HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ottawa Senators vs New York Islanders| 7:30pm - Sportsnet East |DiPietro still plays?

Old
02-19-2013, 09:43 PM
DylanSensFan
Walk On!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Hossa View Post
Last 5 games i've seen Gonchar has been god-awful
I dunno what people expect of Gonchar... he plays like he has always played. He takes hits and does other things to try and move the puck. He has done what he has to do, not being an overly physical player. Methot and at times Wiercioch are the only other D-men that can move the puck down the center of the ice without causing a turn over. Gryba was playing it really simple.

DylanSensFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 09:43 PM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by theyellowsub View Post
As others have mentioned in the past, Eastern and Western Conference play a completely different style of hockey in general. Its can be expected that a Western Conference game have a much higher tempo of play than the East on any given night.
We were dominated by an Islanders team because were an injury depleted team, and couldn't get the puck out of the zone if their life depended on it. Thankfully for us we have an amazing goaltener, and Dipietro is a complete sieve nowadays. I'm not complaining, but that's just the reality of the situation.

At least we capitalized on the very few chances we get.

PeterSidorkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 09:47 PM
Kezia
egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Hossa View Post
Last 5 games i've seen Gonchar has been god-awful
Offensively yes.

Kezia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 09:50 PM
Tundraman
GoneCountry

Oh no on the Team1200 Benoit just called Silfverberg........... Sylvie

Tundraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 09:50 PM
Alfie#11

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSidorkiewicz View Post
I found both the Devils and this game to be pretty un-entertaining, which is most likely being absolutely spoiled by having real talent like Spezza, Michalek, and Karlsson playing under an entertaining Maclean system.

I'm going to have to disagree on the good flow, I thought it was absolutely painful at times to watch, the missed passes, the bouncing puck, and being hemmed in by the Islanders a lot throughout the night.

I'm watching this Predators-Wings game and it's making the Isles-Sens game look like a televised chess match.
Yeah, this is not good hockey. if we were losing people would be complaining more. Wins make this "entertaining".

Most of the skill is out of the lineup so this is to be expected. At this point it feels like we're an army defending a fort, while running out of men and ammo. Just hanging on is a victory, regardless of how.

I'm interested in the young guys and that keeps me interested, as does the close nature of the games. It's not really entertaining in the way a well played game is.

I am pretty amazed we've won two. Although I don't expect it to continue, these guys may be able to keep us out of the basement. The one thing I've loved since our purge and freefall is that the players really seem to care and try. Given the limitations of these guys, that's about all we can ask.

My notables are Silf, Gryba, Weircioch and DD. Silf keeps improving and is getting some points. Gryba is playing pretty well and should be in the mix for a depth spot next season. Wiercioch as well. Good skilled type depth guy, with the potential to get better. DD is interesting. Murray like physical guys. He could position himself as a 4th line guy to replace Daugavins next season.

Pretty ugly but I'm proud of the boys.

Alfie#11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 09:51 PM
DylanSensFan
Walk On!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orr123 View Post
Even if ugly, a win is a win, what does it matter what it looked like.

We have an ahl team, essentially. It's going to be ugly.

This is a huge chance for the young guys to learn and get better. Which is great for the future.

Win or lose, it's going to be an ugly season. I'll take the win.
If we can stay in the top 8 in the east and make the playoffs, they can play ugly games all season long. Karlsson will be a breath of fresh air next season.

DylanSensFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 09:52 PM
Curtinho
YNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundraman View Post
Oh no on the Team1200 Benoit just called Silfverberg........... Sylvie

Curtinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 09:53 PM
L'Aveuglette

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfie#11 View Post
I am pretty amazed we've won two. Although I don't expect it to continue, Anderson may be able to keep us out of the basement. The one thing I've loved since our purge and freefall is that the players really seem to care and try. Given the limitations of these guys, that's about all we can ask.
Fixed!

L'Aveuglette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 10:00 PM
nanuuq
HFBoards Sponsor

Was at the game.
Some fun shots, posts etc on both sides.
Weird tho was the number of players who just fell in the middle of nowhere.
Maybe the ice was too hard?

02-19-2013, 10:02 PM
Xspyrit

vCash: 1000
Sens have been solid lately (considering the conextext of course) but tonight they played badly...

Andy, Silfverberg, Methot, DD, Gryba, Daug, Greening, Benoit had a good game. That's about it

Turris and Alfie were fine too but could have been better. They're our best players right now, we need them to raise their game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephias View Post
Gryba is really impressing. I don't think he's ever heading back to the AHL.
I think we are discovering some new NHL players this year at least

Jakob Silfverberg
Patrick Wiercioch
Stephane Da Costa
Eric Gryba

Grant, DD, Zibanejad and Borowiecki need more time in the AHL

Benoit is a journeyman, might find a niche somewhere else... maybe he's kept as the 7th next year. He scores, blocks shots, moves the puck well. He's like a Brenden Bell but who can play defense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theyellowsub View Post
Is it just me, or does the Kovalev and Gonchar experiments make you never want to get an old Russian Veteran ever again. These guys come to Ottawa on their final stretch of their careers and play by far their worst hockey. I almost feel like slapping myself while typing this but I would rather see Kuba back in a Sens jersey this season instead of 55. He is nothing what he used to be and reminds me of Jason Smith at the end of his career, using everything left in the tank just to keep up with the play.
Just tell yourself that Gonchar is Czech and Kuba is Russian.

Do you still want Kuba back? Really?

Gonchar has a bad game and people act like he is that bad every game

Xspyrit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 10:33 PM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujomi View Post
I wouldn't go that far. Gonchar has played pretty well for us for the most part. I just thought he had a bad game.
I agree with you regarding Gonchar and while it wasn't one of his better efforts there were several others that didn't play well either.

I didn't think Alfie player particularly well, however I can understand Gonchar and Alfie, they are both older, played mega minutes against NJ, travel home and the next day right back at it. Tough on a young body.

Some of the young guys struggle as well, it was obvious Silf is still getting use to LW as on seveal occasions in the defensive zone the Sens had two RWers!

DaCosta was very effective, his decision making with the puck wasn't good as he tried to force passes into well defended areas.

In general it wasn't the best game the Sens have played, but they stuck to it and won.

Holdurbreathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 10:34 PM
danishh

my biggest annoyance with gonchar his entire time here has been his inability to hold the puck in at the blueline, powerplay or not.

He didnt help with those concerns tonight.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 10:54 PM
IranCondraAffair

The way the Vets have been playing (Alfie is fine but Phillips/Gonchar have been bad), you might as well trade Gonchar and play the kids even more. **** it.

IranCondraAffair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 11:13 PM
PatrickEaves
We Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
my biggest annoyance with gonchar his entire time here has been his inability to hold the puck in at the blueline, powerplay or not.

He didnt help with those concerns tonight.
My biggest annoyance with him in his time as an Ottawa Senator is his inability to miss the first shotblocker with his point shot.

Mostly because he used to be really good at that.

PatrickEaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 11:16 PM
Milan the God*
king karlsson

Gonchar is struggling. I thought he was really solid after 3 games last season. This year he could be a lot better. He has his on and off nights, though.

Milan the God* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 11:51 PM
DrEasy
:heart: Cameron

My impressions:

- Discovery! Greening has a pulse! He finally played like we know he can, and he was rewarded for it.

- I was also impressed by Gryba and Wiercioch.

- We didn't play well at all, but Anderson did his usual thing. And Methot was solid again, of course.

- Silver lining thought: I had an irrational fear that we'd grow overly dependent on Karlsson to lead our offense, that our players would just pass him the puck and passively watch him do his magic. I don't know if that could be a guarantee of success long term. Now we have an opportunity to develop other ways to attack, and our other young players will have to show some initiative, which is a good thing. Condra has already shown a few good things in Karlsson's absence, and I also expect Wiercioch to develop fast. DaCosta doesn't need anything though, dude has plenty of confidence to sell.

- Crazy as it may sound, I think we missed JOB's defensive work. I expect him to be back tomorrow. I'd probably sit Ziba again, or maybe Grant, since he doesn't get much ice time anyway.

PS: please no more Gonchar on the PP. kthxby.

DrEasy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 11:59 PM
Kezia
egg

Benoit-Wierchioch PP1

Old
02-20-2013, 12:01 AM
DrEasy
:heart: Cameron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny FTW View Post
Benoit-Wierchioch PP1
Exactly.

Problem is PP2...

DrEasy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 12:23 AM
Tundraman
GoneCountry

With so many rookies and with the low scoring without Bishop in NJ and Anderson tonight counting the quality saves the Sens easily lose both games. Fortunately for once in a long time this team has 2 solid goalies in nets. There is no doubt that this is the position that makes the most difference in keeping games within reach.

There are also enough vets to calm and bring the sophomores and rookies along. I watched how the guys respond to Neil and Alfie up front and to Phillips and Methot on D after some good plays. This team will miss their big guns but they'll get better the more games they play. Not sure if that's enough to make the playoffs but it should be close.

Tundraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 12:25 AM
Kezia
egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEasy View Post
Exactly.

Problem is PP2...
The problem is that that should be Bingo's PP1.

Old
02-20-2013, 02:20 AM
Kezia
egg

Just realized all but one(Sandin) from the 08' Draft have now played a game in the NHL.

Old
02-20-2013, 03:22 AM
Step
GO SENS GO

vCash: 2550
Quote:
Originally Posted by HavlatMach9 View Post
Predicting a PP goal.

Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 03:34 AM
derriko

Jesus…Tavares is a wizard with the puck. Literally every time he had possesion in our zone he got it to a player for a scoring opportunity. Hes creeping up on Spezza for that 4th best center in the league spot that Jason held last year imo.

derriko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 04:19 AM
Rhino Reilly
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to Rhino Reilly
Quote:
Originally Posted by derriko View Post
Jesus…Tavares is a wizard with the puck. Literally every time he had possesion in our zone he got it to a player for a scoring opportunity. Hes creeping up on Spezza for that 4th best center in the league spot that Jason held last year imo.
Was only a matter of time. JT is unreal, I've been real impressed with his improved skating. It looks a lot better

Rhino Reilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 04:55 AM
TSA0402

Can't believe that was a win. Should have been at least 5-3 Isles. Tavares with 4 points. Was spinning circles around this team.

Anderson, was amazing.

Need top line to convert a bit more, though.

TSA0402 is offline   Reply With Quote