HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

MPS vs Jordan Schroeder

View Poll Results: MPS vs Jordan Schroeder
MPS 115 45.82%
Jordan Schroeder 136 54.18%
Voters: 251. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-19-2013, 06:36 PM
alphahelix

vCash: 500
Paajarvi has a plus shot but no idea how/when to use it, and similarly has difficulty making offensive decisions when he is attacking with speed. He has the tools, but does not apply them effectively for whatever reason. For this reason, he is a marginal player. He has everything he needs to become a quality checking forward, requiring only experience and a little more aggression.

If he should ever figure out how to use his tools offensively, then he would be a dangerous player indeed. Unfortunately, I think that he is more-or-less at the level of Marc Pouliot right now. Experience will improve that, but if he doesn't change his game offensively he will always be a support player. Schroeder is more effective right now, and has a chance to take it to the next level against greater competition - but I don't think there is a big difference between them in terms of career potential. Size will be a limiter, he is no Briere/St Louis (imho).

alphahelix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 11:09 PM
Sergei Shirokov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo44 View Post
What role? And i don't think it should be held against Paajarvi that Schroeder plays for a team with elite goaltending and defense, Vancouver would still be very good without Schroeder. Schroeder is a depth player getting minutes with quality NHLer's he's certainly not playing an important checking role against quality comp.
Alright we get it, Paajarvi is great defensively. Thats really the only area he has an advantage.

Schroeder was our 2nd line center and is now our 3rd line center. I'm pretty sure thats not a depth position. He's filling an important role and filling it admirably.

Sergei Shirokov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 11:14 PM
Eskimo44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei Shirokov View Post
Alright we get it, Paajarvi is great defensively. Thats really the only area he has an advantage.

Schroeder was our 2nd line center and is now our 3rd line center. I'm pretty sure thats not a depth position. He's filling an important role and filling it admirably.
I never said he was great defensively. Are you even reading my comments or are you just assuming what they say? My point is he can PK and has a projectable skillset defensively and is no liability as of now (Schroeder may not be either but it's not debatable he's been sheltered from the other teams best). I'm not acting like he's some kind of great defensive forward, but in the least he should be able to become a quality/elite checker if the offense doesn't come (and i don't think Schroeders skillset offers the same chance of defensive development).

How is defense his only advantage? Tell me how by following their pro careers you would give the offensive advantage to Schroeder? I could see arguing it's equal or a matter of opinion in favour of Schroeder, but it certainly isn't definitive. I already posted the stats and we can see that statisically speaking Paajarvi has had the advantage career wise. Size isn't an advantage in your world either?

Schroeder was your second line center over offensive powerhouses Maholtra and Laperrier, that's nothing special. Ebbet is the next best option, it would be pretty pathetic if he wasn't an option for your team while Kesler was out. He's a depth player on a team lacking center depth, he's been given a good winger in Raymond, so basically he's been put in a position to succed. I'm not saying he hasn't done his job, i'm saying given his skill set he shouldn't project to be as good IMO going forward (what's so hard to understand?).

Last edited by Eskimo44: 02-19-2013 at 11:44 PM.
Eskimo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 11:34 PM
Eskimo44

Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
And we were 8-2-2 (or was it 6-2-2?) without Kesler? Does that mean that he doesn't play an important role? Schroeder has been playing 3rd line centre on a top level team, and it preforming quite well. You would think that MPS wouldn't of been the 13th forward if his defense is as good as you are claiming it to be.
You do realize i'm not bashing Schroeder, right? I'm saying that he hasn't done anything all that great and is in a tremendous position to succeed. Playing on Vancouver and with guys like Raymond is an advantage, and not the other way around.

Paajarvi is far from a guarentee to get in the lineup, and it doesn't have anything to do with his ability or play. You do realize Edmonton has some of the best winger depth in the league and Paajarvi is all of 21.

Hall-Eberle
Yakupov-Hemsky
Smyth-Hartikainen

None of those guys being ahead of him is an insult to Paajarvi's ability. Petrell and Eager bring size and physicality and are veterans that can fill roles Paajarvi can't (very good PKer and Enforcer). Paajarvi has also played in 12 of the teams 15 games, or 80% of games, so it's not like he's not playing most nights despite your comment making it sound like he isn't. Schroeder by contrast has played in 13 of 15, or 87% of games, so Schroeder has played all of one more game in 15 so not much different. Would you call him the 13th forward on Vancouver? Of course not, let's get real. Both are playing more than they would if injuries weren't a factor, and both are doing enough to stay in the lineup. Both are young and should be far from reaching their potential. All i'm saying is given the skillsets and their pro careers Paajarvi to me looks like the far better bet.

Old
02-20-2013, 01:54 AM
Sergei Shirokov

Quote:
I never said he was great defensively. Are you even reading my comments or are you just assuming what they say? My point is he can PK and has a projectable skillset defensively and is no liability as of now (Schroeder may not be either but it's not debatable he's been sheltered from the other teams best). I'm not acting like he's some kind of great defensive forward, but in the least he should be able to become a quality/elite checker if the offense doesn't come (and i don't think Schroeders skillset offers the same chance of defensive development).

How is defense his only advantage? Tell me how by following their pro careers you would give the offensive advantage to Schroeder? I could see arguing it's equal or a matter of opinion in favour of Schroeder, but it certainly isn't definitive. I already posted the stats and we can see that statisically speaking Paajarvi has had the advantage career wise. Size isn't an advantage in your world either?

Schroeder was your second line center over offensive powerhouses Maholtra and Laperrier, that's nothing special. Ebbet is the next best option, it would be pretty pathetic if he wasn't an option for your team while Kesler was out. He's a depth player on a team lacking center depth, he's been given a good winger in Raymond, so basically he's been put in a position to succed. I'm not saying he hasn't done his job, i'm saying given his skill set he shouldn't project to be as good IMO going forward (what's so hard to understand?).
It's funny that you keep saying he is a depth player. But anyone who has watched knows he has nailed down a spot full time.

And actually, Kesler and Booth are back now, so if he was a depth player, wouldn't he be sent down? Instead of waiving Ebbett so we could keep him like we did.

And actually he wasn't he was given many responsibilities, Dzone starts and we don't shelter players (aside from when we did with Cody) We just roll the lines, you can say whatever you think you know, even though it is clear you haven't watched. But he hasn't been sheltered and he ahs earned his spot on this roster.

Paajarvi has the size advantage, and perhaps even an edge defensively, the speed is the same (although I think Schroeder is more agile and elusive) Offensively I would make the case for Schroeder, he has a high offensive IQ and makes pin point saucer passess in under a nano second. Has a nose for the net and makes the players he is with better, also has a nice wrist shot.

Old
02-20-2013, 01:57 AM
Sergei Shirokov

Quote:
You do realize i'm not bashing Schroeder, right? I'm saying that he hasn't done anything all that great and is in a tremendous position to succeed. Playing on Vancouver and with guys like Raymond is an advantage, and not the other way around.
Its obvious you don't know what your talking about. He has looked amazing and has made Raymond better. Raymond was a huge question mark this year, and with Ebbett he did nothing, but when we put him with Schroeder they showed great chemistry and flourished. Raymond is now leading our team in goals. None of them came playing with anyone else as his center other than Schroeder btw.

Old
02-20-2013, 02:09 AM
Co Ho*

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
MPS ainec, Schroeder is to small and bad defensively to be a #3 c and not skilled enough to be a second liner.
You watch the Chicago game tonight? He played pretty well defensively. He's actually played well defensively so far this season, but obviously has limited offensive upside.

Co Ho* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 02:10 AM
Wizeman*

We dont need to defend Schroeder. He is doing excellent.

Last edited by spiny norman: 02-20-2013 at 11:12 AM. Reason: not needed
Wizeman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 11:29 AM
Eskimo44

Quote:
Its obvious you don't know what your talking about. He has looked amazing and has made Raymond better. Raymond was a huge question mark this year, and with Ebbett he did nothing, but when we put him with Schroeder they showed great chemistry and flourished. Raymond is now leading our team in goals. None of them came playing with anyone else as his center other than Schroeder btw.
Are you kidding me? Of course playing with vertifiable NHL superstar Ebbett was a disadvantage to him. I also said Schroeder is taking advantage of his opportunity, but lets be real here Raymond drives possesion and is a quality NHLer while Schroeder is still trying to establish himself. I'm not saying Schroeder is hurting Raymond, are you reading my comments? Seriouly you are either not very bright, don't understand english, or you're trolling me. I doubt you're slow, i'd prefer not to think less of anyone, but really why fabricate things and pretend i'm saying something i'm not? Raymond had a down year last year perhaps because he broke his ****ing back, before that he had a couple solid years in a row. Nevermind Raymond isn't lighting it up like some kind of superstar like you are insinuating, you act like this type of production is foriegn to him and that's simply not true. Schroeder has 4 points in 13 games, while Raymond has 9 in 15 it's pretty ****ing obvious who's driving the bus. Grow up and give your head a shake, and while you're at it learn how to read properly. Take your time and sound out the words that are giving you trouble.

Old
02-20-2013, 11:35 AM
Eskimo44

Quote:
It's funny that you keep saying he is a depth player. But anyone who has watched knows he has nailed down a spot full time.

And actually, Kesler and Booth are back now, so if he was a depth player, wouldn't he be sent down? Instead of waiving Ebbett so we could keep him like we did.

And actually he wasn't he was given many responsibilities, Dzone starts and we don't shelter players (aside from when we did with Cody) We just roll the lines, you can say whatever you think you know, even though it is clear you haven't watched. But he hasn't been sheltered and he ahs earned his spot on this roster.

Paajarvi has the size advantage, and perhaps even an edge defensively, the speed is the same (although I think Schroeder is more agile and elusive) Offensively I would make the case for Schroeder, he has a high offensive IQ and makes pin point saucer passess in under a nano second. Has a nose for the net and makes the players he is with better, also has a nice wrist shot.
Calling a guy who hasn't played in every game and who is a rookie a depth player isn't crazy. Calling a guy who is 9th in ice time per game a depth player isn't crazy (and we certainly know two of the guys behind him in Kesler and Booth are ahead of him on the depth chart). Calling a guy with 4 points in 13 games a depth player isn't crazy. Calling a guy who is likely to be scratched before all of Sedin, Sedin, Burrows, Kesler, Raymond, Laperrier, Maholtra, Hansen, Higgins, Kassian, Booth a depth player isn't crazy.

Vancouver gives him dzone starts because they have the defenseman and goaltending to use their bottom 6 like that. It's clear they give their top 6 (especially the Sedin's) heavy offensive minutes. This isn't anything new, they did this last year too and the year before. Also Hodgson faced easily tougher minutes than Schroeder has.

Old
02-20-2013, 11:43 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Schroeder

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 01:02 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Well it looks like Viggy has voted and it's not good for Jordan.

Players in his situation have to take advantage of them as it's unlikely that he will get a 2nd chance with the Canucks.

Raymond is now playing 3rd line center even though he is horrible at FO.

Hardyvan123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 05:28 AM
Sergei Shirokov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyvan123 View Post
Well it looks like Viggy has voted and it's not good for Jordan.

Players in his situation have to take advantage of them as it's unlikely that he will get a 2nd chance with the Canucks.

Raymond is now playing 3rd line center even though he is horrible at FO.
So are you coming here to slam on Jordan for the sake of slamming him?

or making a point PRV is better? Cause his road in the NHL/AHL hasn't been all roses either.

Still take JS, going through a slump which is to be expected with a young player on a struggling team, can't wait to see him next year.

Old
03-11-2013, 12:49 PM
cpsman

the ups and downs continue for these two.

Paajarvi with 2G and 1A in his last five games, and has been one of the best players on his team recently, while Schroeder gets sent down to the AHL today.

I'd still take Paajarvi, (granted, I'm an oilers fan and have seen more of him) but its really too early to tell. They both still have a lot of development to do.

cpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 02:32 PM
topchowda

This poll will always go up and down for both players. Right now MPS is playing good and showing some top 6 potential. Still like him for his size and defensive ability

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 01:10 AM
canuck lover

Neither of them have been amazing. But basing that they are both drafted the same year relatively the same age potential is pretty similar. Points this year is similar also so I will take the guy that has more size,more nhl games, and better defensively. which is Magnus Paajarvi.

canuck lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 01:13 AM
Joey Moss

This poll just proves why the Oilers never win polls.

Are you kidding me? One is currently a borderline NHL'er the other is playing his absolute best he's ever played in the NHL. How in the world is Schroeder winning this? Their numbers in the AHL are similar, Paajarvi has always been more highly touted though and he's playing better in the NHL. I don't understand it at all..

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 01:16 AM
dahrougem2

Haven't seen much of Schroeder, but watching Paajarvi on a daily basis here in Edmonton you can just tell he wants to improve himself and become as good a player as he can. He was never drafted to become a power forward who crashes the net but that's what is being asked of him. As a young kid, that can't be easy at all, being told that you are not going to be one of the skilled guys even though you were drafted to be one, and that you are going to be one of the gritty guys or you will need to find a new home soon. I think he's been doing a great job as of late going to the net and the dirty areas, as well as his unreal speed. I think he's got a real bright future if he continues playing this way

dahrougem2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 01:38 AM
monkeywrench

vCash: 50
Puzzles me how Schroeder was winning this at any point of time. Pajaarvi is underrated on these boards not saying he is an all-star but he is better than most people think

monkeywrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 01:23 PM
Ronaldo
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
This poll just proves why the Oilers never win polls.

Are you kidding me? One is currently a borderline NHL'er the other is playing his absolute best he's ever played in the NHL. How in the world is Schroeder winning this? Their numbers in the AHL are similar, Paajarvi has always been more highly touted though and he's playing better in the NHL. I don't understand it at all..
Ones a borderline player on the back to back President's trophy winners, while the other is on the 3 rd line of the worst team in the league the last 3 years. It really isn't a fair assessment, Schroeder played well with Vancouver in this time up, his defensive game was much better than many expected. Just because a player gets sent down doesn't mean he wasn't doing his job.

Ronaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 07:48 PM
Lundface

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahrougem2 View Post
Haven't seen much of Schroeder, but watching Paajarvi on a daily basis here in Edmonton you can just tell he wants to improve himself and become as good a player as he can. He was never drafted to become a power forward who crashes the net but that's what is being asked of him. As a young kid, that can't be easy at all, being told that you are not going to be one of the skilled guys even though you were drafted to be one, and that you are going to be one of the gritty guys or you will need to find a new home soon. I think he's been doing a great job as of late going to the net and the dirty areas, as well as his unreal speed. I think he's got a real bright future if he continues playing this way
You just described Schroeder as well. Skilled player that has completely remodeled his game to become defensively solid since skill alone wouldn't have been enough for him. He has done everything asked of him since being drafted, so the two are similar in that sense. I honestly like MPS so I hope both players have a long career.

Lundface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 08:11 PM
Land O Lakes

Get ready for some serious Schroeder highlights. He's just getting warmed up.

Land O Lakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 09:14 PM
Art of Sedinery

Let's compare stats roughly 2/3 through the season:

MP: 27 games, 6 goals, 2 assists, 8 points, -1 +/-, 1 PPG, 2 GWG in 13:37 TOI, 0:38 PKTOI and 1:02 PPTOI

JS: 28 games, 3 goals, 6 assists, 9 points, 0 +/- 1 PPG, 2 GWG in 13:46 TOI, 0:00 PKTOI and 2:37 PPTOI

Pretty darn comparable stats, all across the board. However this leans in favour of JS considering this is the first 28 NHL games of his career, while MP had 121 under his belt coming into this season.

The other thing in JS' favour is he is playing roughly the same role as MP on a much better, deeper team.

Art of Sedinery is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 10:18 PM
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art of Sedinery View Post
Let's compare stats roughly 2/3 through the season:

MP: 27 games, 6 goals, 2 assists, 8 points, -1 +/-, 1 PPG, 2 GWG in 13:37 TOI, 0:38 PKTOI and 1:02 PPTOI

JS: 28 games, 3 goals, 6 assists, 9 points, 0 +/- 1 PPG, 2 GWG in 13:46 TOI, 0:00 PKTOI and 2:37 PPTOI

Pretty darn comparable stats, all across the board. However this leans in favour of JS considering this is the first 28 NHL games of his career, while MP had 121 under his belt coming into this season.

The other thing in JS' favour is he is playing roughly the same role as MP on a much better, deeper team.
Fwiw Mps was largely used on the 3rd-4th line in a shutdown role with crappy linemates the first 15 games. Heating up now. But so is Schroeder

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 10:20 PM
Nuck This

Schroeder. Stud. He's improving every shift. He's becoming a huge catalyst.

Nuck This is offline   Reply With Quote