Alfredsson Rumour/Speculation

Old
02-20-2013, 09:08 AM
ODAAT

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovi View Post
Marc Recchi> Daniel Alfredsson

thanks. I dont picture Daniel standing in front of the net taking a beating and chipping in the goal.

classy guy but not sure he's the "oomph" we need on the roster.
Many here mention Ryder far too often when talking about "needs", I`ve bit my lip for far too long but truth is, has this team replaced what Rex could bring?? And I`m not necessarily talking about the leadership aspect as I think this team has lots of that.

I`m speaking specifically about players who`ll take the abuse that Rex, at his age, willingly subjected himself to for the better of the team nightly. I don`t see it, I see lots of Bruins stand in front of the net, but not in front of the goalie, huge difference and THAT, is what made Rex so valuable. You don`t have to be huge to be effective in front as Rex and many others have shown us, how about Chia go out and get a guy who`s willing to take that abuse you mentioned??

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 09:08 AM
the overrated
wicked overrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caballo Blanco View Post
We need a long term solution. Not an over the hill rental.
Unless it was an unexpected, larger "youth for youth" trade (that involved a young player that was signed for multiple years at a cap-friendly deal) I don't see Chiarelli trading for a long term solution.

I think the main reason that Bourque is getting such a long opportunity is that Chiarelli really wants that 3rd line spot to be won by someone in-house, so he can focus his available money on re-signing Rask & resigning/replacing Horton & Khudobin.

A rental that would help on winning a Cup this year and then likely be let walk in the off-season is just more likely to me than an older guy that is going to be kept around ... unless, of course, it was the expense of a Horton or Kelly or Peverley in the off-season.

the overrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 09:09 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotiahockey View Post
I have been pushing hard on Alfie since the lockout started. I WOULD trade Spooner for him, and a 2nd, and that would get it done IMO. Caron and a 1st works for me too. I think Alfie fixes so many problems the Bruins face right now, and he has CLOSE ties with Kelly and Z, and Chia knows him. OTT has got to to into total rebuild mold right now. There season is toast, and they should be moving everyone who is up at years end. Alfie included.

He is the 3rd line winger we desperately need.

Kills penalties

PP QB from the half wall or the point, or down low.

Leadership oozes from him the same way it does from Bergeron

He is a Swede, and could "chat" with Soderberg about the organization for us.

He is up at years end when we need the money.

Can play on any of the top 3 lines and be responsible defensively, and has a laser beam, creativity and a nose for the net.

He would thrive with 15-18 minutes a night, and could extend his career by another year or two.

Dream line up:

Seguin Krejci Lucic
Alfie Bergeron Horton
Marchand Kelly Peverly
Merlot

I actually think Alfie would re-up here on a 2 year deal, on fairly short money.

It works for me.
Ouch, I`m not a fan at all of trading Spooner, I think this team could have a very special offensive player, one who could quarterback that PP for years to come off the half wall. I`d put Koko in there but not Spooner with all due respect, I envision Spooner burning the B`s for years to come wearing a Sens jersey...................no thanks

Old
02-20-2013, 09:11 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by the overrated View Post
Unless it was an unexpected, larger "youth for youth" trade (that involved a young player that was signed for multiple years at a cap-friendly deal) I don't see Chiarelli trading for a long term solution.

I think the main reason that Bourque is getting such a long opportunity is that Chiarelli really wants that 3rd line spot to be won by someone in-house, so he can focus his available money on re-signing Rask & resigning/replacing Horton & Khudobin.

A rental that would help on winning a Cup this year and then likely be let walk in the off-season is just more likely to me than an older guy that is going to be kept around ... unless, of course, it was the expense of a Horton or Kelly or Peverley in the off-season.
If Horty`s play continues, he will have a hard time convincing Chia to re-up him IMO. Lots of season left but to this point, outside of a few decent games, he`s been invisible

Old
02-20-2013, 09:12 AM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

I would pass based on what I think it would cost. Dude is very long in the tooth and he's not the answer. If you want to really improve, take a run at Bobby Ryan. At least then the prospects and picks wouldn't be a total waste.

LSCII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 09:12 AM
22Brad Park

i just went looked at all UFA for next yr and not alot to choose from as far as rentals.

22Brad Park is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 09:14 AM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
I have been pushing hard on Alfie since the lockout started. I WOULD trade Spooner for him, and a 2nd, and that would get it done IMO. Caron and a 1st works for me too. I think Alfie fixes so many problems the Bruins face right now, and he has CLOSE ties with Kelly and Z, and Chia knows him. OTT has got to to into total rebuild mold right now. There season is toast, and they should be moving everyone who is up at years end. Alfie included.

Kills penalties

Can play on any of the top 3 lines and be responsible defensively, and has a laser beam, creativity and a nose for the net.

He would thrive with 15-18 minutes a night, and could extend his career by another year or two.

Dream line up:

Seguin Krejci Lucic
Alfie Bergeron Horton
Marchand Kelly Peverly
Merlot

I actually think Alfie would re-up here on a 2 year deal, on fairly short money.

It works for me.
I disagree. This team doesn't need a 3rd line winger. It needs a top 6 winger to push someone from one of those lines down to the third line. The cost to obtain would likely be high, and I don't think DA improves the team enough to warrant the price.

Old
02-20-2013, 09:15 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSCII View Post
I disagree. This team doesn't need a 3rd line winger. It needs a top 6 winger to push someone from one of those lines down to the third line. The cost to obtain would likely be high, and I don't think DA improves the team enough to warrant the price.
Isn`t that Bourque

Old
02-20-2013, 09:16 AM
22Brad Park

I bet Bruins could add Erskine for depth He a UFA at yrs end.Big tough SOb who will play hard if an injury pops up.I know he not no stud etc etc etc but he still one them guys tough to play against and will be good have him with load games in March.

Old
02-20-2013, 09:16 AM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
Isn`t that Bourque
Is it wrong that this made me laugh out loud? Well done Andrew, well done...

Old
02-20-2013, 09:18 AM
22Brad Park

Quote:
I only see one of them that fits being a UFA at years end.He plays for Flames.I do not want to see Bruins have to make any trades where they lose a top 6 guy to add one.That be more lateral I think so i agree with u on that..There is not alot top line guys thats are UFA at end yr available now for prospects type move.Iginla would be one though i think.

Old
02-20-2013, 09:21 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Is it wrong that this made me laugh out loud? Well done Andrew, well done...
My pleasure, never been known for my quick wit

Two issues right now, size on that 3rd line, big body to CONSISTENTLY win the board battles. Bourque had a fantastic game against the Jets and won many but hasn`t consistently and like you, a concern about the status of Horton or snipe ability on the team, things could change of course but right now, he`s struggling and it`s plain as day to see. Just not sure who`s out there who could fill that spot.

The team in general is gripping their collective sticks, putting up pts and that can sometimes hide holes, for me the D is fine, goaltending is solid, I never worry about the 2nd/4th lines, 3rd line is lacking puck possesion which, a guy like Pouliot was very good at helping to create, and the first is struggling with Nate just not being dangerous nearly enough.

Old
02-20-2013, 09:22 AM
ToddRundgren
A Wizard A True Star

Quote:
I would pass based on what I think it would cost. Dude is very long in the tooth and he's not the answer. If you want to really improve, take a run at Bobby Ryan. At least then the prospects and picks wouldn't be a total waste.
I don't think the Ducks have any reason to trade Ryan. Especially this year. We would have to blow them away. They look really good so far.

I also think Alfredsson is still a top 6 guy.

I really like Scotia hockey's proposed lineup. Marchand can produce wherever you put him. Put him w/ Kelly and Peverley and watch them put up some points. Love it.

ToddRundgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 09:26 AM
22Brad Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancelotLink View Post
I don't think the Ducks have any reason to trade Ryan. Especially this year. We would have to blow them away. They look really good so far.

I also think Alfredsson is still a top 6 guy.

I really like Scotia hockey's proposed lineup. Marchand can produce wherever you put him. Put him w/ Kelly and Peverley and watch them put up some points. Love it.
I think Alfie be guy on third or Horty.I can not see Bruins having three righthanded shots on same line not to mention Marchand has earned that spot and no need to upset Bruins top goal scorer...I have go back make sure thats what he said was put Alfie on with Bergie and Seguin.Excuse me if i am wrong.Sorry I was wrong but his proposal was still three right handed shots on same line,I do not like that.

Old
02-20-2013, 09:27 AM
patty59

I'm on board with getting Alfie, The guy is solid and old guys do well here.

patty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 09:36 AM
cneely

Quote:

Kills penalties

Dream line up:

Seguin Krejci Lucic
Alfie Bergeron Horton
Marchand Kelly Peverly
Merlot

It works for me.
Agree with everything except for giving up Spooner. The kid is 21 and putting up close to a point a game in his first pro season.

He's going to be a keeper.

cneely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 09:37 AM
MTaylorJ1

Quote:
Agree, although I don't necessarily think the acquired winger needs to push someone down, because if you look at Seguin-Horton-Peverley as our RWs and you're acquiring a LW or C, the chances of acquiring a player that pushes Marchand/Lucic or Krejci/Bergeron down a line at the deadline is close to nill (mostly because the type of player that is better than those 4 means one of them probably went the other way in the trade).

MTaylorJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 09:44 AM
dup7

just checked the sens board

and they seem surprisingly open to sending Alfy to Boston for a run at the cup.

dup7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 09:45 AM
MTaylorJ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dup7 View Post
and they seem surprisingly open to sending Alfy to Boston for a run at the cup.
They're probably dying to use the assets they get from us to help bring in O'Reilly.

Old
02-20-2013, 09:52 AM
Braunbaer
also a giraffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTaylorJ1 View Post
They're probably dying to use the assets they get from us to help bring in O'Reilly.
I think they just want their franchise player to have one last shot at the cup since they know he won't win it all in Ottawa.

Braunbaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 09:55 AM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
Quote:
Yea and people in hell need ice water.

But in the end, they need to upgrade the 3rd line wing. Chris Bourque is not going to cut it when one of the top lines is shut down.

Morris Wanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 09:56 AM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTaylorJ1 View Post
Agree, although I don't necessarily think the acquired winger needs to push someone down, because if you look at Seguin-Horton-Peverley as our RWs and you're acquiring a LW or C, the chances of acquiring a player that pushes Marchand/Lucic or Krejci/Bergeron down a line at the deadline is close to nill (mostly because the type of player that is better than those 4 means one of them probably went the other way in the trade).
It really depends on whom they can get, but you raise a fair point.

Old
02-20-2013, 10:02 AM
Ruzicka38
Oh man

I don't want him. He is obviously good, but that also means he is expensive. I'm not sure I want to sell too much of the future for a rental. Especially since I don't believe he puts this team over the top. Just my $.02.
I'd like to see them target somebody on the Peverly level. Somebody who scores, but will cost something like Camper and a 4th.

Ruzicka38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 10:04 AM
MTaylorJ1

Quote:
It really depends on whom they can get, but you raise a fair point.
Depends on a ton of things. Rather than looking at lines, I almost think they need to acquire someone in the range of not as good as the top 5 (because I can't foresee someone better than one of those guys coming available, but maybe I'd be surprised), but not WORSE than Peverley.

Really what I want them to do is make Chris Kelly the #9 forward. How they arrange the lines afterwards is superfluous to me. At that point it's all about fit. For example, If they brought in say O'Reilly. You could partner up each of your 3 best wings (Marchand, Lucic, Seguin) with your 3 best centers (Bergeron, Krejci, O'Reilly) and then fill the blanks on each of the other lines. But then to your initial point, that would have pushed someone down to the 3rd line. Especially in a sprint like this season is, rather than go 19-19-14 with your top 3 lines, it would look more like 18-17-16, leaving them all fresh for the playoffs when I'm guessing other teams are going to wind up gassed. How the 3rd line is currently constructed terrifies me not because of how the team has played, but how it will pay when 1. fatigue hits and 2. and injury or two occurs.

Old
02-20-2013, 10:05 AM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:

Kills penalties

Dream line up:

Seguin Krejci Lucic
Alfie Bergeron Horton
Marchand Kelly Peverly
Merlot

It works for me.
And to think I nearly missed this comment. Of course, my response to the bolded is: