HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumor Thread IV - "What's all the roar over RoR?"

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-19-2013, 09:18 PM
  #76
Ail
k.
 
Ail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mysidia
Country: United States
Posts: 17,044
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
I highly doubt teams wouldn't take Richards for his close to 5 million/year left on his deal. Calgary? Toronto? Nashville? Dallas? CLB? SOMEONE!
I honestly think Toronto would still kick tires, but it wouldn't be for what it woulda been before he signed here.

The guy has value still, Gomez was traded.

It's probably best to ride him to the off-season, unless they get a killer offer at the trade deadline. Honestly so long as the Rangers are in the playoff run, Richards is going nowhere.

__________________
Ail is offline  
Old
02-19-2013, 09:24 PM
  #77
tjs252
Registered User
 
tjs252's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 490
vCash: 500
I still don't think you trade him because there's no readily available replacement.

He needs to play better, for sure, but I also think he's still playing at a level that exceeds what his immediate replacement would do. There's no center depth at all in the organization.

tjs252 is offline  
Old
02-19-2013, 09:26 PM
  #78
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,535
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjs252 View Post
I still don't think you trade him because there's no readily available replacement.

He needs to play better, for sure, but I also think he's still playing at a level that exceeds what his immediate replacement would do. There's no center depth at all in the organization.
There are other UFA options. Trade him for a good young player. I would rather see a young player.

NYR Viper is online now  
Old
02-19-2013, 09:31 PM
  #79
tjs252
Registered User
 
tjs252's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 490
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
There are other UFA options. Trade him for a good young player. I would rather see a young player.
Except for a trade to happen, both teams will have to want to make it and feel they are benefitting. You can't trade Richards under the premise that he's the worst thing in the history of ever and then expect a good young player back.

You also can't rely on a free agent center to be the linchpin of success. The Rangers, more than most, should know this: Sakic, Drury, Gomez, potentially Richards. It's scary to think that some still think this is a sustainable plan.

tjs252 is offline  
Old
02-19-2013, 09:34 PM
  #80
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,535
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjs252 View Post
Except for a trade to happen, both teams will have to want to make it and feel they are benefitting. You can't trade Richards under the premise that he's the worst thing in the history of ever and then expect a good young player back.

You also can't rely on a free agent center to be the linchpin of success. The Rangers, more than most, should know this: Sakic, Drury, Gomez, potentially Richards. It's scary to think that some still think this is a sustainable plan.
He doesn't fit here. Gomez didn't either. The Rangers targetted McDonagh, worked out well.

NYR Viper is online now  
Old
02-19-2013, 09:38 PM
  #81
smoneil
Registered User
 
smoneil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Rochester
Country: United States
Posts: 2,291
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post

Get Barrie in the return package to replace Del Zotto as an offensive threat from the defense.
Again, you say that like it's just that easy to do. This team has been trying to find a real PMD for 10 years. There have been PLENTY of times that we thought we had one. Gilroy. Sanguinetti. Pock. Tyutin. Staal. Girardi. Redden. Ozolinsh. Rachunek. And on, and on, and on. Guys like MDZ are significantly harder to acquire than guys like RO'R. The ONLY way to think that would be a good trade is if you assume that O'Reilly actually becomes a 65-75 point first line center (and I've seen nothing--at ANY level--that makes me think he has that potential) AND you assume that Del Zotto gets no better than he is today (a silly assumption to make, since he's been steadily improving since he entered the league).

I understand your concerns about center depth. I really do. That said, if the price for O'Reilly is MDZ, we should be shopping elsewhere. 90-100 forwards regularly put up 50+ points per year. There is no need to pay out the nose for THIS one just because he happens to be the flavor of the month.

smoneil is offline  
Old
02-19-2013, 09:43 PM
  #82
tjs252
Registered User
 
tjs252's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 490
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
He doesn't fit here. Gomez didn't either. The Rangers targetted McDonagh, worked out well.
Yeah, and Gomez was on the good side of 30 when the deal happened and Gainey lost his job. Deal's like that are the exception, not the norm.

If the argument is that of "fit" Gomez not fitting is at least slightly convincing, Richards' "fit" is not credible. He's playing in the system with the coach that he won a Stanley Cup. It's not like he's being asked to reinvent the wheel. And other GMs will note that. When we targeted Richards there was no issue of "fit." Any efforts to deal him will be a concession that his skills are in rapid decline, not that it's a square peg in a round hole, and that will greatly impact the value we receive back.

tjs252 is offline  
Old
02-19-2013, 09:45 PM
  #83
dethomas07
Registered User
 
dethomas07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: New York, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,222
vCash: 500
its not really MDZ, he moves the puck.. everyteam has that one guy who can take that one timer on the powerplay.. watch when we had jagr, my man would post up on the top of the circle and we would just dish to him and hed get the puck on net.. we have to start doing that.. watch the devils with kovy he just take one timers all day!!!

noone tees it up on our current team they just all pass the puck and don;t tell me none of these guys could shoot the puck, they're in the NHL for a reason and get paid top dollar.. its not about ripping it but just placing it on net so guys like callahan could get the garbage goals... look at clarkson on the devils...

its not complicated process

dethomas07 is offline  
Old
02-19-2013, 09:59 PM
  #84
Lundsanity30
Registered User
 
Lundsanity30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 10,483
vCash: 500
We need someone with a power shot that is one thing we lack

Lundsanity30 is offline  
Old
02-19-2013, 10:04 PM
  #85
Lundsanity30
Registered User
 
Lundsanity30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 10,483
vCash: 500
I dont know if I'm in favor of it but I'm starting to see why some are in favor of trading mdz for ROR. Del zotto is a top 4 guy but its true he will always be the 4th best d man on our team so I see your point. Just not sure I'm sold on him but I admit I haven't seen much video

Lundsanity30 is offline  
Old
02-19-2013, 10:32 PM
  #86
smoneil
Registered User
 
smoneil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Rochester
Country: United States
Posts: 2,291
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
I dont know if I'm in favor of it but I'm starting to see why some are in favor of trading mdz for ROR. Del zotto is a top 4 guy but its true he will always be the 4th best d man on our team so I see your point. Just not sure I'm sold on him but I admit I haven't seen much video
I don't know if I would say that Del Zotto will "always be" the 4th best. I'd be shocked if he ever got close to McD, but Staal is entering his prime. Girardi is IN his prime. Del Zotto at 21/22 is better (or at the very least equal) to those two at the same age.

smoneil is offline  
Old
02-19-2013, 10:59 PM
  #87
Lundsanity30
Registered User
 
Lundsanity30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 10,483
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoneil View Post
I don't know if I would say that Del Zotto will "always be" the 4th best. I'd be shocked if he ever got close to McD, but Staal is entering his prime. Girardi is IN his prime. Del Zotto at 21/22 is better (or at the very least equal) to those two at the same age.
Ok but DZ is only signed for two years. So def the immediate future

Lundsanity30 is offline  
Old
02-19-2013, 11:08 PM
  #88
SnowblindNYR
Registered User
 
SnowblindNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 17,263
vCash: 500
I feel like if we do this trade it has to be about the future. At this point, I'm not sure ROR is going to improve the team over MDZ. However, he will improve our center depth.

SnowblindNYR is offline  
Old
02-19-2013, 11:19 PM
  #89
Lundsanity30
Registered User
 
Lundsanity30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 10,483
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
I feel like if we do this trade it has to be about the future. At this point, I'm not sure ROR is going to improve the team over MDZ. However, he will improve our center depth.
Hes gotta be an improvement over richards. . Lol

Lundsanity30 is offline  
Old
02-19-2013, 11:31 PM
  #90
nyrpassion
Vetted.
 
nyrpassion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Washington DC
Country: United States
Posts: 4,203
vCash: 500
Thing is with DZ, offensive dman are so hard to find in this league. He is very inconstant though. But if we weren't getting a defense man back, who would play on D?
G- McD
Staal-Stralman
Bickle - Gilroy
Eminger ?
We have McIlrath and Skjei coming through the pipeline, that's about it.

nyrpassion is offline  
Old
02-20-2013, 07:00 AM
  #91
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,865
vCash: 500
Trade deadline is 6 weeks from today.

RangerBoy is offline  
Old
02-20-2013, 07:25 AM
  #92
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,535
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrpassion View Post
Thing is with DZ, offensive dman are so hard to find in this league. He is very inconstant though. But if we weren't getting a defense man back, who would play on D?
G- McD
Staal-Stralman
Bickle - Gilroy
Eminger ?
We have McIlrath and Skjei coming through the pipeline, that's about it.
The Habs have Yannick Weber available. The Canes have MA Gragnani. Are they on MDZ's level? Of course not. But there are players with some flaws available.

Streit, Visnovsky and White are all UFA's. Kaberle will most likely be bought out. There are rumors that Liles may be as well.

NYR Viper is online now  
Old
02-20-2013, 07:35 AM
  #93
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 14,930
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
The Habs have Yannick Weber available. The Canes have MA Gragnani. Are they on MDZ's level? Of course not. But there are players with some flaws available.

Streit, Visnovsky and White are all UFA's. Kaberle will most likely be bought out. There are rumors that Liles may be as well.
What a ringing endorsement for possible replacements.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline  
Old
02-20-2013, 07:37 AM
  #94
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,535
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
What a ringing endorsement for possible replacements.
When looking for nothing more than a bottom-pairing d-man every player is going to have his flaws. MDZ has his flaws.

NYR Viper is online now  
Old
02-20-2013, 07:42 AM
  #95
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 14,930
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
When looking for nothing more than a bottom-pairing d-man every player is going to have his flaws. MDZ has his flaws.
Of course he does. But he still plays 20+ minutes of hockey a night and solidifies a very solid top 4 defense corp.

I dont think O'Reilly the player is being overrated, but I do think his contractual issues and the tantrum hes throwing about not getting the captaincy speaks to some character problems -- but most of all, I think that the issue of replacing MDZ is being glossed over in nearly every post in this thread.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline  
Old
02-20-2013, 07:48 AM
  #96
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,535
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Of course he does. But he still plays 20+ minutes of hockey a night and solidifies a very solid top 4 defense corp.

I dont think O'Reilly the player is being overrated, but I do think his contractual issues and the tantrum hes throwing about not getting the captaincy speaks to some character problems -- but most of all, I think that the issue of replacing MDZ is being glossed over in nearly every post in this thread.
Of course it will be difficult to replace MDZ's production right now. I don't see how anyone can dispute that. However, moving forward he will, at least for the foreseeable future, be the 3rd LD. His skating is still below average, his hockey IQ shows flashes of what we all thought he would be but it's not consistent.

All I was pointing out is that if the Rangers wanted to take a shot at a puck-mover, there are some available via trade AND UFA this off-season. There are options if they are that worried about it.

With how inconsistent he is, I don't think the team would miss him all that much on a game-to-game basis as far as his offensive contribution though.

NYR Viper is online now  
Old
02-20-2013, 07:49 AM
  #97
mschmidt64
Registered User
 
mschmidt64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 830
vCash: 500
You are definitely taking a short term hit by losing MDZ in a trade, but the gamble is that the long term gain is better by hitting on a #1/#2 center in ROR than the short term loss by dealing a #4 defenseman in MDZ.

Long term, MDZ should be replaced adequately by guys already nearing readiness in our system (McIlrath soon, Skjei not too long after).

Do you think you are costing yourself a cup chance this year by dealing a top 4 defenseman? If so, the Rangers will have to pony up some other cheaper asset for a rental at the deadline to fill that hole.

mschmidt64 is offline  
Old
02-20-2013, 07:49 AM
  #98
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,535
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by caley View Post
Per TVA reporter Nicolas St.Pierre





https://twitter.com/nic_st_pierre/st...88858142478336

It makes sense, really. Bergeron is probably the odd man out with the Lightning, especially when Brendan Mikkelson is healthy and having Gudas/Barberio in the AHL, while the Sens add a veteran d-man who can pound the puck from the point. It would also fit GM Bryan Murray's MO of looking for a player without losing anyone from his roster.
Perfect example of someone who could help this team. MA Bergeron. Play him 7-9 minutes a night with PP time. Bickel and Gilroy barely play more than that. That's an option to help jump-start the PP.

NYR Viper is online now  
Old
02-20-2013, 07:56 AM
  #99
Vitto79
Registered User
 
Vitto79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sarnia
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,551
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Trade deadline is 6 weeks from today.
That will come up before we know it. They really need to get into a good playoff spot over the next month. Last nights game was crap but they did just get 9 of 10 pts so they are on the right track.

I think losing AA, Dubi, Prust hurts more than we realize since the depth is not there......Nash is awesome but the bottom 6 are hurt so they needs some rentals to fill in. Cant really trust going with kids like Kreider and Miller.........they will be big parts of this teams future but if they are trying to win now which they are they need vet bodies.

Vitto79 is offline  
Old
02-20-2013, 08:05 AM
  #100
pld459666
Registered User
 
pld459666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 16,413
vCash: 500
Going over the standings and looking for a trade partner that could use a guy like Brad Richards is a tough thing to do, but I think that I may have found a team that could use a solid center.

The Minnesota Wild are currently 10th in the West, 2 points out of the 8th spot. They have Koivu and Parise leading the team in scoring. The teams listed 2nd line center according to this site http://forecaster.thehockeynews.com/...hchart.php?Min is Kyle Brodziak. Kyle has 2 points on the season. Mikael Granlund isn't faring much better with 6 points on the season.

The problem is that they would need to send salary back our way and the only guy I think they would be willing to part with in that regards would be Heatley.

Not an ideal choice, but one to consider as his contract is just for this season and next allowing us the financial flexibility to do some creative things during the summer of 2014

I would be looking for more than just Heater back because even when he struggles as he has this year, Richards is still putting up points to the tune of 60 points over a full season.

I know they are not going to part with Granlund or Coyle and they are going to look to retain Brodin as I believe he has vaulted to the top of their prospect listing regardless of what HF may have you believe.

That leads me to Dumba. A high risk, high reward kind of defenceman that would make me feel more comfortable pursuing a deal surrounding MDZ for ROR.

My thoughts are two-fold

Brad Richards to Minnesota for Heatley and Dumba

MDZ to Colorado for Ryan O'Reilly

The lines after these moves would look like this:

Hagelin - Stepan - Nash
Heatley - O'Reilly - Gaborik
Kreider - Miller - Callahan
Pyatt/Powe - Boyle/Halpern - Asham/Halpern/Boyle

On Defence we would take a step back this year

McDonagh - Girardi
Staal - Stralman
Eminger, Gilroy, Bickel

The defence is a little thin, but not for long.

Not sure if the Richards deal is pie in the sky or to low and the reason for that is Richards play is really concerning me. Is this what we can expect from him? or is this a phase he's going through.

Let me know what you guys think.

pld459666 is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:55 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.