HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Canadiens @ Rangers 2/19/13 - Moar Icing

View Poll Results: Three Stars of the Game?
Derek Stepan 31 28.70%
Carl Hagelin 56 51.85%
Marian Gaborik 2 1.85%
Chris Kreider 5 4.63%
JT Miller 1 0.93%
Brandon Mashinter 10 9.26%
Arron Asham 3 2.78%
Ryan McDonagh 5 4.63%
Montreal's Icings 47 43.52%
Henrik Lundqvist 15 13.89%
Martin Biron 12 11.11%
Anton Stralman 36 33.33%
Marc Staal 2 1.85%
Brad Richards 12 11.11%
Michael Del Zotto 3 2.78%
Taylor Pyatt 1 0.93%
Dan Girardi 1 0.93%
Matt Gilroy 1 0.93%
Jeff Halpern 3 2.78%
Ryan Callahan 7 6.48%
Bwian Bwoyle 9 8.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-19-2013, 11:01 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
He is in our top 4 right now and performing far better than Del Zotto in that role. That's not even up for debate right now imo. Bring up his production all you want, at least Stralman plays defense.
I didn't notice any blatant DZ mistakes. I did notice one by Stralman, who turned it over in our own end midway through the 2nd, letting the Canadiens forecheck the **** out of us until we got the puck out.

I think DZs been our 2nd best d-man this year, better than Staal, Girardi and McDonagh this year. Stralman's been the unsung hero and plays most consistent.

Gilroy's so quietly effective out there. He still hasn't been on for a goal against this year. This with 84 minutes of ice time. Torts needs to play him more.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 11:01 PM
Pugs35

vCash: 500
Anyone thinking Gilroy has been better than Del Zotto must be watching a different game, I'm sorry.

Pugs35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 11:02 PM
OverTheCap

Girardi has been playing on the 1st PP unit up until the last game I believe, and he did not improve the PP nor did he look very good on the point. McDonagh may be worth a shot but I'm not sure how much of a difference it will make.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 11:02 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
I think Callahan needs to get in there and get 1st unit time. We might as well get rid of him if we're not gonna use him for his best quality which is scoring on the PP.

If Callahan isn't getting PP time, then use that cap space for an even strength scorer.
Gaborik was on 2nd unit in favor of Callahan the past few games before this one. He's still getting a ton of PP time. I agree, I don't think Callahan is the right fit for this team imo.

Old
02-19-2013, 11:04 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

The Captain of the team isn't a good fit for us?

I've officially heard it all now.

I agree that he hasn't been playing very well, but come on. Not a good fit?

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 11:05 PM
Machinehead
Brauch und Stolz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
I didn't notice any blatant DZ mistakes. I did notice one by Stralman, who turned it over in our own end midway through the 2nd, letting the Canadiens forecheck the **** out of us until we got the puck out.

I think he's been our 2nd best d-man this year, better than Staal, Girardi and McDonagh this year. Stralman's been the unsung hero and plays most consistent.

Gilroy's so quietly effective out there. He still hasn't been on for a goal against this year. This with 84 minutes of ice time. Torts needs to play him more.
Del Zotto didn't have any blatant turnovers or anything like that, but Habs were consistently skating past him on the way to the net. That and he gets caught up ice constantly.

It's ok that he's not great defensively and gets caught here and there, but if he's gonna do that he needs to produce more, particularly on the PP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugs35 View Post
Anyone thinking Gilroy has been better than Del Zotto must be watching a different game, I'm sorry.
Anyone that thanks Del Zotto has been better than Gilroy is going by one thing and one thing only, and that's TOI.

DEUTSCHLANDWELTMEISTER2014
Machinehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 11:06 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henriks Broadway Hat View Post
The Captain of the team isn't a good fit for us?

I've officially heard it all now.

I agree that he hasn't been playing very well, but come on. Not a good fit?
He's not good in playoffs and disappears too much in the regular season. I think team needs identity change for us to take next step.

Old
02-19-2013, 11:07 PM
Machinehead
Brauch und Stolz

Quote:
Gaborik was on 2nd unit in favor of Callahan the past few games before this one. He's still getting a ton of PP time. I agree, I don't think Callahan is the right fit for this team imo.
I'm not saying Callahan isn't a good fit, but offensively most of his points come on the PP.

With our luck, we'd get rid of Callahan, he'd end up on a team with a top 5 PP, and score 35 goals with 22 of them coming with the man advantage

I'm not saying we should get rid of him, but use him or lose him. He's still the best PP guy on the team.

Old
02-19-2013, 11:10 PM
Callagraves
Block shots

Quote:
Callahan is the golden boy.

He will always escape criticism.

I'm sorry, but his play has been a joke this year. I don't comment on it too much, because I always get called a hater here for critiquing his play.

He to me, is the most disappointing player on this roster full of underachievers.
I'm normally the one to come at you for it, but you're not entirely wrong.

I thought he created some good chances tonight. Boyle whiffing on that open net short handed was maddening.

Creating chances only goes so far. He's had a rough start to the season, but frankly, he has to be better. I keep wanting to say that he's playing with either a JT Miller who REALLY doesn't belong in the NHL right now, or Richards, who I'll get to in a minute, but the Callahan I know is a constant catalyst and a spark plug who makes things happen on any line.

He went for a high risk high reward play on that 3 on 1, and had a chance not only to break up the play but to start our first real oddman rush in 3 games the other way, and he missed the puck. I don't mind him looking offense there, but if you're going to do that, you HAVE to come away with the puck. No two ways around it.

I disagree with the notion of him being the most disappointing player this year, that man is named Richards.

Richards is not playing well. No, he's not washed up. No, he's not getting too old, or in need of a buy out, or a 2C at this point. He's simply not playing well. He'll pull out of it, that much I'm confident in. He had a good play on the powerplay last game, but we need him to make things happen.

Gaborik, Callahan, and Richards all went missing at the same time. We got lucky that Hags got hot and Nash picked it up too. Richards keeps putting up points, which is beyond my comprehension.

We can deal with one of them struggling. Not all 3.

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 11:12 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
He's not good in playoffs and disappears too much in the regular season. I think team needs identity change for us to take next step.
Oh boy. And what should this new identity be, out of curiosity? And who else would have to go if we're cleaning house? (Which would really silly to do, IMO.)

Maybe the coaching is the problem? I thought that Torts would open up the system a bit, with the addition of Nash, but it's still the same dump and grind. It seems like Torts just goes with his lunchpale grinders sometimes. How many times last year did the GDT's explode when Boyle, Prust, Feds were out there with two minutes to go when we were down a goal? The abysmal PP surely doesn't help either.

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 11:13 PM
Pugs35

Quote:
Del Zotto didn't have any blatant turnovers or anything like that, but Habs were consistently skating past him on the way to the net. That and he gets caught up ice constantly.

It's ok that he's not great defensively and gets caught here and there, but if he's gonna do that he needs to produce more, particularly on the PP.

Anyone that thanks Del Zotto has been better than Gilroy is going by one thing and one thing only, and that's TOI.
When Del Zotto goes up the ice, 95% of the time there is a forward in a position to cover for him. When Stralman, Gilroy, or even Staal go up the ice it leads to odd-man rushes > 50% of the time. I've had 0 problem with Del Zotto going up the ice this season so far.

Del Zotto almost never turns the puck over in his own zone, comparatively, Gilroy and Stralman do it with regularity and most times ends up with us hemmed into our zone for an extended period of time. This happened to each of them tonight that I noticed.

Del Zotto has his faults. They include his unwillingness to shoot, his lack of poise at times in the offensive zone, and his lack of speed (getting beat to the outside too often). People say he doesn't have the greatest hockey IQ, and maybe that's true, but Stralman's and Gilroy's are much worse than his.

Old
02-19-2013, 11:13 PM
smoneil

Quote:
He is in our top 4 right now and performing far better than Del Zotto in that role. That's not even up for debate right now imo. Bring up his production all you want, at least Stralman plays defense.
Stralman looks decent because he gets sheltered minutes. He is most certainly NOT in our top four, and if he were for any serious length of time, he would get roasted by the other team's good players.

smoneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 11:14 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callagraves View Post

I thought he created some good chances tonight. Boyle whiffing on that open net short handed was maddening.
I see the Boyle propaganda has spread throughout here. Only on HFNYR, a Boyle 'whiff' is where he legitimately hits the puck and goes off the crossbar. It was a good breakout for sure by Callahan and Boyle, too bad Boyle isn't the best of skaters, but he did good to get in position for the rebound.

Quote:
Creating chances only goes so far. He's had a rough start to the season, but frankly, he has to be better. I keep wanting to say that he's playing with either a JT Miller who REALLY doesn't belong in the NHL right now, or Richards, who I'll get to in a minute, but the Callahan I know is a constant catalyst and a spark plug who makes things happen on any line.

He went for a high risk high reward play on that 3 on 1, and had a chance not only to break up the play but to start our first real oddman rush in 3 games the other way, and he missed the puck. I don't mind him looking offense there, but if you're going to do that, you HAVE to come away with the puck. No two ways around it.

I disagree with the notion of him being the most disappointing player this year, that man is named Richards.

Richards is not playing well. No, he's not washed up. No, he's not getting too old, or in need of a buy out, or a 2C at this point. He's simply not playing well. He'll pull out of it, that much I'm confident in. He had a good play on the powerplay last game, but we need him to make things happen.

Gaborik, Callahan, and Richards all went missing at the same time. We got lucky that Hags got hot and Nash picked it up too. Richards keeps putting up points, which is beyond my comprehension.

This is a great post and I agree with it 100%. (Besides Richards being most disappointing, but you get the point)

Old
02-19-2013, 11:15 PM
Callagraves
Block shots

Quote:
Ignore my above response, this is just silly now. Don't actually ignore it. But still.

Old
02-19-2013, 11:16 PM
Machinehead
Brauch und Stolz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugs35 View Post
When Del Zotto goes up the ice, 95% of the time there is a forward in a position to cover for him. When Stralman, Gilroy, or even Staal go up the ice it leads to odd-man rushes > 50% of the time. I've had 0 problem with Del Zotto going up the ice this season so far.

Del Zotto almost never turns the puck over in his own zone, comparatively, Gilroy and Stralman do it with regularity and most times ends up with us hemmed into our zone for an extended period of time. This happened to each of them tonight that I noticed.

Del Zotto has his faults. They include his unwillingness to shoot, his lack of poise at times in the offensive zone, and his lack of speed (getting beat to the outside too often). People say he doesn't have the greatest hockey IQ, and maybe that's true, but Stralman's and Gilroy's are much worse than his.
Alright so he's not fast, his hockey IQ leaves something to be desired, he hasn't taken a shot in 2 years, and he can't QB and powerplay.

I'm still waiting for somebody to tell me what he's good at.

Old
02-19-2013, 11:16 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henriks Broadway Hat View Post
Oh boy. And what should this new identity be, out of curiosity? And who else would have to go if we're cleaning house? (Which would really silly to do, IMO.)

Maybe the coaching is the problem? I thought that Torts would open up the system a bit, with the addition of Nash, but it's still the same dump and grind. It seems like Torts just goes with his lunchpale grinders sometimes. How many times last year did the GDT's explode when Boyle, Prust, Feds were out there with two minutes to go when we were down a goal? The abysmal PP surely doesn't help either.
Chris Callahan is Ryan Drury.

That's all.

New identity should revolve around Hags, Stepan and McDonagh. Either one could be groomed as fine captains down the road. With McDonagh, he certainly always leads by example out there.

Old
02-19-2013, 11:17 PM
Machinehead
Brauch und Stolz

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoneil View Post
Stralman looks decent because he gets sheltered minutes. He is most certainly NOT in our top four, and if he were for any serious length of time, he would get roasted by the other team's good players.
What sheltered minutes are those? Certainly not 10 minutes of PP time every night, that would be Del Zotto.

Old
02-19-2013, 11:18 PM
Pugs35

Quote:
Alright so he's not fast, his hockey IQ leaves something to be desired, he hasn't taken a shot in 2 years, and he can't QB and powerplay.

I'm still waiting for somebody to tell me what he's good at.
He can score 40 points on an offensively starved team (and blueline) while playing 20+ minutes of solid defense. Oh and he's 22 years old.

Old
Callagraves
Block shots

Quote:
I see the Boyle propaganda has spread throughout here. Only on HFNYR, a Boyle 'whiff' is where he legitimately hits the puck and goes off the crossbar. It was a good breakout for sure by Callahan and Boyle, too bad Boyle isn't the best of skaters, but he did good to get in position for the rebound.
I'm not part of the anti-boyle crowd by any margin. I was watching the game without sound, and from what I saw it missed completely. It went off the cross bar for real?

Old
Panfork
Pacioretty Hater

Quote:

That's all.

New identity should revolve around Hags, Stepan and McDonagh. Either one could be groomed as fine captains down the road. With McDonagh, he certainly always leads by example out there.
Please stop.

Panfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
NY Lito
Blueshirt Pride

Quote:
I'm sorry, but this is absolutely absurd.

**** like this is why NYR fans have reputations of being bipolar, and why I call this fanbase the Chicken Littles of the hockey world: one loss and the sky is falling.

This is an embarrassment of a post. Not good in the playoffs? Are you ****ing kidding me? The man has won us games with his effort on the PK and blocking shots alone.

Absolute joke of a post. Embarrassing.

NY Lito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Graves94

Quote:

Great post! I agree with everything you've said, and I will also add that Hank has been a notch below his usual standard this year, so far.

Graves94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 11:19 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
I'm not part of the anti-boyle crowd by any margin. I was watching the game without sound, and from what I saw it missed completely. It went off the cross bar for real?
Yeah, sorry about the aggressive tone in my post, my bad. Sam and Joe were talking about how it went off the outside of the post and how Boyle did a good job getting the shot off in an awkward position.

Old
NY Lito
Blueshirt Pride

Quote:

That's all.

****ing joke.

You're either a very bad (good) troll or ****ing retarded.

NY Lito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Pugs35

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoneil View Post
Yep. See the Valentine's Day massacre last week where he played 19 minutes of awful hockey.