HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Sochi 2014: Pre-qualification

Old
02-12-2013, 02:54 PM
Bure80

vCash: 500
I respect what Slovenia did really great effort.But still think such a important tournament shoud be played with the best players of each country.

Bure80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 05:31 PM
zamo86

Well, Slovenia did miss a couple of players as well.

zamo86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 11:28 PM
v-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bure80 View Post
In my opinion these olympic qualification was a complete farce.
A little country like Denmark is fined for develop players in the NHL.
In my opinion they should play this tournament before the NHL season, after the season or allow to play with NHL players.
Quote:
I respect what Slovenia did really great effort.But still think such a important tournament shoud be played with the best players of each country.
Perhaps the NHL should allow their players to leave their club teams for international games like they do in football (soccer). These three games wouldn't have been a big sacrifice (even less so during a regular 82 game season). But considering they didn't even release their players for actual first round Olympic games in 2006, that seems unlikely. Playing qualification tournaments in the off season brings up conditioning issues, and besides, that's the time when the lower ranked teams begin to play their pre-qualification games just to make it to the final tournament. Asking them to play two or three tournaments in a row wouldn't be fair. In the end, Germany and Denmark had just as many opportunities as Norway to finish in the top 9 and avoid qualification tournaments all together, but they didn't play well enough. That's no one's fault but their own.

Last edited by v-man: 02-12-2013 at 11:37 PM.
v-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 12:30 PM
EbencoyE

Quote:
The NHL doesn't even want to let players go to the Olympics at all. You really think they'd release players for the qualifications?

It's great for Denmark that they have high-end talent in the NHL, but successful national programs can't rely solely on their stars. You need talent AND depth, and Denmark obviously lacks the depth.

EbencoyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 06:27 PM
Ro Herregraven
Dutch hockey nut

Agreed
The Netherlands has three players in the NCAA and one in the CHL who would easily rank as our top players, but leaving the team mid-season is a no-no just as much as it is in the NHL.

Did we complain? Ofcourse not. We're proud of those guys for making it that far and we're proud of what the team managed to accomplish without them.

Ro Herregraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 10:39 AM
Ryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro Herregraven View Post
Agreed
The Netherlands has three players in the NCAA and one in the CHL who would easily rank as our top players, but leaving the team mid-season is a no-no just as much as it is in the NHL.

Did we complain? Ofcourse not. We're proud of those guys for making it that far and we're proud of what the team managed to accomplish without them.
Well, I guess they're complaining because their guys could've pushed the team to make the Olympics, whereas in your case that wouldn't happen.

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 11:50 PM
v-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by likid View Post
I'll try to explain this.

Green colour in Slovenia actually represent capital city Ljubljana and their main club Olimpija. In Slovenia everything is very Ljubljana oriented (all governmental institutions are in Ljubljana, people in Ljubljana earn app. 30 - 40% more than in other parts of Slovenia, we have huge unemployment rate in Slovenia, but in Ljubljana is very small, many better companies are moving from other Slovenian cities to Ljubljana because of special state benefits...). And because of that almost all Slovenians from other parts of Slovenia are alergic on Ljubljana.

With the green colour it is similar. As I already mention green colour is the colour of Ljubljana and their biggest sport club Olimpija. And it is not a secret that people, who were close to Olimpija, had heavilly influenced after our independence the decision that green should be our main national colour for our national teams in all sports.

But Hockey is special story. We have (had) only two serious teams. Jesenice and Olimpija. Main colour for Jesenice is red, and for Olimpija green. Jesenice were always our cornerstone of hockey, most Slovenin best hockey players in the past and also in current national team are from Jesenice and surraundings, Jesenice were mainly national champion in EX-Yugoslavia and because of that also the key people in Slovenian hockey were also from Jesenice. And they never allowed green colour for our hockey national team. This is the only Slovenian national team that never had green jerseys.

Also others our national teams in other sports are slowly following this path and now very few of them are staying in green jerseys. Main colours now are blue, white and a bit of green.
Thanks for the explanation. Much appreciated.

Just came across this concept on fb with the green incorporated. It could work (not this specific design though, which is obviously 5 years behind the times), but I think the crest clashes and looks odd in its official colours against the blue and green backdrop. A simple recolouring using only blue, green, white and maybe gray, similar to the one on Latvia's jerseys might make it work though.

Last edited by v-man: 02-20-2013 at 06:00 PM.
v-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 01:21 AM
boris4c

I think it would be great to incorporate the green as it has been the country's national colour since independence in every sport, except hockey.

Even at the Winter Olympics, the skiers and other athletes will be wearing the green.

boris4c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 11:32 AM
Ryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-man View Post

Just came across this concept on fb with the green incorporated. It could work (not this specific design though, which is obviously 5 years behind the times), but I think the crest clashes and looks odd in its official colours against the blue and green backdrop. A simple recolouring using only blue, green, white and maybe gray, similar to the one on Latvia's jerseys might make it work though.

Yeah, apart from the green "Slovenija" inscription on the front looking a bit weird, these jerseys look much better than the ones posted on the previous page. So as far as I'm concerned, I'd be awesome if they went with something similar.

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 06:28 AM
likid

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-man View Post

It is already confirmed that Slovenia in Sochi 2014 won't play in their usual colours (blue, red and white) but in combination of colours that is attached here (blue, green and white). Because these colours are official colours of Slovenian Olympic Comitee and hockey federation agreed that they won't have different colours than other Slovenian participants in OG next year.

likid is offline   Reply With Quote