would have to be at a much lower salary. add to that he's fairly expendable... there are much younger/cheaper players that surely can match antropovs point production. especially if they were given the opportunity to play on the top line like hes been given.

im sorry a lot of that sounds negative, i actually like the guy. i think he'd be a good fit on an upper-tier team that could use a good cycling forward on the third line. he could also be that for us, but since we are a young team building for the future, i just dont see the need for his type of contributions at the moment. id much rather be investing this time in someone who can hopefully grow into that role (or better) and contribute for years to come.

i wouldnt be upset if they resigned him, but certainly wouldnt be sad to see him go either

in response to the original post... i dont see his speed as a liability. kane/burmi more than make up for him on that line in terms of speed. its not like hes on a line with 2 slugs

GoldenJet89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 03:36 AM
untouchable21
You've been TROUBA'D

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenJet89 View Post
il chime in and try and be somewhat neutral

i think the positives and negatives to antros game are obvious enough and have been beat to death, so no point in re hashing them

i personally feel that antro wont be in the plans for the team going forward. i think hes a decent player who can fill a role but maybe not fitting the direction this team appears to be headed

hes a little different than guys theyve recently signed. in fact all he has in common with them is size. we seem to be going after bigger players that can also skate well, crash and bang in the corners, and play decent defensively. not a personal shot at antro, but he would be considered a pretty "soft" player especially for his size.

the other reason i dont see him in the plans is the pricetag. obviously if we were to resign him it would have to be at a much lower salary. add to that he's fairly expendable... there are much younger/cheaper players that surely can match antropovs point production. especially if they were given the opportunity to play on the top line like hes been given.

im sorry a lot of that sounds negative, i actually like the guy. i think he'd be a good fit on an upper-tier team that could use a good cycling forward on the third line. he could also be that for us, but since we are a young team building for the future, i just dont see the need for his type of contributions at the moment. id much rather be investing this time in someone who can hopefully grow into that role (or better) and contribute for years to come.

i wouldnt be upset if they resigned him, but certainly wouldnt be sad to see him go either

in response to the original post... i dont see his speed as a liability. kane/burmi more than make up for him on that line in terms of speed. its not like hes on a line with 2 slugs
I agree. I don't mind him as a player because he is not a liability. Slow footed or not, he manages the puck very well. At 1.5 million he's a good bargain.

If there are suitors for his services at the deadline, I'd wish him well and let him go.

untouchable21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 04:10 AM
Tdoe42

is "Antropov's speed" really a thread!?!?!

If he had speed he would probably be an elite player

...But seriously

Tdoe42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 05:39 AM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhamnov10 View Post
Is it just me or does Antro look even slower then last year,he is losing battles on be boards he is way to late to hit anyone he is constantly reaching just trying to keep up.i know he brings certain things to the table but I truly feel our team would benefit more from a high energy guy with lots of speed on the third line to cause turnovers and hem the other teams in.
It's just Antro being Antro

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 06:00 AM
HannuJ

vCash: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsBeCool View Post
i was at the game. Antropov wasn't even forgettable. he was honestly that bad.
he barely seemed to put in an effort. best play? he was forechecking and was attempting to push the defender into the boards. he barely touched the defender and fell down. it was TimBits hockey-esque.

HannuJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 09:11 AM
No Name Poster
Maurice Navidad

vCash: 1000
I want so bad to defend the big Kazakh but I'm just so tired of this argument.
OK, you Antro haters win. Waiving the white flag.

p.s. I'd be happy to re-sign him at $2 mil per

No Name Poster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 09:27 AM
allan5oh
#Dive4Five #31Buyout

I'm curious if any of the pro antro people have seen him live lately. You do not get the same quality evaluation on tv. It's very noticable how many times we lose posession because he's half a step behind.

allan5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 09:34 AM
No Name Poster
Maurice Navidad

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
I'm curious if any of the pro antro people have seen him live lately. You do not get the same quality evaluation on tv. It's very noticable how many times we lose posession because he's half a step behind.
I've seen him live three times. The last game against Boston, I will agree he looked sluggish. I commented in the post game thread as such. I liked what I saw in the other two games though.

wait, I was done defending him. You baited me Allan!

Old
02-20-2013, 09:44 AM
SCP Guy

A few games before the trade deadline we should ask the rest of our players to skate slower so the scouts from other teams think he is fast and we get more in return

SCP Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 09:57 AM
No Name Poster
Maurice Navidad

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP Guy View Post
A few games before the trade deadline we should ask the rest of our players to skate slower so the scouts from other teams think he is fast and we get more in return
Win

Your post should end this thread but I just ruined that.

Old
02-20-2013, 10:05 AM
Nothing Is New

Dude is still smart as hell on the ice and knows where to go ahead of time. But he is deadly slow and can't sustain energy for normal shifts. I think we need to say "thank you very much for all you've done" and send him to a contender - for whatever.

Nothing Is New is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 10:11 AM
Tdoe42

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
I go to every game...

Live you really see what he does away from the puck. Everyone knows he is slow but he knows where to be on the Ice and when you pair him with speedy guys like Kane and Burmi it balances out his lack of Foot Speed.

In a perfect world he skates like Wheeler but he Skates like me... In Quick Sand!! lol

Tdoe42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 10:14 AM
GrandChelems

vCash: 2209
Rico Fata wants you to know that foot speed is the only thing you need to be effective in the NHL. Ever.

GrandChelems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 11:07 AM
Jet
Drop the danged puck

I loved him in the Philly game. Right at ice level, he kept up with the play, was great positionally, was a menace in front of the net and even gave it to that little puke Rinaldo.

02-20-2013, 11:16 AM
Conflicted Habs fan

Antropov with his size should ideally just park in front of the net and screen knocking any rebounds back into the net. That's what Paul Maclean did when he was with Hawerchuk. Too bad there's no Hawerchuk with this team.

Conflicted Habs fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 12:18 PM
Hawker14

He's a good hockey player.

Pretty sure if he was making ~$1m, his "speed" wouldn't be an issue.

Hawker14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 12:41 PM
tntkid

He skates like he has cinder blocks on his feet.

tntkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 12:54 PM
surixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
yawn
I just snicker
He's a decent player who makes a little too much money and is miscasted in a top 6 and PP role. None of which outside of his salary is his fault. He works fine in a third line role but I also agree that his playing style may not fit this team beyond this year.

surixon is offline   Reply With Quote