HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Alex Galchenyuk Thread 10.0 - NHL'er! Edition

Closed Thread

Old
02-20-2013, 12:57 AM
No Team Needed

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagielski41 View Post
I love the fact that Chuckie is #1 and Yakupov #15!

Conacher and Tarasenko have cooled down considerably. Schultz and Despres haven't done much either. Granlund is finally looking good but otherwise it's a great time for Galchenyuk to prove he's consistent.

The biggest difference between Conacher, Tarasenko and Galchenyuk is that Conacher and Tarasenko play against better competition, or they were. They also play bigger minutes. That said, if Galchenyuk continues being Mr. Reliable putting up points and staying with an extremely strong +/- (thank you Prust), if he wins the NHL rookie race he'll win the Calder. No question there.

I wouldn't count out Conacher or Tarasenko, nor would I count out Dougie Hamilton, Nail Yakupov or even Huberdeau and Granlund. I also wouldn't count out Brendan Gallagher of course. I like the rookie race this year. It's going to actually be between 10 players.

Old
02-20-2013, 01:15 AM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prallchengher View Post
Under Martin, games in which the team were skating hard for every inch of space was rare to find, and once we got a lead, we get would suddenly get passive. This game against the Rags was truly a doozy, but I think that was more from it being a back-to-back.

But against Carolina, we were skating, getting sticks or something in the way, and putting ourselves in position to disrupt plays. It was not exciting, yet at the same, the players weren't just sitting back flat-footed.

And the passing is much better with this team, even from guys like Moen and Armstrong
Yeah true.

Martin didn't have the luxury of having that kind of a bottom six either though. But I know what you mean. They rush the puck carrier and dictate the play much more now than under Martin where they played more of a reactionary game.

I was one of the few that liked JM. But I like MT a lot more so far. I like how he eased Gally and Gally into important game situations and seems to be able to create confidence in young players. JM was a great tactician but lacked in that aspect.

The Habs are playing a style that is similar to what JM preached, but bench management is better under Therrien imo. The basic ideologies are similar though as far as I can tell so far.

Old
02-20-2013, 01:20 AM
ReppingMTL

Gotta throw Jonas Brodin in the mix. I catch Wild games and he is something special. Hopefully both Gally's keep it up.

Old
02-20-2013, 02:10 AM
BobbyFischer*

Can Galchenyuk win the Calder?

Old
02-20-2013, 02:56 AM
No Team Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyFischer View Post
Can Galchenyuk win the Calder?
Yes.

Tampa has Conacher up on the top line. He hasn't been performing (a little better last night). Tampa is weak on the left side until Malone returns so you won't be seeing him fall out of the top six until then. Benoit Pouliot has really stepped up for the Bolts so Conacher needs to step up his play.

Tarasenko has also cooled down but who knows for how long. St. Louis has a lot of depth but I think they love him on the top six there. He's been facing stiffer competition defensively and hasn't really made good on it.

Galchenyuk's competition is always limited by Therrien. Even on the road, Galchenyuk isn't facing the top six of the road teams. That opens him up quite a bit. His minutes aren't being abused and he's showing serious consistency. If he keeps it up, he'll probably finish the year with 30 points, which is where I believe the top rookie players will land in scoring.

That said, Tarasenko, Conacher and Huberdeau are all going to get more top six opportunities than him. That might give them the point edge in the end.

Old
02-20-2013, 03:03 AM
Nicko999

vCash: 281

Old
02-20-2013, 03:31 AM
Nicko999

vCash: 281
Here are a few "Chuckie" numbers...

-Leads the team in ES pts with 10, second is Gallagher with 8 and tied for third are Pacioretty and Bourque with 7.
-Tied for 19th in the league in ES pts.

Kid is going to GOOD!!!

Old
02-20-2013, 06:43 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine View Post
Thank god we tanked it last year.
Yep....A whole lot of hypocrisy around here for some with the WE DON'T TANK attitude and yet their favorite player for the next 10 to 15 years will happen to be a product of a tank....Yeah, I know, there are OTHER players elsewhere in the draft that happens to be great players as well. We will see that in 2013 even more than in the other years. Yet, as great as our head scout is, the product of a tank will be the best player he has drafted since he's with us. Even him needs some tanking help.

Old
02-20-2013, 07:13 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Yep....A whole lot of hypocrisy around here for some with the WE DON'T TANK attitude and yet their favorite player for the next 10 to 15 years will happen to be a product of a tank....Yeah, I know, there are OTHER players elsewhere in the draft that happens to be great players as well. We will see that in 2013 even more than in the other years. Yet, as great as our head scout is, the product of a tank will be the best player he has drafted since he's with us. Even him needs some tanking help.
We didn't TANK last yaer, we just had a really ****** year where a lot of things went wrong and we fell big time in the standings. There is a BIG difference.

Old
02-20-2013, 07:15 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
We didn't TANK last yaer, we just had a really ****** year where a lot of things went wrong and we fell big time in the standings. There is a BIG difference.
We didn't tank from day one, but we tanked in the end.

Cammalleri, Gill, and Kostitsyn were traded for futures.

Geoffrion and Staubitz were brought in for entertainment.

Old
02-20-2013, 07:21 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
See DaChampion post. The idea is that in the end, if you want more chances to build a better team, you need to pick top 5 if not top 3. So when things aren't going well, you just "fix it" to be sure it doesn't go any better. OF COURSE, nobody will shoot wide or will Price allow 10 goals just to be sure that the tank happens, yet, it's all about how the management handles the situation, not the players. You roll 4 lines, you make trades and so on.

Old
02-20-2013, 07:28 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
See DaChampion post. The idea is that in the end, if you want more chances to build a better team, you need to pick top 5 if not top 3. So when things aren't going well, you just "fix it" to be sure it doesn't go any better. OF COURSE, nobody will shoot wide or will Price allow 10 goals just to be sure that the tank happens, yet, it's all about how the management handles the situation, not the players. You roll 4 lines, you make trades and so on.
In spite of all those efforts to lose, we were still just a few wins away from drafting Forsberg or Faksa rather than Galchenyuk.

Old
02-20-2013, 07:35 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
In spite of all those efforts to lose, we were still just a few wins away from drafting Forsberg or Faksa rather than Galchenyuk.
Maybe, but it's often the case anyway. Last year, even Edmonton was just 3 wins away from Toronto and Anaheim. Florida the year before, was bottom 3 but just 1 win from bottom 5 etc.

Old
02-20-2013, 07:37 AM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
There were a lot of key losses at the end of the season, I remember Carolina, NYI and Toronto being must lose games and I must admit it was somewhat fun reading TO's board after they beat us because they were all freaking out over it. It's like a playoffs race but in reverse, and everything worked out perfectly. It really couldn't of gone better with Columbus taking Murrray, TO not drafting their center, and Grigs is being terribly mishandled in Buffalo (although that kind of pisses me off at this point),

Old
02-20-2013, 07:41 AM
Fifthgear

I´m still convinced that if Galchenyuk wouln´t have got injured last year, Galchenyuk would have been an Oiler or Blue Jackets for sure! So glad that the Canadiens didn´t win that draft lottery also !!!

Old
02-20-2013, 08:41 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifthgear View Post
I´m still convinced that if Galchenyuk wouln´t have got injured last year, Galchenyuk would have been an Oiler or Blue Jackets for sure! So glad that the Canadiens didn´t win that draft lottery also !!!
Timmins said he wanted Gally anyways so I would think if we had won the lottery we would have selected him 1st overall anyways

Old
02-20-2013, 08:47 AM
MaxLacoste

Quote:
Yeah, but we got Galchenyuk, it's done, he's our. We now have a cornerstone player at every position (F:Galchenyuk, D: Subban, G: Price). We can build around them. Tanking is not necessary anymore. I though so, but now I don't. We need wingers now (and maybe a long term solution for 2nd line center). With 4 picks in top60, we should aim for 3 fowards and one big stay at home D.

Old
02-20-2013, 08:49 AM
MarkovsKnee

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
So once Gally comes back, who moves to another line, Eller or Prust?

Pacioretty-Desharnais-Cole
Bourque-Plekanec-Gionta
Eller-Galchenyuk-Gally
Prust-White/Moen/Armstrong
I think the Patches - DD - BGally line was superb before Gally got injured. BGally and Patches had some real chemistry and DD looked like the player he was last year. Cole is really dragging that line down.

Right now Cole is the one who deserves to be on the 4th line. Maybe playing with Moen and White will bring his game around.

Old
02-20-2013, 08:56 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Should we send him back down to Sarnia?

Old
02-20-2013, 08:58 AM
jlawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxLacoste View Post
Yeah, but we got Galchenyuk, it's done, he's our. We now have a cornerstone player at every position (F:Galchenyuk, D: Subban, G: Price). We can build around them. Tanking is not necessary anymore. I though so, but now I don't. We need wingers now (and maybe a long term solution for 2nd line center). With 4 picks in top60, we should aim for 3 fowards and one big stay at home D.
At this point I think Eller can be that guy

Old
02-20-2013, 08:58 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxLacoste View Post
If we would have tanked this year...and somehow would have been able to get another 1st rounder....this team would have been a contender for years to come. That's how strong this draft is. Thing is, it is so strong, that it's clearly possible that some great gems will be picked up later than the top 5, even top 10, and even 2nd round. So if Timmins do that well....we will be great....but chances are we would have been better if a bad season would have also happened.

If Columbus is intelligent for once.....they can turn their franchise around just with the upcoming draft and their 3 1st rounders....

Old
02-20-2013, 09:21 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Team Needed View Post
Conacher and Tarasenko have cooled down considerably. Schultz and Despres haven't done much either. Granlund is finally looking good but otherwise it's a great time for Galchenyuk to prove he's consistent.

The biggest difference between Conacher, Tarasenko and Galchenyuk is that Conacher and Tarasenko play against better competition, or they were. They also play bigger minutes. That said, if Galchenyuk continues being Mr. Reliable putting up points and staying with an extremely strong +/- (thank you Prust), if he wins the NHL rookie race he'll win the Calder. No question there.

I wouldn't count out Conacher or Tarasenko, nor would I count out Dougie Hamilton, Nail Yakupov or even Huberdeau and Granlund. I also wouldn't count out Brendan Gallagher of course. I like the rookie race this year. It's going to actually be between 10 players.
Also worth keeping in mind that before this season, Conacher and Tarasenko were playing against men. Galchenyuk was playing against teenagers. So maybe it won't necessarily win him the Calder, but it makes what he's doing all the more impressive IMO.

Old
02-20-2013, 09:29 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
If we would have tanked this year...and somehow would have been able to get another 1st rounder....this team would have been a contender for years to come. That's how strong this draft is. Thing is, it is so strong, that it's clearly possible that some great gems will be picked up later than the top 5, even top 10, and even 2nd round. So if Timmins do that well....we will be great....but chances are we would have been better if a bad season would have also happened.

If Columbus is intelligent for once.....they can turn their franchise around just with the upcoming draft and their 3 1st rounders....
They brought in Kekalainen. They'll be fine now.

Old
02-20-2013, 09:46 AM
GalHabsGal

I am watching the game right now for the second time, and OMG, Gally is playing with so much more confidence compare to the beginning of the season, congrats Gally

I can see Gally finishing the season with 30-40 Pts

Edit: Next Thread could be ----> Alex Galchenyuk Thread 11.0 - Calder Edition

Edit2: hooo and BTW, I really miss the number 94 of Gally

Last edited by GalHabsGal: 02-20-2013 at 10:20 AM.
Old
02-20-2013, 10:26 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Cakes!

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
There were a lot of key losses at the end of the season, I remember Carolina, NYI and Toronto being must lose games,
The St Patty's day game when they beat us in a shootout when we had a PP in the final minute of the 3rd and then to start OT was divine intervention. If we win that game, Galchenyuk is probably an Islander right now. Or maybe they would have just taken Reinhart at 3rd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Timmins said he wanted Gally anyways so I would think if we had won the lottery we would have selected him 1st overall anyways
Yeah but it would have been a very controversial pick to take him #1, adding even more pressure on Galchenyuk.

Closed Thread