HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

How to become a great skater (besides practicing)

Old
02-18-2013, 01:23 PM
SexyJoffreyLupul

vCash: 500
How to become a great skater (besides practicing)

I've been skating 3 times a week since december but i am still a bad skater. I can more or less transistion and stop eith my right foot, but i can't crossover efficiently or do anything else in game situation. does anyone have any tips or good skating drills that i can use to increase my skating ability?

SexyJoffreyLupul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 01:38 PM
deeman

Have you taken a class? A power skating or agility class can do wonders for your ability to transition, stop and cross-overs. They have good building exercises which systemitically build on each other, then they bring it all together and you'll be able to pull off stuff you could never do.

I need to get back into a class too to improve. I keep lying to myself that playing pickup 1-3 times per week is going to make me a better skater - and I am sure it does to a certain extent - but my progression is slow since I am always playing it safe and not trying new techniques.

deeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 01:47 PM
predfan24

A few things to think about, there is no way to get better other than practicing, it sounds like you are trying to teach yourself and that's admirable but you are likely not practicing with good technique. Find a power skating coach and your results will come much quicker. Also learning to become a great skater takes a looooonnnnngggggggggg time. I am far from a great skater but I would consider myself adequate. In my beer league (Intermediate level) I would consider myself in the top 25% of skaters. Also I have been an athlete my whole life and am just more naturally athletic than some others and I would say it still took me several years of playing until I was truly comfortable using all skating techniques in game situations. Yet even today I have my strengths and weaknesses as most people are stronger on some edges than other. My point is even though it's frustrating it just takes practice and time. If you are dedicated the results will come you just have to be patient.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 01:54 PM
SexyJoffreyLupul

thanks for the replies, i will check out my local power skating instructor. I'm trying to learn skating while spending as little money as possible. I have noticed that i'm stalling in improvement and i am worried that i am ingraining bad habits with the amont of skating that i do.

SexyJoffreyLupul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 03:04 PM
beenhereandthere

While, it's not going to make you a great skater, it's better than doing nothing if you're cost conscious: Rollerblade/Roller Hockey, as much as possible. Except for the stopping, the basic skating principle, is still the same.

beenhereandthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
While, it's not going to make you a great skater, it's better than doing nothing if you're cost conscious: Rollerblade/Roller Hockey, as much as possible. Except for the stopping, the basic skating principle, is still the same.
Rollerblading is good for a work out but roller hockey makes for a lot of bad habits. I would advise satying away from rollerhockey until you have a comfort level on ice first. Then you can correct your own bad habits.

I actually think foot hockey helps. Not with skating but it forces you to move your feet more. Another thing is that stickhandling while running will helpout your hands.

#66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 03:54 PM
BmxHockey

Yes, nothing helps more than hiring a coach and going back to learn all the fundamentals of skating. Re-learn it all the right way with a goal of skating efficiency. If you're efficient then you have more energy and are less prone to falling and hurting yourself.

Another beauty about ice skating is that you don't have to do everything fast. You do everything slow so you can build the myelin needed to make it automatic.

Lastly, YouTube videos can't see what you're doing wrong, and can't configure what you need to correct.

BmxHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 05:35 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SexyJoffreyLupul View Post
I've been skating 3 times a week since december but i am still a bad skater. I can more or less transistion and stop eith my right foot, but i can't crossover efficiently or do anything else in game situation. does anyone have any tips or good skating drills that i can use to increase my skating ability?
Keep it up and you'll be fine. 3 times a week is plenty enough.

But when do get out there, push yourself and don't be afraid of falling.

Wilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 08:15 PM
kr580
HF's Minecraft Guy

Send a message via AIM to kr580
I'll warn you: there's a lot here. Don't try and learn it all at once or you're gonna overwhelm yourself, haha.

Try watching these and trying to pick up some things. They're not the most in-depth on the specific things needed for each move but it's still a great overview. If you can't do certain things at least look at the technique and work your way towards that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gLI8l21hO4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27Vyw_X04Y8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbwTWxpLzWY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZnfktIar_o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSvTARYr33s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TY835_ZLyiE

The series is called Team Canada Skills of Gold. This is all from the first DVD of the series if you wanted to check it out more.

I'd also look for stuff by Laura Stamm. She describes the techniques very in-depth. I can't find any of the original videos but here's a couple that are good from her company. They might be a little advanced for you to perform right away but pay attention to the techniques and work towards that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFH8VCXKUyQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yt2FusnlKlw

People say I got really good and quick very fast when I started 3 years ago. It was 100% because of Laura Stamm's videos. I've never took a lesson, all self taught or copying what I saw other skaters doing.

kr580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 08:39 PM
Thesensation19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SexyJoffreyLupul View Post
I am sure you improved more than you know, but also you may not be maximizing your potential. Cant just "practice" or "skate" and be better every time you do it. What if your skating wrong, so your practicing wrong and thus your not doing any good.

Yet I am impressed that your skating rather than waiting for replies on how to get better. Good, a good tip on skating is making sure your keeping your back straight, legs shoulder width apart. Making sure your knees are bent when its on the floor and make sure each push off is with direct force off the ground. Look at some youtube videos, plenty just on this...

Some drills you can do is circles. SKate circles around each faceoff circle. Both directions. Figure 8's are great too. Use the two circles in the zone and just skate in a figure 8. Also, when your skating around the rink you can do as such.

1) Start from one corner. Sprint around the net/crease
2) slow down as you are going straight on the side wall
3) when approaching the offsides line, do a quick and powerful cross over towads the center circle and when you approach the center do the same cross over (differ leg) towards the point where the opposing offsides line meets the boards.

*confusing but hopefully youll get it

4) Slow up speed as you are skating in a straight line along the boards then when you approach the end cross over and sprint around the net (ull notice that this is now a cycle) continue.

There is sso many drills you can do on the ice (youtube), but dont forget to use off ice drills. Great when you cant get on the ice, great to improve muscle stability, strength, balance and conditioning.

*Look up Jagr Czech Drills, awesome

Simple (with or without weights) squats, lunges, core workouts and back work outs can improve your skating indirectly.

Message me if you want to know more

Thesensation19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 09:27 PM
mbhhofr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thesensation19 View Post

a good tip on skating is making sure your keeping your back straight, legs shoulder width apart. Making sure your knees are bent
If you keep your back straight, you won't have good balance and it will not allow you to get good speed. Bend knees and bend forward at the waist.

mbhhofr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 11:41 PM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Dryland training can go a long way to improving skating.

I disagree that skating on the ice is the only way to improve your skating.

There are a ton of mechanics that go into skating that can be trained on dryland.

Doesnt mean someone can be a good skater by only doing dryland and not skating.

Some of the issues facing skaters include:

- foot coordination/speed
- balance
- strength
- explosiveness
- flexibility

If you want to become a better skater you will go much farther committing yourself to say 1 hour of dryland training a day and working on the above. As opposed to doing 5 days of power skating once a year.

A massive part of skating that gets over looked is your core. A strong core is a must for developing your skating.

I would start out doing deadlifts to build your posterior chain (glutes, hamstrings, lower back) and doing goblet squats (lighter weight but deeper squat that helps open up your hip muscles/ligaments). These will also help develop your balance and your core.

Also do core exercises like the plank and side plank.

I would also do balance exercises. Balance is as much about the strength of all those little tiny no name muscles as it is about the neuro logical response.

You can get balance boards and half foam rollers (one flat side one round side), you can also set up a walking course of various lengths and of 2x4 wood pieces. With any of these you can stick handle (two birds with one stone and recreated the real mechanics) as you practice your balance. For example with the wood pieces cut a few 8 foot lengths of 2x4 into random lengths. Make a course (imagine logs on a river) and walk the course never stepping on the ground and stick handling the whole time.

You can also get a Bosu ball for balance and do exercises on that. I do my one armed shoulder presses with kettle bells on a BOSU to help with balance.

Do lots of hockey specific stretches to open up the muscles/tendon/ligaments used in hockey ( these are often not used in any other sports).

You can also do simple foot coordination foot speed drills such as dots. Basically make a square with markings on the floor, a dot in each corner plus one in the center and do some drills. Kinds like that Wii dance game all the kids love doing.

Id worry about explosiveness later on once youve got a good foundation (unless youve been working out for some time now). You can do sprints, plyo metrics etc for that.

Lonny Bohonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 07:38 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Robby Glantz has a power skating series. It taught me a lot about skating properly (forward anyway ), huge help for me. I typically have enough speed to keep up with the fastest skaters on the ice.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 10:48 AM
mistrhanky

I would recommend a single lesson with a private coach. I had been skating about 6 months when I finally tried that. She made a couple tweaks to my stride which immediately increased my speed by probably 20%. She did a lot of work on edge control and then... ugg.... my backskate. My backskate was awful. I had never done this right. Fundamentally, when I taught myself, I was always putting my weight on the foot pushing off, not on the glide foot. This just completely limited my ability to ever develop a proper rhythm or technique, let alone develop a backward crossover step(impossible). I took that one lesson and the drills she gave me, and practiced them like crazy. Then when I felt I had improved a lot, went back for another.

For me, a lot of it was about re-learning things from my bad self taught habits. So, I would work with her to get the 'feel' for how it should be done right, then practice the hell out of it, then go back for more.

mistrhanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 11:57 AM
BmxHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistrhanky View Post
For me, a lot of it was about re-learning things from my bad self taught habits. So, I would work with her to get the 'feel' for how it should be done right, then practice the hell out of it, then go back for more.
Good for you. Again, the value of a private coach can knock years off the learning curve. While videos are great to watch on the internets, it can't watch you thus make corrections and configure you properly.

BmxHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 06:56 PM
JR97

Nobody mentioned it but visualizing yourself doing it properly goes a long way. Spend some time seeing yourself playing the game effortlessly and skating flawlessly.

I couldn't skate backwards and do backwards crossovers to save my life. This was in the days before youtube, so I didn't have the luxury of seeing instructional clips. But what I did have was some taped games of Scott Neidermeyer from his NJ Devil years. He's probably as smooth a skater as you'll ever see.

Anywho, I visualized myself doing what he was doing and then a few times out at the local tennis court on my inlines it just clicked. Then it was just a matter of building the speed and honing the technique. I think what helped it click is that I didn't think about it. I just did what I had visualized over and over.

JR97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 07:58 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR97 View Post
Nobody mentioned it but visualizing yourself doing it properly goes a long way. Spend some time seeing yourself playing the game effortlessly and skating flawlessly.

I couldn't skate backwards and do backwards crossovers to save my life. This was in the days before youtube, so I didn't have the luxury of seeing instructional clips. But what I did have was some taped games of Scott Neidermeyer from his NJ Devil years. He's probably as smooth a skater as you'll ever see.

Anywho, I visualized myself doing what he was doing and then a few times out at the local tennis court on my inlines it just clicked. Then it was just a matter of building the speed and honing the technique. I think what helped it click is that I didn't think about it. I just did what I had visualized over and over.
I would recommend asking a friend to record how you skate. Visualizing helps, seeing it helps even more.

I always think I'm swinging at 70% in golf, but my friends will always point out I'm overswinging.

Old
02-19-2013, 11:27 PM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
I would recommend asking a friend to record how you skate. Visualizing helps, seeing it helps even more.

I always think I'm swinging at 70% in golf, but my friends will always point out I'm overswinging.
True.

On that topic you can buy the V1 software to analyze your sports movements. Costs $40. Get a camera that allows high speed recording and you can break down any movement frame by frame.

http://www.v1golf.com/products/v1-home.asp

Old
02-20-2013, 12:02 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

I had to tone down big time on my golf swing. I used to swing like Jamie Sadlowski and made divots like the Guatemala sinkhole.

Anyway, with smartphones and video recording function readily available, shouldn't be too hard to grab someone to record for you in a public skate.

Old
02-20-2013, 12:26 AM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
I had to tone down big time on my golf swing. I used to swing like Jamie Sadlowski and made divots like the Guatemala sinkhole.

Anyway, with smartphones and video recording function readily available, shouldn't be too hard to grab someone to record for you in a public skate.
The issue I found with phones and most cameras is they dont allow proper frame by frame without the high speed recording capability.

The flip side is high speed recording often means less clear images unless you spring for a very expensive camera.

But the image quality is fine enough to frame by frame analyze the mechanics.

Old
02-20-2013, 01:02 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonny Bohonos View Post
The issue I found with phones and most cameras is they dont allow proper frame by frame without the high speed recording capability.

The flip side is high speed recording often means less clear images unless you spring for a very expensive camera.

But the image quality is fine enough to frame by frame analyze the mechanics.
Yeah, it's not good enough for golf or hockey shots. It's definitely enough for skating technique though.